C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a way to keep recirculating the air without it turning off?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 03:23 PM

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
C43
Is there a way to keep recirculating the air without it turning off?

I tend to turn off my AC after a bit and just turn on the recirculating air, which does a really good job of just maintaining temperature inside the car. However, I notice that after about 10 minutes or so, the car automatically turns off air recirculation and the outside air just comes in and heat everything up again so I have to turn the AC back on. If I catch it fast enough I can click the button to recirculate air again but it's just 1 more thing to be distracted with while driving.

Is there no way to just keep this on? I read in the user manual that it will automatically disable after some time. This is the first car I've been in that wont let me keep air recirculation on for as long as I want.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:47 PM

C43
Bump! I'm guessing by the numerous replies that this is just how our C43 works and there is no work around
Old 09-01-2020, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 151 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
Just leave the ac on!
Old 09-01-2020, 05:15 PM

C43
Originally Posted by decorily
Just leave the ac on!
No man! I need that extra 5hp the AC is robbing me!
Old 09-07-2020, 04:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C350 Sport, 2019 C43
I have been wondering the same thing. I live in CA and the air quality is really bad. It is tolerable if I have it on recirc but I have eye/throat issues drawing 'fresh" air into the car. I will follow this thread and worst case contact the dealer. If I get resolution, I will post.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:47 PM

C43
Originally Posted by Bayard
I have been wondering the same thing. I live in CA and the air quality is really bad. It is tolerable if I have it on recirc but I have eye/throat issues drawing 'fresh" air into the car. I will follow this thread and worst case contact the dealer. If I get resolution, I will post.
That would be very helpful. I hate having to use the AC or heater all the time. In my other cars, I just leave it on for 5 minutes, then it gets to my desired temp and I just recirculate it for 30 minutes before turning it on again. Saves quite a bit in the long run.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,937 Likes on 2,629 Posts
2019 C63CS
Why making things complicated? I can understand the current air quality argument and those who are sensitive might wanna consider replacing the air filter with something that filters out more of the particles that are bothering you. Unfortunately, we don't get the optional air ionization in the USA, which is what would trap those particles. The interior doesn't just heat up from the outside air. It also heats up from the sun entering through the windows etc. The AC in these cars is not an on/off thing. The compressor is variable and it only runs as much as is necessary to maintain the cabin temperature. It's an automatic climate control and the objective of it is to keep the interior temperature at the set temperature. Much like the thermostat in your house. It will run the compressor as much as needed and control the air flow to make sure enough cool or warm air is entering the cabin to reach and maintain the set temperature. You are kidding yourself if you think you can do a better job manually messing with it. BTW, the AC doesn't just cool the interior, but it also removes moisture, that's why letting it run when it rains or during the winter keeps the windows from fogging up. To answer the original question, yes, the recirc automatically turns off after a while. I think it's to make sure the air inside the cabin doesn't get stale, and fresh oxygen is brought in.

Last edited by superswiss; 09-07-2020 at 08:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by superswiss:
////AMG_C43 (09-08-2020), DK_A250_Sport (04-06-2023)