Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by chiphomme
As usual you fail to grasp my point,
Arrogant. I not only grasped it, I crushed it and threw it back to you. It's pretty laughable to accuse someone who just refuted basically every argument you made of "not grasping" it, dude.

dismissing an argument just because it's almost become a meme doesn't make it invalid.
And making it a meme doesn't make it valid, particularly wrt the C63....multiple publications have given this car's handling and steering stellar reviews, many of which have been posted in this very forum.

And why do you have to be so rude about it?
...says the guy who, two sentences ago, basically said that I'm stupid, implying that I can't understand a series of rhetorical questions...oh, yeah, Mr. Manners, that's you. rolleyes:

Guess what? I like both Mercedes and BMW.
Guess what? So do I. Own one of each, in fact; wife drives a 3 Series. Great car.

They both have strong and weak points. And these generally are consistent because of their differing design philosophies.
And as far as dismissing me because of my M6.
As usual, you failed to grasp my point. My point was specifically in response to your "Mercedes quality issues" question, and was meant to illustrate that if quality is high up on your list, Mercedes *and* BMW pale in comparison to the brands who lead in quality.

You should understand Im dumping the vehicle in favor of a Mercedes CLK63 BS because of a bad experience.
Well, I guess you'll just have to suffer in the twisties.

BTW, what does the "M" in SMG stand for again?
Sorry, but pulling a little steering-mounted lever and letting the car upshift/downshift for you is hardly the same level of driver involvement--nor does it require anything approaching the same level of skill--as a good heel and toe downshift, and the end result is the same, whether you're doing that or pushing one of the steering-wheel-mounted buttons on the C63, or using the levers on the Lexus IS-F: the vehicle is doing the heavy lifting and executing the clutching/shifting/rev matching, not the driver, and so it is simply not the same "drivers' experience". I've spent more seat time in manual-trannied cars than autos, and to me a manual has a left-foot-operated clutch.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C230 SS
wow...man i wish i had the $$$ to get one of these c63's...man....i would go c63. i know the m3 won the comparison, but to me the m3 seems more like a 'track' car. which is nice, but i aint never gonna go into a track, straight line accel and TORQUE is what matters for everyday driving i think. so c63 all the way!
Old 10-27-2007, 07:00 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
Where did I say you were stupid again? You didn't get my point, as you haven't in our past run ins. So it's a matter of fact not some ad hominem
"you're an idiot if you don't realize the C63 is underrated" attack.
And I have never said SMG was as involving as a standard manual. So quit trying to make an argument where there isn't one. SMG is certainly a manual and is better in the shifting department than any Mercedes auto I've encountered.

Last edited by chiphomme; 10-27-2007 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:04 PM

02 330i
10 mpg. that is equivalent to what the old hummers get.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by caliboy
Dude listen man forget all the 335 i vs m3 vs all that crap argument. It's obvious I don't know anything about those cars and I only brought it up cause that is what some else used.
Look, man, you're the one who started the argument by stating the M3 sedan would weigh at least 200 pounds more than the coupe, and that a coupe with the same motor, etc. would always outrun and outhandle the sedan. Your "proof" of this was that sedans always weigh waaaay more than coupes, and bizarrely citing gross vehicle weight ratings as "proving" more than curb weight figures, then acting as if because curb weight for BOTH vehicles excludes driver for BOTH vehicles, adding a 70 kg driver to the vehicles would somehow, magically, make one car slower than the other.

Facts, and they are facts, were presented showing this to be wrong. I presented instrumented tests run by Car & Driver on the 335i, showing that the sedan outperformed the coupe DESPITE being heavier, and that a) the E36 M3 sedan and coupe both weighed the same, and b) the 335i coupe and sedan were a whopping 59 pounds apart.

So, faced with this, what do you do: shift your argument:

But one question and answer with a yes or a no......

Will the M3 sedan be faster than the m3 coupe?
Based upon the evidence we've seen from the 335s, I really don't think that one could definitively state this one way or the other. Production tolerances (google it) alone can produce different results in the SAME car. For example, when we had our little get together a while back, candrive55's car, a bone stock E55, was consistently quicker by about a carlength (one tenth in terms of time) than the other bone stock E55s he ran, multiple times.

So if you get that kind of variance in one car, you think that you'll be able to say, unequivocally, that one will always be faster than the other?

let me respond for you HELL NO! Then in the apples to apples comparison of a C63 to a 4 door new M3 in all categories who wins overall.... Have a nice day.
Well, when you ever get to be The Final Word on the subject, I'll start deferring to you, but I believe that I'll be shovelling snow in hell long before that happens. Personally, I'll be waiting for the test results, but I doubt there'll be any huge differences between the M3 coupe and sedan versions.

Oh and Dude you need to chill with the way you answer people on here.....cause you come off as a somewhat of a jerk to anyone who argues anything with you.
Funny, I was thinking exactly the same about you, only the facts speak for themselves: your very first post was a response to mine, typed in all caps (signifying shouting), and basically a rant against my opinions; then, as soon as I challenged your opinions, you started lacing your responses with profanity and sarcasm. You implied that I lied when I posted Car & Driver's test data showing the sedan to be faster, etc etc....so, if you want people to treat you with kid gloves, try taking off the boxing gloves in your responses.

Just answer the f'in question above and hopefully you will see what I was arguing. And again settle down Beavis lol!
"Just answer the f'in question", I suppose, to you is a fine example of how NOT to "come off as somewhat of a jerk"?

Last edited by Improviz; 10-27-2007 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Where did I say you were stupid again? You didn't get my point, as you haven't in our past run ins. So it's a matter of fact not some ad hominem
"you're an idiot if you don't realize the C63 is underrated" attack.
You implied it by, as you have in our past run ins, resorting to ad hominem "you don't understand" type arguments when your first arguments are refuted. Sequence was:

1) some newb raised (predictably) the old "twisties" argument.

2) I responded that given the C63's superior acceleration, better braking, and skidpad grip within 0.03 g of of the M3, the M3's "twisties" capabilities above and beyond the C63 are certainly open to dispute, given that any slight edge the M3 has around a corner would be overcome by the Benz's superior acceleration and braking capabilities.

Your "response" was to utterly avoid any attempt at a refutation of my point, and to instead raise a bunch of red herrings in the form of rhetorical questions:
Bet you can't wait for the old slushbox argument?
Or the overweight argument?
Or the poor steering argument?
Or the Mercedes quality argument?
I refuted each and every stupid rhetorical question you raised, just as I refuted every lame point you made in previous encounters. You clearly resent being proven wrong, and so lash out with personal attacks.

Fine.

But don't complain about my being "rude" when I hit back.

And I have never said SMG was as involving as a standard manual. So quit trying to make an argument where there isn't one.
You clearly missed my point, as you're so fond of saying....I'm pointing out that your implication (in stupid rhetorical red herring question #1), that the SMG is somehow oh so much more involving to drive than a paddle- or button-shifted auto, is patently ridiculous.

SMG is certainly a manual and is better in the shifting department than any Mercedes auto I've encountered.
Yes, because pulling that little steering wheel mounted plastic lever and having the car do the shifting and rev-matching is so much more "involving" than pushing the button on the C63...right?

It's funny, you've been "going" to get a CLS63 for quite some time now....how long does it take to purchase a car? I can get one in an hour or two, but maybe the dealers are slower where you live. And frankly, for someone who's ready to go out and buy a Benz, you sure don't seem to have many good things to say about them.

Tell me: why is it exactly that you're going to purchase this heavy, uninvolving, poor handling, slushbox-driven, unreliable Benz?
Old 10-27-2007, 08:25 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
You are the king of the fallacious argument.
God, you can't even get the basics right. I am getting a CLK63 Black. And its a ***** to get.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
You are the king of the fallacious argument.
For you to lecture anyone on the principles of debate is like Joseph Stalin conducting a lecture on the principles of capitalism and human rights.

God, you can't even get the basics right. I am getting a CLK63 Black. And its a ***** to get.
I see....and so the CLK63 Black, which is made by Mercedes and weighs roughly 4000 pounds, has a "slushbox", and, presumably the "poor steering" and "poor Mercedes quality" you cited earlier, is, in your mind, 180 degrees, diametrically opposed to the Mercedes C63, which weighs roughly 4000 pounds, has the same "slushbox", "poor steering", and "poor Mercedes quality".....right?

And this is why you want to buy one......riiiigggghhhht??

Last edited by Improviz; 10-27-2007 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:32 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by Improviz
For you to lecture anyone on the principles of debate is like Joseph Stalin conducting a lecture on the principles of capitalism and human rights.

LOL! Point proven.

I see....and so the CLK63 Black, which is made by Mercedes and weighs roughly 4000 pounds, has a "slushbox", and, presumably the "poor steering" and "poor Mercedes quality" you cited earlier, is, in your mind, 180 degrees, diametrically opposed to the Mercedes C63, which weighs roughly

4000 pounds, has the same "slushbox", "poor steering", and "poor Mercedes quality".....right?

And this is why you want to buy one......riiiigggghhhht

Do you always argue with yourself? You can't even get my car right then you go on to supposedly describe my opinion of it. I said none of that about the CLK63BS (or the C63). My car is scheduled to be built on Tuesday (finally). So however long it takes to get here(hopefully around Thanksgiving) I'll post pictures.

Again, I raised those as typical arguments against Mercedes, that shouldn't just be dismissed as flippantly you do with the "twisities".

http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/s...arguments.html

Last edited by chiphomme; 10-27-2007 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:46 PM

'11 CTS V Coupe 6MT
Is it just me?

First of all, I LOVE AMG & M cars, I've owned both. I still may buy a C63, but damm, 10mpg!!

My '07 twin turbo, 600+rwhp C6 'vert Vette gets 25.9 mpg (highway cruise at 80-85mph). Driving it (around town) like I stole it nets 20-22mpg.
Yah I know it's lighter, blah blah, but it has close to 700 crank HP.

Can that 10mpg be right? What's that, 150 mile range per tank (no pun)
'08 CTS-V could be looking better than ever.

Is this a "who cares" thing?
Regards,
George
Old 10-27-2007, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
I am getting a CLK63 Black. And its a ***** to get.
A quick search on Autotrader.com shows that quite a few of them are available. Would you like me to provide you with a list of dealers who have them in stock, right now, so that you can finally get your heavy, poor handling, lousy steering, uninvolving, slushbox-driven, lousy in the twisties, unreliable Benz?
Old 10-27-2007, 08:54 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
A quick search on Autotrader.com shows that quite a few of them are available. Would you like me to provide you with a list of dealers who have them in stock, right now, so that you can finally get your heavy, poor handling, lousy steering, uninvolving, slushbox-driven, lousy in the twisties, unreliable Benz?

What is your point? Are you calling me a liar about the CLK63 BS I'm buying?
If so, be more forthright
Old 10-27-2007, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
LOL! Point proven.
What size tinfoil hat do you take?

Do you always argue with yourself?
Please, don't insult me by saying I'm you; I'm arguing with you.

You can't even get my car right
Typo. One letter difference

then you go on to supposedly describe my opinion of it. I said none of that about the CLK63BS (or the C63).
Right, which is why in every post I've encountered you, you've raised the same criticisms of Mercedes: poor handling, heavy, lousy in the twisties, and unreliable.

So if the C63 is too heavy at 4,000 pounds, then why isn't the CLK63 too heavy at 3950 or so?

If Mercedes as a brand is unreliable, then why isn't the CLK63 unreliable?

As you, yourself, have written, your M6's engine went out:
They gave you a new M6 over a transmission problem? My motor went out and BMW just fixed it.
So why are you in here blathering, raising stupid rhetorical questions about Mercedes reliability in response to an utterly unrelated point, when your BMW's engine blew, and when Consumer Reports rates the 6 Series' reliability at 37% below average?

And before, you wrote the following gem:
Are you people serious? Until AMG lightens their cars and puts something other than a slushbox in them they'll be chasing M's.
BTW, C&D has the new M3 @ 4.4 to 60 and 12.9@111 in the quarter.
(faster than their test on the RS4). And they believe the numbers will be better once final production car is available.
BUZZ!!! Nice try, chip, but you lose; the numbers are in.

My car is scheduled to be built on Tuesday (finally). So however long it takes to get here(hopefully around Thanksgiving) I'll post pictures.

Again, I raised those as typical arguments against Mercedes, that shouldn't just be dismissed as flippantly you do with the "twisities".
"Flippantly dismissing" being, to you, my stating that even IF the M3 is faster through the curves, the C63 will outbrake it and catch it on the straights?

Are you really so stupid that you can't grasp those simple facts, or are you simply being willfully obtuse? This isn't rocket science, let alone a "flippant dismissal"; what makes a car go around a track (or twisties) is its relative grip, its braking, and acceleration capabilities, unless that is you intend to putt putt between corners, speed up in the corners, and slow back down again after taking them.

So if 1) Car B is within a few tenths of Car A in terms of absolute grip (0.89 g for the C63, 0.91 for the M3), and 2) Car B stops faster, and 3) Car B accelerates FAR faster, then how is it valid to dismissively state that Car B will get its clock cleaned in the "twisties"??

Answer: it will not.

Last edited by Improviz; 10-27-2007 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
What is your point? Are you calling me a liar about the CLK63 BS I'm buying?
If so, be more forthright
I'm just wondering why it's taking you so long to purchase this heavy, unreliable, slushbox-driven, poor handling, outclassed-in-the-twisties Benz, when they're sitting on dealers' lots right now.

I'm also wondering why you're purchasing a heavy, unreliable, slushbox-driven, poor handling, outclassed-in-the-twisties Benz, when you have repeatedly stated in this and other forums that you consider the Ms to be superior. If so, why not get another one?

This is not a rhetorical question. You have, repeatedly, made comments like those listed above, so it begs a question: why the hell would someone who feels this way about a marque buy one of them? I wouldn't even step on a lot if I had this opinion of a brand, let alone purchase one.

Maybe you are going to get one, and are just weird and bipolar.....from what I've seen you exhibit in your posting behavior so far, this is, quite frankly, entirely plausible.

Last edited by Improviz; 10-27-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:07 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
I'm just wondering why it's taking you so long to purchase this heavy, unreliable, slushbox-driven, poor handling, outclassed-in-the-twisties Benz, when they're sitting on dealers' lots right now.

I'm also wondering why you're purchasing a heavy, unreliable, slushbox-driven, poor handling, outclassed-in-the-twisties Benz, when you have repeatedly stated in this and other forums that you consider the Ms to be superior. If so, why not get another one?

This is not a rhetorical question. You have, repeatedly, made comments like those listed above, so it begs a question: why the hell would someone who feels this way about a marque buy one of them? I wouldn't even step on a lot if I had this opinion of a brand, let alone purchase one.

Maybe you are going to get one, and are just weird and bipolar.....from what I've seen you exhibit in your posting behavior so far, this is, quite frankly, entirely plausible.

If you knew anything about the production numbers of the CLK63 BS you wouldn't be asking the question. Mercedes is only making ~500 worldwide with only about 300 coming to the US. My dealer had to call in a favor to get the thing. I tend to believe it because it took months to confirm(and I'm a fairly good customer-bought a CLS55, Cayenne S, A4, and Q7 in the past two years from him) .

And as far as why I'm buying the Black. It is unlike any other production Merc.
It is made to be a great drivers car not just another overpowered cruiser.

I never said overall Ms are superior to AMG based cars. (The post you dug up about AMGs chasing Ms was a poor choice of words comment on one of your twisties dismissals. I believe I stated that at the time. It was about a specific attribute not generality). And who do you think is trying to displace whom? The C63 is aimed at the M3 not the other way around. Not that BMW isn't really worried about Mercedes.

I have said over and over again I have had a bad experience with my M6 and I'm going to give Mercedes a try again because of it(after having a bad experience with my CLS55). And as I have repeatedly said I like both brands. They both have strong and weak points. Mercedes has typically been attacked for the things I have listed and BMW gets hammered on not having the power of AMG cars, having overly complicated interfaces, and god awful Chris Bangle styling.
Maybe I'm too much of a contrarian. I get grief on M3 boards over liking Mercedes.
And if I'm so "obtuse" and mentally ill why do you bother arguing?

Last edited by chiphomme; 10-27-2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
This arguing is pointless, the C63 is faster than the M3. The 30-50 on the C63 is 3x faster than the M3 and 50-70 2x as fast. Game over.

I'm also tired of the whole twisties/track argument to; it's old and frankly stupid. How many of these cars will ever see a track, 1%? The #s even there are so negnligible it's not even worth looking at. In the real world the M3 is just another slow car in the C63s way. Shoot, you could even hunt M5s with the C63.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
If you knew anything about the production numbers of the CLK63 BS you wouldn't be asking the question. Mercedes is only making ~500 worldwide with only about 300 coming to the US. My dealer had to call in a favor to get the thing. I tend to believe it because it took months to confirm(and I'm a fairly good customer-bought a CLS55, Cayenne S, A4, and Q7 in the past two years from him) .
Again: I searched on autotrader.com (try it yourself), and had absolutely no difficulty whatsoever finding several brand new CLK Black Series on dealers' lots. So I'm happy to hear you were able to order one, but they're out there:
Atlanta has one:
Bakersfield has one:
Star motorcars has one:
Silver Star Mercedes has one:
Autohaus on Edens has one:
Herb Gordon Mercedes Benz has one:

There were several more, but I think I've made my point.

And as far as why I'm buying the Black. It is unlike any other production Merc.
It is made to be a great drivers car not just another overpowered cruiser.
You're dodging my questions. You criticize the C63 as heavy, but the CLK63 BS' weight is within 100 pounds of it. It has the same "slushbox" that you unfailingly criticize. It is made by Mercedes, whose reliability you've called into question. Its steering rack is made by Mercedes, and you've criticized their steering racks.

So how does the BS alleviate these? It does have a more sophisticated suspension (although the C63, which you've criticized, shares its front suspension, minus the capability of adjustment), but is still heavy, with the slushbox, etc....

And the cost is awfully high when you consider this:

It's clearly faster, more exclusive, and so forth, but that's a pretty high price point for 0.5 seconds! And, as an added bonus, the M3 is lighter, has no slushbox, and BMW quality, which you regard as higher than MB quality.

I never said overall Ms are superior to AMG based cars. (The post you dug up about AMGs chasing Ms was a poor choice of words comment on one of your twisties dismissals. I believe I stated that at the time. It was about a specific attribute not generality).
False. I had not, in that thread, prior to your post, posted anything whatsoever about BMWs and twisties; in fact, my only post in the thread at that time was post #37 (yours was #39) in response to another poster, who had incorrectly asserted that a C5 Corvette would not turn a faster lap than an Evo IX. I posted the lap times for both cars. I made no mention of BMWs, or their prowess in the twisties.

So would you care to take another crack at explaining that "AMGs will be chasing M cars" remark? As I'm sure you're aware, the CLK63 managed to outdo the new M3 at Hockenheim, "slushbox" and heavy weight aside...

And, as indicated by the "slushbox" remark, you have, on many occasions, repeatedly made remarks indicative of, shall we say, a much higher degree of enthusiasm towards the BMW marque. Which is fine, but when you on one hand bash Mercedes all the time and then say you're planning to purchase one, it does beg a question, which imo you really haven't adequately addressed.

And who do you think is trying to displace whom? The C63 is aimed at the M3 not the other way around. Not that BMW isn't really worried about Mercedes.
Another red herring, unrelated to what we're discussing. However, I'll add my $0.02: the M3 has definitely been considered to be the benchmark in performance over the years, but beginning with the C55 (which hit the same laptime at Nurburgring as the M3), the gap has rapidly closed, to the point where AutoCar wrote:
I can’t think I ever imagined a time when I would state, unequivocally, that a fast C-class would have better steering than an M3, but that time has come. The M3’s rack has been the subject of much debate since its launch. I don’t have as much of a problem with its apparent lack of “feel” as some because you can still place the car accurately through any turn, but the weighting and steering wheel of the C63 are both superior. Turn the wheel through 15 degrees either side of the straight-ahead, as you do countless times when making time to Frankfurt airport, and your hands and shoulders are met with more resistance than they are in the M3.......But what I find most appealing about the C63 as it covers ground is the way it finds a rhythm over these tough roads. I ran a C55 for a year and found it a wonderful car to live with, but there was always some disharmony present when you wanted to pin your ears back. Either the ESP became overzealous, or the auto ’box felt crude, or the engine didn’t want to pull above 6000rpm. All of this has been overturned by the C63. Wolf Zimmerman, one of the big cheeses at AMG, had insisted that I should drive the car in “M” mode, just using the paddles to shift manually and taking advantage of 30 percent faster shift times than in the fastest automatic setting. But this isn’t Hockenheim and whatever time may be lost in cog changes is surely recovered by the security of having two hands on the wheel at all times.
"Unless the M3 driver’s heel ’n’ toe technique is of the highest quality, he won’t see which way the C63 went."

This is like no other Mercedes auto gearbox. It takes a few miles to adapt to the way an individual drives, but thereafter it does little wrong. Upshifts are fast and smooth, and the way it actions blip-perfect downshifts under hard braking will be a revelation to those who have cursed these automatic transmissions in the past.
Which would, along with numerous other reviews, seem to address the steering and "slushbox" issues you raised earlier.

I have said over and over again I have had a bad experience with my M6 and I'm going to give Mercedes a try again because of it(after having a bad experience with my CLS55). And as I have repeatedly said I like both brands. They both have strong and weak points. Mercedes has typically been attacked for the things I have listed and BMW gets hammered on not having the power of AMG cars, having overly complicated interfaces, and god awful Chris Bangle styling.
Maybe I'm too much of a contrarian. I get grief on M3 boards over liking Mercedes.
And if I'm so "obtuse" and mentally ill why do you bother arguing?
It's a weakness.

Anyway, I like both cars, and although I'll probably retire from the HiPo cars after this one, if I were in the market, I'd give both of these cars a serious look and drive....both have things I like and dislike.

Last edited by Improviz; 10-28-2007 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Originally Posted by nwamg

When it comes to ride quality I think the testers either failed to mention or simply neglected to use the adjustable suspension settings on the C63. The ones that used this feature found the C63 to be very comfortable and well damped on the more forgiving settings and the ones that didn't left the car in it's firmest setting to give them something to fault the C63 about and a reason to praise the M3.
There is NO adjustable suspension in the C63. The official press release does not mention anything about adjustable suspension, and neither does the C63 brochure from the international AMG website. If I recall, AMG decided against offerring any form of adjustable suspensioni to keep costs/price down. The C63 does not have the adjustable airmatic suspension like E/CLS 63 or the Active Body Control like the S/SL/CL AMG cars. Hell, I don't think it even has the agility control system of mechanically adjustable damping system found on the C300/C350 sport sedans.

The car tested by C&D did not have the performance package either, which would have included even more sporty suspension and 19" rims with lower profile tires......which likely means even worse ride quality, unless you're on smooth track.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:19 AM

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Too many to list
Originally Posted by bfnnrgn
This arguing is pointless, the C63 is faster than the M3. The 30-50 on the C63 is 3x faster than the M3 and 50-70 2x as fast. Game over.

I'm also tired of the whole twisties/track argument to; it's old and frankly stupid. How many of these cars will ever see a track, 1%? The #s even there are so negnligible it's not even worth looking at. In the real world the M3 is just another slow car in the C63s way. Shoot, you could even hunt M5s with the C63.
I concur with your statement. These 2 kids are arguing about something that is just "my words against your words". Both cars are not on our shores yet, so everything mentioned is just plain speculation. Let's keep the peace. Both cars are superb, ok kids?
Old 10-28-2007, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 Audi urS6 Quattro
Actually, it's 0-60, 70, 80, 90....150, basically.

Lol, I wondered how long it would take for the good ol' fashioned "twisties" argument to come out! Btw, the C63 had better braking as well, albeit by one foot, but better nevertheless. Just like the BMW's 0.03 g skidpad difference (0.91 vs 0.89) is slightly better. As usual, the BMW was better in slalom (or lane change as C&D calls it), 65.9 to 64.0.

Only problem with the "twisties" argument is that now, since the C63 both outaccelerates and outbrakes the M3, this will tend to negate any advantage in corners (if you consider an extra 0.03 g of grip to be earth-shattering, that is). Iow, even if you do pull a faster corner, the C63 will pass you on the straights, and you won't catch up under braking either!
The handling test will come in the form of Nurburgring Lap times.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:54 AM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
Again: I searched on autotrader.com (try it yourself), and had absolutely no difficulty whatsoever finding several brand new CLK Black Series on dealers' lots. So I'm happy to hear you were able to order one, but they're out there:
Atlanta has one:
Bakersfield has one:
Star motorcars has one:
Silver Star Mercedes has one:
Autohaus on Edens has one:
Herb Gordon Mercedes Benz has one:

There were several more, but I think I've made my point.

Yeah here and now you can find them. Two months ago you couldn't unless you paid above sticker (go read through the CLK63 Black forum). And all this is moot because my dealer couldn't get one easily and thats who I buy from.
And this wouldn't even be a talking point had you not basically called me a liar.

You're dodging my questions. You criticize the C63 as heavy, but the CLK63 BS' weight is within 100 pounds of it. It has the same "slushbox" that you unfailingly criticize. It is made by Mercedes, whose reliability you've called into question. Its steering rack is made by Mercedes, and you've criticized their steering racks.

First off I have never said I disliked the C63 but is heavy, it does have an automatic tranny, and Mercedes quality has been an issue. Are you denying this? Sheez. How many times do I have to say that each car maker has its weaknesses and strengths. Those historically (well at least over the last decade) have been Mercedes' problems.
And I wouldn't have gone back to Mercedes had BMW not failed so miserably to impress me with this M6(what do I have to pay to get one that works.
I am still concerned with the weight, the autobox,and the quality but it appears Mercedes is making a more serious effort at a drivers car (read CLK63BS reviews-as well as C63). but I'll know for sure in a month or so

Last edited by chiphomme; 10-28-2007 at 01:05 AM.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Yeah here and now you can find them. Two months ago you couldn't unless you paid above sticker (go read through the CLK63 Black forum). And all this is moot because my dealer couldn't get one easily and thats who I buy from.
And this wouldn't even be a talking point had you not basically called me a liar.
As I said: I was curious as to why it's taking you so long to get a car that's sitting on dealers' lots.

First off I have never said I disliked the C63 but is heavy, it does have an automatic tranny, and Mercedes quality has been an issue.
Well, you were saying a bit more than that, more along the lines of the "slushbox" is uninvolving, poor steering, waay too heavy, terrible quality, etc..

Are you denying this? Sheez.
No! For someone who is so fond of claiming that I'm failing to grasp your points, you sure are doing a fine job of failing to grasp mine....since implicit points don't seem to work, I'll say it explicitly: each of the above (now sugar-coated) criticisms can be levelled at the CLK63 BS.

Which is why I felt it begged the question "Why are you buying one?". You have, at last, addressed this:

How many times do I have to say that each car maker has its weaknesses and strengths. Those historically (well at least over the last decade) have been Mercedes' problems.
And I wouldn't have gone back to Mercedes had BMW not failed so miserably to impress me with this M6(what do I have to pay to get one that works.
I am still concerned with the weight, the autobox,and the quality but it appears Mercedes is making a more serious effort at a drivers car (read CLK63BS reviews-as well as C63). but I'll know for sure in a month or so
Well, with all due respect to my AMG brethren, for the kind of wad a CLK63 BS will cost you, you could buy a brand new GT3--a fantastic drivers' car if ever there was one--*and* have enough left over to get a few year old S Class in excecllent condition for a daily driver, but as with automatics/manuals/SMGs, it all boils down to personal preference!

Last edited by Improviz; 10-28-2007 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:13 PM

2007 Corvette Z06/2011 BMW M3
Improviz, do you wait by your computer all day just waiting for a response?
Old 10-28-2007, 01:16 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
As I said: I was curious as to why it's taking you so long to get a car that's sitting on dealers' lots.
No you weren't. You were mocking me. You couldn't even get the car right. Then in order to recover some sort of footing on a point that shouldn't even be debated you go digging through Autotrader. Whatever. I had a hell of time getting this limited production car from my dealer.

Well, you were saying a bit more than that, more along the lines of the "slushbox" is uninvolving, poor steering, waay too heavy, terrible quality, etc..

No I wasn't. You were reading into it too much.

No! For someone who is so fond of claiming that I'm failing to grasp your points, you sure are doing a fine job of failing to grasp mine....since implicit points don't seem to work, I'll say it explicitly: each of the above (now sugar-coated) criticisms can be levelled at the CLK63 BS.
This is just getting silly. You say I don't understand what youre saying and I say you don't get what I am stating.

Which is why I felt it begged the question "Why are you buying one?". You have, at last, addressed this:

Why? Because the CLK63BS has never been the point of this thread (neither has my M6). I have pointed those two vehicles out merely to show some sort of neutrality.

Well, with all due respect to my AMG brethren, for the kind of wad a CLK63 BS will cost you, you could buy a brand new GT3--a fantastic drivers' car if ever there was one--*and* have enough left over to get a few year old S Class in excecllent condition for a daily driver, but as with automatics/manuals/SMGs, it all boils down to personal preference!

Very true. But I dont want a 911 and that car is even more difficult to get than my CLK63BS (but I haven't checked Autotrader to confirm).

Peace to you (and I'm not being sarcastic).
Old 10-28-2007, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
No you weren't. You were mocking me. You couldn't even get the car right. Then in order to recover some sort of footing on a point that shouldn't even be debated you go digging through Autotrader. Whatever. I had a hell of time getting this limited production car from my dealer.
I was curious, *and* I was mocking you.

No I wasn't. You were reading into it too much.
Maybe, but your remarks (this and other prior remarks, such as the "AMGs will always be chasing M cars") seemed to be intended to denigrate the AMG cars. Perhaps you genuinely didn't mean them that way, but it's hard for me to imagine that you're incapable of seeing that others can, and have, taken them that way.

This is just getting silly. You say I don't understand what youre saying and I say you don't get what I am stating.
I was referring specifically to my point that the criticisms you've leveled at the C63 (and other Benzes) are equally applicable to the CLK63 BS.

Now, faced with this inherent contradiction, you've basically ceded that AMG is now (most of us would argue then as well, but whatever) building "serious drivers' cars".

Fine, although as I've said, imo the GT3 is a better "drivers' car" than the CLK63 BS (although I'd be perfectly happy with either, but as I said I'm retiring from the HiPo car genre after this one).

But the criticisms were made, and I was responding to them specifically.

Why? Because the CLK63BS has never been the point of this thread (neither has my M6). I have pointed those two vehicles out merely to show some sort of neutrality.
Oh, come on, you know where I'm coming from here....I've already explained my reasoning, no need to rehash, but to me, leveling criticisms of Benzes which are all applicable to the CLK63 you're going to get, along with the SMG/paddle shifted auto hair splitting, looks like a double standard. People in glass houses (or who will, starting in November, reside in a glass house) shouldn't throw stones.

Anyway, I belive we've gotten about as far down the "mutual understanding" road as we're going to on this point, so I'd say let's just drop it.

Very true. But I dont want a 911 and that car is even more difficult to get than my CLK63BS (but I haven't checked Autotrader to confirm).
You may be right, but at this point I'm too lazy to check! But in that price range, the GT3 is definitely (imo) the be-all, end-all of drivers' cars.

Peace to you (and I'm not being sarcastic).
Likewise, and I'm not either.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver: C63 AMG v '07 Audi RS 4 v '08 BMW M3