C43 Squeaking over bumps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2023, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG
Angry C43 Squeaking over bumps

Hi all,

I've had this ongoing issue with my 2017 C43 sedan, and I am seeking any advice I can get. Especially during colder weather, the car squeaks every single time I go over a bump (Please see the attached video to hear the squeak I am referring to). I was convinced it was a suspension issue, so I opened my hood and would push the car up and down to try to find the source of the noise. Once I did that, I was convinced I heard the noise coming from the strut mounts. I went ahead and ordered brand new strut mounts and installed them, but to no avail, the noise was still there. I was so fed up with this annoying noise; it literally makes the car almost undrivable, so I went ahead and took it a step further and purchased brand new front struts, left and right. After having the new strut mounts installed, I went ahead and installed the brand new front struts, and my process of thinking was, okay, if the strut mounts aren't the issue, it must be the struts themselves. I drove home and did not hear any noise; that is, until I approached a school bump and heard the same exact noise that was bothering my soul. The brand new strut mounts and struts did not fix anything, and at this time I have 0 clue what the issue could be. Any and all help is much appreciated.
Attached Files
Old 02-14-2023, 08:50 PM

C43 AMG
(Forgot to mention, the attached video was with brand new strut mounts and struts installed)
Old 02-14-2023, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,563 Posts
2019 C63CS
I have the same creaking occasionally on my C63, but not nearly as bad as yours. For me it only happens if I drive up a driveway or so on an angle at low speeds. It doesn't get very cold here, and it has gone away the last few days I drove it. I also thought it must be the suspension, but as I was just doing research it might actually be the pano roof. Known issue. Mine was lubricated a couple of years ago when I was complaining about creaks and it may be time again. For me the creaking is coming from behind me around the seat area, but I didn't think it could come from above. At first I thought it was the seat itself. I'm monitoring it and see if I can track it down, but you might be looking in the wrong place as well. It's easy to check. Open your sun/pano roof and if the noise is gone then you know what is causing it.
Old 02-14-2023, 09:49 PM

C43 AMG
Thing is, I dont have a pano roof. From what I hear, the squeaking comes directly from the front dashboard area where the windshield meets the dash. I definitely am looking in the wrong place, and after blowing a nice amount of money, I don't even know where to look anymore. Worth to mention, the car has done well over 25k miles on New York roads which are catastrophic to say the least. Thanks for the insight regardless man.
Old 02-14-2023, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,563 Posts
2019 C63CS
Dashboard creaks are also a known issue in this generation. I had a broken clip in the driver side A-pillar and they also put some felt in known areas of the dashboard that creak. Those are mostly gone. Occasionally when it's cold I still get a little bit of creaking from the dashboard but it goes away once the interior has warmed up. Unfortunately, some of this comes with the territory of a firm car, but yours is pretty bad and would annoy me, too.
Old 02-14-2023, 10:03 PM

C43 AMG
As far as the dashboard goes, I always was suspicious of it. However I think that the squeak is far too pronounced for it to be the dashboard, and there's been instances where I have heard the noise during warm weather too. The cold just multiplies the noise tenfold.
Old 02-15-2023, 09:02 AM

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
C43
it's coming from your control arms, i believe the lowers iirc. i had the exact same issue.
it became much worse in the cold.

more specifically the ball joint. if you look closely there won't be any tears or leaks in the boot, but these get dried up over time.
when i had them inspected there was no signs of play or wear. my indy mechanic just lubricated them with some grease in a syringe, the noise went away after a couple of days of driving. (needs time to work its way around/into the joint)

hope this helps!
Old 02-15-2023, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
Amg C43
Do u have burmester stereo?
should be loud enough to cover up that sound!

sorry
that is annoying and would drive me crazy too!
Does sound like the dash is loose( it’s prob not)
hopefully it’s the ball joint issue and can be fixed.
Did u buy the car new?
Old 02-15-2023, 10:40 AM

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
'15 C400 and '15 ML350
I agree with tgidave. Lower ***** on the control arm are known to make noise once the factory bushing wears out. I added grease to mine with a needle and it stopped the noise for about a year. worse when cold, ill replace when i swap out struts and everything eventually.
Old 03-05-2023, 01:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 C43
I also ran into some squeaking issues (not as bad as yours) especially when it was cold out going over anything but smooth glass-like pavement. Before replacing anything as mechanical as control arms, etc, I would suggest having the door seals looked at. I had my dealer look at it and that was the sole cause of mine. They replaced the driver's-side front, and right rear door seals and it instantly fixed the issue.

Then again, I did have a control arm replaced on a 2015 C300 for the same issue so that could definitely be the problem. Just thought I'd share the part about the door seals as another thing to look at before dropping $$ on the control arm.
Old 03-06-2023, 08:37 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
C450 AMG
Originally Posted by tgidave
it's coming from your control arms, i believe the lowers iirc. i had the exact same issue.
it became much worse in the cold.

more specifically the ball joint. if you look closely there won't be any tears or leaks in the boot, but these get dried up over time.
when i had them inspected there was no signs of play or wear. my indy mechanic just lubricated them with some grease in a syringe, the noise went away after a couple of days of driving. (needs time to work its way around/into the joint)

hope this helps!
This is pretty much the same issue that was diagnosed with my '16 C450. It squeaked over speed bumps and was noticeably more obvious the colder it got outside. A few months ago I took my car in for the latest service and mentioned it to them. They lubricated the control arm area. The noise was gone the day I got the car back ............................. only to come back two days later
Old 08-21-2023, 12:44 PM

c43 w205 coupe 2017
c43 left side wheel squeaking

Hi Guys, Noticed same issue on mine the other day took it garage could not see any damage or play in suspension or ball joints. tried to inject some silicone wd 40 with a very thin pharmaceutical needle in a couple of ball joints but no luck. I read on another thread to wash the whole wheel out side and inside with a hose which I did and guess what sounds gone completely 😅 no squeaking when turning or driving think it may have been some grit stuck behind the brake disc plate. been dry weather for a couple of days and no sound what soever
Old 08-27-2023, 03:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,503 Likes on 2,129 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by pally
Hi Guys, Noticed same issue on mine the other day took it garage could not see any damage or play in suspension or ball joints. tried to inject some silicone wd 40 with a very thin pharmaceutical needle in a couple of ball joints but no luck. I read on another thread to wash the whole wheel out side and inside with a hose which I did and guess what sounds gone completely 😅 no squeaking when turning or driving think it may have been some grit stuck behind the brake disc plate. been dry weather for a couple of days and no sound what soever
Wait, so the wheels were the cause or was it some dirt, grime inside the wheel well where the suspension, etc. components are?
Old 08-27-2023, 03:27 PM

c43 w205 coupe 2017
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Wait, so the wheels were the cause or was it some dirt, grime inside the wheel well where the suspension, etc. components are?

Yes must have been some grit trapped some where behind the brake disc plate or suspension components noise has not come back since after a good hosing down
Old 08-27-2023, 03:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,503 Likes on 2,129 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by pally
Yes must have been some grit trapped some where behind the brake disc plate or suspension components noise has not come back since after a good hosing down
Glad it was that simple and all fixed now for you, noise issues are the most annoying ones ugh.
Old 01-02-2024, 11:22 AM

2018 c43 mercedes
Did you figure out noise?

Originally Posted by Keiserc43
Hi all,

I've had this ongoing issue with my 2017 C43 sedan, and I am seeking any advice I can get. Especially during colder weather, the car squeaks every single time I go over a bump (Please see the attached video to hear the squeak I am referring to). I was convinced it was a suspension issue, so I opened my hood and would push the car up and down to try to find the source of the noise. Once I did that, I was convinced I heard the noise coming from the strut mounts. I went ahead and ordered brand new strut mounts and installed them, but to no avail, the noise was still there. I was so fed up with this annoying noise; it literally makes the car almost undrivable, so I went ahead and took it a step further and purchased brand new front struts, left and right. After having the new strut mounts installed, I went ahead and installed the brand new front struts, and my process of thinking was, okay, if the strut mounts aren't the issue, it must be the struts themselves. I drove home and did not hear any noise; that is, until I approached a school bump and heard the same exact noise that was bothering my soul. The brand new strut mounts and struts did not fix anything, and at this time I have 0 clue what the issue could be. Any and all help is much appreciated.
did you end up finding out what was wrong? I have same problem