C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attention assist steering wheel vibration useless?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Attention assist steering wheel vibration useless?

I have a GL63 for 2 years now. The steering wheel vibration is annoying but very noticeable. If I cross the lanes I know it's working. My new c63 has the same feature but it is very faint. Almost undetectable via the feel. I can only hear it if the music is off. It makes me think something is wrong, but it could also be an adaptive feature that may increase in intensity as the drive prolongs. I am not a fan of taking the car in with this sort of questions, which generally is diagnosed as normal and makes one feel stupid for asking.
Experienced owners, what are your thoughts please?
Old 12-04-2015, 03:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
SLS BLACK SERIES, G63, S63, C63S, E63S, G500 4X4 BRABUS, PORSCHE 911 4S, FERRARI 599 GTO. RANGEROVER
I have same problem... and i don't know if i can call it a problem or its normal.. but i do feel it should be more noticeable... i have 2015 S63 when it vibrate it could wake you from your sleep
Old 12-04-2015, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by AMG MB
I have same problem... and i don't know if i can call it a problem or its normal.. but i do feel it should be more noticeable... i have 2015 S63 when it vibrate it could wake you from your sleep
Mine very faint also --sometimes I can't even feel it.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
a UFO
I think we should have a dedicated thread on these automatic warning and driving features.

mine taps 3 times very lightly. I find it useless, unless i was actually falling asleep. They need to build something to detect drowsiness and only kick in when that is detected, and does a much more noticeable warning. The way it is designed, tells me that they can't detect drowsiness, thus a half *** solution.

The car also brakes on interesting occasions when i veer into white lines. I appreciate what its trying to do, however, there are poorly drawn lines. The lines are usually not fluid and rather rigid or inefficient in turns, so I often drive onto the lines, and the car brakes... This is another failure in design. probably the same system as above, but it is some how triggering braking, maybe due to speed...

will i turn off these automation? No, because i can live with them, for now. And I rather it prevent the once in a million chance of a real problem than taking a chance. I did pay extra the upgrade after all.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TLDream
I think we should have a dedicated thread on these automatic warning and driving features.

mine taps 3 times very lightly. I find it useless, unless i was actually falling asleep. They need to build something to detect drowsiness and only kick in when that is detected, and does a much more noticeable warning. The way it is designed, tells me that they can't detect drowsiness, thus a half *** solution.

The car also brakes on interesting occasions when i veer into white lines. I appreciate what its trying to do, however, there are poorly drawn lines. The lines are usually not fluid and rather rigid or inefficient in turns, so I often drive onto the lines, and the car brakes... This is another failure in design. probably the same system as above, but it is some how triggering braking, maybe due to speed...

will i turn off these automation? No, because i can live with them, for now. And I rather it prevent the once in a million chance of a real problem than taking a chance. I did pay extra the upgrade after all.
1. Based on my experience with the GL this will significantly increase tire and brake wear.
2. This technology is still at its infancy. Don't expect much.
3. The steering taps are not for drowsiness only. They help you if distracted.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
17 C63 S Coupe
Here is what you need to check. Go into "Drive Assist" in your C/GL. If you the 997 Package on your GL & C63 (which you have to have in order have LKA), set your Lane Keeping Assist to "Standard" rather then "Adaptive". I believe on that Adaptive is the standard setting. Standard it is more sensitive. Now, with the 997 Package, it will apply braking.

I hope that helps.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JPMBenz
Here is what you need to check. Go into "Drive Assist" in your C/GL. If you the 997 Package on your GL & C63 (which you have to have in order have LKA), set your Lane Keeping Assist to "Standard" rather then "Adaptive". I believe on that Adaptive is the standard setting. Standard it is more sensitive. Now, with the 997 Package, it will apply braking.

I hope that helps.
If I understand correctly the standard would make the steering shake more?
Old 12-05-2015, 10:56 AM
GHH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63s
I've got new C63S and sent it back to dealer last Friday because wheel vibration and steer function undetectable, at least compared to BMW and Audi systems.

Mercedes said system smarter than me and can't be out witted by me pretending to fall asleep. I said but it doesn't work when I take my eyes off the road and pretend to fiddle with stereo. They said it's only in case you fall asleep or turn into another lane when red triangle in mirror ie being overtaken.

My Audi RS4 would drive itself down a motorway if allowed to. Gave peace of mind that car was always looking out for you in case of any loss of attention. The Merc system very disappointing.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:26 PM

2018 GLE63S Coupe , 2012 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2000 TRD PreRunner (heavily modded)
The haptic feedback on the W205 is far less intense than it was on my previous W218 CLS. It's there but barely. When changing the mode to standard, the feed back stays the same on the C63, aka barely there. Feels like the haptic motor needs to be strapped tighter to whatever it's connected to to get more vibration to the wheel.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok, seems like it is "normal" then; whatever that means.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:03 AM

Mercedes C-Class W205
I can confirm as well, the assist vibration on my w205 feels very faint compared to the w204....