Sponsored by:

My C55/63 is too fast for the big city.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
At least C55s don't overheat in traffic. I've seen three new BMW 335i vehicles in both sedan and coupe formats overheat in LA traffic in the past two months. I assume they overheated because the car is new, in good condition, and on the side of the road with the hood up but without smoke. The new twin turbo engine by BMW is a stellar performer, but it does have high oil pressure and temperatures. I imagine these problems are compounded by the "stop and do not go" Los Angeles traffic.

I'll be honest, I fare the best in traffic in a C230 Kompressor. Keep it limited to first and second gear for low speeds (I have the 5-speed Auto), the vehicle is truly very nimble. Changing lanes can be executed safely and confidently. I think I'm one of the few people who wished Mercedes continued to import the 4 cylinder models for the C-Class.

However, once you're out of traffic is a different story for the C230. Compared to the C55, the C230 does have to break quite a bit of a sweat for its initial acceleration from a standstill. The C55's engine enjoys effortless acceleration with rpms rarley going above 2500 rpms, when the C230's engines often going north of 3000 rpms (north of 4000 if you're in a bit more of a hurry).

While the huge power in reserve in the C55 is rarely used by C55 drivers, it's nice to know that it's there. Scenario: want to pass that semi-truck while on a short merge onto a freeway? No problem, the C55 will do that without even going over 3000 rpms. In a C230, you really ought to just let that semi-truck pass. That's the difference, and that's what you pay a $25,000 USD premium for.