Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 08:28 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts
E90 M3, F80 M3, C63 507, F90 M5
W205 C63S vs. W204 C63 Review by Mode Carbon

I would like to begin this review by first establishing the scope of the comparison. Initially, this was intended to be a W205 C63S AMG vs. F80 M3 shootout. However, as someone who daily drives a W204 C63, I found that a W204 vs. W205 comparison was a far more relevant lens through which to analyze the W205 C63. I will draw some comparisons throughout the review to the F80 M3, the W205 C63’s obvious competitor, but I found them to be completely different cars with an altogether different intended audience. For the purpose of these boards, I’m sure many of you fellow W204 C63 owners will be curious to see how your car stacks up to the new version, what has been improved, and what will be missed. As a W204 owner who was fortunate enough to have a few days behind the wheel of the W205 (thanks Aman!), I would like to share my experiences, some facts, and some of my admittedly personal opinions with you guys.

Power:

It is important to note here that the W205 used in our comparison is the C63S model, which boasts an impressive 503 hp and 516 lb-ft of torque straight from the factory. My daily driver is a W204 C63 with the Eurocharged V5 tune, so it is not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison in the sense that it is stock vs tuned. To make a long story short, the W205 C63S is an absolute animal in a straight line. The torque is superfluous thanks to the internally mounted twin turbos; this thing just moves in any gear. Often times it is actually deceiving how rapidly you are eating up highway until you glance at the heads up display and realize that it’s time to let off. I must say that it’s a drastically different feel than the W204 in terms of power delivery. Although the tuned W204 should be putting down similar numbers, I must say that the WAY in which these cars put down the power is very different. The W204 is more raw, slamming the power into the pavement like a pissed off brute. The W205 is a bit more sophisticated in its power delivery, making it far more capable when the road starts to turn with loads of torque available when exiting corners. The smooth power delivery is less snappy than the W204, allowing you to push it more in the twisties without feeling like the car is going to bite back or break loose. You can feel the fully electronic differential, only available on the C63S model I am told, doing its job and I would not want to be on a treacherous mountain road without it. The transmission has been vastly improved with sharper downshifts, making it a less embarrassing alternative to an M3’s DCT than the previous car’s tranny. I was almost shocked to learn that the W205 has the same 7-speed AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT setup which came in the W204, which feels like it has been completely remastered for the W205. I must admit that on the highway I somewhat missed the W204 C63’s traits. I found the previous car to stir up more giddy, childlike emotions. The sound is also different, yet surprisingly sensational. Nothing will compare to tunnel blasting the M156 motor of the W204 C63 with the secondary cat and resonator delete. However, the W205 creates quite a nice racket with the sound of the twin turbos spooling underneath the crackling and popping sounds that the 4.0L V8 makes. I felt that the test car needed the optional AMG Dynamic Performance Exhaust System, although the owner is planning to modify the exhaust later on so one can’t fault him for that. I am hearing that with just a tune, these cars are going to comfortably make numbers in the 600 hp range, which is a scary/exciting thought. Will it take an F80 M3 for a walk in a straight line? Yes.

Chassis:

This car weighs 3,924 lbs. As I tell my girlfriend, weight is just a number. The way this car hides its weight is beyond me. You can feel the dynamic engine mounts working through the canyon roads to minimize weight transfer, making the car feel far less likely to bite as I mentioned before. The experience while driving through a twisty road offers a level of refinement that is in a completely different league than the W204 C63. Even when our Project507 W204 C63 was fully set up on coilovers and lightweight 18 inch HRE R43 wheels wrapped in Michelin Pilot SS tires, it could not generate the lateral g’s that the W205 was committing with ease. The driving tech that AMG put into this car for the price point is astonishing, considering it shares a lot of systems with the $130,000+ AMG GTS. You can feel these sophisticated systems constantly working to bridge the gap between driver, weight and power management, allowing for cornering capabilities you would not think possible from an AMG sedan of this weight. I can say that I would like a little more feedback from the steering in the W205, as it felt a little numb at times. Does the chassis feel match up to that of the F80 M3? Although AMG is getting closer, I cannot in good faith say that it does. Where the W205 C63S feels as if it can, the F80 feels as if it can do nothing else. As an AMG enthusiast, should you care? No, no you shouldn’t. The handling experience has reached a level of enjoyment that finally rewards the driver in a setting other than a highway. The fact that AMG has made so much progress in the driving experience from one model to the next should excite anyone who considers themselves a fan of the AMG brand.

Styling:

“I think the last C63 was a design icon…I’m not convinced that this one is quite as well resolved…For my eyes it wears its muscle a little too subtly.” – Chris Harris

I’m going to have to agree with Chris Harris on this one. Although sometimes it takes a little time for the styling of a drastically restyled new generation to grow on you, I feel that the sharp, aggressive lines of the W204 C63 will be one of those legendary cars in Mercedes-Benz’s history that stands out generations later. The “baby S-Class” styling in the rear is very toned down and rounded for a car that boasts such an impressive power plant. The front of the car looks upscale and expensive in its own right, which is how you want to feel at the helm of a Benz. In the past, when I’ve taken the W204 C63 to BMW-only shows the Bimmer-loving crowd would still nod in approval for the most part. The W205 was far more polarizing, although it did draw in the crowd’s attention. I must grudgingly admit that the F80 has a more menacing street presence than the W205 C63, due to the fact that the F80 is much lower to the ground and wider which you can clearly see in the photos (albeit the F80 is lowered on KW Clubsport suspension). That bulldog stance of the F80 M3 really implies that something serious is coming your way when you see it pull up behind you in the rearview mirror on the highway. However, what I can say is my biggest disappointment here are the rear fenders or lack thereof. Despite the common criticism of the W204 C63 not having wider rear fender arches, AMG has still chosen to keep the front fenders flared while the back fenders keep to themselves. Styling matters aside, this presents a serious challenge to anyone looking to add serious power to this car since it limits the size of the tire you can fit back there. While the F80 M3 can fit a beefy 295 Toyo R888 with ease, I suspect the C63 will have a hard time fitting anything significantly wider than a 275 although I hope I’m mistaken. This is a serious disappointment considering a wider rear tire would allow this car to reach far greater levels of performance once it is tuned into the 600 hp range. I guess they are holding off on the generous rear fenders for a Black Series model (sigh). Needless to say, Mode Carbon is excited to turn the aggression up a couple of notches with our upcoming W205 C63 carbon fibre product line.

Interior:

The interior of the W205 is absolutely gorgeous. Everything feels super expensive and bespoke, as if it is from a $150,000 car. The test car had the open pore matte wood which contrasted elegantly against the aluminum look of the Burmester sound system and door-mounted seat adjustment controls. It is more of a mature feeling cabin than the M3’s, with a business-like atmosphere that makes you feel like you should be in a tailored suit and designer shades while piloting this thing. The test car also came with the optional AMG buckets, which have somehow won my heart and tricked me into thinking that they are a necessary option at $2,500. There are different driving modes to play around with, including C, S, and S+ from the previous model, along with the newly added Individual and Race modes (Race is only available on the C63S). I did not venture into Race mode as I did not want to turn off traction control in a vehicle that is not my own, however the Individual mode was a nice addition as it allows for full customization of each individual setting. For example, the owner’s Individual mode had full comfort settings for everything but the dampers, which were dialed in the full sport setting allowing you to pick and choose. Other nice touches in the cabin include the fragrance circulation and ambient lighting for when you feel like a night on the town. The navigation system finally feels like it’s from this era with improved graphics, voice commands, a more sophisticated traffic monitoring system and all of the modern touches you’d expect. The optional heads up display with tach was superb and I don’t know how I’ve lived this long without one. So, you’re probably wondering if there are any drawbacks. I do prefer a center console-located gear lever as opposed to the steering column lever, which annoyingly automatically engages the parking brake every time you put the car into P or start it. This has to be manually disengaged every time you put the car into D, which if I had more time with the car I would play around with the settings to learn how to shut that feature off permanently. All-in-all the interior gets two thumbs up in my book for its tailored and classy feel.

Daily Use:

I must say bluntly that I was thrown off by the W205’s fuel consumption. I was expecting this car to get way better fuel economy than it did during the time I drove it, finding myself at the pump more than twice in a single week. My impression is that my W204 C63 gets better highway economy, completing a journey from NYC to Toronto last summer and only needing to stop to refuel once (seriously!). Of course, a couple of factors here make this again not an apples-to apples comparison, such as the 93 octane gas available in NY versus the 91 octane in California and the improved highway cruising fuel economy achieved by the W204 C63’s Eurocharged V5 tune. Still, I was not impressed with the fuel economy which is something to consider if this is your main form of daily transportation. I am curious to hear feedback from some W205 C63 owners that are living with the car after a few months of combined fuel economy. In terms of daily mannerisms, I found the W205 C63 to be very comfortable and civilized. It handled LA traffic, unevenly paved streets, and highway cruising equally well. The daily driving feeling of the W205 is more of a comfortable, business-like vibe which contrasts with the F80 M3’s sportier vibe that seems to be constantly egging me on to do something cheeky every time I get behind the wheel. The only thing missing in the W205 from the W204 is that constant subconscious reminder that you are in an AMG. When I returned to NY and got back behind the wheel of my W204, I was greeted by the gentle idle vibrations of the gas pedal underneath my right foot, reminding me that I have a weapon at my disposal at a moment’s notice. The more sophisticated systems of the W205 seem to remove a layer of intimacy between driver and machine in favor of superior driving capability.

Pricing:

Sure, it’s relatively easy to compare sticker prices and monthly payments against each other. But it’s important to note here that the W205 C63 is being offered in a few different trim levels (C63 & C63S), which makes this a bit more complicated than just a window sticker comparison. A lot of performance options that were raved about in the above comparison make the W205 C63S AMG the car that it is. I could notice all of them actively contributing to the intended driving experience that AMG was aiming to create, and after experiencing them I would not want to order the car without them. Furthermore, some of these features are only available on the C63S model, which brings a similarly equipped car as our well-appointed test vehicle into the +$80,000 territory. On the other hand, our F80 M3 shop car was ordered as a “stripper” (navigation, carbon fiber interior trim, etc. are standard features on the M3) with a manual transmission for below the $70,000 mark. Sure, a well-equipped F80 M3 with Executive package and DCT climbs into the $80,000 region, but those features aren’t necessary to create the DRIVING EXPERIENCE that the car is known for. I think that this is an important distinction that needs to be made. Before anyone points it out, I am well aware that Active M suspension, M Performance Exhaust and Carbon Ceramic Brakes are all options on the F80 M3 that enhance the driving experience. However, our F80 M3 against which I am basing my judgement did not have any of those options from the factory and was an absolute thrill to drive spirited or on the racetrack even in its stock form. Sure, one can argue that all car manufacturers will be moving in this direction, being careful to not give any performance marvels such as the incredible factory exhaust system on W204 C63 away for free when they can be charging you for the enhanced sport version. Welcome to the ultra-modern era.

The Verdict:

The real conclusion here is that the W205 C63S is not aiming to be a gradual improvement upon the W204 C63 platform, but rather a complete evolution. This evolution is stirred by the cutthroat competition in this price point as well as the modern demands for turbocharged motors that squeeze more power and efficiency out of smaller displacements. Driving the W205 I never once felt any characteristics from the old platform seeping through to let me know it’s still in there. While it’s only natural to draw comparisons, AMG set out with an entirely different approach to this car. They kept the same goal in mind while doing so, which is to deliver an experience behind the wheel of the car that is different than any other car on the road, a unique experience that no other car besides an AMG can deliver. It’s hard to define, but with an AMG it is never really about lap times but rather the little experiences you feel as a driver that aren’t measured by tenths of a second. It is clear that AMG is taking strides towards the progression of their brand and their vehicles in a modern, demanding era while still trying to achieve that same fundamental goal. As a fellow AMG enthusiast, you have to hope and trust that this new approach doesn’t neglect the fundamental AMG traits that have shaped the brand for decades as the evolutionary journey unfolds. At this point in time, I can say that the AMG madness is still there even if you have to dig a little harder to bring it to the surface. And once you do, you have a more capable machine to handle the job. I have serious doubts that any other car can deliver the experience that the W204 C63 AMG achieved for me; it is a special car that will always have a place in my heart. That being said, it is being replaced by a far more capable and well-rounded machine, and for that we have to give the engineers over at AMG credit where it is due.

-Nicholas

On behalf of the Mode Carbon team I would like to give a big thanks to Aman for lending us his beautiful W205 C63S AMG. His MBWorld username is amanuuh so be sure to check out his upcoming build.

Last edited by Mode Carbon; 06-25-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
great review Nicholas thank you for taking the time to write this review
Old 06-25-2015, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 CLA 45AMG , 2015 C63 (W205)
You killed it with this review. Sams was equally as good. I'm glad you guys finally made it over to the W205 section. I'm honored to be working with you guys. I can't wait till we get some Mode Carbon goods on the car
Old 06-25-2015, 10:39 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 C63S E1; 2016 C450 AMG
I'm very surprised by your fuel economy observations. My wife (who is not a lead-foot) routinely gets 16 MPG in her 2012 C63 with mixed city and freeway driving. During the 1,000 mile break-in on my C63S (where I was driving like an idiot most of the time), I got over 20 MPG with the same mix of city and freeway driving.

In fact, so far the C63S MPG is within 0.5 to 1 MPG of the M4 I recently traded in. I expect my MPG will improve in the next few thousand miles both because the engine will loosen up some and because I will finally get over the excitement of driving the C63S like a speed crazed teenager ;-)

Otherwise I generally agree with your review. I particularly agree that the transmission in the C63S bears almost no resemblance to the transmission in the previous generation C63. The improvement is both remarkable and very welcome.

Additionally, not suggesting that my wife's car is running the Eurocharged v5 tune, but in my experience driving a W204 C63 with such a tune, I feel it provides power that is about equal to a stock C63S.

Finally, you should have tried Race Mode. It does not disable stability control, just sets it to "Sport" mode. This mode is great as it allows some slide, but reels you in before anything terrifying happens.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:26 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by irablumberg
I'm very surprised by your fuel economy observations. My wife (who is not a lead-foot) routinely gets 16 MPG in her 2012 C63 with mixed city and freeway driving. During the 1,000 mile break-in on my C63S (where I was driving like an idiot most of the time), I got over 20 MPG with the same mix of city and freeway driving.

In fact, so far the C63S MPG is within 0.5 to 1 MPG of the M4 I recently traded in. I expect my MPG will improve in the next few thousand miles both because the engine will loosen up some and because I will finally get over the excitement of driving the C63S like a speed crazed teenager ;-)

Otherwise I generally agree with your review. I particularly agree that the transmission in the C63S bears almost no resemblance to the transmission in the previous generation C63. The improvement is both remarkable and very welcome.

Additionally, not suggesting that my wife's car is running the Eurocharged v5 tune, but in my experience driving a W204 C63 with such a tune, I feel it provides power that is about equal to a stock C63S.

Finally, you should have tried Race Mode. It does not disable stability control, just sets it to "Sport" mode. This mode is great as it allows some slide, but reels you in before anything terrifying happens.
I would be very curious to hear what kind of numbers you average in fuel economy over several months of ownership, so please feel free to shoot me a PM in the future letting me know your experience! As I mentioned I spent a limited time with the car and would be curious to see how things average out over months of daily driving.

Regarding the actual power figures of the tuned W204 v stock W205, I wouldn't be surprised if the figures matched up more or less. To me it was less about the peak horsepower/torque figures and more about the manner of the power delivery, which was predictably very different in character between the N/A and turbo platforms.

I will have to explore Race Mode sometime in a more controlled environment and with the permission of the owner, it sounds Iike a fun time!
Old 06-26-2015, 01:01 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by amanuuh
You killed it with this review. Sams was equally as good. I'm glad you guys finally made it over to the W205 section. I'm honored to be working with you guys. I can't wait till we get some Mode Carbon goods on the car
Thanks brother can't wait to see our project with you progress
Old 06-26-2015, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 C63S
Thank you for the detailed and informative comparisons in your review.
Take a look at this thread for wider wheels/tires. Your opinion?

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-c...aust-work.html
Old 06-26-2015, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
17 C63 S Coupe
Great review. Every now and then I get some IG love from ModeCarbon team.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
335d xDrive, C63S on order
Awesome review and some excellent photos as well. Thank you so much for putting in the time to bring this to us.

Just one point but the electronic parking brake automatically disengages when you put it in drive or reverse and push the accelerator. It's a fully supported way mentioned in the cars manual which is probably why the switch to enable / disable it is a bit out of the way. You don't need to actually touch it generally.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63
Originally Posted by Mode Carbon

W204 looks so bad *** and intimidating from this view.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Great review, Nicholas! Thanks for taking the time to share.

As a current W204 owner, you covered all of the points I was most interested in.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:06 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by JPMBenz
Great review. Every now and then I get some IG love from ModeCarbon team.
Thanks for taking your time to read it
Old 06-29-2015, 01:36 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by mr747
great review Nicholas thank you for taking the time to write this review
Thanks for stopping by
Old 06-30-2015, 10:57 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS550
Nice review.

From your pictures, it appears the C63S has standard iron brakes. How you feel about the stopping power and the carbon ceramic brake option.

Thanks
Old 06-30-2015, 03:03 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by Will617
Thank you for the detailed and informative comparisons in your review.
Take a look at this thread for wider wheels/tires. Your opinion?

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-c...aust-work.html
Thanks for taking your time to read it
Old 06-30-2015, 03:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 SLS AMG
Awesome review!! Thank you for sharing!

David
Old 06-30-2015, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
Great review.

I hate to say but, for me, the M3 blows away the W205 in terms of looks. Wow, does that car look stunning.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 C63S
Originally Posted by Nachtsturm
Great review.

I hate to say but, for me, the M3 blows away the W205 in terms of looks. Wow, does that car look stunning.
I agree the M3 looks good but lets see what Aman's C63s looks like after it is lowered and modded.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:37 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by FastLaneJB
Awesome review and some excellent photos as well. Thank you so much for putting in the time to bring this to us.

Just one point but the electronic parking brake automatically disengages when you put it in drive or reverse and push the accelerator. It's a fully supported way mentioned in the cars manual which is probably why the switch to enable / disable it is a bit out of the way. You don't need to actually touch it generally.
Not a problem, thank you for taking your time to read and look through all the content. As for the parking brake, unfortunately we no longer have the car to test this theory. Aman can you please chime in here
Old 07-01-2015, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
335d xDrive, C63S on order
Not a problem, thank you for taking your time to read and look through all the content. As for the parking brake, unfortunately we no longer have the car to test this theory. Aman can you please chime in here
No problems. Here's a picture of the page from the manual. You can download the Manual in an iOS App here in the UK. Don't know if it's on Android or available in the US (Wouldn't see why not).

It's also how I did it on my test drive as that's what the sales guy told me to do. Worked a treat.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 CLA 45AMG , 2015 C63 (W205)
I wish I could but I don't have my car either. EAS has it lol
Old 07-01-2015, 03:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 C63S E1; 2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB
No problems. Here's a picture of the page from the manual. You can download the Manual in an iOS App here in the UK. Don't know if it's on Android or available in the US (Wouldn't see why not).

It's also how I did it on my test drive as that's what the sales guy told me to do. Worked a treat.
I can confirm that my car works as noted. It also automatically engages the parking brake when you shift to park and turn off the engine. Thus, except for some wildly unusual emergency situation, you never need to touch the parking brake switch.

On a similar note of brake convenience, I really love the brake hold function. For those of you unfamiliar with it, when at a full stop (like a traffic light) if you press down on the brake pedal a bit further than normal, the car will keep the brakes engaged even when you step off the pedal. The brakes will disengage when you step on the gas. This is very nice for long traffic lights and not a function I have seen on other cars (aside from my wife's C63).
Old 07-01-2015, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 277 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Great and very tastefully done review. It is pretty much exactly how I feel about the W204 vs W205. Extremely well said and amazing pictures, thank you for reviewing these amazing cars .... instead of the beamer
Old 07-01-2015, 06:17 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

testing testing..

Old 07-02-2015, 03:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by zibby43
Great review, Nicholas! Thanks for taking the time to share.

As a current W204 owner, you covered all of the points I was most interested in.
Andrew! Thanks for taking time out of your day to read it. I am glad you enjoyed my review

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: W205 C63S vs. W204 C63 Review by Mode Carbon