C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about getting the C63 AMG, will I like this car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
350Z, S500

I am currently driving a 350Z, which is a good sports car and all however as of lately I have been getting tired of how impractical and how easy it is to bottom out in, and I also find myself desiring more power (as I have considered FI for it). That and it really gets to be uncomfortable on long drives. So since my sister recently got a new 07 cls550 and absolutely loves it, I am thinking about stepping up to a somewhat sporty german V8 to replace my Z. Now what I narrowed it down to is the E92 M3, S5, and C63 amg, and the more I research these cars the more I like the C63.

Probably the reason why is because I know how incredibly comfortable and powerful Mercedes can be from driving my dads S500 around, yet the thing that always kept me away from them has always been their lack of responsive steering and road feel. However this new C63 seems to be the first Mercedes in a long time where you can actually feel the road.

So basically what I am wondering is how comfortable these are for long california highway driving, and how much I might enjoy driving this car coming from a sporty, responsive 350Z. I am basically looking for a more practical car that isn't too large, that has 400+HP, and features sporty responsive steering.

Last edited by jj350; 05-27-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
dude im in NY where the roads are sh*t and i'm getting this car

YES!

i think its impossible not to like this car unless youre a hater
Old 05-27-2008, 06:41 PM

2001 Audi S4
First post here and I'm also thinking about getting a C63 to replace my Audi S4. I can tell you that the S5 is not really a direct competitor to a C63 or M3. The S5 is a bigger car and doesn't have the same power as the other cars. I think an RS4 is the direct competitor but I think time is running out the production of those cars since I've heard some dealers are no longer accepting orders.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
yea the 3 in this class are the M3, C63, and RS4

the C63 and M3 have the RS4 beat just about everywhere. And its a stick shift only. Lots of ppl would not consider getting a manual

as far as chosing between the M3 and C63 i guess it just comes down to personal preference

the M3 is a little bit more of a track car, it always comes in a bit ahead of the AMG because of the superior handling. Hopefully the AMG Performance Package will even that out somewhat.

anyways, i think they are different cars and its hard to compare the two.

The best way i can explain it is: the cars have 2 totally different attitudes.

The M is very calm, poised. Where as the C63 is a very wild, very aggressive car.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
also..... in the looks department

C63 > M3 by far in my opinion!

and on the interior as well

i think this C class is one of the nicest looking AMG models ever made
Old 05-27-2008, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
i was considering an S5....until i found out theyre comming out with an RS5

maybe you wanna take a look at that!
i personally LOVE IT

Old 05-27-2008, 06:54 PM

2001 Audi S4
Originally Posted by Last Emperor
also..... in the looks department

C63 > M3 by far in my opinion!

and on the interior as well

i think this C class is one of the nicest looking AMG models ever made
Especially if you consider a M3 sedan. That thing is just ugly which is why I'm not considering it. Other cars I'm considering is a Lexus IS-F, GS460 or possibly a used E55 or CLS55. I really like the CLS body but a new one is out of my price range.

As far as the RS4 being only manual trans, that's really a matter of personal preference. Some people believe a sports car with no manual trans is not a sports car. Of course, a lot of those guys barely know how to drive a manual anyway.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
Originally Posted by HIS4
Especially if you consider a M3 sedan. That thing is just ugly which is why I'm not considering it. Other cars I'm considering is a Lexus IS-F, GS460 or possibly a used E55 or CLS55. I really like the CLS body but a new one is out of my price range.

As far as the RS4 being only manual trans, that's really a matter of personal preference. Some people believe a sports car with no manual trans is not a sports car. Of course, a lot of those guys barely know how to drive a manual anyway.
i like the M3...i dont think its UGLY
but its not an AMG

a CLS55 is AWESOME!

and yea i know some ppl are into manuals...personal preference

i live in NYC....where am i going

i dont wanna be switching gears in traffic...LOL
Old 05-27-2008, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
btw.....dont go for the lexus....you'd be dissapointed if youre going from an S4 and concidering M3's and C63's
Old 05-27-2008, 06:57 PM

2001 Audi S4
i was considering an S5....until i found out theyre comming out with an RS5

maybe you wanna take a look at that!
i personally LOVE IT

That car will be over $80k easy considering the RS4 was about $75k loaded. Kind of in a difference price class compared to the other cars he looking at. With the new RS6 coming in at near $100k (and not coming to the US), I'd guess somewhere between $80k and $90k for an RS5 is not too far off.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:05 PM

2001 Audi S4
btw.....dont go for the lexus....you'd be dissapointed if youre going from an S4 and concidering M3's and C63's
The thing that attracts me to the Lexus is that its a decently fast car that comes with the reliability of a Lexus. I'm not one to squeeze every once of performance out of a car. My S4 only has a chip, suspension and aftermarket wheels on it. I didn't get crazy with the mods because I really don't have the driving style to take advantage of it. Plus, there isn't that many places in Hawaii that you can go over 80MPH and not call too much attention to yourself. There aren't too many long stretches of straight road around here.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
That car will be over $80k easy considering the RS4 was about $75k loaded. Kind of in a difference price class compared to the other cars he looking at. With the new RS6 coming in at near $100k (and not coming to the US), I'd guess somewhere between $80k and $90k for an RS5 is not too far off.
yea i didnt really look into the RS5 too much

i know a fully fully loaded s5 is 57k

thats a pretty good deal considering my C63 is 70k MSRP!!
Old 05-27-2008, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
The thing that attracts me to the Lexus is that its a decently fast car that comes with the reliability of a Lexus. I'm not one to squeeze every once of performance out of a car. My S4 only has a chip, suspension and aftermarket wheels on it. I didn't get crazy with the mods because I really don't have the driving style to take advantage of it. Plus, there isn't that many places in Hawaii that you can go over 80MPH and not call too much attention to yourself. There aren't too many long stretches of straight road around here.
most ppl who want a sports car would be happy just getting an S4

you chipped yours and tuned the suspension

safe to say youre an enthusiast!!

i have the best lexus you can get.....and in no way does the thing feel like a sports car!

there is a video floating around of the IS-F vs C63 vs M3
it gets slapped around pretty good

good first effort by lexus tho....when they "F out" theyre other models it should be nice
Old 05-27-2008, 07:29 PM

2001 Audi S4
most ppl who want a sports car would be happy just getting an S4

you chipped yours and tuned the suspension

safe to say youre an enthusiast!!

i have the best lexus you can get.....and in no way does the thing feel like a sports car!

there is a video floating around of the IS-F vs C63 vs M3
it gets slapped around pretty good

good first effort by lexus tho....when they "F out" theyre other models it should be nice
Yeah, the LS430 is far from a sports car. Its more like a cushy luxury cruiser similar to an S class or 7 series BMW.

I've seen the reviews of the IS-F and while everyone does say that it gets beat by the M3, C63 and RS4, it always seems to be a toss up depending on what the reviewer is looking for. Like you said about the M3 vs the C63, two different cars for different purposes. Each have their own character. It just depends on which one matches you the best.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:50 PM

2009 C63 K1
Is it just me or does anyone else think Audi cars are way overpriced? The RS4 is at least $5k more than the C63 or M3 and it is going away. The S5 is almost $60k and for that you can buy and chip a 335i to get 394 HP and 421 TQ and still have almost $10k left over. Also, resale value on Audi is worse than BMW, Lexus or Mercedes. What is Audi so proud of?

Last edited by yaymitch; 05-27-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
Yeah, the LS430 is far from a sports car. Its more like a cushy luxury cruiser similar to an S class or 7 series BMW.

I've seen the reviews of the IS-F and while everyone does say that it gets beat by the M3, C63 and RS4, it always seems to be a toss up depending on what the reviewer is looking for. Like you said about the M3 vs the C63, two different cars for different purposes. Each have their own character. It just depends on which one matches you the best.
you said it best man

the lease is almost up on my LS, and i was confused on what to get...lets see

we started out with looking at the S5, S6, S8, M3, M6, X5, S550, SL550, cayenne GTS, then i saw the C63.....and it clicked....thats what i wanted

when you see the car you want, you'll know

they are all AWESOME cars youre looking at .... cant go wrong with either really
Old 05-27-2008, 08:15 PM

2001 Audi S4
Originally Posted by yaymitch
Is it just me or does anyone else think Audi cars are way overpriced? The RS4 is at least $5k more than the C63 or M3 and it is going away. The S5 is almost $60k and for that you can buy and chip a 335i to get 394 HP and 421 TQ and still have almost $10k left over. Also, resale value on Audi is worse than BMW, Lexus or Mercedes. What is Audi so proud of?
The S5 is not in the same class as a 335. It is a significantly bigger car so it's not really fair to compare the price of the two. Also, comparing mods on cars are pointless. If you go through that argument you could say that a 400hp civic can be made for less than $30k and you have $20k left over compared to a 335. Not everyone is only interested in HP and drag racing. Its all about what features of each car best suit your needs.

Resale value does suck but all german car resale values are taking hit now. Mercedes is no different. Look at how cheap used C55s or E55s go for now. You should never buy a car like that if you're worried about how much money you'll lose when you sell it. Cars are not investments. You lose money the minute you drive it off the lot.

What's Audi proud of? I don't know. They do make good cars and the price comparision to similar models of Mercedes and BMWs tend to be very close if you compare similar features/options. Lexus always tends to be priced a little lower. Maybe that's the way they try to entice the market or maybe it's just because Japanese parts are cheaper. In any case, its all different strokes for different folks.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
drive a good audi and you'll see what theyre so proud of

great quality product
Old 05-27-2008, 08:25 PM

2009 C63 K1
The S5 is only bigger on the outside and heavier as well. As far as interior room there is very little difference. The only reason I even compared it to the 335i is that there is no other BMW to compare it to. On the track the stock 335i performs better and has faster times because it handles way better than the S5 and is at least $10k less. When the RS4 came out initially it was $80k which is just ridiculous especially since it is rated worse than the C63 or M3 in almost all reviews and those cars are $10k less. The S4 was the same price as the previous M3 and not even close to as good in performance. I have always liked the way Audis look and the interiors are awesome but they are consistently higher priced than comparable BMWs or Mercedes. I just do not understand it.

BTW - I have driven both the S4 and RS4. Both are great cars but I can have better cars for less money.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:41 PM

2001 Audi S4
The S5 is only bigger on the outside and heavier as well. As far as interior room there is very little difference. The only reason I even compared it to the 335i is that there is no other BMW to compare it to. On the track the stock 335i performs better and has faster times because it handles way better than the S5 and is at least $10k less. When the RS4 came out initially it was $80k which is just ridiculous especially since it is rated worse than the C63 or M3 in almost all reviews and those cars are $10k less. The S4 was the same price as the previous M3 and not even close to as good in performance. I have always liked the way Audis look and the interiors are awesome but they are consistently higher priced than comparable BMWs or Mercedes. I just do not understand it.

BTW - I have driven both the S4 and RS4. Both are great cars but I can have better cars for less money.
Seems like you only care about track performance so in that sense, yes, the BMW are more suited for that application. Audi has never been big on the track scene. They are focused more on maximizing performance while maintaining street car like comfort. The S5 is bigger and heavier than the 335 because its a bigger car. The A4 is the direct competitor to the 3 series and has similar weight and dimensions. The S5 chassis is totally different from the A4. Its longer, slightly wider, and really a totally different car from the A4 and even the current S4.

Also, BMW typically advertised a lower MSRP than Audi because they nickel and dime the crap out of you on options. Seems like even paint and leather seats are an option in a BMW which jacks up the price at least $3k. So in the end, if you compare a similarly equipped 335 to an S4 which is its direct competitor, they are very similar in price and performance (stock vs stock). Again its the little things that would push you one way or the other. AWD or street comfort would probably push you towards the S4. Ultimate handling and available mods would push you towards the BMW.

The RS4 never did change its base price. It was always $66k base and about $75k loaded. There were many dealers asking $80k with markup but that died as the car got older. IMO, between the RS4, M3 and C63, the C63 really gives you the most for your money.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:49 PM

2009 C63 K1
I do agree with you on the C63. I owned the 97 and 03 M3 and am now going to buy the C63 and can't wait to order one which will be very soon. I have always test driven and looked at Audi, BMW and Mercedes each time I evaluate a new car and I think Mercedes has the best car this time around. The M3 may be a better track car (by a very slim margin) but the C63 will be way more fun IMO.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
I do agree with you on the C63. I owned the 97 and 03 M3 and am now going to buy the C63 and can't wait to order one which will be very soon. I have always test driven and looked at Audi, BMW and Mercedes each time I evaluate a new car and I think Mercedes has the best car this time around. The M3 may be a better track car (by a very slim margin) but the C63 will be way more fun IMO.
YES

and more rare for that matter too!
Old 05-27-2008, 09:15 PM

CLK 350
yea yea yea!!!
Old 05-27-2008, 10:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL

since when did Audi become a MB or BMW competitor?

all audi models (except R8) are mediocre and boring... they have been using the same front grill for ALL their models for over 10 years... now they come up with this 'famous' LED light design... i am sure they will again put that into ALL their models for many years until it gets super super boring... that's also why i decided against a R8 as I know the LED light will eventually be on every audi ...

it surprises me when i see their recent 'new generation' A4 and A8... i was like who are they going to fool? they look exactly the same as previous models... i wonder how existing owners would ever want to upgrade to new models....

and then they are going to copy MB and BMW to launch A7 and Q5.... i think their audi sales people will have a hard time to distinguish them... it's just pointless and stupid to expand their product line to so many models when they all look similar...
Old 05-27-2008, 11:38 PM

2003 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan/2008 M3 Coupe M-DCT/1996 328i (Gone)/1988 190E 2.3 (Gone)
Originally Posted by jj350
I am currently driving a 350Z, which is a good sports car and all however as of lately I have been getting tired of how impractical and how easy it is to bottom out in, and I also find myself desiring more power (as I have considered FI for it). That and it really gets to be uncomfortable on long drives. So since my sister recently got a new 07 cls550 and absolutely loves it, I am thinking about stepping up to a somewhat sporty german V8 to replace my Z. Now what I narrowed it down to is the E92 M3, S5, and C63 amg, and the more I research these cars the more I like the C63.

Probably the reason why is because I know how incredibly comfortable and powerful Mercedes can be from driving my dads S500 around, yet the thing that always kept me away from them has always been their lack of responsive steering and road feel. However this new C63 seems to be the first Mercedes in a long time where you can actually feel the road.

So basically what I am wondering is how comfortable these are for long california highway driving, and how much I might enjoy driving this car coming from a sporty, responsive 350Z. I am basically looking for a more practical car that isn't too large, that has 400+HP, and features sporty responsive steering.
That's the same 3 choices that I was facing, couldn't find an Audi S5 anywhere (the 2 A5s that they have on their showroom floor all having some kind of a problem, eg. gas cap door doesn't close on one car, and the left door wouldn't closed properly on the other one, the driver side door mirror didn't work...). I've also attended the BMW launch event for their M3, 1-series & X6. The interior of that both their M3 coupe & sedan just didn't do anything for me. I did try, but it just didn't make me lust after one like the E36 M3 did. Somehow that C63 was just right (at least it was right in front of me). I did order a C32 before, waited a year, went to test drive it when it arrived, and came away disappointed. No this time, the engine really sounded great when the dealership in WC was kind enough to start the engine for me to listen, even though it was just sold. I can still hear it....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting the C63 AMG, will I like this car?