C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C63 Test Drive Summary (From a curent E46M3 Owner)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 BMW M3
C63 Test Drive Summary (From a curent E46M3 Owner)

Test drove an '08 C63 today in Florida.

Specs: Black/Black, Premium Package, Stock Suspension (Performance Package option not available on the 2008 cars)

Overall Impressions:

- Believe the hype on the sound of the engine note!... it just has an awesome resonance. I got to hear the engine revved-up both inside the dealership on the showroom floor, outside while parked in neutral, and on the road as passenger and driver. I just plain love it. And when the sales guy revved it inside the showroom the sound actually scared some small kids that were nearby!... their mommy had to hustle them to the other side of the showroom. I'm not ashamed to say I got a chuckle out of that... and it was perhaps at that moment that "I KNEW" I had to have me one of these.

- Acceleration... breathtaking. Saying it will plant you back in the seat is an understatement. Of course, I couldn't turn traction control off and really break the rear wheels loose on a test drive, so that fun will have to wait till later.

- Transmission... I thought the transmission shifted gears quickly enough in manual mode... not F1 lightening fast... but not slow. I did not feel this is a weakness. The throttle blip on downshifts is a "must experience"... I think this is why the gas mileage is so poor in all the automotive magazine tests. The throttle blip is addictive... I was doing it repeatedly just for the fun of hearing it... and obviously it's better when your higher in the rpm range. I have grown tired of rowing through the gears on my M3 (at least for now), so I'm looking forward to the C63.

- Given all the chatter I've heard about the ride stiffness I was expecting the suspension to be harsh. Let me state this as clearly as possible... THE RIDE IS NOT HARSH AT ALL. I thought the ride was firm like a sports car should be, but nowhere near harsh. And I had a chance to drive over speed bumps and various rough spots on the road during the test drive (I was looking for them). My current E46M3 is probably a tad stiffer... and if the new M3 is less firm than the C63 then I would say it's probably not firm enough. I was skeptical about ordering the P30 performance package (all I really want is the delimiter and the LSD, but it comes with stiffer suspension too)... but now after driving the stock car, I'm really feeling less concerned about the increased stiffness of the PP. But I still hope they make the LSD and delimiter separate options... I'd probably just pick those.

- After having driven it, I now think all the comparisons with the M3 are really kind of irrelevant to a degree, because these cars are are just so different in character. The C63 is frankly a highly refined 'muscle car'... call it a 'luxury muscle car' that has good handling as a bonus. An M3 comes from a road-racing low-torque/high-rev philosophy. I've been driving an M3 for over 4 years now as my daily driver, and I just can emphasize how much this difference in character struck me when I was driving the C63 today. I could immediately 'feel' the reason why this car can't run with an M3 on a track. I'm not a track junkie, but I've been to GT Car Road Racing School, and the heft of the C63 (even with the precise steering response) is obvious. The C63 steering response and feel is downright excellent, and the ridiculous torque and tight suspension make the car feel nimble and responsive like it can just spring into action at the first hint of throttle and steering input. But 4,000 pounds is 4,000 pounds... and between me and the sales rep we probably added another 450lbs to the sprung weight. It's like the car is more like an athletic, but very muscular good size running back (think back to Bo Jackson). You can make quick cuts and have a great stride wide open... but you can also flat steamroll if you want to. An M3 is more like say... Reggie Bush... phenominal handling... but lightweight by comparison. You get the point... they're both great... but just so different. Plus the C63 is a true 4-door sedan.... not a 4-door version of a 2-door concept. It really comes down to what kind of car experience you want.

Overall, I liked the more dense feel... it made the car feel more substantial/solid on the highway. And it had good noise insulation.

- The C63 interior was excellent... I think the comments I've heard regarding 'cheap looking' plastic probably only applies to the center console where all the audio/climate-controls are. Everything else looked to-notch... and I love the Black/Black combination.

- The seats are awesome, BUT I confirmed that the side bolsters DO NOT adjust. They fit me perfectly and I'm 6'0 200lbs. If someone is big with a wide back I could see how this could be a issue.

- The wheels were 18" in size. I wouldn't say they looked small... but I could definitely tell they wern't 19"s. My M3 has 19" wheels and it makes a world of difference in giving it a more aggressive stance. The problem is they didn't have the 19" wheel option available for the 2008 cars, and if and when they do it will be a different style rim... which I don't like anywhere near as much as the stock 5-star design. I feel strongly they should just make a version of the 5-Star wheels in 19" size and be done with it. I'd bet very few buyers would chose the stock 18's if a 19" version was available.

I put in my order for a '09 car... September delivery... Can't wait.

-Spartacus
Old 05-17-2008, 09:09 PM

None yet
Nice review...thank you for the time you spent posting it. Wish a dealer in NC had one I could check out...
Old 05-17-2008, 09:25 PM

C63
Originally Posted by Spartacus700
Test drove an '08 C63 today in Florida.

Specs: Black/Black, Premium Package, Stock Suspension (Performance Package option not available on the 2008 cars)

Overall Impressions:

- Believe the hype on the sound of the engine note!... it just has an awesome resonance. I got to hear the engine revved-up both inside the dealership on the showroom floor, outside while parked in neutral, and on the road as passenger and driver. I just plain love it. And when the sales guy revved it inside the showroom the sound actually scared some small kids that were nearby!... their mommy had to hustle them to the other side of the showroom. I'm not ashamed to say I got a chuckle out of that... and it was perhaps at that moment that "I KNEW" I had to have me one of these.

- Acceleration... breathtaking. Saying it will plant you back in the seat is an understatement. Of course, I couldn't turn traction control off and really break the rear wheels loose on a test drive, so that fun will have to wait till later.

- Transmission... I thought the transmission shifted gears quickly enough in manual mode... not F1 lightening fast... but not slow. I did not feel this is a weakness. The throttle blip on downshifts is a "must experience"... I think this is why the gas mileage is so poor in all the automotive magazine tests. The throttle blip is addictive... I was doing it repeatedly just for the fun of hearing it... and obviously it's better when your higher in the rpm range. I have grown tired of rowing through the gears on my M3 (at least for now), so I'm looking forward to the C63.

- Given all the chatter I've heard about the ride stiffness I was expecting the suspension to be harsh. Let me state this as clearly as possible... THE RIDE IS NOT HARSH AT ALL. I thought the ride was firm like a sports car should be, but nowhere near harsh. And I had a chance to drive over speed bumps and various rough spots on the road during the test drive (I was looking for them). My current E46M3 is probably a tad stiffer... and if the new M3 is less firm than the C63 then I would say it's probably not firm enough. I was skeptical about ordering the P30 performance package (all I really want is the delimiter and the LSD, but it comes with stiffer suspension too)... but now after driving the stock car, I'm really feeling less concerned about the increased stiffness of the PP. But I still hope they make the LSD and delimiter separate options... I'd probably just pick those.

- After having driven it, I now think all the comparisons with the M3 are really kind of irrelevant to a degree, because these cars are are just so different in character. The C63 is frankly a highly refined 'muscle car'... call it a 'luxury muscle car' that has good handling as a bonus. An M3 comes from a road-racing low-torque/high-rev philosophy. I've been driving an M3 for over 4 years now as my daily driver, and I just can emphasize how much this difference in character struck me when I was driving the C63 today. I could immediately 'feel' the reason why this car can't run with an M3 on a track. I'm not a track junkie, but I've been to GT Car Road Racing School, and the heft of the C63 (even with the precise steering response) is obvious. The C63 steering response and feel is downright excellent, and the ridiculous torque and tight suspension make the car feel nimble and responsive like it can just spring into action at the first hint of throttle and steering input. But 4,000 pounds is 4,000 pounds... and between me and the sales rep we probably added another 450lbs to the sprung weight. It's like the car is more like an athletic, but very muscular good size running back (think back to Bo Jackson). You can make quick cuts and have a great stride wide open... but you can also flat steamroll if you want to. An M3 is more like say... Reggie Bush... phenominal handling... but lightweight by comparison. You get the point... they're both great... but just so different. Plus the C63 is a true 4-door sedan.... not a 4-door version of a 2-door concept. It really comes down to what kind of car experience you want.

Overall, I liked the more dense feel... it made the car feel more substantial/solid on the highway. And it had good noise insulation.

- The C63 interior was excellent... I think the comments I've heard regarding 'cheap looking' plastic probably only applies to the center console where all the audio/climate-controls are. Everything else looked to-notch... and I love the Black/Black combination.

- The seats are awesome, BUT I confirmed that the side bolsters DO NOT adjust. They fit me perfectly and I'm 6'0 200lbs. If someone is big with a wide back I could see how this could be a issue.

- The wheels were 18" in size. I wouldn't say they looked small... but I could definitely tell they wern't 19"s. My M3 has 19" wheels and it makes a world of difference in giving it a more aggressive stance. The problem is they didn't have the 19" wheel option available for the 2008 cars, and if and when they do it will be a different style rim... which I don't like anywhere near as much as the stock 5-star design. I feel strongly they should just make a version of the 5-Star wheels in 19" size and be done with it. I'd bet very few buyers would chose the stock 18's if a 19" version was available.

I put in my order for a '09 car... September delivery... Can't wait.

-Spartacus
Great evaluation Spartacus.

My DD was an E46 M3c from 03 to 07. I bought an 08 Vette as a DD knowing that I would be getting the C63. I came sooo close to getting a refund on my deposit but the rave reviews that it kept getting convinced me to wait. When my dealer told me my car was up to be spec'd I didn't have the ***** to drop my spot. I have NO REGRETS.

INTERIOR: I had the nappa leather in my E46 and it was too soft. It wore on the side bolsters very quickly and I regularly conditioned and cleaned the seats. I don't think the plastic looks that cheap and I'm not a huge fan of leather dashboards. C'mon how good can you make plastic look? I'm in love with the screen. The bluetooth is the best connection I've had in a car. The ipod connector is kinda suspect the cable is too short. I'm gonna contact my dealer to see if they can extend it so it comes out of the glove box. One nice feature is the hard drive. I've yet to copy anything to it yet but that would certainly eliminate using the iphone for music.

HANDLING: The C63 does have alot of girth compared and doesn't feel as agile the M3. I agree that I didn't find the suspension to be too stiff at all. I test drove a 335ci last fall and found myself wanting the suspension to be stiffer. I find it nimble in a planted way. The way it accelerates of the corners is incredible. I've gone into some off ramps carrying about 75 and just punched it after clipping the apex and it just pulls like there's no tomorrow.

PP Package (or absence thereof on '08's): I was kinda miffed that it wasn't available when I ordered mine but figured it wasn't gonna be a deal breaker on the 08. I've seen a few reviews where the testers said they would opt for the car without it. I don't have intention on tracking the car just driving it pretty aggresively (albiet safely) and passing at will. I also question the performance gain of having 19" wheels. I think the 18" stockers look fine. Wouldn't the 19's put down more rubber off the line but detract from the handling. I find the acceleration to be powerful enough as is.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
i sat in the car.....and adjusted the side bolsters

im pretty sure they are
Old 05-17-2008, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EuroCharged 2012 C63 BS Coupè
Thanks Spartacus for your insightful review. I too found the Bolsters adjustable. Drivers adjustment on the backside of the Right Bolster. Easiest to reach with your left hand. Not optimal placement. I am sure there is an ergonomics engineer with a sense of humor in Stuttgart that laughs every time he thinks about it.....
Old 05-17-2008, 10:12 PM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
Thanks for the great review.

-Troy
Old 05-17-2008, 10:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
Great reviews, very well put.

From my minimal time in the car test-driving, I concur, although I didn't get the chance to really toss it around. It's good to hear impressions from current M3 drivers and other enthusiasts.

I put down a deposit yesterday and will likely get the car. I've never owned a Benz; they always felt too soft. While the steering was a bit disappointing on the C63 compared to what I'm used to, the power and solidity of the car, and the overall package make up for that. I have been waiting for the V8 M3 for over 3 years now, but I think the C63 will just work better for my needs.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:35 PM

2004 BMW M3
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck
Great reviews, very well put.

From my minimal time in the car test-driving, I concur, although I didn't get the chance to really toss it around. It's good to hear impressions from current M3 drivers and other enthusiasts.

I put down a deposit yesterday and will likely get the car. I've never owned a Benz; they always felt too soft. While the steering was a bit disappointing on the C63 compared to what I'm used to, the power and solidity of the car, and the overall package make up for that. I have been waiting for the V8 M3 for over 3 years now, but I think the C63 will just work better for my needs.

Thanks for the info on the front seat side-bolsters.... when I asked about this today the sales guy told me they were not adjustable. He obviously didn't know about the manual adjustment -- Not a total surprise... it's not the first time I've gotten some mis-info from a sales rep. But I'm glad to hear that they are adjustable... it makes sense to me that they would be.

-Spartacus
Old 05-17-2008, 11:52 PM

2004 BMW M3
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck
... I have been waiting for the V8 M3 for over 3 years now...

That's funny... I was also on a waiting list for the new M3 for over 4 years (since the day I took delivery on my '04 M3). Sometimes I can't believe I've actually arrived to this point and now I'm getting a C63!?

I really didn't see the C63 coming... but the more I learned, the more I wanted one and after seeing and driving in real life, I know I'm gonna have a lot of fun with it. I'm sure before it's all said and done I'll have another M3 at some point... who knows maybe even a 911 Turbo and more. This will be my first AMG (first Mercedes actually) and I'm looking forward to it...

-Spartacus
Old 05-18-2008, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
Originally Posted by NORTH 44 C55
Thanks Spartacus for your insightful review. I too found the Bolsters adjustable. Drivers adjustment on the backside of the Right Bolster. Easiest to reach with your left hand. Not optimal placement. I am sure there is an ergonomics engineer with a sense of humor in Stuttgart that laughs every time he thinks about it.....
really...im couldve sworn it was with all the other buttons used for the seat
Old 05-18-2008, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
That's funny... I was also on a waiting list for the new M3 for over 4 years (since the day I took delivery on my '04 M3). Sometimes I can't believe I've actually arrived to this point and now I'm getting a C63!?

I really didn't see the C63 coming... but the more I learned, the more I wanted one and after seeing and driving in real life, I know I'm gonna have a lot of fun with it. I'm sure before it's all said and done I'll have another M3 at some point... who knows maybe even a 911 Turbo and more. This will be my first AMG (first Mercedes actually) and I'm looking forward to it...

-Spartacus
welcome brother, welcome
Old 05-18-2008, 03:53 AM

2009 C63
Originally Posted by Last Emperor
really...im couldve sworn it was with all the other buttons used for the seat
I test drove yesterday as well.
There are 3 buttons on the outside of of the seat on the lower right hand side (just above where the seat belt engages, or thereabouts) bottom button adjusts the bolster width!
Old 05-18-2008, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EuroCharged 2012 C63 BS Coupè
Bolster Buttons

This is a shot of the Drivers seat from the Passenger side. You can see the adjustment buttons just above the arm rest right on the outside of the bolster itself.
Attached Thumbnails C63 Test Drive Summary (From a curent E46M3 Owner)-111758.jpeg  
Old 05-18-2008, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Isn't it amazing what happens when a couple of journalists write that the suspension is too stiff for them?

Now that cars are finding their way into owners hands, I have not heard a single complaint about the ride quality nor have I heard of a single customer not taking the car after a test drive due to the ride.

I only read auto magazines now for comic relief and the pictures
Old 05-18-2008, 11:38 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time

For some odd reason, stuff like this would also make me want to buy a car.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:46 PM

But I still hope they make the LSD and delimiter separate options... I'd probably just pick those.
In Germany, the model year 2009 C63 is available with these options without ordering the PP.
The LSD and "drivers package" (186mph Limit with drivers training course) can be ordered separately.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
Originally Posted by NORTH 44 C55
This is a shot of the Drivers seat from the Passenger side. You can see the adjustment buttons just above the arm rest right on the outside of the bolster itself.
DAMN!, why cant we get the little slide that covers the cup holder in the US