Sponsored by:

Wesitec downpipes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C450
Wesitec downpipes

Happy Monday everyone, I did a search thru the forum regarding this post and couldn't find concrete answers to my inquiry that's why I'm creating yet again another " Weistec downpipes" thread.

I just had these downpipes installed by my mechanic friend and couple issues came up that I hope some of you can help figure out;

- The car sounds like if the exhaust was broken, I mean when a non turbo car has a whole on the exhaust manifold, it is louder on the engine than on the exhaust.
- I didn't have the funds for a stage 2 tune (here in Canada it cost around $1800) so he suggested we install them and use "O2 spacers" to avoid getting a CEL which we did but the car is now showing a CEL and experiencing jerking at times, acceleration is not smooth as it should be.

He checked the installation for fumes leak many times and his conclusion was that there was none, I trust him as a mechanic and but the noises I'm hearing makes me believe otherwise, he said the new noise is normal and that it will change "once I get the tune", I'm not sure about that...

Even tho the engine's performance should be my main concern after installing the dps, I'm most bother by the sound this change is producing, I will try to have some video clips later on but for now I'd appreciate any experiences you guys can share and opinions regarding my issues.

Thanks in advance!

I am really
Old 08-02-2021, 12:56 PM

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts
C450,GLC 63,VW GTI
Catless downpipes will always sound raspy and and honda civic-esque. I went with the LEM downpipes (200 cell high flow cats) and had a 02 sensor that they recommended and had been CEL free, with regards to performance since your car is not tuned the turbos are probably spinning faster because of less back pressure and your car does not know how to compensate because it still thinks the OEM DP's are in place.

If you want to go the less expensive route and not go stage 2 get a JB4 and data log and have BMS send you a custom map/ tune for catless pipes. That should fix the surging and also give you more power.

Old 08-02-2021, 07:34 PM

c43
I had the same problem when i went cat-less even with a tune. It did not sound right and felt weird vibrations everywhere. I switched to Logos Engineering Motorworks monster catted high flow 200 CEL and it fixed basically every problem i had. No smell no vibrations and a nice exhaust tone and no jerkiness from the back pressure. Id recommend if your are going to stay cat-less you get a tune.
The following users liked this post:
1SickGLC (10-27-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 08:53 PM

Received 311 Likes on 237 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by SilverC450
Happy Monday everyone, I did a search thru the forum regarding this post and couldn't find concrete answers to my inquiry that's why I'm creating yet again another " Weistec downpipes" thread.

I just had these downpipes installed by my mechanic friend and couple issues came up that I hope some of you can help figure out;

- The car sounds like if the exhaust was broken, I mean when a non turbo car has a whole on the exhaust manifold, it is louder on the engine than on the exhaust.
- I didn't have the funds for a stage 2 tune (here in Canada it cost around $1800) so he suggested we install them and use "O2 spacers" to avoid getting a CEL which we did but the car is now showing a CEL and experiencing jerking at times, acceleration is not smooth as it should be.

He checked the installation for fumes leak many times and his conclusion was that there was none, I trust him as a mechanic and but the noises I'm hearing makes me believe otherwise, he said the new noise is normal and that it will change "once I get the tune", I'm not sure about that...

Even tho the engine's performance should be my main concern after installing the dps, I'm most bother by the sound this change is producing, I will try to have some video clips later on but for now I'd appreciate any experiences you guys can share and opinions regarding my issues.

Thanks in advance!

I am really
As stated above, the sound you are experiencing is normal. Do you have the performance exhaust or the non-valved sport exhaust? I have mine with the FI Exhaust and it is not too raspy now that the exhaust has broken in. That said, catless downpipes without a stage 2 tune will generally result in less horsepower. In sum, your car is likely slower and sounds worse. Get a tune and fix one of these problems.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:20 PM

C450
Edit: multi quote reply below.

Last edited by SilverC450; 08-03-2021 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:34 PM

C450
Originally Posted by SilverBullet18
Catless downpipes will always sound raspy and and honda civic-esque. I went with the LEM downpipes (200 cell high flow cats) and had a 02 sensor that they recommended and had been CEL free, with regards to performance since your car is not tuned the turbos are probably spinning faster because of less back pressure and your car does not know how to compensate because it still thinks the OEM DP's are in place.

If you want to go the less expensive route and not go stage 2 get a JB4 and data log and have BMS send you a custom map/ tune for catless pipes. That should fix the surging and also give you more power.
Thanks, yeah definitely the catless dps add to the raspy sound which IMO is not a good match to the car, I like the car to sound loud but something like Audi's, nice deep growl.

I will be going with the stage 2 tune for sure, I just should've waited to do it all at once.

Originally Posted by Mineral43_
I had the same problem when i went cat-less even with a tune. It did not sound right and felt weird vibrations everywhere. I switched to Logos Engineering Motorworks monster catted high flow 200 CEL and it fixed basically every problem i had. No smell no vibrations and a nice exhaust tone and no jerkiness from the back pressure. Id recommend if your are going to stay cat-less you get a tune.
I can't believe that during all the searching I did before buying the dps I didn't see this type of feedback, now I know.

I'm assuming you did the stage 2 tune along with the LEM catted dps correct? Are you from Toronto by chance? if so, where did you get the LEM dps?

Originally Posted by C43HeartBoost
As stated above, the sound you are experiencing is normal. Do you have the performance exhaust or the non-valved sport exhaust? I have mine with the FI Exhaust and it is not too raspy now that the exhaust has broken in. That said, catless downpipes without a stage 2 tune will generally result in less horsepower. In sum, your car is likely slower and sounds worse. Get a tune and fix one of these problems.
After driving the car some more today I can definitely conclude the sound is not right, there has to be a leak, more so on the drivers side dp, you can hear clearly as if there was a leak, I don't believe that's how dps should sound.

I booked an appointment at a MB tuning shop to diagnose and take a look at this previous install... as my car is a C450 I guess it is the non-valved sport exhaust and yes, will absolutely be getting the tune.

Thanks all for the input!
Old 08-03-2021, 06:30 PM

C43
Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:20 PM

C450

Here is a vid from a cold start this morning, I can't believe that is how it suppose to be, to me it has a leak, what you guys think?

It makes more noise on the drivers side than on the passenger side.

Last edited by SilverC450; 08-04-2021 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:04 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts
S5,C450
It could be that the v-clamp is not aligned with the 2 sides and there may be a little gap letting air out. The other thing might be the gasket may have failed or not providing enough of a seal.
the gaskets are inexpensive, and should be changed when changing DP's
Old 08-04-2021, 10:21 PM

C43
Originally Posted by SilverC450
Here is a vid from a cold start this morning, I can't believe that is how it suppose to be, to me it has a leak, what you guys think?

It makes more noise on the drivers side than on the passenger side.
I do not see a video.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:08 PM

C450
Originally Posted by LogosMotorworks
It could be that the v-clamp is not aligned with the 2 sides and there may be a little gap letting air out. The other thing might be the gasket may have failed or not providing enough of a seal.
the gaskets are inexpensive, and should be changed when changing DP's
I'm sure it's the first but will check the gaskets, thanks for the advise!

I do not see a video.
Sorry I started uploading it but had to head home from the office, it is there now on my previous reply.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:11 AM

C43
Yeah man, that is 100% not right. Bad exhaust leak or pinched gasket.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:35 AM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
2018 MB GLC 43 AMG
Sounds like my Briggs powered riding lawn mower Fix er up!!!
Old 08-09-2021, 12:14 AM

C450
Yeah man, that is 100% not right. Bad exhaust leak or pinched gasket.
It was exhaust leak.

Originally Posted by 1SickGLC
Sounds like my Briggs powered riding lawn mower Fix er up!!!
LMAO, it was bad, I was driving in ECO all the time to avoid the looks if accelerating, glad it was only a week like that.

Problem fixed! My buddy didn't tied the top clamp enough as he was "afraid" the bolt would "break" and that cause the clamp to come off on the upper edge, he learnt that by placing and tightening the DPs at the turbo outlet first makes it much easier than attaching it at the flex pipe and then at the top.

Car is running perfect now and has a nice exhaust tone
The following users liked this post:
1SickGLC (10-27-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 01:39 AM

C43
Glad to hear it is fixed. Now get her a stage 2 tune 😎.
Old 08-12-2021, 03:25 PM

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts
2004 E55 K Wagon &. '96 SL500
Going to the expense and effort of fitting decat DPs on a C43 without tuning for it, is pointless.
there are much easier and cheaper ways to make it louder if that's all you wanted.
with the relatively small stock turbos running stock boost, the M276 has been proven to make less torque after having DPs fitted without tuning. A search on here will show proof of this.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c450 AMG 2016
Post I literally have the same issue ----

last week i was heading home, and sounded like I was surrounded by bikers or something and hard engine chokes, reduced power, etc. everything you mentioned down to the video! (I made a clip too and seriously thought it was mine).

I run AMR Tune Stage 2 Tune with Weistec catless downpipes.

I maintain my 2016 C450 AMG 4matic METICULOUSLY, I had it towed to the dealer to figure out the issue... the downpipes made by Weistec engineering had literally broken. this is only <8,000 miles into the tune. and 6 months in terms of timeline.
The driver-side downpipe was still attached to the back of the Turbo's but they cracked and I suppose at the bend due to the power pushed into them(?).

WEISTEC DOWNPIPES are the recommended performance upgrade to run the Stage 2 93 Octane MAP.

the passenger side has also begun to crack... AMR has yet to even reply and Weistec Engineering downpipes are garbage for something like this to happen after following every direction and requirement shows how much they spend on R&D. I am ordering another set of downpipes from another company but don't get me wrong. AMR tune is nice...but the comport is garbage too, my USB port for updates snapped into the device a few weeks after purchasing it... AMR Performance's response was literally "Buy another Comport at full retail---"

Which was damn near $3,000.... no support from either, wouldn't recommend them to anyone and this post is NOT an exaggeration... if that's how you treat someone who just dropped a couple of grand on your product only to hear a big "**** YOU" is a slap in the face to me.... i don't recommend either one AMR Performance Tuning nor Weistec Engineering for Downpipes (Catless)
Old 10-24-2021, 10:42 PM

C450,GLC 63,VW GTI
Get the monster downpipes from logos engineering motorworks. They are built like tanks and everything is over engineered.

Many many many great reviews. And yea...AMR notorious for what you said.. I stayed away.
and so should everyone. Based on my personal experience and others.

The following 2 users liked this post by SilverBullet18:
1SickGLC (10-27-2021), Amit Gandhi (10-25-2021)
Old 10-25-2021, 03:20 PM

c450 AMG 2016
Is there a way to blast them somewhere in here, I didn't know this when I first got it. want others to know and make an informed decision... I Just bought Redstar as a preference over anything really.

I am rounding up to near 65k miles, want to stay ahead of the standard service schedule, only had the Performance Tune and all upgrades for about 6 months or around 8k in miles.
i.e.
Spark plugs? Ignition Coils, tune up may be too soon, idk. thoughts?
Old 12-11-2021, 09:55 AM

Mercedes C43
Raspy C43

I just got a 2018 C43 and I decided to immediately upgrade it to a Stage 2. I had it flashed to a stage 2 before I got the downpipes for it and it sounded great. The second I got the downpipes and intakes installed I noticed that when hit 2500-3500 RPMs, I get the worst raspy sound that makes it sound like a riced out Civic. Past 3500 RPMs it sounds like a dream. I was recommended to install an x pipe and do a resonator delete to maybe solve the problem and now the raspy sound is just amplified (duh). Has anybody else experienced this raspy sound at a stage 2 or does anybody know how to fix this problem? I was maybe thinking to trade in my current downpipe for a catted downpipe to get rid of this sound. Any suggestions?
Old 12-11-2021, 12:08 PM

C450,GLC 63,VW GTI
Get the LEM downpipes and you'll thank me later. No rasp and it's 200 cell catted so you'll still flow nicely.

As a bonus no smell either