Sponsored by:

Road noise on 19 inch wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 09:46 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Corvette Grand Sport, Mercedes C43 sedan, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Road noise on 19 inch wheels

I bought my car with 18 inch wheels and the car was relatively quiet at speed. After I got 19 inch wheels (stock wheels with ps4 tires) I noticed at about 70mph the interior noise is unacceptable to the point I get tired or a headache after about an hour of driving. Is this normal? I know most of you run 19s on your c43 so I'm just trying to determine if I should get rid of the 19s because of all the noise or if there's something wrong with them. I know they'll be louder than 18s but I just didn't think they'd be this loud.
The following users liked this post:
MykhailoM (06-11-2024)
Old 03-20-2021, 12:11 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
2019 C43
Originally Posted by ctsvette
I bought my car with 18 inch wheels and the car was relatively quiet at speed. After I got 19 inch wheels (stock wheels with ps4 tires) I noticed at about 70mph the interior noise is unacceptable to the point I get tired or a headache after about an hour of driving. Is this normal? I know most of you run 19s on your c43 so I'm just trying to determine if I should get rid of the 19s because of all the noise or if there's something wrong with them. I know they'll be louder than 18s but I just didn't think they'd be this loud.
The noise levels you describe sound unusual for PS4's. I have 20" PS4's on my Porsche and they are quieter than the 19" Pilot Sport AS/3's on my C43.

I would check the tires for irregular wear patterns, age (mfg date codes), and correct air pressures. C63's running 19/20 PS4's have recommended air pressures of 33F/32R.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-20-2021, 03:14 AM

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
2017 AMG C43
I noticed a lot of road noise as well and what I did was install sound deadener from the rear seat back all the way through the trunk and in the doors and it's helped tremendously. Started with .80mil and then covered that with 157mil in the doors and 314 mil from rear seats throughout the trunk and talk about day and night difference. You might want to give that a shot instead of giving up on your 19-in rims. Hope this helped.

MykhailoM (06-11-2024)
Old 03-20-2021, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by ////AMG_C43
The noise levels you describe sound unusual for PS4's. I have 20" PS4's on my Porsche and they are quieter than the 19" Pilot Sport AS/3's on my C43.

I would check the tires for irregular wear patterns, age (mfg date codes), and correct air pressures. C63's running 19/20 PS4's have recommended air pressures of 33F/32R.

Hope this helps.
33 in the front send really low. Doesn't lower air pressure actually cause more road noise? I know it improves the ride but I've read it causes increased road noise. Anyone know what the recommended tire pressure is for the C63? Just trying to figure how different this is from the 43 as the 63 had wider tires I believe therefore lowering pressure requirements.
Old 03-20-2021, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Freder8d
I noticed a lot of road noise as well and what I did was install sound deadener from the rear seat back all the way through the trunk and in the doors and it's helped tremendously. Started with .80mil and then covered that with 157mil in the doors and 314 mil from rear seats throughout the trunk and talk about day and night difference. You might want to give that a shot instead of giving up on your 19-in rims. Hope this helped.

Funny you say that, I just ordered some 80mil kilmat for the trunk. Question, how did you remove the bag hangers on the side of the trunk? I couldn't seem to finagle it out when I was trying to figure out what I could remove. Final question is how much did it mask the exhaust sound, because that's my favorite part of the car 😀
MykhailoM (06-11-2024)
Old 03-20-2021, 10:57 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
2019 C43
33 in the front send really low. Doesn't lower air pressure actually cause more road noise? I know it improves the ride but I've read it causes increased road noise. Anyone know what the recommended tire pressure is for the C63? Just trying to figure how different this is from the 43 as the 63 had wider tires I believe therefore lowering pressure requirements.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...-pressure.html (C63 has effectively the same sidewall height as the C43)

As a point of reference, my Porsche's lower profile 20's have recommend pressures of 30 to 33 PSI. Albeit, a much lighter car.

Costs nothing to experiment.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
The C43 was the only German car I’ve ever owned that I had to install sound proofing to reduce road noise. It was the first thing I noticed when I first took it on the highway after having collected my car. It is normal.
The following 2 users liked this post by TModelle:
Freder8d (03-21-2021), MykhailoM (06-11-2024)
Old 03-21-2021, 06:06 AM

2017 AMG C43
Funny you say that, I just ordered some 80mil kilmat for the trunk. Question, how did you remove the bag hangers on the side of the trunk? I couldn't seem to finagle it out when I was trying to figure out what I could remove. Final question is how much did it mask the exhaust sound, because that's my favorite part of the car 😀
My 17' C43 didn't have bag hangers on the side of the trunk. Mine comes from under the rear deck lid and swings down. I didn't do underneath the rest deck lid so didn't encounter that issue. 1 layer of 80mil is ok, but for the wheel wells I also put on top of that 157mil sound deadener.
Amazon Amazon

and for the rear trunk I did 80mil and 314mil

Amazon Amazon

I also pulled out the fuse for that stupid synthetic exhaust sound that plays through the speakers. It's obviously quieter inside, but I can still hear my exhaust. But mine didn't come with the PE either. Do you have pics?

Last edited by Freder8d; 03-21-2021 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Misspelled words
MykhailoM (06-11-2024)
Old 03-22-2021, 09:10 AM

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts
Acura TL-SH, among others
My 17' C43 didn't have bag hangers on the side of the trunk. Mine comes from under the rear deck lid and swings down. I didn't do underneath the rest deck lid so didn't encounter that issue. 1 layer of 80mil is ok, but for the wheel wells I also put on top of that 157mil sound deadener. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B75PD8B...p_mob_ap_share
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LH1X7QX...p_mob_ap_share .
I also pulled out the fuse for that stupid synthetic exhaust sound that plays through the speakers. It's obviously quieter inside, but I can still hear my exhaust. But mine didn't come with the PE either. Do you have pics?
How much weight do you figure you added with the additional sound deadener?
Old 03-22-2021, 12:46 PM

My 17' C43 didn't have bag hangers on the side of the trunk. Mine comes from under the rear deck lid and swings down. I didn't do underneath the rest deck lid so didn't encounter that issue. 1 layer of 80mil is ok, but for the wheel wells I also put on top of that 157mil sound deadener. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B75PD8B...p_mob_ap_share

Here's a pic of the hook I'm talking about. I think I figured it out based off watching other MB interior removals. There's a little part that pulls out on the latch that allows you to remove it. Someone else asked about weight, I think with 2 boxes of kilmat and the foam it can't be more than 30 lbs. I don't even think I'll use that much. I'm going to take it in increments till I'm happy with how it sounds.

Old 03-23-2021, 03:42 AM

2017 AMG C43
Originally Posted by Howyalivin
How much weight do you figure you added with the additional sound deadener?
I Would say about 30#.
Old 03-23-2021, 03:46 AM

2017 AMG C43
Here's a pic of the hook I'm talking about. I think I figured it out based off watching other MB interior removals. There's a little part that pulls out on the latch that allows you to remove it. Someone else asked about weight, I think with 2 boxes of kilmat and the foam it can't be more than 30 lbs. I don't even think I'll use that much. I'm going to take it in increments till I'm happy with how it sounds.
Mine doesn't have those. Mine is a coupe. Idk if that makes any difference or not. I have a bag hook underneath the rear decklid only.

Bag hook from rear decklid
Old 03-24-2021, 11:21 AM

Do you know what the name of the fuse is for the fake engine sound? I'm curious how it sounds without it.