Sponsored by:

Hows The Technology Features?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Inifiniti G35
Hows The Technology Features?

I haven't had a chance to view the c63 yet, but curious how the navigation system, etc is.

I only leased my g35 at the time beause the technology was better than the bmw 335 and comparable mercedes..

Now I want more power.. A LOT MORE! but want a good interior too.

Im also consdiering the m3 convertible... but that is pretty overpriced I would say...
Old 07-31-2008, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
If you had experience with the W203 C-Class (i.e. C55 AMG) then you'll be glad to know there are huge improvements on this new, W204 C-Class, including C63 AMG. I care a lot about technology in a car, so I get where you're coming from. Some of the technology highlights:

- 40GB Hard drive (rip CDs onto the hard drive),
- MMI slot,
- iPod AUX w/inDash & steering controls (songs appear on the odometer not the NAV),
- DVD Player (plays WMA files as well),
- CD Player (plays MP3s now),
- Voice Activated Controls (works as expected at this day in age),
- Bluetooth is standard,
- Search & Send (wireless transmit directions from Google to your car),
- and the Comand (NAV) is .... better than the 1st edition iDrive's, but not the coolest looking and thus functioning console. The screen is big, the colors are 'ugh' and the resolution is class-standard.

On the downside, I don't think like BMW they've released the live traffic... don't quote me on that, but the one I was in didn't have it.

Overall, I think it's good, close to saying best in class. A lot of features were passed down from it's daddy, the S-Class, and bring it level with the TL and G35. Personally, I like it better than the G35 & TL, but I think the UI needs to be slightly improved.

Thinking about it, with all the toys in this car, you could probably have like 50,000 songs in your car! haha...

Tee_Tz.

Last edited by tee_tz; 07-31-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:04 PM

2007 Inifiniti G35
Sounds good...

I was in a 2008 bmw z4 today.. 2d navigation.. just terrible.. compared to my g35 nav, I really thought it sucked...

Atleast the iphone has gps now..

But i'm hoping the mercedes nav is comparable to what I have now and maybe even better.

THe DVD will be nice.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
Originally Posted by reelgr
Sounds good...

I was in a 2008 bmw z4 today.. 2d navigation.. just terrible.. compared to my g35 nav, I really thought it sucked...

Atleast the iphone has gps now..

But i'm hoping the mercedes nav is comparable to what I have now and maybe even better.

THe DVD will be nice.
Yeah, the Z4 still has the old style nav. But the current 3-Series has the 3D maps, looks much better and displays icons (gas stations, hotels) as well as congestion on highways and stuff.

But yeah, the C63 has 3D maps.

Tee_Tz.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63
I don't care for Nissans or Infinity's, but they have one of the best Nav systems in the industry. You're definately taking a big step down to MB, but the C63 make up for it in many other ways.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:37 PM

2007 Inifiniti G35
Originally Posted by YellowJacket
I don't care for Nissans or Infinity's, but they have one of the best Nav systems in the industry. You're definately taking a big step down to MB, but the C63 make up for it in many other ways.

agreed..

Anyone here considering the M3? I really like the hard top convertible... but the lease will be high no matter what on that.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
agreed..

Anyone here considering the M3? I really like the hard top convertible... but the lease will be high no matter what on that.
Yeah a lease price for the convertible would be high. The residuals on them aren't super. But why not a coupe, I believe you sacrifice a little performance with the convertible anyways.

Tee_Tz.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:46 PM

2007 Inifiniti G35
i've never had a convertible, and here in South Florida, could be fun for 24 months I've been holding out for a hard top vert for a while..
Old 07-31-2008, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
Don't "sell" the guy. The C63 nav is the same if not worse than the Z4 nav. I came from an MCoupe and they are almost identical in quality. Lousy line drawing, both have lousy 3d views. BMW labels their streets in odd ways (like when you're crossing through an intersection the nav may or may not show the street name because the map "author" put it two blocks up and that's not on the screen at the moment). However, Benz apparently decided you don't need to know street names unless you are zoomed in all the way.

Now when you're zoomed in all the way - the streets are still 1-2 pixel wide lines and the zoom level shows about 2 blocks high by 3 blocks wide. What use is that!?!

Bluetooth... BMW - Pair the phone, car sucked in the address book and you go. Benz - car pairs but it won't suck in phone book. You have to manually send Vcards or, wait for it, put it on a circa 1990 PCMCIA card. HUH?

Hard drive music storage... cool, we get 40GB hard drive. Nope - you get to use 4GB of that.

iPod. OMG, don't get me started... ok, you already did (partially this rant is for MB to hopefully find this thread)... the ipod "strap on" only displays in the center LCD screen and it's limited to a handful of characters and one line. Basically just as crapptastic as BMW - at least there the text went on the nav screen. Benz - nav screen just shows AUX. Fantastic.

DVD playback. Ok Benz got that - kinda nice, if you're waiting with kids in the car it will let you watch a movie.

Search & Send - you need a $600 Telenav accessory and pay almost $300 per year for the right to do that. Alternately, use the speech recog feature - it does work well.

Enough of the bad.

The good tech.

C63 motor - OMFG! It is truly a work of art. One fire up of the key and you'll ask yourself "tech? what tech?"

Driving quality - perfect balance of street performance. Tough, rigid ride, but compliant enough that you won't regret it on street use.

Seats - there are mixed reviews, I love them. And they can almost be called technology. Air bags, three backrest controls PLUS tilt. Wonderful.

Car needs: auto retracting mirrors (gone for 09), proper bluetooth software, REAL ipod, better nav software.

Minor things compared to what you get for $10-15k less than a comparable M3.

Cheers!
Old 07-31-2008, 07:19 PM

2007 Inifiniti G35
so like other cars, you cant watch DVD while the car is moving from the front dash?
Old 07-31-2008, 07:44 PM

bike
so like other cars, you cant watch DVD while the car is moving from the front dash?

You can't from the factory, but there are several threads in the regular C forums where people had their system hacked so you can watch while driving.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:25 PM

2009 C63 K1
Originally Posted by peet

Cheers!
Are you kidding? Where are you getting 10-15k less? I am looking at both M3 Sedan and C63 and they are almost identical in price. Remember the BMW comes with no maintenance for 4yr/50k miles too. Also, LSD comes standard on the M3. Any car that has 451hp/443lb-ft of torque really needs LSD and that is an additional $4k for the Merc.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63
Ironically, Ford, GM (cadillac), and Lincoln have nav technology systems that are light years ahead of "luxury" Mercedes-Benz.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
You're right, you can get a sedan, with few to no options M3 for the same price as a loaded (minus PP) 63. Good luck though, getting an 09 Sedan for the same price as an 09 63 - and forget about getting an 09 coupe for the same price as the 63. Most dealers by me have M3s loaded up at 70-74. So I guess I exhaggerated - but still $5k-10k more.

As for the LSD nonsense - I don't track my car. On the street it will have limited application. There is a great review going around - it says the merc is better on the street than the track and the M3 is a bore on the street and needs a track.

I don't live on a track - I don't imagine any of you do either! And if you go to the track once per month, that's still 343 days on the street. So save the LSD money and enjoy the car.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
Originally Posted by peet
Don't "sell" the guy. The C63 nav is the same if not worse than the Z4 nav. I came from an MCoupe and they are almost identical in quality. Lousy line drawing, both have lousy 3d views. BMW labels their streets in odd ways (like when you're crossing through an intersection the nav may or may not show the street name because the map "author" put it two blocks up and that's not on the screen at the moment). However, Benz apparently decided you don't need to know street names unless you are zoomed in all the way.

Now when you're zoomed in all the way - the streets are still 1-2 pixel wide lines and the zoom level shows about 2 blocks high by 3 blocks wide. What use is that!?!

Bluetooth... BMW - Pair the phone, car sucked in the address book and you go. Benz - car pairs but it won't suck in phone book. You have to manually send Vcards or, wait for it, put it on a circa 1990 PCMCIA card. HUH?

Hard drive music storage... cool, we get 40GB hard drive. Nope - you get to use 4GB of that.

iPod. OMG, don't get me started... ok, you already did (partially this rant is for MB to hopefully find this thread)... the ipod "strap on" only displays in the center LCD screen and it's limited to a handful of characters and one line. Basically just as crapptastic as BMW - at least there the text went on the nav screen. Benz - nav screen just shows AUX. Fantastic.

DVD playback. Ok Benz got that - kinda nice, if you're waiting with kids in the car it will let you watch a movie.

Search & Send - you need a $600 Telenav accessory and pay almost $300 per year for the right to do that. Alternately, use the speech recog feature - it does work well.

Enough of the bad.

The good tech.

C63 motor - OMFG! It is truly a work of art. One fire up of the key and you'll ask yourself "tech? what tech?"

Driving quality - perfect balance of street performance. Tough, rigid ride, but compliant enough that you won't regret it on street use.

Seats - there are mixed reviews, I love them. And they can almost be called technology. Air bags, three backrest controls PLUS tilt. Wonderful.

Car needs: auto retracting mirrors (gone for 09), proper bluetooth software, REAL ipod, better nav software.

Cheers!
So well put! I agree completely with both of your replies. I had a Z4M Coupe as well, and the C63's nav is only slightly better overall.

You buy this car for the engine, but the rest of it is still a 9 out of 10 IMO.....
Old 08-01-2008, 08:59 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 C63S
Originally Posted by YellowJacket

you're right about that....my wife just got a new EX35 and we took it to the Hampton's last weekend and the technology is much better than in my E55.....voice nav...voice calling via bluetooth.....harddrive for cd's so you just load them once and it keeps all your music....ipod connector so your playlist shows up right on the nav screen.....xm traffic displayed on the 3-d nav map page.....detours........

I'll tell you though, just like most nav systems the voice is annoying with some of the statements. I noticed when we get close to crossing any sort of parkway exit it gives me a "stay left on I95 in a quarter mile, stay left" and things like that when the road never technically changes.

Have not seen the new MB systems so not sure if they're better than my E55's or not...I would hope, 2yrs later
Old 08-01-2008, 10:49 AM

2007 Inifiniti G35
I love when my navigation voice says "Please make a legal u turn".. sounds like, please make illegal uturn...

Ahh well, decisions decisions... I have about 5 months...