Got into a gasoline fight with my car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Got into a gasoline fight with my car

Actually, the nozzle was faulty and as soon as I unclipped it and pointed it toward the car, it started spewing gasoline all over my paint.

I’ve spilled small amounts before on previous cars and never given it second thought besides dumping some water over the affected area.

But this was like a waterfall. Anything to be concerned about?

Filled a spray bottle with Optimum No Rinse and diluted it with water before spraying down the entire affected area at home. It’s like 10 degrees and snowing, so can’t give it a proper wash.

Still smells like gas a little in my garage.

Any thoughts welcomed.

Old 02-06-2021, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,837 Likes on 2,564 Posts
2019 C63CS
Something similar happened to me. The nozzle started to leak while pumping. Somehow the vapor suction system was malfunctioning, so there was fuel leaking out. Didn't get it all over the paint. It just leaked into the compartment. There's a drain pipe in there for when water leaks through the fuel door, so it can drain out. Depending where you spilled the fuel, you might have fuel in the drain, which causes the odor. I poured water into the compartment afterwards to flush the drain and that seems to have gotten rid of the remaining odor. Definitely had fuel mixed in the water that came out from underneath the car. I also have a touchless car wash nearby, so I just gave the car a wash afterwards. I don't really handwash the car during the rainy winter months anyway. It's a waste of time, so I just take it through the touchless regularly to keep it somewhat clean and then give it a good wash in the spring.
The following users liked this post:
zibby43 (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by superswiss
Something similar happened to me. The nozzle started to leak while pumping. Somehow the vapor suction system was malfunctioning, so there was fuel leaking out. Didn't get it all over the paint. It just leaked into the compartment. There's a drain pipe in there for when water leaks through the fuel door, so it can drain out. Depending where you spilled the fuel, you might have fuel in the drain, which causes the odor. I poured water into the compartment afterwards to flush the drain and that seems to have gotten rid of the remaining odor. Definitely had fuel mixed in the water that came out from underneath the car. I also have a touchless car wash nearby, so I just gave the car a wash afterwards. I don't really handwash the car during the rainy winter months anyway. It's a waste of time, so I just take it through the touchless regularly to keep it somewhat clean and then give it a good wash in the spring.
Thanks for the reply. You anticipated my next question as well.

The fuel definitely spilled all inside the gas cap compartment, so I'm guessing that is where the odor is coming from.

Judging by the info. you shared above, with the gas cap closed (obviously), I can just pour some distilled water into the compartment and let it drain through the little hole to the left of the fuel cap?

Also sounds like the paint should be fine? I completely soaked the area twice. Once at the gas station with a large cup of tap water, and once more at home with an entire spray bottle of diluted Optimum No Rinse. No touchless washes in my neck of the woods, so my only option for further protection (given the harsh weather right now), would be to take it to my detailer next week for a clay and a fresh coat of wax.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:05 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2016 C450 AMG Sport, 2018 GLE400
Will be fine...you'd be surprised how durable automotive paint is!
zibby43 (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,837 Likes on 2,564 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by zibby43
Thanks for the reply. You anticipated my next question as well.

The fuel definitely spilled all inside the gas cap compartment, so I'm guessing that is where the odor is coming from.

Judging by the info. you shared above, with the gas cap closed (obviously), I can just pour some distilled water into the compartment and let it drain through the little hole to the left of the fuel cap?

Also sounds like the paint should be fine? I completely soaked the area twice. Once at the gas station with a large cup of tap water, and once more at home with an entire spray bottle of diluted Optimum No Rinse. No touchless washes in my neck of the woods, so my only option for further protection (given the harsh weather right now), would be to take it to my detailer next week for a clay and a fresh coat of wax.
I didn't bother using distilled water and instead just wanted to flush it quickly. Fuel attacks plastic. I stepped into a puddle of fuel once at a gas station with my sneakers and I had to throw them away afterwards. Could not get rid of the odor. It was in the rubber sole, but I'm assuming they must expect that fuel gets spilled in there occasionally, so I wasn't too worried, but just didn't really want let it sit too long, either. Yeah, the paint should be fine if you washed the fuel off, however, fuel is a solvent, so it might have washed off the wax, so you may wanna consider applying a fresh coat of wax if it's a large area after thoroughly washing it. I did spill a bit of fuel in the past on the paint below the fuel door on previous cars, but it never left a mark. If you don't see a mark now, then it'll most likely be fine.
zibby43 (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by Boostman76
Will be fine...you'd be surprised how durable automotive paint is!
I figured as much, but I also figured there would be some good dudes on this board that knew it for a fact.

Much appreciated!

Originally Posted by superswiss
I didn't bother using distilled water and instead just wanted to flush it quickly. Fuel attacks plastic. I stepped into a puddle of fuel once at a gas station with my sneakers and I had to throw them away afterwards. Could not get rid of the odor. It was in the rubber sole, but I'm assuming they must expect that fuel gets spilled in there occasionally, so I wasn't too worried, but just didn't really want let it sit too long, either. Yeah, the paint should be fine if you washed the fuel off, however, fuel is a solvent, so it might have washed off the wax, so you may wanna consider applying a fresh coat of wax if it's a large area after thoroughly washing it. I did spill a bit of fuel in the past on the paint below the fuel door on previous cars, but it never left a mark. If you don't see a mark now, then it'll most likely be fine.
Thank you very much, superswiss. I'll pop out to the garage and pour some water down that little opening real quick.

Cheers!

Edit: Although I had already wiped the interior of the fuel compartment with my soapy towel earlier, I poured some distilled water down through the drain and watched it funnel out.

Looked like it was mostly just water. Put about 4 ounces or so through there. Didn't want to go too crazy because it's about to get down to -25 F tonight lol. That plastic in there seems pretty resilient. No signs of any stains or discoloration whatsoever, which is nice.

Last edited by zibby43; 02-07-2021 at 01:35 AM.
Old 02-07-2021, 12:47 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
AMG GTS , AMG C43
Sorry to hear about your bad experience! You have, however, given some credence to a quirk I've had my whole life....I'm 68 years old, have owned over 100 cars and have never used the auto shut-off at the pump. (I've also never used an automatic car wash) Yes, I've had some cold days pumping gas and winter washing cars back in our Chicagoland days. It's on my "bucket list" to use the shut-off and a car wash the next time we have a rental car. Some old habits just don't die (I still hand wax cars regularly after they're ceramic coated, too)
Old 02-07-2021, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by Petegtsv10
Sorry to hear about your bad experience! You have, however, given some credence to a quirk I've had my whole life....I'm 68 years old, have owned over 100 cars and have never used the auto shut-off at the pump. (I've also never used an automatic car wash) Yes, I've had some cold days pumping gas and winter washing cars back in our Chicagoland days. It's on my "bucket list" to use the shut-off and a car wash the next time we have a rental car. Some old habits just don't die (I still hand wax cars regularly after they're ceramic coated, too)
Thank you for the kind words. I think that’s a smart move on your part!

Unfortunately for me, this seemed to be a malfunctioning pump, as it began leaking gasoline as soon as I unclipped it. Handle wasn’t even depressed.

Bizarre stuff. And still charged me 97 cents for the fuel leaking out 😂