Sponsored by:

2nd thoughts - drove M3 DCT today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 K1
2nd thoughts - drove M3 DCT today

First off I have not driven the C63. I will have to wait until the one I ordered arrives to drive one. That being said, the M3 w/ DCT is absolutely incredible. I was able to get it on the highway up to 140mph so it was a good evaluation. It shifts so fast it is like there is only one gear for this car and it just keeps going. The gear shifts are almost unnoticeable and extremely smooth. When downshifting you do get a cool blip which I really like. This car handles incredibly as well. We took a corner posted at 35mph at 95 with no trouble. With the DCT the M3 is quicker from 0-60 and quicker in the 1/4 mile (see MotorTrend review). My plan is wait until my C63 is delivered and drive it and then make my decision. Other things that I am considering: M3 has no maintenance charges for 4yrs/50k mi.; interior is bigger; bigger tires on rear (will last longer and handle better). C63 looks and sounds better (was able to sit in one and start it up).

I would love to hear any feedback and/or thoughts from you guys.

Thanks-

Last edited by yaymitch; 07-26-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
the M3 is the all around better car IMHO
you get more bang for the buck
everything is free!!

can you imagine when you have to change brake pads on the AMG, or get it serviced.....we're gonna get raped

in the looks dept however.....i think the M3 does not come close!
and thats why i went with the AMG

as far as size, im 6'6'' and was interested in both the M and AMG
i couldnt take the M3 if it was given to me for free

my knees hit the dash, and it was noticably tighter for me

i tried both the coupe and sedan and they where both too tight
when i sat in the benz, it wasnt that bad at all
Old 07-26-2008, 01:56 PM

2006 BMW 330i, 2009 C63
I am not sure about you guys in the US. But in Canada, the maintenance includes the oil change and some cooling fluids. I paid $1000 to change the brakes on my 330i about two months ago.

George
Old 07-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Almost a Member!

2009 C63 AMG
Thats funny that you post this because I yesterday decided to go to the BMW dealership here in Houston and make sure I made the right decision.

I went in and looked at the 08 hard top convertable which I like and it took someone twenty minutes of me walking around to help me I mean I drove up in a supercharged range rover not a honda civic and got no help.

So I walked around outside to look at the M5 and to give these ****ty sales people another chance and walked back inside. The same old mexican guy with a **** eating grin decided to make a sarcastic comment about "we can get the keys and sign you up in 5 minutes" After he saw the look on my face that I wasn't impressed or humored at the slightest he asked if I had any questions.

After about 5 - 10 questions I felt dumber and less impressed with the car. He dropped the top and started the engine and it was no where near the amazing sounds that the AMG engines are putting out. He also didn't know what changes there were from the 08' and 09' so I pretty much made my decision right there.

I have never been so unimpressed with a vehicle and the experience in my life. Just my $ .02
Old 07-26-2008, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
As i posted in another thread, i had the opportunity to drive the M3 in April, was not impresssed, i ended up ordering the C63 without seein, driving, sitting, hearing etc, i based everything on this forum and magazines, boy was i glad you guys were right, i made the best decision on getting this car. I have zero regrets, when i see a new M3, it is very unassuming and does not impress or give me the "wow" factor. This is also the opinions of my brother and friends of mine who are big car guys, all with very impressive cars.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 AMG Black on Black PP Package CF fully loaded
Originally Posted by yaymitch
First off I have not driven the C63. I will have to wait until the one I ordered arrives to drive one. That being said, the M3 w/ DCT is absolutely incredible. I was able to get it on the highway up to 140mph so it was a good evaluation. It shifts so fast it is like there is only one gear for this car and it just keeps going. The gear shifts are almost unnoticeable and extremely smooth. When downshifting you do get a cool blip which I really like. This car handles incredibly as well. We took a corner labeled 35mph at 95 with no trouble. With the DCT the M3 is quicker from 0-60 and quicker in the 1/4 mile (see MotorTrend review). My plan is wait until my C63 is delivered and drive it and then make my decision. Other things that I am considering: M3 has no maintenance charges for 4yrs/50k mi.; interior is bigger; bigger tires on rear (will last longer and handle better). C63 looks and sounds better (was able to sit in one and start it up).

Thanks-
I've driven both and for starters the ride on a stock (non PP C63) rides and handles a hell of alot better then the M3, as far as the PP ride on the C63 it still remains to be seen ( with the C63's Pwr and Torque its a no brainer to get the PP )... I had a deposit on a 2008 M3 white Conv, and after test driving a coupe a few months ago, it was almost like a downer. I opened it up on a 3 mi run and it seemed Not to have the "Get up and Go" like the C63. I then started to realize the size of the engine and torque would be the determining factor, it has very little.... after the test run, I then tried to drive it into my garage which slopes under my building and guess what? it bottomed out MF@##$%%^

At this point I had enough and pulled my deposit... I had a stock 2008 corvette go into my garage without bottoming (cleared by a hair) that was just a test for a Z06 2008 which I know sits aprox 1/2 to 1 inch lower which means I would rip the front nose off upon entry, end of story for the Z06....

So that all being said, you can understand why many people on this forum are considering the C63 (POWER= FUN) over the M3...

Its like a roller coaster ride that does Not stop Accelerating or slow down from begining to end, TORQUE BABY....

I don't hope.... I just know this will help!!! GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 07-26-2008, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by dlbello
I've driven both and for starters the ride on a stock (non PP C63) rides and handles a hell of alot better then the M3, as far as the PP ride on the C63 it still remains to be seen ( with the C63's Pwr and Torque its a no brainer to get the PP )... I had a deposit on a 2008 M3 white Conv, and after test driving a coupe a few months ago, it was almost like a downer. I opened it up on a 3 mi run and it seemed Not to have the "Get up and Go" like the C63. I then started to realize the size of the engine and torque would be the determining factor, it has very little.... after the test run, I then tried to drive it into my garage which slopes under my building and guess what? it bottomed out MF@##$%%^
The conv. is a pig, try the saloon or coupe.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
The conv. is a pig, try the saloon or coupe.
A few months Only the coupe and saloon were available...test drove the coupe. Not impressed 10X
Old 07-26-2008, 03:11 PM

2009 C63 K1
I agree about the manual M3 not being impressive which is why I ordered the C63. The DCT is a totally different animal though and a kick to drive.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:44 PM

A
First off I have not driven the C63. I will have to wait until the one I ordered arrives to drive one. That being said, the M3 w/ DCT is absolutely incredible. I was able to get it on the highway up to 140mph so it was a good evaluation. It shifts so fast it is like there is only one gear for this car and it just keeps going. The gear shifts are almost unnoticeable and extremely smooth. When downshifting you do get a cool blip which I really like. This car handles incredibly as well. We took a corner posted at 35mph at 95 with no trouble. With the DCT the M3 is quicker from 0-60 and quicker in the 1/4 mile (see MotorTrend review). My plan is wait until my C63 is delivered and drive it and then make my decision. Other things that I am considering: M3 has no maintenance charges for 4yrs/50k mi.; interior is bigger; bigger tires on rear (will last longer and handle better). C63 looks and sounds better (was able to sit in one and start it up).

Thanks-
When did MotorTrend test drive the MDCT M3?
so whats the 0-60mph and 1/4mile number? for MDCT M3?
Old 07-26-2008, 03:48 PM

I agree about the manual M3 not being impressive which is why I ordered the C63. The DCT is a totally different animal though and a kick to drive.
I'll take your word for it... The DCT must be a kicker but my experience in driving a stick would out perform the DCT. It all comes down to HP and Torque which the M3 most differently does Not have. You can put a Nuke for trany, it will Not make it faster....

Last edited by dlbello; 07-26-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:49 PM

c63, Caterham 7, 335cic
Try this for as long as the link lasts.

Notice the gas tank is nearly a gallon short of the C63's 17.4 gallons

I'm supposed to get a drive of the M3 next week...we shall see!

My BMW guy tells me (FWIW) that BMW got all worried about MB making big inroads on the US market and switched Euro deliveries to the States to try and compete.
Compete with what? Has to be the C63 which is getting all the interest methinks!

http://motortrend.automotive.com/781...ive/index.html

Last edited by bizguy4u; 07-26-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:56 PM

A
Originally Posted by bizguy4u
Try this for as long as the link lasts.

I'm driving one on Monday and will let you know my impressions compared to my C63

http://motortrend.automotive.com/781...ive/index.html
4.1 and 12.6 right?
well, I dont think that's the fastest test result for the car.
fastest version for manual M3 is alrdy 4.1sec , so MDCT must be faster than that.
and C63's fastest version is 3.9 and 12.5.
we should wait for a faster version for MDCT M3.
i estimate it should be 3.9sec, matchs the C63

Last edited by C63///AMG; 07-26-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
Originally Posted by AMG3Y3CON
Thats funny that you post this because I yesterday decided to go to the BMW dealership here in Houston and make sure I made the right decision.

I went in and looked at the 08 hard top convertable which I like and it took someone twenty minutes of me walking around to help me I mean I drove up in a supercharged range rover not a honda civic and got no help.

So I walked around outside to look at the M5 and to give these ****ty sales people another chance and walked back inside. The same old mexican guy with a **** eating grin decided to make a sarcastic comment about "we can get the keys and sign you up in 5 minutes" After he saw the look on my face that I wasn't impressed or humored at the slightest he asked if I had any questions.

After about 5 - 10 questions I felt dumber and less impressed with the car. He dropped the top and started the engine and it was no where near the amazing sounds that the AMG engines are putting out. He also didn't know what changes there were from the 08' and 09' so I pretty much made my decision right there.

I have never been so unimpressed with a vehicle and the experience in my life. Just my $ .02
I guess the BImmer dealership u went to have no clues what *&^%$ they are selling. AMG FTW!
Old 07-26-2008, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Let me guess, it was Momentum BMW?
Old 07-26-2008, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by C63///AMG
4.1 and 12.6 right?
fastest version for manual M3 is alrdy 4.1sec , so MDCT must be faster than that.
times are great..

but its about the trap speed.. the M-DCT proves to equal the AMG in trap..

C63 will need to get on the VRP tune program.. cuz it will be hard to beat a DSG off the in or a highway pull.

I'm hoping C63 get the MB's version of DSG soon.. probably late next year MY2010..

btw: A 335 with M-DCT would be a nice little car with some potential. I believe Europe will be getting this car late this year.. but not sure if the US will be available this year. I've ready contradicting articles.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
if price are equal... and you don't get mark ups by the dealer.. I would take the M3 coupe..

but I'm sure you can get a better deal on the C63 than the on the M3, due to the hype and great reviews it has received.

If I had to get a sedan.. I would get the C63.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:36 PM

2006 BMW 330i, 2009 C63
Originally Posted by C63///AMG
4.1 and 12.6 right?
I realized one thing with the AMG crowd, they give credit where it is due. I was always a BMW guy, but what I see now is comical. If a car is faster than a BMW in a straight, they say through in a twisty, if the car is faster in the twisties, they don't fail to remind you of the heritage of BMW and that speed is nothing .
I really like the AMG now and I think I will stick with it.
George
Old 07-26-2008, 10:50 PM

2015 BMW M3 White/Black

Thanks-
Have not driven the DCT M3, but had one on order. After driving the manual, very disappointed with the power of the engine. I also read an article that panned the DCT by saying it was NOT as quick shifting as all the hype suggested. Either way, I am 4 days into my C63 and it is everything I expected and more from a performance perspective. The handling has been a very pleasant surprise, especially at above normal road speeds on the twisties.

My only disappointment has been with the inferior I-pod controls, poor navigation controls, and difficulty getting my Blackberry phone book to transfer via Bluetooth. Other than that, every thing else is phenomenal. The ride is even more compliant than I expected it to be.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
Originally Posted by TopGun32
if price are equal... and you don't get mark ups by the dealer.. I would take the M3 coupe..

but I'm sure you can get a better deal on the C63 than the on the M3, due to the hype and great reviews it has received.

If I had to get a sedan.. I would get the C63.
isnt that backwards?

i heard there are huge sales on the new m3's
Old 07-26-2008, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
Originally Posted by mcc3456
Have not driven the DCT M3, but had one on order. After driving the manual, very disappointed with the power of the engine. I also read an article that panned the DCT by saying it was NOT as quick shifting as all the hype suggested. Either way, I am 4 days into my C63 and it is everything I expected and more from a performance perspective. The handling has been a very pleasant surprise, especially at above normal road speeds on the twisties.

My only disappointment has been with the inferior I-pod controls, poor navigation controls, and difficulty getting my Blackberry phone book to transfer via Bluetooth. Other than that, every thing else is phenomenal. The ride is even more compliant than I expected it to be.
whats the problem with the ipod hook up?

you have it playing thru the speedometer or navi ?
Old 07-26-2008, 11:08 PM

2006 BMW 330i, 2009 C63
Originally Posted by Last Emperor
isnt that backwards?

i heard there are huge sales on the new m3's
Exactly, if it received great hype, they should charge as much as they want. Sorry LE that was not suppose to be a reply to your post. But the M3 sales are not doing great by any means.

George

Last edited by jarjoug; 07-27-2008 at 12:39 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:49 PM

bike

Thanks-

I'm in exactly the same situation. Waiting for my C63, which should come in about a week (Fingers Crossed lol)

I went to the local BMW dealer and drove the M3 DCT coupe. I was VERY impressed. Shifts are lightning fast, and I really didn't feel a lack of torque. The car felt amazing to me. I didn't get it up as fast as you did, but I took it through some twisties and back roads and the car felt great. Typical BMW steering feel, but better.

I also have not driven the C63, so I'm not making a decision until until I drive it.

A few things are keeping me from considering the M3. I don't like to buy a car in its first model year, and I dont want to wait for another couple months to get a DCT coupe. Also there is some confusion on when the updatd iDrive will come out. I would hate to buy and '08 M3, only to have the '09's come with the new iDrive software. I've been lurking on some M3 forums and there seems to be a lot of problems with the car...to be expected I guess in the first model year.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:24 AM

08' S550,,,C63!
BMW's I dont recommend to anyone, I have had so many bad experiances with their quality and service it is just crazy.

The New M3 is nice but it is not worth the money for the way the car is built like the dash, leather,seats, etc.

I feel the C63 is a much better for the quality and engine being offered.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:08 PM

2009 C63 K1
Originally Posted by bigbodybeeenz
A few things are keeping me from considering the M3. I don't like to buy a car in its first model year, and I dont want to wait for another couple months to get a DCT coupe. Also there is some confusion on when the updatd iDrive will come out. I would hate to buy and '08 M3, only to have the '09's come with the new iDrive software. I've been lurking on some M3 forums and there seems to be a lot of problems with the car...to be expected I guess in the first model year.
I have heard that the new iDrive will be in the 09's. I went to two dealerships yesterday and drove manual at one and DCT at the other. Both salesman said the changes on the 09 include the new iDrive and, for the sedan only, enhancements to the headlights, blinker will change from orange to clear and taillights will be all red with no white.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2nd thoughts - drove M3 DCT today