Sponsored by:

Performance Pack???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 Lexus GS430
Performance Pack???

I put down 1k to get on the list and am currently #2 in Austin to receive mine. Contrary to other posters here I have absolutely no info on pricing or option packages other than what I have read from the MB press release. Strangely enough, the dealership knows a lot less than I do about the car, options etc.

So based on what I have read, the performance package will include ceramic brakes, lowered suspension or stiffer springs, limited slip diff, alacantra steering wheel and a re-mapped ecu that raises the governed speed to 174mph. Apparently the 19 inch wheels will be available but only as an option with the PP. The performance pack is expected to add 5k to the price of the car.

I don't plan on using the car on the track and will use it as my daily driver. On several reviews I have read, the performance pack makes a huge difference on the track and the "stock" seems much softer in comparison.

My question to the board would be if I'm not planning on tracking the car, do I really need to performance pack? I really don't want my fillings knocked out every time I drive the car and as I mentioned I have a pretty lengthy commute (plus a bad back to boot)

My real dilemma is that those 19 inch wheels look soooo rad! I also don't know if the limited slip is a big deal or not since I won't truly be testing the cars limits on a regular basis. I'm not really partial to the lower suspension or the alacantra steering wheel since I've heard bad things about alacantra (heavy sweating issues apparently).

So I'm torn about whether or not I should just go all out on the car and get the PP or be more conservative and go stock.

Based on my described use, what do you guys think???

Thanks in advance for your advice
Old 10-12-2007, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
First of all, it is still unknown if the performance package will have bigger brakes/rotors, or even 19" rims. I've read so many different versions of the performance package, but here are the most likely two:

- Same size rims, but 2 piece (lighter and stronger)
- Slightly bigger caliper
- LSD
- ECU limiter increased from 155 to 174 mph
- An additional $5,500

- Bigger rims, also 2 piece (lighter and stronger)
- Slightly bigger caliper, brakes, rotors
- LSD
- ECU limiter increased from 155 to 174 mph
- Alacantra grips steering wheel
- $7,500

Whatever Mercedes finally decides, you can actually have the best of both world. You can order ONLY the rims on the performance package, but not the whole package itself. This will costly extra of course, but you'll get only what you want/need as opposed to the whole package.

If you say you have back problems and long commutes, then you are better off buying a used CL55 AMG because the C-Class's seats are not the most comfortable in the world. The CL-Class, however, has the best, most comfortable and most luxurious seats Mercedes ever made. The car is very roomy, very smooth, and very comfy. It is made for long commutes and relaxation yet still have the AMG power-house engine. And if you must have a 4-door, you can always go for S55 AMG.

Either way, these cars are awsome, and you definately won't be disapointed.

Good luck....
Old 10-12-2007, 04:49 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another very important issue to note is that the car does NOT have ceramic rotors- they're "composite" which just means they are 2 piece floating with aluminum hats.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:56 PM

I'm still not sure whether the 19 inch rims come only with the sports pack, I think that it will be an option for non sport pack people too. However to get the mechanical LSD you do need the sports suspension and it seems even the normal supension is pretty firm.

If you do not get the mechanical LSD the electronics try to replicate this it seems, but apparently it is a bit on-off so you get an inside wheel spinning and then the slide as the brain works it out, not too smooth a transition.

This is all hearsay of course, need to get more data and reports to have the ground firm beneath our feet.

Regards

Andy
Old 10-12-2007, 11:16 PM
rdk

2006 ML 500
I emailed Rob Allan who is head of AMG in the US and he says the 19 inch wheels will not be an option in the US with or without the performance package. He said they cannot handle the poor condition of our roads and there are also differences in the suspension due to federal safety guidelines compared to Europe. I am also located in Austin and am #1 on the list at Mercedes Benz of Austin.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:36 AM

'06 Lexus GS430
Originally Posted by rdk
I emailed Rob Allan who is head of AMG in the US and he says the 19 inch wheels will not be an option in the US with or without the performance package. He said they cannot handle the poor condition of our roads and there are also differences in the suspension due to federal safety guidelines compared to Europe. I am also located in Austin and am #1 on the list at Mercedes Benz of Austin.
Oh so you're the ******* eh??? Haha well I was wondering who in Austin beat me to it.

Well at least that settles my dilemma; I really liked the wheels but now that they won't even be available here, there's really no point inthe PP for me. Now my only remaining dilemma will be about color...carbon black or that dark grey???

Did Rob say when you could expect delivery? The guys at MB Austin are pretty clueless about anything related to the car.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:59 PM
rdk

2006 ML 500
Originally Posted by C63-ME
Oh so you're the ******* eh??? Haha well I was wondering who in Austin beat me to it.

Well at least that settles my dilemma; I really liked the wheels but now that they won't even be available here, there's really no point inthe PP for me. Now my only remaining dilemma will be about color...carbon black or that dark grey???

Did Rob say when you could expect delivery? The guys at MB Austin are pretty clueless about anything related to the car.
He said late March to early April.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
It's a damn shame that AMG produces cars without LSD. My only concern is that even the LSD in the PP won't be good enough and that I'll still have to upgrade to a Quaife. LSD is a must if you ever plan on opening the throttle at low speeds, especially while turning the steering wheel.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
If it is going to be your commuter car I wouldn't worry too much about an additional performance package, the AMG package should be more than enough for diving down Mopac....

Cars should be out late next year in the US....and I stress "should" because the dealers know less than the people on this site.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
I'm interested in this car but with 440+ ft-lbs of torque I can't imagine forgoing a LSD. The ESP is not going to be enough.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:29 AM

'06 Lexus GS430
Originally Posted by GBlansten
I'm interested in this car but with 440+ ft-lbs of torque I can't imagine forgoing a LSD. The ESP is not going to be enough.
So is this a safety issue in addition to a performance issue? Is the car without the LSD less stable even for the type of driving that I'm going to be doing which would be daily driving?
Old 10-19-2007, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by C63-ME
So is this a safety issue in addition to a performance issue? Is the car without the LSD less stable even for the type of driving that I'm going to be doing which would be daily driving?
It is more of a "I don't want to routinely melt the inside rear tire issue."
Old 10-19-2007, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
The 030 option does not noticible make it a hard ride. But I'm speaking from a CLS 55 owners point of view. The C63 may not have electronic shocks or airmatic suspension which will make it less responsive to road conditions.

Airmatic suspension with adapative damping gives each wheel the ability to react to actual road conditions verus having a fix shock/strut setting. In addition, it compensates big time for body roll (you can take a corner feeling the car is level-no roll) Without all this electronics it may feel like a harsher ride.

The larger rim size will also contribute to a harsher ride due to the smaller side wall. The 030 option also includes upgraded tire speed and load ratings for the 186 mph speed limiter. Another reason that this is must for hi performance.

Just my $.02, I would not buy an AMG unless it has the 030 option.