Sponsored by:

Brakes screeching in reverse?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 11:17 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe (2017)
Brakes screeching in reverse?

I've often noticed that when I'm reversing I will hear a screeching sound from the brakes even when I am applying no pressure to the brake. Where could this resistance be coming from that is causing the noise? The dealer told me that brake screeching is normal because they are high performance brakes or something... I don't have the carbon ceramics but I have whatever is below that on my C43 coupe. Has anyone had a similar issue and had it corrected?
Old 06-18-2021, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,937 Likes on 2,629 Posts
2019 C63CS
Basically mostly pad deposits and possibly glazed pads from insufficient use of the brakes. The pads are actually always slightly in touch with the rotors. There's just no pressure applied, but there isn't really a gap between the pads and the rotors when you are not on the brakes. This ensures that when you step on the brakes they bite fairly immediately as the pressure builds up instead of the pads first having to move closer to the rotors. So the pads wear in in the forward motion of the rotors, and it can be that you may get a noise going in reverse. Your dealer is correct in that they are performance brakes and are designed to handle hard braking and they should occasionally be used that way. It's important to bed your brakes for maximum performance. This ensures an even layer of pad material on the rotor, which will increase stopping power and eliminate/reduce any undesired noise. Below is a good video on the subject.

Old 06-18-2021, 01:35 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe (2017)
Thanks for the detailed response. Good to know there is nothing wrong with them. Will have to bed them
The following users liked this post:
Phil Brown (06-19-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 03:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43
Great answer

I was about to ask the same question, thanks for the complete answer!