Sponsored by:

2017 C43 AMG “Service Required. Do not shift gears. Visit Dealer”

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2023, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG
2017 C43 AMG “Service Required. Do not shift gears. Visit Dealer”

A couple days ago I went to the grocery store in my C43. No problems. I go to leave, and the car just freaked out on me. The gauge cluster lit up like a Xmas tree. I parked the car again and shut it off. Tried starting again and the motor wouldn’t start and I got a message “Service Required. Do not shift gears. Visit Dealer”

I called roadside assistance and when the guy showed up, he disconnected and reconnected the battery. Car started up and drove home fine, minus a check engine light. Got the “service required…” message again. Later on (after 8 hours being parked) I tried to start the car again and it started up fine but still had a check engine light.

the next morning I drove (CEL still on but no issues driving) it to an independent MB shop and was told my ECU is bad and needs replacement. They said they weren’t sure if the ECU was still under warranty for 8 years 80k miles (my car has 68k miles fwiw) but they said if it was under warranty, that they’d refer me to my local Mb dealer to replace it

anyone else’s car have an electrical freak out like that?
Old 05-03-2023, 11:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 C43
It could be a weak battery or alternator; low voltage can cause numerous fault codes and warning lights to be triggered.
Old 05-04-2023, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Originally Posted by M Kompact
It could be a weak battery or alternator; low voltage can cause numerous fault codes and warning lights to be triggered.
Agreed. Our 2012 Land Rover went all sorts of wild when the battery started failing. As soon as we replaced, everything went back to normal.
Old 05-09-2023, 07:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,652 Likes on 2,256 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by AMGCurious_702
A couple days ago I went to the grocery store in my C43. No problems. I go to leave, and the car just freaked out on me. The gauge cluster lit up like a Xmas tree. I parked the car again and shut it off. Tried starting again and the motor wouldn’t start and I got a message “Service Required. Do not shift gears. Visit Dealer”

I called roadside assistance and when the guy showed up, he disconnected and reconnected the battery. Car started up and drove home fine, minus a check engine light. Got the “service required…” message again. Later on (after 8 hours being parked) I tried to start the car again and it started up fine but still had a check engine light.

the next morning I drove (CEL still on but no issues driving) it to an independent MB shop and was told my ECU is bad and needs replacement. They said they weren’t sure if the ECU was still under warranty for 8 years 80k miles (my car has 68k miles fwiw) but they said if it was under warranty, that they’d refer me to my local Mb dealer to replace it

anyone else’s car have an electrical freak out like that?
ECU bad? That is definitely a first time I heard for these cars, like others said could totally be an alternator issue or battery issue, the aux battery could potentially cause that too, our cars have sensitive electronics and the right voltage is very important. If your battery wasn't replaced for a while, consider replacing it, same goes with the auxiliary battery.
Old 05-11-2023, 11:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 C43 coupe
This is an interesting thread! It elicits a couple of questions for me: without something like what the OP described happening, how do you know when the battery needs replacing? Is there a recommended interval? Mine is now 5 years old...
Old 05-11-2023, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 681 Likes on 536 Posts
c
Originally Posted by Rebelwon
This is an interesting thread! It elicits a couple of questions for me: without something like what the OP described happening, how do you know when the battery needs replacing? Is there a recommended interval? Mine is now 5 years old...
I was getting a message on the dash about my battery - was intermittent for a week or so depending on how long my drive was and I was putting it on a charger as well to ensure it was truly a problem. Dealer replaced it free of charge at the 3 year mark.
Old 05-16-2023, 10:23 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,652 Likes on 2,256 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by alexasa
I was getting a message on the dash about my battery - was intermittent for a week or so depending on how long my drive was and I was putting it on a charger as well to ensure it was truly a problem. Dealer replaced it free of charge at the 3 year mark.
Did your auto start stop ever stopped working when this happened? Did they check the aux battery