Sponsored by:

2nd thoughts - drove M3 DCT today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 03:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
Originally Posted by bigbodybeeenz
I've been lurking on some M3 forums and there seems to be a lot of problems with the car...
Yes! They are having problems.

I need to find a place to rant about the M3 so why not do it right here... I joined M3post in May 2005 when I put down my deposit on the new M3. During the last few months of my wait, I read more and more about people having problems with the car, especially the new M-DCT transmission.

BMW is already telling dealers there will be a software fix for M-DCT in September -- already admitting they released a flawed product to the market. M-DCT is not shifting correctly for the people who have tracked their cars. Driver pulls paddle - gets no response under hard braking OR gets 7th gear instead of 2nd. Several others report that they get a "transmission failure" warning on hot days. One guy just posted that he got that warning message when he was still in the dealer lot picking up his car. Others have reported the DCT trans causing the car to just "die" after making a turn. Yes, the car stalls as if it were a manual.

M-DCT is fun and impressive, I have driven it too. But it just seems that in real world day-to-day driving, it doesn't quite work all the time. The overly complex nature of the M3, with its adjustable suspension, steering and throttle is proving to be an issue for the car. BMW should have someone else do their electronics because the rest of the car is sensational IMO.

Sorry about the anti-M3 rant, but I am disappointed BMW couldn't get it right, right off the bat. That's why I didn't buy one, even though I waited 3 years....

If you go M3... 6MT with minimal options is the way to go IMO!
Old 07-27-2008, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe, 2015 Range Rover Sport
Originally Posted by AMG3Y3CON
I went in and looked at the 08 hard top convertable which I like and it took someone twenty minutes of me walking around to help me I mean I drove up in a supercharged range rover not a honda civic and got no help.

So I walked around outside to look at the M5 and to give these ****ty sales people another chance and walked back inside. The same old mexican guy with a **** eating grin decided to make a sarcastic comment about "we can get the keys and sign you up in 5 minutes" After he saw the look on my face that I wasn't impressed or humored at the slightest he asked if I had any questions.
I have had similar experiences in the past and this is the reason I will never buy a BMW no matter what they have to offer.