Sponsored by:

Rotor Wear Condition

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2024, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 C43 AMG
Rotor Wear Condition

Looking for feedback on the condition of these rotors and whether it’s time for replacement.

2020 C43, 60,000KM

Here are some images of wear indicators and lips. I tried looking for minimum thickness around the edge of the rotors but didn’t see any (maybe covered in rust).

Replace? Machine?

Lip thickness

Rear rotor wear indicator 1

Rear rotor wear indicator 2

Front rotor. Couldn’t measure thickness properly because of lip

Rear rotor. Same situation

Front rotor wear indicator 1

Front rotor wear indicator 2

Front rotor wear indicator 3

Front rotor wear indicator 4

Front rotor

Old 07-06-2024, 06:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 733 Likes on 548 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
should use micrometers t measure thickness so you get over the edge lip.

What is minimum thickness spec for your car' rotors?

IF you have enough thickness; have the edge cut off and maybe resurface a bit for new pads to bed in easier.

Thickness is what really determines whether to re-use or toss rotors - (not counting obvious cracks, chips etc)
The following users liked this post:
nbtech (07-09-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 01:03 PM

Received 387 Likes on 248 Posts
When the wear-divots are gone, the rotors are done (thickness). On two of your pics (back rotors, I suspect), they're definitely done. On the others, scrape/clean out the divots to see how much is actually remaining.

I suspect that they are not be good for another pad after 60K km. My C43 sedan is just over 50K km and I expect to hit the wear sensor on the fronts any time soon (and will have a max of about 2K km after that).

If you measure the edge thickness (i.e., where the pad hasn't worn the rotor) then the "inside the edge" thickness, you can get an idea of how much has been worn. If you don't have a new set of rotors for divot-depth comparison, that can help with your "can I do another set of pads" decision. If you don't have a caliper that can get to the "inside the edge" thickness, use a couple of small metal spacers (e.g., small coins) placed on the "inside the edge" areas then measure and subtract the thickness of the metal spacers.

Personally, I'd never have rotors resurfaced. To me, if they're scored enough that a new set of pads won't seat (albeit with a bit of extra effort), then I'd replace them. While it's true that you'll waste a bit of pad, this way, it's generally more economical than having the rotors resurfaced.
The following users liked this post:
nbtech (07-09-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Amg C43
I don’t think our rotors get turned bc they don’t work that way