'17 C43 poor performance/sputtering issues in Northern climate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 C43 Coupe
'17 C43 poor performance/sputtering issues in Northern climate

Hi,

I've had this issue for 2 years now, only comes in the winter months mind you so it's definitely temperature-related.

I am in a climate which will vary quite a bit but in the winter will get as low as -45C (-49F). I typically let my car warm up for 1-2 minutes then would be off on my commute. My commute was typically 12 km (~7.5 miles) and would take me ~15-25 minutes. I have an uninsulated attached garage which is typically 16-25C warmer than outside so basically the coldest it has been in the garage is about -20C (-4F).

The reason I focus on the temperature so much is that the dealer is pointing to acclimate climate and suggesting that the vehicle is not "getting up to temperature" enough during my what they deem "short commutes" and that the exhaust is getting warm enough to cause a lot of condensation but when parked, typically outside at work, it then freezes up and is creating a blockage within the exhaust. This happens over time and continues to form apparently and is causing significant blockage within the exhaust, enough such that it is causing what feels like backfiring, I reported the issue prior, '17 C43 AMG Overboost (according to digital guage) and loss of power - MBWorld.org Forums. The issue prior was happening in a much warmer month, October, in which they found a leaky injector which was fouling out a pack. That was all replaced and it was back to ok"ish" then work-from-home and all that meant I barely drove the car. Now I'm back to driving it in these cold days and months and I'm noticing the exact same issues.

Their fix for this was to literally drill holes in the exhaust. Is this.. is this real life? Is this the actual fix? Has anyone else had this issue? What was the fix?

Old 01-07-2022, 05:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,554 Likes on 2,170 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Hmmm never heard of this issue (as in personally or on the forums) or maybe I haven't paid close enough attention to mines or maybe mines (also 2017) is quieter, or maybe my passengers or radio was too loud. Let me see if I can hear it and I will let you know.

Other than that, um the solution is "interesting" reminds me of dealerships putting silica gel packs (well actually it wasn't silica gel packs but other moisture absorbers) in headlights to deal with condensation problems in certain MB models.

Sorry to hear about it but keep us all posted.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 01-07-2022 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:34 PM

C43
I have a 2019 in Ontario, Canada. This winter I've had to park outside and do a 15 minute daily commute. I've been having starting issues all of January where it intermittently doesn't start. It almost always starts right up the second or third try except last week when it wouldn't start at all. Sometimes it's a cold start problem, sometimes a hot start. Sometime it fails with the app and sometimes it's the physical starter button. It seems totally random. Dealer swapped the battery and there was only one code ever generated related to the throttle body. Went to start it again today after sitting a day and half and sure enough, failed the first start but fired up on the second. Dealer says it's an icing issue with the throttle body and they've been having a bunch of issues this month with cars basically freezing up.

So my car has never really "sputtered", but the day before it died and wouldn't start at all it felt unusually sluggish. It was holding 1-2 gears lower than normal during my whole commute, where it's normally hunting for the highest possible gear in comfort mode.
Old 02-27-2023, 03:38 PM

2017 C43 Coupe
I sort of started a different thread as a continuation for the problem here, '17 C43 poor performance/sputtering issues in Northern climate - MBWorld.org Forums
Old 02-28-2023, 05:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,554 Likes on 2,170 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Mang0
I sort of started a different thread as a continuation for the problem here, '17 C43 poor performance/sputtering issues in Northern climate - MBWorld.org Forums
I also have a 2017 but sedan and never had this issue, hopefully you figure out what the issue is, let me check your other thread and see what others say and hopefully they can figure out what it is and how to prevent it on your car.
Old 03-15-2024, 12:07 PM

'18 C43
Hi, have you solved the problem? I've been having the same issue for the last couple of months now. I live in Belgium and it doesn't really matter how warm it is apparently in my case. Last weekend, it stopped doing this for 3 days in a row, other than that, it has always done it for the last couple of months, every time I used it. The workshop can't figure it out and there are not error codes in the computer, it's driving me crazy. Fuel consumption has gone up significantly and boost is just acting as if it had too much coffee all the time, I especially notice this when driving at a constant speed. It occurs most often at around 60-70-80 kph.