CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

CLK BE - First Drive Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK BE - First Drive Impressions

Picked up a CLK BE from the dealer yesterday and has a chance to drive the car about 60 miles and thought I'd share my initial impressions.

Visually, the car has a very powerful presence, highlighted by the fender flares and the beautiful wheels. The color black suits the car very well, with the only potential downside (other than the usual black car concerns) being that the carbon fiber elements blend into the bodywork rather than pop out. The rear view of the car is particularly attractive, especially with the vented carbon body work of the diffuser revealing the race car components at the rear end.

Inside the car, the overall feel has a bit of dated look which is consistent with how long the CLK in its current form has been produced. The DTM style shifter, the special steering wheel and the carbon fiber elements do give it a more current look. The rear seat area (at least where they used to be) is well done, but for me I much would have preferred some small backseats, even if they had little padding, as it would have increased the usability of the car for me.

The crown jewel of the interior is most certainly the seats, which are probably the best combination of a track/street seat that I’ve used. The adjustable side bolsters allow you tighten the seat up into a configuration that is just short of race seat lateral support. Even with that, the seats are very comfortable and the leather is a very high quality.

The ride of the car is unlike any MBZ I’ve owned. The ride is very firm in a way that most sports car drivers will love but your typical MBZ owner probably wouldn’t get. It feels similar to the ride firmness of the Challenge Stradale but the BE would be more usable than the CS, largely because the BE has road noise insulation that the CS doesn’t have. For me, the suspension would be a bit too firm to use the car as a long term daily driver, but it’s by no means harsh and I don’t think it would be overly fatiguing for 2+ hour road trips.

The steering of the BE is wonderfully tight, albeit a bit heavy at lower speeds. I never thought I’d say this about an AMG car, but the steering is “slot car” responsive, with fabulous feedback. I didn’t have a chance to hustle the car much, but on the few occasions I did it was flat and felt near neutral, with a just a hint of under steer. The car doesn’t feel like it weights 3,900 pounds. While it doesn’t feel light, it hides its weight well.

I didn’t have the chance to use the brakes much, but they felt very firm and easy to modulate.

The transmission is easy to use, and there is a lot of fun to be had just leaving the car in Drive. When I used the paddles to change the gears I did find that the response time for the up and down shifts was a bit lazy, certainly by modern Ferrari standards.

I’m familiar with the 6.3 engine from the CL63, but it feels very different in the BE. The sound of the exhaust is fabulous, with a baritone rumble at idle and a deep guttural growl on power. The power is prodigious, with a more pronounced feeling of torque than I’ve experienced in my E55 or CL63. This is an incredible engine and this has to be the best chassis in which to enjoy it.

Overall, I think this car is a huge success for AMG and Mercedes. The race oriented set-up will limit its broad appeal, but I think this car puts AMG back on the map in terms of being able to compete for the dollars and accolades of the driving enthusiast who would otherwise buy a GT2/GT3 from Porsche, an F430 from Ferrari or a Gallardo from Lamborghini. The value of the AMG brand had, in my opinion, been diluted by all the cars produced with AMG tuning and bodywork/badges. I think it’s very exciting to have this Black Series niche for those of us who truly value a driver’s car. The car is very well done.
Attached Thumbnails CLK BE - First Drive Impressions-dsc_3523.jpg   CLK BE - First Drive Impressions-dsc_3525.jpg   CLK BE - First Drive Impressions-dsc_3526.jpg   CLK BE - First Drive Impressions-dsc_3528.jpg   CLK BE - First Drive Impressions-dsc_3529.jpg  

Old 08-26-2007, 04:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK320 2002
the black serious looks sick did you purchase the black series from the san rafael mercedes cause i saw that one there in the mornin.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Thanks for the writeup ... I have one coming in if I choose and still am debating between the BS and a 997TT. Since you and I are both W211 E55 owners, care to shed any light on the differences there? I know there will be many but I am particularly interested since it will be my 55 that will fall on the chopping block. I have a stage II car with other mods and its putting out about 485hp at the wheels. I dont care about losing the back seat since I have a couple other cars including a CL65.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:24 PM

Great for AMG that they have a car that actually makes a buyer stop and think before buying a TT Porsche. I've had both the 993TT and 996TT, but not a 997TT. For me, I would choose the CLKBE over the 997TT.

The power delivery in the MBZ is much more linear. In my TT's I always found myself chasing the rev point that I wanted, sometimes on the way up the rev band and sometimes on the way down after the turbos spooled. I've found the TT engine a difficult one to modulate - it was all or nothing. The torque in the CLKBE is remarkable.

I also prefer the exclusivity of the CLKBE. There are too many 911 turbos around.

For me, a harder choice would be between the GT3RS and the CLKBE. NOt sure how I would decide on that one.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:20 PM

2008 G55 - 2008 CLK 63 Black Series
Are you keeping your 07 M6?

I'm on my second M6 this year (first one had an SMG failure).

How do you contrast the drive in the CLK BLK to the 07 M6?

The car is beautiful, I may be in the seat of one exactly like that on the 7th of September.

rockg55
Old 08-27-2007, 12:33 AM

Sorry to hear about the SMG problem. Wihtout question that is the weak link on what is otherwise a fabulous car. I hope that BMW made it relatively easy for you.

The M6 is my daily driver (13K miles) and I'm not planning on selling it just yet. The CLK BE is a much harder, edgier, and performance oriented experience. The BE feels like a track car (except for the over weight part) that is streetable whereas the M6 is first and foremost a street car that you could have some fun with on the track.

The M6 would be much more pleasurable to live with day in and day out but I can't imagine any aspect of performance driving where I'd rather be in the M6 than the BE. If you were thinking of replacing the M6 with a BE as a daily driver I'd recommend that you find a way to get a test drive in a BE to be sure that it would work for you. If you are looking to either add the BE to your stable or perhaps replace the M6 as a "fun car", I'd not have any hesitation in moving ahead with the BE.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:32 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Rockminster, thx for your prelim impressions

Curr have CL63 as both a commuter car and my wkend twisties car....absolutely share the positive view re: AMG's greater recent focus on steering/chassis/brakes.....and the 63 motor's lightness (and impact on steering/handling feel) is much appreciated....

Am hoping that next BS will be Spr08 SL63BS (hopefully w/a fixed cf roof and w/major tech updates to be closer to CL-level tech)...that could be a rather interesting 4000lb commuter/wkend twisties car....

Will be curious to learn your impressions (after a few more wear-in miles) of whether you feel faster/smoother/more stable using the paddles in twisties (as opposed to just letting auto mode prevail)....have driven CL63 some 4K mis (many in mtn twisties around SF) and have found auto mode notably better than using manual paddles (auto is fast/smart; manual response is too slow; and tach is not central enough in instru panel screen)....
Old 08-27-2007, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
I think something like that is coming, called the SLC. The rumors are all over the place at the moment, but such a car could be called the SL63 Black Series also, or it could be even more of a custom job, making it a "Signature Series" car like the CLK-DTM. Exciting times at the Mercedes-AMG workshop.

M
Old 08-28-2007, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
rockminster,
Nice write up. I gave up my number one spot for a euro delivery with some amg perks, so I'm very interested in the impression from owners about living with the car as a daily driver while I patiently wait. The question I have for those that have taken delivery is how adjustable is the suspension with respect to harshness.

I'm keeping my 993tt so I'm in agreement that the porsche 997tt is a nice piece but why another turbo. I soured when the dealers were playing games with the GT3 and RS.

Lastly, the car was rumored to have a built in lap timer, has anyone confirmed this?

Jimmy
Old 08-28-2007, 01:12 AM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
rockminster,
Nice write up. I gave up my number one spot for a euro delivery with some amg perks, so I'm very interested in the impression from owners about living with the car as a daily driver while I patiently wait. The question I have for those that have taken delivery is how adjustable is the suspension with respect to harshness.

I'm keeping my 993tt so I'm in agreement that the porsche 997tt is a nice piece but why another turbo. I soured when the dealers were playing games with the GT3 and RS.

Lastly, the car was rumored to have a built in lap timer, has anyone confirmed this?

Jimmy

Yes on the lap timer, havent had much time to play with mine but it is much more comprehensive than my 997s sport chrono.
As far as daily driveability, I think thats very subjective. Firm does not bother me, and the BS is quite firm, but compliant at the same time. Even the largest bumps are handeled with the same level of dampening as the small ones...it's hard to explain but it does not by any means jar you. You feel every bump, but with Mercedes ride quality. Upon delivery, my dealer told me they are all tuned to be "medium firm". If that's true, there is plenty left to make this car track worthy. My first thought was it needs to be lowered about .50" to .75" but my driveway prevents that...bummer, becasue I really want to slam it. As far as driveability around town goes...it's perfectly fine for those that like a sports car. I would never expect someone that is used to a cushy ride to like this car at all. But, if you're an enthusiast, which you clearly are - you will love it and have no problems in stop and go traffic. The transmission is smooth and many of the early reviews of the car said the C (confort) mode on the transmission was deleted in the BS. Mine has it so maybe that was just on the press cars...I dunno, but the AC works great and it was hot today in Los Angeles and I sat in traffic for a few hours with absolutly nothing but a smile...first time for everything I guess
Just as had been reported, this car is stunning in every way.
The sound is wicked, the brakes are more than adequate (wont know HOW good until a track day), the motor is a BEAST, and the interior is VERY nice; the suspension is amazing and the car does not show its weight in the corners thanks to a stellar and communicative steering. You get in the car an IMMEDIATLY know what this car is about - the seats are some of the best I've ever been in. Honestly my only complaint about this car is that they left the "oh *****" handles in the rear on the headliner, and AC vents for the rear...but removed the seats. I love not having the seats, but those two items they left behind seemed a bit like they forgot...guess they wanted them there in case of groceries or whatnot...who knows but it would have been nice if they had removed them as well from just an aesthetic standpoint.
AMG did exactly what they said - they built an absolute warp speed dual purpose beast, that can be driven everyday and retains everything you'd expect in a Mercedes Benz.
More to follow after a day at the track.

PS - I regret the day I sold my 993TT. Don't ever get rid of yours !!! And if you do, let me know and I'll buy it.

Last edited by LZH; 08-28-2007 at 01:43 AM.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:27 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Really perceptive points from multiple posts....always great to have views from guys familiar w/other relevant comparables....

BTW, what tires are on BS? P ZeroHero?

Had 997TT (and 996TTS and 997S)....agree that 997TT turbo lag is still annoying, even in fwy traffic....and in mtn twisties....and once one becomes accustomed to linear, high-tq NA motors like 63 or 599, realize how primitive are turbo motors....and how impractical are low-tq, high-revving motors when used in a non-track setting....

Seems like biggest hurdle for CLK63BS as a daily commuter car is prob low ground clearance, esp in hilly regions or w/some office pkg garage ramps.....and that painted front spoiler prob isn't as pragmatic as is 997TT's often-scraped/scuffed, but easily replaced, blk plastic front spoiler lip....

Would argue the 4000lb 599 has already changed many conventional-wisdom views re: wt and track/twisties perf (esp when comparing NBR times across track-focused, much lighter cars vs heavywt luxury GTs). Really hard to respect cars w/similar or slower NBR times than 599 if car isn't daily-useable....whether b/c of ground clearance; turbo lag/nonlinearity issues; weak mid-range tq (e.g., GT3 or Scud); or a non-stop-and-go-traffic-compatible gearbox.....

Suspect that this CLK63BS (aside from ground clearance) is just as comfortable/daily-useable as 599 (and prob has superior passive safety)...and sounds like NBR times of CLK BS are likely similar to those of GT3....eagerly awaiting future AMG BS editions.....great stuff....
Old 08-28-2007, 01:44 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by WSH

Seems like biggest hurdle for CLK63BS as a daily commuter car is prob low ground clearance, esp in hilly regions or w/some office pkg garage ramps.....and that painted front spoiler prob isn't as pragmatic as is 997TT's often-scraped/scuffed, but easily replaced, blk plastic front spoiler lip....
I have a heavy duty ABS plastic skid plate being custom designed and cut to fit under the front apron similar to that on an F430. Mine should be ready soon and use the existing mounting holes on the underside of the front apron so no additional holes will be drilled. If anyone is interested, please send me a pm.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:51 PM
Out Of Control!

rockminster,

Thanks for the nice write up. How much was the car?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:22 PM

My car came with P-zero Corsas and was @ msrp.

I've not driven the Black a lot, but I think that the 599 might be more usable as a daily driver (gives you some perspective on how usable the 599 is; how edgy the Black is; or both!). Leaving aside how the difference in value might impact the use of the cars on a daily basis, the 599 has a more compliant ride for daily use and is quieter inside the cabin. The 599 is also more "luxurious" in amenities, which is nice for a daily driver. Biggest knock on the 599 for daily use is the long nose and big proportions that make the car a bit awkward in urban and congested settings (feels like what it must be like to park a Concorde with the nose up).

The Black has great smallish proportions, awesome torque, and a smooth automatic which make it very easy to use. I would question whether the suspension on the Black, which is the beauty of the car, would be what I'd want for daily use.

Would love to hear and learn more about the skid plate whne it is finished.

Last edited by rockminster; 08-28-2007 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:53 PM

2012 S550, 458 Italia, 97 993TT, 56 Speedster, 06 Ford GT, 355GTB
Originally Posted by rockminster

I've not driven the Black a lot, but I think that the 599 might be more usable as a daily driver (gives you some perspective on how usable the 599 is; how edgy the Black is; or both!). Leaving aside how the difference in value might impact the use of the cars on a daily basis, the 599 has a more compliant ride for daily use and is quieter inside the cabin. The 599 is also more "luxurious" in amenities, which is nice for a daily driver. Biggest knock on the 599 for daily use is the long nose and big proportions that make the car a bit awkward in urban and congested settings (feels like what it must be like to park a Concorde with the nose up).

The Black has great smallish proportions, awesome torque, and a smooth automotioc which make it very easy to use. I would question whether the suspension on the Black, which is the beauty of the car, would be what I'd want for daily use.

I am a 599 owner and future MB BS owner. 599 has a split personality. It's quiet... UNTIL you step on it and then it sounds like 100 banshees screaming! It goes through the gears at a breathtaking rate! The cornering and braking capability of the car is equally impressive, particularly then you consider this is a GT car. In short, the 599 is an astonishing, no regrets, car!

BTW, 599 easy to drive in traffic, not awkward at all. Although I don't drive it too often in trafffic so as to avoid the crazy drivers out in full force.

With respect to the Mercedes, I'm a little concerned about the Black's shifting as I don't want an automatic, I want a car I can go up and down, and up again, through the gears. I also wonder about the MB's weight in terms of tossing the car around. It is a stunning car from a visual standpoint, no question. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:34 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65

The Black has great smallish proportions, awesome torque, and a smooth automatic which make it very easy to use. I would question whether the suspension on the Black, which is the beauty of the car, would be what I'd want for daily use.

Drove 599 some 3K mis...brilliant car....my view is that 599 is about as "transformational" a car as was SL55 5yrs ago: challenging conventional notions re: perf/NBR times, etc vs safety/comfort/daily-useability....

599's ground clearance on SF's steepest hills/pkg garage ramps is actually better than 997TT's; would argue 599 ride is more comfortable than 997TT's (even in Normal PASM setting); agree lack of front Parktronic is a huge hassle w/599 in tight urban garages; interestingly, found 599's width (some 3" wider than CL63) to be a major annoyance in many of the tight mtn twisties around SF; 599 on P ZeroHeros reportedly (have a colleague who commuted via 599 and SL65 last winter in SF) has better traction than '07 SL65 (w/BridgePotenzas) for commuting in rain on SF's hills; this BS Corsa stuff may make BS non-CA winter-commuting-compatible.....but my biggest issue w/599 was dubious passive safety in any frontal collision in mtn twisties.....or if rear-ended at high-speeds on, for ex., 280 in its typically 80MPH+ rush-hr flow....F fuel tank crashworthiness is dubious at best (don't let those silly fire extinguishers fool ya)....

Not clear to me that a 599 (whether bought at MSRP or mkt) and driven 15K mis in one yr will have materially different one-yr deprec costs vs CLK BS driven 15K mis in one yr....
Old 08-29-2007, 08:08 PM

2012 S550, 458 Italia, 97 993TT, 56 Speedster, 06 Ford GT, 355GTB
Originally Posted by WSH
Not clear to me that a 599 (whether bought at MSRP or mkt) and driven 15K mis in one yr will have materially different one-yr deprec costs vs CLK BS driven 15K mis in one yr....
The MSRP on my 599 was $338Kish. I can sell it today, used, for $435K to a dealer! I'm willing to wager that the 599 will still be worth above MSRP after 12 months of ownership.

I'm thinking well used CLKs won't be selling for above MSRP in a year from now, although I would love to be wrong!

Who knows, it's not clear to anyone unless you can read the tea leaves.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:49 PM

My only other major criticism on the M6 other than SMG is how limited the range is on a tank of gas. I'm used to my cars getting bad mileage, but the combo of bad mileage and a small tank impacts usability when it feels like I'm fueling every other day, sometimes everyday. The M6 was the first car I've owned where I've really been aware of this. It's not the money at the pump, it's the frequency at the pump.

What does this have to do with the Black? Well, run the numbers on this!

10 MPG (maybe) x 16.x gallons = Lots of stops to refuel.

With no back seats it would have been nice to use some of that space to provide a reasonable fuel tank.

IN terms of range, the Black will make the M6 look like an Accord and the 599 is a Prius by comparison. Interesting to see how this plays out over time.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:25 AM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by rockg55
Are you keeping your 07 M6?

I'm on my second M6 this year (first one had an SMG failure).

How do you contrast the drive in the CLK BLK to the 07 M6?

The car is beautiful, I may be in the seat of one exactly like that on the 7th of September.

rockg55

They gave you a new M6 over a transmission problem? My motor went out and BMW just fixed it.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:29 AM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
My only other major criticism on the M6 other than SMG is how limited the range is on a tank of gas. I'm used to my cars getting bad mileage, but the combo of bad mileage and a small tank impacts usability when it feels like I'm fueling every other day, sometimes everyday. The M6 was the first car I've owned where I've really been aware of this. It's not the money at the pump, it's the frequency at the pump.

What does this have to do with the Black? Well, run the numbers on this!

10 MPG (maybe) x 16.x gallons = Lots of stops to refuel.

With no back seats it would have been nice to use some of that space to provide a reasonable fuel tank.

IN terms of range, the Black will make the M6 look like an Accord and the 599 is a Prius by comparison. Interesting to see how this plays out over time.

Well that's not good. My biggest gripe about my M6 is the range.
And unlike you I can't afford both. So when the CLK63 BS comes in later this year ,my M6 will be gone.
BTW, I don't quite get the SMG complaint (especially from Mercedes owners). I have had it on my M3 and M6 and love it.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:55 AM
LZH
Banned

Originally Posted by chiphomme
BTW, I don't quite get the SMG complaint (especially from Mercedes owners). I have had it on my M3 and M6 and love it.

u got lucky
Old 09-03-2007, 12:48 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by LZH
u got lucky

What do you mean? Or is it like saying you've owned a Mercedes and never had a quality issue?
Old 09-05-2007, 01:09 AM

If you are thinking about it,

This car comes close to being perfect.

Sound, acceleration, shifting, responsiveness, looks, ease of use and practicality (if you don't need a back seat).

Don't hesitate, thank goodness for my friends who turned me on to it!
Old 09-10-2007, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by chiphomme
They gave you a new M6 over a transmission problem? My motor went out and BMW just fixed it.
I took a bit of a bath on the trade, I wanted to give the M6 a fair shake.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:50 PM

Sorry to hear about the SMG problem. Wihtout question that is the weak link on what is otherwise a fabulous car. I hope that BMW made it relatively easy for you.

The M6 is my daily driver (13K miles) and I'm not planning on selling it just yet. The CLK BE is a much harder, edgier, and performance oriented experience. The BE feels like a track car (except for the over weight part) that is streetable whereas the M6 is first and foremost a street car that you could have some fun with on the track.

The M6 would be much more pleasurable to live with day in and day out but I can't imagine any aspect of performance driving where I'd rather be in the M6 than the BE. If you were thinking of replacing the M6 with a BE as a daily driver I'd recommend that you find a way to get a test drive in a BE to be sure that it would work for you. If you are looking to either add the BE to your stable or perhaps replace the M6 as a "fun car", I'd not have any hesitation in moving ahead with the BE.

Picked up my CLK Black Series last Thursday and wasted no time putting on 400 miles break in road miles. While I really enjoyed my M6, I really, really enjoy driving the CLK Black.

Top picks: torque, engine response at low end, sound, awesome predictable handling, 2 seats versus a useless 4, build quality.

The best way I can describe the difference from a purpose built perspective is a Toyota Land Crusier is to a G55 like an M6 is to a CLK Black.

The CLK Black is a perfomance purpose built machine, the M6 is a serious machine with comfort and amenities as well as performance in a tight balancing act.

After 3 minutes in the Black my fond memories of my M6 faded faster then memories of a cheap date.

Last edited by rockg55; 09-11-2007 at 12:21 AM.