Sponsored by:

Rattle searched and destroyed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 10:58 AM

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
C 43
Rattle searched and destroyed

I love my C43 but it has had a plastic crash from the rear seat area that was annoying for any car, let alone a supposed high end car. Indeed, my 2017 Jetta S, base car, is vault quiet despite 100% hard plastics and 1/3 the price of my 43. No car is perfect, alas...

I made sure the back seats were firmly in the latches, played with the headrests, no joy. After reading around, I found the culprit was a the plastic sheet at the very front of the trunk, near the seats.

I folded the seats down about halfway, and found the plastic sheet touches the metal body, in the front, at two points centered behind the middle of the seats-feel around and you'll find them- I used an adhesive felt (cheap, for furniture, any big box store) at the two points the plastic contacts the metal of the body...put the felt there. I also used the 1 inch round adhesive felt on the rubber contact points behind the seats...there are three or four of them, I placed the felt over the rubber circles. The seats now close more firmly on the latches.

Most of the plastic chatter busy-ness is now gone. How benz didn't catch the hard plastic tray chattering against the body is a mystery, but whatever. Hope this helps someone, it took all of 15 minutes to take the trunk apart, fold the seats halfway to get access to the place the plastic hits the metal in front, and re assemble. I had the adhesive felt from another project but IIRC it was all of $5.00.

Edit: Still some rattle. It's a nice day in the northeast so I tore the trunk apart again. Pulling the plastic tray up from the back, I found there were four more places the Plastic cover touches the metal frame (think the bottom of a mushroom). Four more adhesive and felt discs there too. Should have done this the first time.

Last edited by speedlaw; 11-06-2020 at 10:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DLAMG_1979 (10-28-2020)