Sponsored by:

Non PE resonator delete

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 02:26 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 AMG C43 Coupe
Non PE resonator delete

I bought my 18 C43 coupe as a demo which did not come with the PE. I still find the exhaust sounds pretty good in S+ and do get some decent fun noise on up/downshifts. Having said that, I have always yearned for a little more volume. I have owned 2 other C350's and have deleted the resonator on both with decent results. I decided to bring my car to the same muffler shop with the intention of doing the same res delete however I was told with my car being a turbo it would make zero difference to the exhaust note or volume. There was no clear explanation why this is and makes me wonder what the purpose of the resonator is then?
The suggestion was to do both muffler delete which could easily be reversed if I didn't like it; The cost was reasonable. I decided to give it a shot! In S+ the car was much louder and the exhaust note deeper. I was tossing back and forth on whether it sounded awesome or more like a car without mufflers (not sure how else to explain it). The more I drove it is the better it started to sound; I was pretty happy with the inexpensive mod! The real disappointment came when I decided to put the car into Comfort..... I generally do not drive in comfort outside of winter (in Toronto) however my wife does whenever she drives my car. With the car shifting at around 2000 RPM in comfort mode it was just a constant loud drone, no real exhaust note to speak of. It sounded like an old beater whose mufflers had fallen off! I want my car to sound at the very least "normal" in all drive modes so I immediately went back to the shop and my mufflers are right back where they started!
I am still wondering about the Resonator delete though. I am having a hard time believing what the mechanic said in regards to the turbo. Can anyone educate me on what if any improvement deleting it will have?
Old 06-25-2020, 06:22 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
C43
It actually might be exactly what you're looking for. the video link I have included below, the guy says not to delete just the mufflers otherwise "the bass tone between idle and about 3k rpm is "wild"". So contrary to what you might think, removing the middle resonator may actually remove some of that low end drove

Old 06-25-2020, 08:12 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
C43 AMG
Originally Posted by coop16
I bought my 18 C43 coupe as a demo which did not come with the PE. I still find the exhaust sounds pretty good in S+ and do get some decent fun noise on up/downshifts. Having said that, I have always yearned for a little more volume. I have owned 2 other C350's and have deleted the resonator on both with decent results. I decided to bring my car to the same muffler shop with the intention of doing the same res delete however I was told with my car being a turbo it would make zero difference to the exhaust note or volume. There was no clear explanation why this is and makes me wonder what the purpose of the resonator is then?
The suggestion was to do both muffler delete which could easily be reversed if I didn't like it; The cost was reasonable. I decided to give it a shot! In S+ the car was much louder and the exhaust note deeper. I was tossing back and forth on whether it sounded awesome or more like a car without mufflers (not sure how else to explain it). The more I drove it is the better it started to sound; I was pretty happy with the inexpensive mod! The real disappointment came when I decided to put the car into Comfort..... I generally do not drive in comfort outside of winter (in Toronto) however my wife does whenever she drives my car. With the car shifting at around 2000 RPM in comfort mode it was just a constant loud drone, no real exhaust note to speak of. It sounded like an old beater whose mufflers had fallen off! I want my car to sound at the very least "normal" in all drive modes so I immediately went back to the shop and my mufflers are right back where they started!
I am still wondering about the Resonator delete though. I am having a hard time believing what the mechanic said in regards to the turbo. Can anyone educate me on what if any improvement deleting it will have?
The purpose of the resonator is to help suppress the drone, like the sound you are complaining about so I wouldn't do it.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:22 AM

2018 AMG C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by Charles T
It actually might be exactly what you're looking for. the video link I have included below, the guy says not to delete just the mufflers otherwise "the bass tone between idle and about 3k rpm is "wild"". So contrary to what you might think, removing the middle resonator may actually remove some of that low end drove

https://youtu.be/lvCskB_QR7s?t=140
This is a great video!! Details exactly what I've gone through. I will admit I'm a little gun shy with another attempt at deleting anything once again.
the video gives me something to think about though.... thanks!
Old 06-26-2020, 07:26 AM

2018 AMG C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by VitaminJB
The purpose of the resonator is to help suppress the drone, like the sound you are complaining about so I wouldn't do it.
Appreciate the input. I'm definitely not in any rush to once again delete any part of the exhaust at this point. I may just continue to enjoy the car as is; However I took my brother in law's 2017 C63s coupe for a drive last night and after hearing that thing roar my car sounds like a Tesla! lol
Old 07-06-2020, 12:37 PM

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts
C450,GLC 63,VW GTI
@coop16 you can also get my armytrix axleback and just flip the switch when you want to :-P have the best of both worlds.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:58 PM

2018 AMG C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by SilverBullet18
@coop16 you can also get my armytrix axleback and just flip the switch when you want to :-P have the best of both worlds.
Also a great option!! Thanks!
Not looking to spend a great deal of money on the exhaust.... the muffler delete was a cheap experiment. If I do any upgrading at this point it will be into a C63s!
Old 07-20-2020, 09:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
c450
Do you still have the exhaust??
Old 07-20-2020, 09:38 PM

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts
C450,GLC 63,VW GTI
yup still available
Old 07-20-2020, 09:57 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
c450
I pm u