C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone went backwards? FL Lights to PFL?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 07:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,654 Likes on 2,257 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Anyone went backwards? FL Lights to PFL?

Hi guys,

I currently have a 2017 Mercedes-Benz C43 Sedan that has nothing but problems (most likely it is a lemon and the problem is we don't have the lemon law) but I really like the C43 especially the pre-facelift, so I've been thinking if I should trade it in and get a new 2020 Mercedes-Benz C43 Sedan or used 2019 for the purpose of this "project" and swap a few things.

Only problem is, obviously I might lose some crackles and pops and bangs (maybe not all but still), oh well.... and I really hate the facelift taillights and headlights, while the single slat grille is nice (I prefer the diamond one). Maybe change the front bumper and maybe (change the diffuser and exhaust to pre-facelift, probably will leave that out though due to cost).

Those who driven both pre-facelift and facelift, kindly, please share your experience on how much more quiet is the new car? Please also if you can, describe how much different the sound is, tone, pitch, etc.?

So the question is, is it possible? Are the lights plug-and-play or needs to be coded? As for ILS, do you think I must get the full-led lights from factory or can just retrofit the old ILS without any issues and still get all the features? I think the part numbers are different for most of these parts? The pre-facelift diamond grille also might be different judging by the part number, no worries, I guess we can use the facelift C300 grille (with the sport package which comes with the diamond grille) Are the front bumper flicks on the facelift removable? That way, I don't have to swap the whole bumper.

I read a couple of threads that talked about going from pre-facelift to facelift headlights, bumpers, diffuser, exhaust tips. That is what sparked the idea, what if I go completely backwards? Back in time?

Appreciate anyone that has done this or can provide any thoughts on this. I hope everyone stays safe during this pandemic as well! Best wishes to everyone from Canada.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 06-28-2020 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:22 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
2019 C43
Why not sell your problematic 2017 and buy a late-production 2018. Sounds like a 2019 or newer would be a waste for you.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by ////AMG_C43
Why not sell your problematic 2017 and buy a late-production 2018. Sounds like a 2019 or newer would be a waste for you.
@////AMG_C43 I know you might find me crazy for even starting this thread in this first place. I apologize if that is what you feel but I did think about it (no, it doesn't make me appear less crazy just because I thought about it)

Anyways, thanks for taking your time to post your suggestion. Hmmm, I considered that but I don't know, I do like the facelift interior changes with the digital screens, the updated COMAND, I also like how they tweak the damping of Ride Control and made the ride less stiff, I just hate the quieter exhaust of the facelift and exterior changes. Except maybe the exhaust, it does look good. The pre-facelift is just more subtle, which is good in its own ways. I also heard that the facelift interior build quality is improved, less rattles and squeaks and less wind noise...

Retrofitting the digital screen, as far as I know, is going to be tricky and expensive at the same time. I can maybe retrofit the steering wheel, maybe that is about it, and the infotainment screen but I can't retrofit the "slight" improved COMAND (ik it is no MBUX).

I don't know man, I saw a couple of pre-facelift lights sold on eBay and it is cheap (ik eBay might not be the most trustworthy source but generally buying from a third-party and not MB, can be a fraction of the price)

I also heard that some of the problems I am facing is present on some members' 2018 C43 as well, so ya, I really don't know what to do. Well, to be honest, I can for sure test drive the vehicle first and do a PPI if decided on the vehicle but most of the problems are ranging to slight annoyances (rattles and squeaks, also window noise from driver's side window) to seriously annoying things (and even annoying when some are intermittent and dealership cannot duplicate when they are test driving it) such as the transmission bang and clunk sound and randomly downshifting multiple gears and up-shifting multiple gears on the highway without even flooring the vehicle, the whining diff, pulsing vibration on the highway at a certain speed, whistling vents in the winter. Recently weird scratching sound when accelerating in comfort mode (happens just before transmission shifts), occasional grinding noise when turning steering wheel (and when it happens the steering wheel is hard to turn) and then it doesn't happen for a long time (super hard to duplicate but doesn't sound normal)

If you have any more thoughts please share, would love to hear what you think.

Anyone else that has any thoughts please share as well.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
I went from FL C43 front to PFL C63 Front, because I wanted to retain the twin blade AMG grille not the Panamericana that I find really odd on the W205.

I am not sure the lights can be done, it would be best to keep them the same in my opinion.

As for sound, if you like the pops and crackles of the PFL, then you will be disappointed with the FL sound.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:01 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by TModelle
I went from FL C43 front to PFL C63 Front, because I wanted to retain the twin blade AMG grille not the Panamericana that I find really odd on the W205.

I am not sure the lights can be done, it would be best to keep them the same in my opinion.

As for sound, if you like the pops and crackles of the PFL, then you will be disappointed with the FL sound.
Hmmm. I see, thanks for your input buddy.
and ya, I thought so, I know the sound is quieter but I just don't know how much worse it is.
Ya, I know where you are coming from when you say best to keep the lights the same. I guess there might be coding required and a lot of other annoyances, I did read other threads that went from pre-facelift tailights to facelift tailights and it was plug-and-play so I am not sure.
Hmmm, I didn't understand though, how come you changed the grille when there aren't many differences unless you changed the whole bumper as well?
Old 06-29-2020, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Hmmm. I see, thanks for your input buddy.
and ya, I thought so, I know the sound is quieter but I just don't know how much worse it is.
Ya, I know where you are coming from when you say best to keep the lights the same. I guess there might be coding required and a lot of other annoyances, I did read other threads that went from pre-facelift tailights to facelift tailights and it was plug-and-play so I am not sure.
Hmmm, I didn't understand though, how come you changed the grille when there aren't many differences unless you changed the whole bumper as well?
Going to C63 front requires new bumper, new grille, new fenders, new hood, and new front nose support frame, and a couple of other stuff.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:15 AM
Out Of Control!!

Going to C63 front requires new bumper, new grille, new fenders, new hood, and new front nose support frame, and a couple of other stuff.
Gotcha, I will write all that down incase I do get a facelift (which tbh I am undecided) and want to swap pre-facelift things on
Old 06-29-2020, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C190
C43 to C43 is just the bumper. C43 to C63 you will need all those other parts.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

C43 to C43 is just the bumper. C43 to C63 you will need all those other parts.
I see. Thanks for the information.