Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 BMW 650ci
in-depth review of the PERFORMANCE PACKAGE

some of you guys mightve seen this, but its rather new to me

it also goes into detail about the PP, so enjoy

Everything you need to know about the 2008 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG is made clear the instant you prod its 451-horsepower V8 engine to life. When the 6.2-liter beast lights off, the engine revs spike in a programmed "look at me" blip before the Merc's idle settles into a deep, throaty burble. Cue the goose bumps.

We haven't yet released the brake or slotted the shift lever into gear, and we're already trying to figure out an angle to finance one of these muscle-bound sport sedans, all $54,625 of it.

But we have to wonder if the 2008 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG — essentially a hot-rod C-Class sedan — can possibly deliver the goods in direct proportion to this testosterone-infused exhaust note. There's only one way to find out.

Inspiring Performance
The 90-degree DOHC V8 engine in question displaces 6.2 liters or 379 cubic inches. It has an 11.3:1 compression ratio and variable valve timing. It delivers its 451-hp peak at 6,800 rpm out of a possible 7,200. Torque builds from the basement to a 443 pound-feet peak at 5,000 rpm. That ought to do it.

It's bolted to a seven-speed automatic transmission with three shift modes and two shift paddles on the steering wheel. That adds up to about 12, or something. The traction and stability control systems have three settings, one of which is "Off."

Time to brake-torque this lump to the torque convertor's stall speed and drop the hammer.

The C63 lays rubber through the first three gears — two broad strips of it because our AMG has the limited-slip differential that comes with the optional AMG Performance package.

We're instantly overcome by the strong desire to write, star in and direct a film we'll call, Schutzmann und der Bandit. All we need now is a German analog to Sally Field.

But possible movie investors will want to see numbers. If we restrain ourselves and apply a more delicate touch to the throttle with the three-stage traction control in Sport mode, the tires spin less and the C63 AMG passes through 60 mph in 4.4 seconds on its way to a 12.5-second quarter-mile at 113.7 mph. That ought to keep us clear of old Schutzmann.

It Looks the Part
You won't find a fire-breathing chicken on the hood of our 2008 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG. Instead it has two thin longitudinal protuberances that actually make room for a broad, twin-chamber intake plenum, not the cylinder heads.

A less restrictive front grille allows extra cooling air to penetrate the radiator. The products of combustion and the grumble of the rollicking V8 shoot out the back through quad exhaust outlets and a unique rear valance. Words can't describe the glory that is the C63 AMG's unashamed exhaust note at full boil — or partial boil, for that matter. Or even simmer.

More visually striking are the pronounced front fender flares and broadened front bumper cover. A 1.4-inch-wider front track, revised steering geometry and meatier 235/40R18 Pirelli P Zero front tires are to blame for this. A trio of cooling slits sits just ahead of the tires. No rear fender bulges have been added, but the aft wheelwells are fully stuffed with 255/35R18 rubber.

Individually, none of the visual changes to the C63 AMG are radically different from the last C350 Sport sedan we tested. But their combined effect gives the C63 AMG a suitable dose of much-needed street presence.

Track Addict
The unique C63 AMG front suspension changes have been made to help improve steering precision and tire grip at the front. But with the stiffer sport suspension setup that comes with the optional Performance package, our C63 feels "pushy-loose" on the slalom. It understeers past the first couple of cones before small bumps that other cars barely acknowledge tend to pitch this rock-hard suspension sideways. A cone-free run at 68.6 mph takes some doing.

The C63 tends toward push on the skid pad, too, achieving 0.89g. When we try for more with a little throttle (and the stability control off), the tail slithers out and it all goes sideways in clouds of tire smoke. It'll look great on the big screen, though.

Lapping around the ultrasmooth surface of Spring Mountain Raceway in Pahrump, Nevada, the suspension comes into its own. A strategic lift of the throttle as we enter a corner gets the nose pointed toward the apex. As long as we don't overcook it, it's possible to put the throttle down early. On fast sweepers, the Merc likes to carry a sustained tail-out drift. The stopwatch doesn't say it's fast, but it sure is a riot.

You also get impressive-looking six-piston fixed calipers and two-piece "compound" front rotors (aluminum hub, floating cast-iron rotors) with the Performance package. They're drilled and slotted and ventilated, and it all results in 114-foot stops from 60 mph.

We've seen shorter stops with less flamboyant hardware, but our Merc does weigh 3,993 pounds. While we're lapping, bystanders radio in reports of brake smell, but we don't feel any fade. We back off anyway.

Hard Times
On the street, the optional AMG performance suspension that comes with the Performance package is just too bloody hard. Any sort of imperfection is transmitted in the form of a kidney punch through very aggressively bolstered front seats. There's no subtlety or compliance here.

It would be easy to say "Don't buy the AMG Performance package." After all, the standard AMG suspension worked great on a C63 we drove on the track recently, and it still has the tires, forged aluminum wheels, widened track and other chassis improvements.

But then you'd miss out on things we like about the Performance package (the suede-covered steering wheel) and things we need (the limited-slip differential.) After all, two stripes of burned rubber are always better than one. If the differential was available as a stand-alone option, the choice would be easy.

Actually, the choice is easy for early adopters, because the $3,900 AMG Performance package on our test car isn't available until summer 2008 anyway.

Call It a Production Expense
A front-row seat in a 2008 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG costs a surprisingly reasonable $54,625. The Steel Grey Metallic paint that helps toughen our test car's look costs $710 more.

Typical C-Class options are available on the C63 AMG. Ours had the same $2,950 Multimedia package that includes navigation (to help Bandit find shortcuts,) Harman Kardon premium audio, a six-disc changer, 30-gigabyte hard drive, Bluetooth and an iPod connection (to deliver the Jerry Reed tunes.)

TeleAid GPS-based emergency assistance ($650) is there if it all goes pear-shaped. Seat heaters and leather seats that go by the name of AMG napa leather upholstery cost another $2,950.

As it sits, our test car's total price is $65,785, although $3,900 of that is the previously mentioned AMG Performance package that isn't for sale initially. At press time, no word on the possibility of a gas-guzzler tax was available. The C63 AMG is rated at 12 mpg city/19 mpg highway, so it might escape the tax.

This all is starting to get expensive, but it still adds up to less than a Corvette Z06. We're not saying the C63 AMG is as fast or as nimble as a Corvette Z06; it isn't. But this four-door sedan connected with us on a visceral level like no other recent Mercedes has.

We Have a Hit on Our Hands
Like the Bandit's Firebird Trans Am, the C63 AMG is happiest charging from stoplight to stoplight and running from the law. Sinuous back roads are not its thing. While the 451-hp V8 connects with us on a gut level, so does the too-stiff optional performance suspension. Buy this upgrade only if you plan on track days.

To us, the 2008 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG is a hoot, which is what the old hot-rod guys would say. Though it lives in a German wrapper, this is classic muscle-car stuff — a big V8 engine with heaps of power and torque to generate speed, not to mention oversteer, brodies and burnouts.

We're serious about the movie. If nothing else, we'll be able to write the car off as a production expense. But Coors isn't German enough. We'll smuggle Jägermeister instead, and Hasselhoff can play the singing truck driver. It'll be a big hit. All we need is a script.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Old 06-12-2008, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
Old 06-12-2008, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
now I really dont know what to do... I did put pp on my order... but not i'm lost... do i need it or will it be just too stiff for DD?
Old 06-12-2008, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
Originally Posted by BoBcanada
now I really dont know what to do... I did put pp on my order... but not i'm lost... do i need it or will it be just too stiff for DD?
uuhmmm i think it will be stiff

BUT

the roads in Canada are much better than NY, and im gonna get the PP either way

just gotta be careful, and watch the road when you drive

it is after all a sports car, and you should expect a rough ride either way

they say the springs are only 10% harder, so i dunno how much of a diff that makes

i do know when i had the ferrari 430 in NY, it took bumps and potholes with no problem what so ever!!!

i cant imagine the benz to be a harsher ride
Old 06-12-2008, 01:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63
I don't want it. This is primarily a daily driver for me with 0% chance of seeing a track. The stiffness will only get worse as the tires begin to wear.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
Originally Posted by YellowJacket
I don't want it. This is primarily a daily driver for me with 0% chance of seeing a track. The stiffness will only get worse as the tires begin to wear.
i dont plan on tracking it either.... it will be a pure DD for me too

but someone on the forums made a good point

you get an AMG cuz its a performance car....so to get it with out the full PP package is a waste

the main thing that attracted me to it 1st, was the alcantara steering wheel
thats the main reason i wanted it

i also heard the LSD will gretaly improve handling, and the rubber wont wear as quickly

also upgraded brakes are cool

its just a good deal for 3900, if it was more, id prolly opt out
Old 06-12-2008, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 AMG Black on Black PP Package CF fully loaded
Originally Posted by Last Emperor
i dont plan on tracking it either.... it will be a pure DD for me too

but someone on the forums made a good point

you get an AMG cuz its a performance car....so to get it with out the full PP package is a waste

the main thing that attracted me to it 1st, was the alcantara steering wheel
thats the main reason i wanted it

i also heard the LSD will gretaly improve handling, and the rubber wont wear as quickly

also upgraded brakes are cool

its just a good deal for 3900, if it was more, id prolly opt out
You're absolutely right... I test drove a C63 for the first time yesterday and the ride was great, I dont expect it to be horriable over bumps w/ PP, I'm sure it will be consistant to a vette or any other coupe sports car. The test drive was a great experience, I was on business in PA and they had one sitting in the show. The salesmen asked "do you want to test drive the car?" my head did a 360 and said yesssss...lol

All I can say its a great ride w/out the PP package, with PP it cant be that bad and again consider this as a sports car, which it is. Also this car has ***** and from the power, sound and speed of it, I found myself looking for a stick to throw a gear. If the car came in a stick it would flat out be incrediable.

I've never used paddle shifters before but its something I'm sure I'll get a hang of. Without using the paddle shifter, this car shifts quickly it felt real good and solid. I was ripping around in a 35 mph speed zone so I was breaking and hitting it throughout the ride...
Old 06-12-2008, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
Originally Posted by dlbello
You're absolutely right... I test drove a C63 for the first time yesterday and the ride was great, I dont expect it to be horriable over bumps w/ PP, I'm sure it will be consistant to a vette or any other coupe sports car. The test drive was a great experience, I was on business in PA and they had one sitting in the show. The salesmen asked "do you want to test drive the car?" my head did a 360 and said yesssss...lol

All I can say its a great ride w/out the PP package, with PP it cant be that bad and again consider this as a sports car, which it is. Also this car has ***** and from the power, sound and speed of it, I found myself looking for a stick to throw a gear. If the car came in a stick it would flat out be incrediable.

I've never used paddle shifters before but its something I'm sure I'll get a hang of. Without using the paddle shifter, this car shifts quickly it felt real good and solid. I was ripping around in a 35 mph speed zone so I was breaking and hitting it throughout the ride...
only problem is the roads in PA compared to NYC

if the roads are great, the car will feel great

take in on our sh*tty roads, and u'll feel every bump

in any case.....the suede steering wheel sold me!!

BTW, ANYONE KNOW IF U CAN TELL THE DIFF BETWEEN THE REGULAR BRAKES AND THE UPGRADED PP ONES JUST BY LOOKING AT THEM??
Old 06-12-2008, 02:20 PM

2010 R8
has anyone owned a MB with the alcantara steering wheel? Friend has a 3 series BMW with alcantara and it did not hold up very well. Looked pretty nasty after 1 year. BMW replaced it once and the new one looked the same after about 10 months. He takes very good care of his car and never has any type lotion on his hands.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
i would imagine it wears out after about 1-2 years

very cool that they replaced it
maybe MB would do the same thing

when i had the C43, the top of the steering wheel was white leather

at the 2nd year, the white wore off and turned yellow

the alcantara is only on the sides, and not the whole wheel

with lots of wear and tear i assume in time it will turn blue and fade
Old 06-12-2008, 02:36 PM

2009 C63 K1
New review with and without PP - http://newcartestdrive.com/review-dr...&ReviewID=4358
Old 06-12-2008, 04:39 PM
Almost a Member!

C63
I'm just going to go on record and say, that after using my c63 as a daily driver this week, i am happy i did not wait for the PP. Only time will tell, and I hope that those of you who ordered or are ordering it are happy with it, but the suspension "without" the PP is plenty stiff enough for me, responsive, steers flat and gives a good feel of the road....unless your tracking the car, in which case, I DO see the "need" for the PP. If you plan to pair that with 19's your in for a hard ride. -Just my opinion.

I wanted the PP for pretty much just the LSD, but the other options that came with the PP dissuaded me. I didn't plan on tracking the car, so the brakes weren't a necessity. The alcantra wheel LOOKS great, but the wear in my friends BMW looked in awful in about a year (unless you wear driving gloves). The standard suspension, for my needs as a daily driver, was more than enough without the PP.

That being said, the cars performance FAR exceeded my expectations, and if you wanted to track this car, the PP would be a HUGE plus at a pretty decent price, and well worth it.

This is just my opinion, and in all fairness, we wont know until its here and drive and test it. I'm just giving my 2¢ to those on the fence. Understandably, some of you know what to expect and know what a HARD ride means, you will get this package and you will love it.

Just my 2¢
Old 06-12-2008, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
Originally Posted by etowns!
I'm just going to go on record and say, that after using my c63 as a daily driver this week, i am happy i did not wait for the PP. Only time will tell, and I hope that those of you who ordered or are ordering it are happy with it, but the suspension "without" the PP is plenty stiff enough for me, responsive, steers flat and gives a good feel of the road....unless your tracking the car, in which case, I DO see the "need" for the PP. If you plan to pair that with 19's your in for a hard ride. -Just my opinion.

I wanted the PP for pretty much just the LSD, but the other options that came with the PP dissuaded me. I didn't plan on tracking the car, so the brakes weren't a necessity. The alcantra wheel LOOKS great, but the wear in my friends BMW looked in awful in about a year (unless you wear driving gloves). The standard suspension, for my needs as a daily driver, was more than enough without the PP.

That being said, the cars performance FAR exceeded my expectations, and if you wanted to track this car, the PP would be a HUGE plus at a pretty decent price, and well worth it.

This is just my opinion, and in all fairness, we wont know until its here and drive and test it. I'm just giving my 2¢ to those on the fence. Understandably, some of you know what to expect and know what a HARD ride means, you will get this package and you will love it.

Just my 2¢

they claim it is only 10% harder

so we'll see when the first 09s with PP come in

i do however feel that a car with 451HP NEEDS a LSD
Old 06-12-2008, 06:02 PM

only problem is the roads in PA compared to NYC

if the roads are great, the car will feel great

take in on our sh*tty roads, and u'll feel every bump

in any case.....the suede steering wheel sold me!!

BTW, ANYONE KNOW IF U CAN TELL THE DIFF BETWEEN THE REGULAR BRAKES AND THE UPGRADED PP ONES JUST BY LOOKING AT THEM??
I'm guessing you haven't driven one yet... When I drove it yesterday, I was amazed on how well it rode over bumps. I was driving through hills and many bumps, some pot holes thoughout my test drive. I drove it for good solid 15 min. driving pretty fast on a winding back roads.

All I can say is, it was smooth to me over bumps, I even mentioned it to the sales person and he said himself that he was also surprised given the performance handling of the car... I;m thinking the PP will be just fine, it might feel a little tighter but nothing extreme as some people have thought it might be like. I'll give it a tumbs up for the PP package all the way...
BTW... it was a Palliaum silver I drove and the Black I had seen in CT. blew this one away in looks, I;ve now seen White, P silver and Black, just my opion,,,
Old 06-12-2008, 06:04 PM

2009 C63 K1
I'm guessing you haven't driven one yet... When I drove it yesterday, I was amazed on how well it rode over bumps. I was driving through hills and many bumps, some pot holes thoughout my test drive. I drove it for good solid 15 min. driving pretty fast on a winding back roads.

All I can say is, it was smooth to me over bumps, I even mentioned it to the sales person and he said himself that he was also surprised given the performance handling of the car... I;m thinking the PP will be just fine, it might feel a little tighter but nothing extreme as some people have thought it might be like. I'll give it a tumbs up for the PP package all the way...
BTW... it was a Palliaum silver I drove and the Black I had seen in CT. blew this one away in looks, I;ve now seen White, P silver and Black, just my opion,,,
Which color do you like best out of the three?
Old 06-12-2008, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci

ive seen the black one too, not a fan of palladium, i like the iridium tho

i still think white is #1 color

these are what I think the best colors for the c63 are

1-white
2-black
3-iridium silver
4-mars red

just my opinion
Old 06-12-2008, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
Originally Posted by yaymitch
i think he said the black blew the palladium away
Old 06-13-2008, 08:30 AM

I think NEWCARTESTDRIVE.com is full of crap... I bet he's sidding with BMW for some reason $$$, I just drove the 2008 C63 (15 mins) and the ride was very exceptional compared to the 2008 M3 (which I drove about a 7 weeks ago) I know for sure it felt very tight and bumpy, I took it for a blast on the Belt Parkway and I was Not impressed at all. I'd bet to say that the PP will be about the same as the M3 if Not better.

BTW... 8 weeks ago I had a deposit on the M3 conv but the front end low clearence kept me from buying the car, it bottomed out driving down my ramp under my bulidings garage. I also didn't know much about the C63 until I had seen the commerical while watching SNL...
Old 06-13-2008, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
I think NEWCARTESTDRIVE.com is full of crap... I bet he's sidding with BMW for some reason $$$, I just drove the 2008 C63 (15 mins) and the ride was very exceptional compared to the 2008 M3 (which I drove about a 7 weeks ago) I know for sure it felt very tight and bumpy, I took it for a blast on the Belt Parkway and I was Not impressed at all. I'd bet to say that the PP will be about the same as the M3 if Not better.

BTW... 8 weeks ago I had a deposit on the M3 conv but the front end low clearence kept me from buying the car, it bottomed out driving down my ramp under my bulidings garage. I also didn't know much about the C63 until I had seen the commerical while watching SNL...
hahaha, the belt pkwy

such a fun hwy, such ****ty roads

where did you drive the AMG??

the m3 took the roads bad youre saying?
Old 06-13-2008, 08:43 AM

I've been saying all along that Plain Black w/ black interior looks "THE BEST" on the C63. I seen it in CT. while on business and it blew me away. I was considering other colors (Only because my other is Black) but this was a" No brainer". I dont care that my other car is Black, my order is for plain black/black intr.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
I've been saying all along that Plain Black w/ black interior looks "THE BEST" on the C63. I seen it in CT. while on business and it blew me away. I was considering other colors (Only because my other is Black) but this was a" No brainer". I dont care that my other car is Black, my order is for plain black/black intr.
great choice

i opted for white

i think with those two u cant go wrong
Old 06-13-2008, 08:45 AM

ive seen the black one too, not a fan of palladium, i like the iridium tho

i still think white is #1 color

these are what I think the best colors for the c63 are

1-white
2-black
3-iridium silver
4-mars red

just my opinion
1-black
2-white
3-iridium silver
4-mars red

Old 06-13-2008, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
1-black
2-white
3-iridium silver
4-mars red

atleast we have very similar tastes

where about in NY are you?
Old 06-13-2008, 08:59 AM

hahaha, the belt pkwy

such a fun hwy, such ****ty roads

where did you drive the AMG??

the m3 took the roads bad youre saying?
Yes... the M3 was kinda rough down 4th ave around to shore rd. onto Belt east bound to the VZ. The M3 had zero ***** (I didn't feel much Torque, remeber its a 4 liter engine) compared to the C63. The C63 I drove was in PA. up and down hills w/many bumps (which I noticed along the ride) it rode very well... actaully I'd say excellent.

As i said before I'm guessing that the PP will be close to what the M3 felt like, but with the C63 with alot more torque which is where the PP will come into play, a must have for this car... my 2 sense

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: in-depth review of the PERFORMANCE PACKAGE