Sponsored by:

Long cranking on cold starts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG
Originally Posted by nishalp
Just my inputs. I agree it’s not charging or battery. Reason is you said if you prime the fuel system is works fine. I am not sure how you did that but usually that means you have pressurized the fuel system. Since it starts right away, battery is unlikely. Once you drive the car two things happen. The fuel system is pressurized and engine is warm. So restarts are easier. When you let it sit, engine gets cold and fuel system depressurizes usually. When you turn on the ignition after sitting it needs to pressurized it again and could be taking time. Some quick cheap changes and things that should be done is fuel filter. If dirty or clogged it will slow the pressurization. I am not an expert in these modern cars but I think this part should be the same. Not sure what others think. Also when last did you change the fuel filter?
I’ve only had this car 6 months. Previous owner only serviced it at MB dealers so I can’t say when it was last changed, if ever
Old 09-30-2023, 05:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,843 Likes on 2,421 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by AMGCurious_702
Thanks for all your help. Don’t apologize if you’re not able to. It’s all good.

I’ve been driving the car daily to/from work the last several weeks. Yesterday and the day before, car cranked normally with a cold engine. Today it did the long crank again.

I’ll check the oil level tomorrow (yes I do know how to do this haha) and will make add more oil if needed.

It’s also worth noting, after a rather spirited commute home from work in Sport+ Mode (had a bad day and wanted to get home quick) I smelled fuel, I kinda sniffed around and got a strong whiff of fuel near the rear passenger tire. Considering the long cranks, it’s leading me to believe this is fuel system related in one way or another. I’ve got a lot going on between work and personal life but I found a good Indy shop who’d be happy to take a look for me
Sorry for the late reply, I guess we all got busy. Thanks for your comment on my reply. Hopefully the oil level was the issue and that you corrected it. Please keep us updated on what happened with the fuel system (hopefully there is nothing wrong with it and was just oil level issue), hopefully just a software issue or worse fuel filter (as another forum member suggested) and nothing really major. Best of luck!

The smell of fuel is actually a common issue with the four cylinder version of the W205, the M274, I am unaware of any issues with the M276 however. Depending on if you top-off (don't, but I think you should know that already), extra fuel might damage the system plus it will be wasting gas and also affecting fuel economy.
Old 09-30-2023, 06:37 PM

C43 AMG
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Sorry for the late reply, I guess we all got busy. Thanks for your comment on my reply. Hopefully the oil level was the issue and that you corrected it. Please keep us updated on what happened with the fuel system (hopefully there is nothing wrong with it and was just oil level issue), hopefully just a software issue or worse fuel filter (as another forum member suggested) and nothing really major. Best of luck!

The smell of fuel is actually a common issue with the four cylinder version of the W205, the M274, I am unaware of any issues with the M276 however. Depending on if you top-off (don't, but I think you should know that already), extra fuel might damage the system plus it will be wasting gas and also affecting fuel economy.
Checked the oil level today. Oil level seemed fine as the bottom piece of the stick was covered in oil up to “MAX” So I don’t think it’s oil related. I’m going on vacation Tuesday. I think I’m gonna take it in to an indie shop owner I met via a Facebook group once I get back from my vacation
Old 09-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by AMGCurious_702
Checked the oil level today. Oil level seemed fine as the bottom piece of the stick was covered in oil up to “MAX” So I don’t think it’s oil related. I’m going on vacation Tuesday. I think I’m gonna take it in to an indie shop owner I met via a Facebook group once I get back from my vacation
Hmmm, I see hopefully nothing major.
Old 10-16-2023, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 934 Likes on 660 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Two things about long cranks that I had to deal with with my 2010 E550.

1. Starter. I had the problem, often intermittend, that the cat took long cranks. Changed battery but after about 4 weeks problem is back. Changed battery again (not $400 deraler battery) everything is fine for another about a month but then problem return.

The issue was with the starter. When battery charge got lower the starter robbed voltage down so bad the car had trouble to have enough power for the necessary modulkes to start the engine. I replaced the starter and have had zero issues with it since. And this problem was not only with cold cranks, it coukld happen anytime but for sure was more present with cold cranks.

2. Cold is relative as cold above means car has cooled down to ambient temperature that is 90F, for exqmple, so not that cold actually. Areal cold crank issue was when the car would not start at all no matter how long or how many times I crank. This was when outside temperature was at mid 30F, i.e. quite cold for me. Had to tow to the dealer and they said the car has a program to rich the fuel up in cold temperature and that my car would have started if I floored the gas pedal while trying to start it. Of course, I did not know this trick so no start and to dealer it went. Ther dealer said they updated the software to eliminate this problem and I have not had it since.

Both above problems happened very many years ago.

P.S. I had the long crank issue also on my 2013 S550 and the fix was the same starter change that fixed it like for my E550.
Old 11-11-2023, 09:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

So OP... any update? Hopefully something positive?
Old 09-01-2024, 04:21 AM

C450
Same Issue here mine take way longer to start

all of a sudden this happend to my C450 2016 model take long to start not the battery its fine and i can hear bangs and pops even with comfort driving unlike normal while its on S+

can you support whats the issue,,, am uploading the video https://photos.app.*******/JQxoXZw5Up9mrnpy5
Attached Files
File Type: mov
20240819_084922.mov (9.10 MB, 11 views)

Last edited by Humeid Al-Habsi; 09-01-2024 at 04:26 AM.
Old 09-03-2024, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,714 Likes on 1,064 Posts
2008 E350 (W211 @170K), 2012 ML350 (W166 @119K), 2014 E350 (W212 @100K), 2015 ML350 (W166 @96K)
He has the timing issues of the M276 down to a science, and nearly no parts required if so desired. No everyone wants new camshaft just because the reluctor wheel slipped

Last edited by juanmor40; 09-03-2024 at 12:52 PM.