Sponsored by:

New to me 2017 C43 Cabrio Exhaust ?s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 11:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 c43 cabriolet
New to me 2017 C43 Cabrio Exhaust ?s

I just picked up a 2017 C43 cabrio with only 25k miles. We were looking more for a regular c300 but once we drove the amg there was no going back. It’s been one of my dream cars and since we’ve had to cancel trips and who knows what will happen next we went for it. We love the car and it’s in fantastic shape. The only thing is the previous owner deleted the mufflers and replaced with straight pipe. The sound is amazing. However, when just cruising around 70-80 on the freeway there is a lot of drone and vibration into the cabin. I’m not a mechanic or a car buff and don’t care about totally tuning this car. But I love seeing what some people do to their vehicles on this site. I’m wondering if there’s a simple, relatively inexpensive way to get the car back to stock or if there’s an exhaust system that doesn’t cost a lot that will take some of the drone without losing the sound under throttle. The inspection says that the rest of the exhaust system is intact up to where the mufflers were deleted. Could I just get oem mufflers put back on? Also my car did not have the adjustable amg exhaust. It was just the stock exhaust. Thanks in advance for any insite. I also have some questions about hardwire installing a radar detector but that will be a different tissue thread....
Old 04-19-2020, 01:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,512 Likes on 2,136 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Congrats on your car!

Is the droning/vibration you are talking about a pulsing vibration on the freeway?
Old 04-19-2020, 02:15 PM

2017 c43 cabriolet
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Congrats on your car!

Is the droning/vibration you are talking about a pulsing vibration on the freeway?
I wouldn’t call it pulsing. Just when going about 70-80 the rpms are around 2200-2500 in 9th gear and it’s a steady droning. Sounds/feels like a ski boat cruising along. You can feel the vibration in the armrest and up into the dash a bit.

Old 04-19-2020, 02:16 PM

2017 c43 cabriolet
I’m also wondering if someone has upgraded their exhaust and has the oem mufflers they want to sell that might work for me. I’d probably be fine with the oem parts.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,512 Likes on 2,136 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by abd1
I wouldn’t call it pulsing. Just when going about 70-80 the rpms are around 2200-2500 in 9th gear and it’s a steady droning. Sounds/feels like a ski boat cruising along. You can feel the vibration in the armrest and up into the dash a bit.
I see. If it was pulsing it would be the driveshaft.
My vehicle is a 2017 C43 pre-facelift sedan and have the driveshaft vibration issue (not yet confirmed though as I haven't been able to get my vehicle looked at for this issue and other issues but the other members on this forum that did have it looked at, confirmed it was the driveshaft and fixed it once it is replaced) but that is a pulsing vibration unlike how yours is constant vibrating.
If that is the case, you might be right about the modifications made to your vehicle or it might simply be the run flats.

Good luck getting your car fixed
Old 04-20-2020, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
I just picked up a 2017 C43 cabrio with only 25k miles. We were looking more for a regular c300 but once we drove the amg there was no going back. It’s been one of my dream cars and since we’ve had to cancel trips and who knows what will happen next we went for it. We love the car and it’s in fantastic shape. The only thing is the previous owner deleted the mufflers and replaced with straight pipe. The sound is amazing. However, when just cruising around 70-80 on the freeway there is a lot of drone and vibration into the cabin. I’m not a mechanic or a car buff and don’t care about totally tuning this car. But I love seeing what some people do to their vehicles on this site. I’m wondering if there’s a simple, relatively inexpensive way to get the car back to stock or if there’s an exhaust system that doesn’t cost a lot that will take some of the drone without losing the sound under throttle. The inspection says that the rest of the exhaust system is intact up to where the mufflers were deleted. Could I just get oem mufflers put back on? Also my car did not have the adjustable amg exhaust. It was just the stock exhaust. Thanks in advance for any insite. I also have some questions about hardwire installing a radar detector but that will be a different tissue thread....

This:
https://www.awe-tuning.com/mercedes-...-sedan-exhaust

The touring edition should tame your drone without taming the rest of the rumble too much. AWE is pretty active on here. I'm sure they will be pretty responsive if you reach out.

Last edited by Mr. J; 04-21-2020 at 12:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
abd1 (04-21-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 06:48 PM

2017 c43 cabriolet
Originally Posted by Mr. J
This:
https://www.awe-tuning.com/mercedes-...-sedan-exhaust

The touring edition should tame your drone without taming the rest of the rumble too much. AWE is pretty active on here. I'm sure they will be pretty responsive if you reach out.
I spoke to my local AWE dealer and they called AWE and it turns out the touring system won't work on the cabriolet due to stiffening plates Mercedes installs on the bottom of the car to help keep the chassis stiff. Any other solutions? I'd like to maintain some of the snarl I have with straight pipes but the highway drone is a bit of a headache on a 2+ hour drive. I'm concerned the stock mufflers will take away too much fun.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
I spoke to my local AWE dealer and they called AWE and it turns out the touring system won't work on the cabriolet due to stiffening plates Mercedes installs on the bottom of the car to help keep the chassis stiff. Any other solutions? I'd like to maintain some of the snarl I have with straight pipes but the highway drone is a bit of a headache on a 2+ hour drive. I'm concerned the stock mufflers will take away too much fun.
That's a bummer. Sorry for steering you the wrong way. Maybe look for a good custom exhaust shop your area? I think if you add a pair of performance oriented mufflers but keep the resonator deleted you'll get something more to your liking than the straight pipes. It sounds like you'll need to do a little more research to determine fitment. I think a good custom shop should be able to help you out.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
W205 C43
I have just the mufflers from the touring exhaust for sale if you interested. They came off of a 17 C43 sedan. It was straight piped (resonator and muffler deleted) the day I took delivery but like you I did not care for the drone. I replaced the straight section with those mufflers.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
W205 C43
AWE mufflers

I have AWE mufflers from a '17 C 43 sedan for sale.

Last edited by Detrick Oliver; 04-24-2020 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-28-2020, 03:16 PM

2017 c43 cabriolet
Originally Posted by Detrick Oliver
I have AWE mufflers from a '17 C 43 sedan for sale.
pm sent