Show me your Dash Cams

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c43 amg
Question Show me your Dash Cams

Hey all

can I see how you all have your dash cams mounted, and brand?

Im about to order one but need ideas.
Old 10-03-2021, 01:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,843 Likes on 2,421 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Do you prefer to have them hardwired?

When picking a dashcam, pick at least 1080P so you can tell what the plate of a car says within a certain distance of the video, best is go 2K or 4K.

A high capacity SD card is also recommended unless you don't want to keep the footage for more than a few days as they get full quick especially for 4K cameras. Get something high quality, you don't want a card to fail during recording and preferably something with a high read/write rate or very least something that meets minimum requirements of the camera.

Get a dashcam that has bump sensors so it turns on to record an accident that happens in a parking lot when the car is off and then turns off to conserve battery power, unless you want to hardwire it so it is always on that way.

It will be helpful if you have the mic enabled as well, you don't necessary need a dashcam that has a built-in GPS but it may be helpful, another nice feature is wifi-direct that you can download an app to view the footage and download the footage to your phone without removing the SD card from the dashcam, this is especially useful if your phone doesn't support Micro-SD card which include most phones nowadays.

It is up to you if you want to get two separate cameras for front and back but I think it is a good idea to do that incase one fails, you still have footage from another perspective while-as if you only have a main camera in the front and a secondary lens connecting to the main camera, if the whole thing fails, you lose both footage.

It is up to you if you want a dashcam with a built-in screen, it is useful if you want to view the footage on the spot (especially if you don't get one with wifi direct, although the built-in screen is usually tiny and low resolution). Make sure to test the two cameras front and back in different lighting conditions, you can also rotate them to the angle of your liking, you want the rear camera to be above the trunk but still low enough to see part of the floor as you want to record people's plate when they get uncomfortably close and especially if something happens (although honestly, as long as you get a high resolution camera, this step can be omitted) The front camera on the other hand, you can be flexible. Make sure your rear window is wiped periodically if you have a sedan since it doesn't have a wiper, the last thing you want is blurry footage. You can set the ISO and white balance of the camera manually, just configure it to a value that works for you in both night and bright conditions, try not to set it so it is over or under exposed and you are golden.
Old 10-03-2021, 01:43 PM

Received 138 Likes on 121 Posts
2018 C43
I went with Viofo A129 Duo with regular 128gb SDCard. SDCard is dying after 3 years, recommend getting endurance SDCard designed for dashcam. The dashcam response so slowly now but snappy when I put in different SDCard. Other then checking it every other month, no problem nor accident knock on wood.

A129 duo is front and rear cam and is hardwired to the car. You can activate the parking mode but mine is turned off because it drains battery to 12.2v as car doesnt see the road enuff and spend most of it's time in the garage.

Also using A119 that's connected to cig port on other cars.