Sponsored by:

What to think of Top Gear's review of C63 VS M3 Vs Rs4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65
I've had 4 AMGs, none have ever seen the track and none ever will. They're street cars and that is where they shine, far and above anything the M3 could hope for. If the AMG is the better street car, then that's what I buy because that's all they'll ever see. The track comparisons are frankly stupid and pointless.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Now we have another head to head test on a race track with laptimes on a racetrack, which I prefer because it is much more objective than anybody's opinion about a car's performance. Like the previous one by Evo magazine, this confirms the fact that the E92 M3 is faster than the W204 C63 AMG by quite a significant margin when it comes to overall performance on a track. Sure, the C63 will win the drag races on the roads, but that is just one dimension of a performance car. Being faster in a straight line than the M3 is nothing that is mind-blowingly different compared to older generation C-AMG cars and M3's.

Am I dissappointed? You bet, especially with all the hype about how the C63 is SO MUCH better than all previous C-AMG cars......a car that will finally match or beat the legendary M3 at it's own game. All the glowing early reviews of the C63 were NOT head to head comparison tests. Head to head comparisons are the most valid types, because the journalists can actually compare the cars on the same roads, same track, and make more valid remarks about the cars relative to each other. I'm sure the C63 is a big improvement over previous C-AMG cars, but it seems the E92 M3 has also upped its game significantly over the previous M3.

The "more practical" benefits of the C63 over the M3 coupe are irrelevant. Remember that there will be a E90 M3 sedan, and there will be a dual clutch manual gearbox that will be available in the near future. So you will get 4 doors, and a sweet smooth shifting transmission that can perform perfectly like a automatic transmission for those rush hour city drives, while offering lightning quick manual shifts for fun drives on the racetrack or empty roads. You will still get the superior BMW steering, and the superior driving "feel" for the road. If you don't like the BMW 3 series looks, fine, but that is not the point here.

Anyways, previous C-AMG cars have ALWAYS been better suited as road cars than previous M3's........less loud, less harsh, less bumpy, more room, etc, etc,. But now the C63 has become the more harsh riding of the two, while the M3's adjustable suspension is more comfortable on bumpy roads.......but the M3 STILL kills the C63 on the track, despite the C63 being much quicker in a straight line.

I had high hopes for the C63 in taking on the M3 at the track, because that was always the criticism of previous C-AMG cars......their inferiority when it came to handling and a sense of driver involvement. The C36, C43, and C32 were all well short of the M3's that they competed against with regards to laptimes. The C55 finally came within very close striking distance with regards to laptimes compared to the E46 M3, yet the C55 maintained its superiority as a daily driver/road car. Now, it seems the gap has again widened significantly between the E92 M3 and C63 on the track.......and the C63 has become less comfortable as a daily driver at the same time.

So far, both Motortrend and C&D from North America pick the M3 over the C63 in head to head comparison tests. I await Road & Track's opinion.

And I agree that most C-AMG drivers, and even most M3 drivers never take their car to the track. But this is no different than before as well. Other than a few of us who do track our cars, all of these car mag opinions and objective test data really is for bragging rights. The acceleration times may be relevant for those who do drag race on the streets. But these "losses" to the M3 in magazine comparision tests are just bad press for MB and AMG (and for owners of C-AMG cars), and more ammo for the egos of M3 owners.

Last edited by PC Valkyrie; 12-24-2007 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think any of these cars is meant for a lot of track time. Who takes 3600-4000 lb sedans to the track for more than a few trips? Thats what light sports cars are for, and if you can afford these surely you have a budget for one. These are three great sedans, each with a slightly different personality.

I would still pick the C63 over either the RS4 or new M3. I love the styling, motor, and interior most. I'll save the track fun for the M Coupe.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by diamondblak05
Childish remark.

Straight line power is all I need to beat all those ricers out there...and then some more....hahhaha!
I feel like I've been proofed at a bar by a 14 year old bouncer!

If so few people want to take their car to a real track, then why do people fret about tests done on these tracks?

For legal street use, there is NOTHING you can do in a C63 that you cannot also do in a C350.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
I guess I'm one of the few who agrees with Fifth here.

If I had the means, I would have a Porsche 911 GT3 as my track car, a S550 4Matic for my luxury sedan, and a top of the line Honda Odyssey for the family hauler. But some of us don't have the means to have a different car dedicated for every purpose.

That's the beauty of these performance luxury saloons. They can be daily drivers that can carry 4-5 people in relative comfort (upcoming E90 M3 sedan), they are fast in a straight line for the occasional street encounter, yet they can carry some serious pace on a race track, IF YOU WANT to have some fun.

And for those who have never tracked your AMG, you're really missing out on some serious fun.

But the other point of view is also valid here. On the streets, the C63 will almost certainly blow away the E92 M3 because of its acceleration advantage.

Last edited by PC Valkyrie; 12-24-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:19 PM

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Too many to list
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
I feel like I've been proofed at a bar by a 14 year old bouncer!

If so few people want to take their car to a real track, then why do people fret about tests done on these tracks?

For legal street use, there is NOTHING you can do in a C63 that you cannot also do in a C350.
Yes, I am a 14 year old bouncer that just proofed you. So sad to be owned! For street legal use, my moped can do what any car can do, but to win a race, a C350 will lose to alot of ricers. Again, so sad.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by diamondblak05
Yes, I am a 14 year old bouncer that just proofed you. So sad to be owned! For street legal use, my moped can do what any car can do, but to win a race, a C350 will lose to alot of ricers. Again, so sad.
You would buy a C63 to street drag race against "ricers"? Might I suggest a jacked up Mustang?

Spend some time on the C32/C55 forum. People either track their cars, hope to track their cars, or respect those who do. No fear or loathing there. Maybe it's the price point. If this is any indication, the C63's price may relegate it to being a gentleman's boulevardier / rich kid's ricer racer (for a few years 'til values come down and the C32/C55 owners snap them up).

Sports Car International said it well. "If the M3 aims at shift-it-yourselfers who want to hear the revs climb -- think Honda S2000 with a back seat -- the C63 pursues the much larger population of enthusiasts that enjoy taut, responsive handling, muscular styling and burbling V8 rumble in a low-effort package that makes the daily grind tolerable."

Last edited by Fifth Ring; 12-25-2007 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Amiricanmade
I don't know about you guys but i don't know ONE MB owner who "tracks" their car. Many MB owners could careless what the car could do on a "track" or the "twisties"...i will never find myself in the "twisties". The MB is the more practical car, and is much faster in everyday light to light racing. I personally am going to be in the market for the C63 because it is bigger, more practical and more luxuries, and is a beast for it's price. Sucks for BMW, the GT-R will smoooooooooooke it in the "twisties"
Now you know one.................... I do

I love tracking (and drag racing) my cars, it is pure enjoyment. You have to try it sometime

Last edited by MB_Forever; 12-25-2007 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Top Gear Review: C63 vs M3 vs RS4

Seems to me like history repeats itself.......

M3 wins in the handling/agility/"twisties" categories and the Audi wins the quickest launch while the C63 wins everything else
Old 12-25-2007, 05:26 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
More like if you're going to track it, why buy a AMG? lol. 90% of AMG owners don't track their car. AMG is not only for the "track". People buy the AMG becuase it comes with many nice features, inside and out, and more importantly it is a beast to drive. You don't have to track your car to have fun. IF i was gana track a car, i sure would not a pick a auto AMG to do it....dosen't seem fun at all

90% of M owner don't take their cars to tracks either. I have had two Ms in the last 4 years (2004 M3, 2006 M6) and neither went to a track. I buy fast cars for the performance on the street and highway. And yes handling means something there too. The conclusion of the Top Gear was the same as practically every other review (ie both are nice cars but the M gets the nod).
That said I think they're close enough that it just comes down to personal preference. I'd have to drive a C63 to decide but if it's anything like my CLK63Black I'd probably lean toward the Merc.. No one should be disheartened by the M3 winning. It is the benchmark car for a reason.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:17 PM

07 ML320CDI, 05 E350 4Matic
It's interesting to see different opinions on this matter.

I personally don't like track driving so much, but I know few people who love to take their daily driver to track too.
Actually, they have quite nice website dedicated to their cars: http://carfreaks.net/
Old 12-25-2007, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK550
Originally Posted by chiphomme
90% of M owner don't take their cars to tracks either. I have had two Ms in the last 4 years (2004 M3, 2006 M6) and neither went to a track. I buy fast cars for the performance on the street and highway. And yes handling means something there too. The conclusion of the Top Gear was the same as practically every other review (ie both are nice cars but the M gets the nod).
That said I think they're close enough that it just comes down to personal preference. I'd have to drive a C63 to decide but if it's anything like my CLK63Black I'd probably lean toward the Merc.. No one should be disheartened by the M3 winning. It is the benchmark car for a reason.
So you just helped prove my point that most owners don't track their cars. That being said, i don't think the M3 won in Top Gear. The Merc pretty much took all but the track testing, and the M3 took that. So if you care about track testing than the M3 won...but like i said, no one cares. In my eyes, the Merc won that. C63/pre-owned E63 FTW!!!
Old 12-25-2007, 06:51 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
So you just helped prove my point that most owners don't track their cars. That being said, i don't think the M3 won in Top Gear. The Merc pretty much took all but the track testing, and the M3 took that. So if you care about track testing than the M3 won...but like i said, no one cares. In my eyes, the Merc won that. C63/pre-owned E63 FTW!!!
I thought you meant most AMG owners don't track as opposed to M owners.
And why don't you think the M won? They clearly stated it at the end.

Last edited by chiphomme; 12-25-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
C63 all the way! 4 door beast even though it doesnt handle like a true sports car. I think it has too much power for daily driving.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
S550, R350, GL550, ML63 AMG
Lets see how the 4 door M3 compares. One of them said its coming out... The M is a 2 door coupe and should be compared to the CLK63.

Also I've heard a while back that the carbon fiber roof on the M is not standard and won't be optional in the US. I think that is where the M has the advantage. Lower center of gravity... hence better cornering.

Also if the benz had the performance package it would handle better on the turns. I don't know if this one did. But based on the reviews, the performance package is WAY stiffer on the suspension, a bit lower and that might help keep the car on the track. LSD too.

Either way, I think all 3 cars had their selling points. I myself will stick with the more luxurious C63. Its true BEAST.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by bensitto
Lets see how the 4 door M3 compares. One of them said its coming out... The M is a 2 door coupe and should be compared to the CLK63.

Also I've heard a while back that the carbon fiber roof on the M is not standard and won't be optional in the US. I think that is where the M has the advantage. Lower center of gravity... hence better cornering.

Also if the benz had the performance package it would handle better on the turns. I don't know if this one did. But based on the reviews, the performance package is WAY stiffer on the suspension, a bit lower and that might help keep the car on the track. LSD too.

Either way, I think all 3 cars had their selling points. I myself will stick with the more luxurious C63. Its true BEAST.

Since the weight will be very similar and the specs for coupe/sedan pretty much the same I don't see how one expects to see much variance in speed and handling between the coupe and sedan.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Ya didn't see the drag racing part?? C63 smoked both cars..

Seriously, who cares about track time?? 90% of this forum members will not take their own car to track and compete against M3....
Old 12-25-2007, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
Ya didn't see the drag racing part?? C63 smoked both cars..

Seriously, who cares about track time?? 90% of this forum members will not take their own car to track and compete against M3....
The way the car handles in corners/exit ramps is important to me. I don't want a drag star. I won't be racing anyone from a stoplight.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 E63
Originally Posted by GBlansten
The way the car handles in corners/exit ramps is important to me. I don't want a drag star. I won't be racing anyone from a stoplight.
come on, (nudge, nudge) u telling me u never took anyone from a stoplight?
Old 12-25-2007, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by jtc55
come on, (nudge, nudge) u telling me u never took anyone from a stoplight?
I have a lead foot and often take off from red lights but not to race anyone.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:18 AM

2011 Porsche Carrera GTS, 2009 BMW 750Li, 2011 Ferrari 458, 2011 SLS AMG, 2012 C63 AMG BS
They are all heavy and I would never track any one of them. On streets, I will take the C63 any day for its greater passenger and truck space, and way more power and torque for city driving and highway passing power.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
If you watch the end of the program, I think the conclusion is that the M3 is the best at being an M3, and the C63 and RS4 are just not as good at being an M3. It's too bad that M3 has been identified as the icon and the other two are forced to measure up. If the RS4 was the icon, and the mythic standard was all weather performance and ultimate comfort, then the RS4 would always win and the C63 and M3 would fail to meet that standard.

C63 has to stake out its own ground and be comfortable with it. The C63 should be about super acceleration, stability at speed, dignified appearance, fantastic brakes and a comfortable ride. Let the M3 have the track times. Find a way to market to the C63's strengths.

What's unfortunate is that the C63 appears to have sacrificed ride comfort to compete with the M3, yet managed not to turn the harshness into superior handling. And they overdid the styling. Of course, you'll see the AMG styling bits transfer to the lesser C-class over the next few years.

Lastly, a LOT of the difference between two car's handling and braking is determined by choice of tires and brake pads. I'd be interested in knowing what tires the two cars (M3 & C63) were running.

Last edited by Fifth Ring; 12-26-2007 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Originally Posted by GBlansten
You will not take coners / exit ramps at 120mph...C63 should do just FINE on the street.. It's not like the car will flip over when you are turning coners..
If handling part is more important, you should look into Lotus.

I won't be racing anyone from a stoplight or on hwy??? COME ON NOW...

Last edited by Quicktwinturbo; 12-26-2007 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
You will not take coners / exit ramps at 120mph...C63 should do just FINE on the street.. It's not like the car will flip over when you are turning coners..
If handling part is more important, you should look into Lotus.

I won't be racing anyone from a stoplight or on hwy??? COME ON NOW...
That's what days at the track teach you. You are only using a tiny fraction of a performance car's potential grip on exit ramps. And if you are at the limit of adhesion, you're putting a lot at risk. Exit ramps and public roads do not have run-off areas or tire barriers.

Why do I need 350HP? For me, it's just the ability to jump into the passing lane and blast past a line of slow-movers literally in a blink of an eye. I definitely use 100% of the car's HP (for fun and advantage), and in an emergency I'll certainly use 100% of the car's braking. But I do not seem many, if any, occasions when I'll use 100% of the car's handling.

Last edited by Fifth Ring; 12-26-2007 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
That's what days at the track teach you. You are only using a tiny fraction of a performance car's potential grip on exit ramps. And if you are at the limit of adhesion, you're putting a lot at risk. Exit ramps and public roads do not have run-off areas or tire barriers.

Why do I need 350HP? For me, it's just the ability to jump into the passing lane and blast past a line of slow-movers literally in a blink of an eye. I definitely use 100% of the car's HP (for fun and advantage), and in an emergency I'll certainly use 100% of the car's braking. But I do not seem many, if any, occasions when I'll use 100% of the car's handling.
well put sir...
Fact is, people can't drive their cars like F&F Tokyo Drift style... Unless you go out to a track, you don't really need to unleash car's full potential other then braking.

I donno bout other guys but I'll like to have C63 ova M3 or RS4 plez.
Mo powah = Mo fun... Period..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What to think of Top Gear's review of C63 VS M3 Vs Rs4