Sponsored by:

C63 questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OLD: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, NEW: 2007 SLK350
C63 questions

My dealership (in Arlington) showed me a C63 that just came in, and I have the following questions:

1. The sporty seats seem very restrictive, and a little too snug for me. Does this come standard, and is it possible to get regular seats in a C63, without having to paying for an extra option?

2. The paddle shifters seem to get in the way while steering. The car handles great in Comfort, and is fun in Sport. The Sport option handles so well, that there doesn't seem to be enough reason for me to use the "Manual" option, with the paddle shifters. Does this come standard, and is it possible to get the C63 without paddle shifters?

3. In the worst case, I can always opt for a C350 Sport with all the cool options. The Alexandria dealership has some in non-AMG C-Class cars in stock, and suggested Invoice pricing below MSRP for Costco customers. I wonder if ASC in Arlington has the same Costco-related deals?

~shahedc
Old 08-02-2008, 08:51 AM

09 C63
Originally Posted by shahedC
My dealership (in Arlington) showed me a C63 that just came in, and I have the following questions:

1. The sporty seats seem very restrictive, and a little too snug for me. Does this come standard, and is it possible to get regular seats in a C63, without having to paying for an extra option?

2. The paddle shifters seem to get in the way while steering. The car handles great in Comfort, and is fun in Sport. The Sport option handles so well, that there doesn't seem to be enough reason for me to use the "Manual" option, with the paddle shifters. Does this come standard, and is it possible to get the C63 without paddle shifters?

3. In the worst case, I can always opt for a C350 Sport with all the cool options. The Alexandria dealership has some in non-AMG C-Class cars in stock, and suggested Invoice pricing below MSRP for Costco customers. I wonder if ASC in Arlington has the same Costco-related deals?

~shahedc
1. You can only get the sporty seats. There are lots of great posts on peoples opinion of them though.

2. Paddle shifters are also standard. They is no option without them.

3. Someone else will probably answer this one, no idea. But, the C350 sport is also a great car. I have driven one around Germany quite a bit and really enjoyed it. Actually... I liked it better than my E46 M3. But, I'll be waiting for my C63 with paddle shifters and snug sport seats! I can't wait!
Old 08-02-2008, 09:00 AM

Bronze Matte CLS63
Let me get this straight, 1) You don't want the paddle shifters, 2) You don't see the need to use the manual mode 3) You don't like the AMG seats

Get a C350, and open up the slot for the C63 so that a real enthusiast can enjoy it.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:45 AM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by blackstar
Let me get this straight, 1) You don't want the paddle shifters, 2) You don't see the need to use the manual mode 3) You don't like the AMG seats

Get a C350, and open up the slot for the C63 so that a real enthusiast can enjoy it.
Get a used Yugo!!
Old 08-02-2008, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by AMGBeleza
1. You can only get the sporty seats. There are lots of great posts on peoples opinion of them though.

2. Paddle shifters are also standard. They is no option without them.

3. Someone else will probably answer this one, no idea. But, the C350 sport is also a great car. I have driven one around Germany quite a bit and really enjoyed it. Actually... I liked it better than my E46 M3. But, I'll be waiting for my C63 with paddle shifters and snug sport seats! I can't wait!
Thanks for the info... !

I drove a new C350 Sport at a Mercedes event, and noticed the difference over my 2004 C230. Definitely a nice car... only negative thing I had to say was that I kept honking the horn (accidentally) when I would turn the steering wheel around a tight turn. (i.e. no real negatives with this car)

Other minor observations/quibbles with the car, compared to my 07 SLK:
* the new C-class flip-screen is nice, and can be put away even the nav/audio on... but I miss the buttons that run along the edge of my nav screen (I call them "ATM" buttons, like an ATM machine)

Originally Posted by blackstar

Yep, you got that right! (re: my choices)

But... who defines what a "real" enthusiast is? This isn't the only car I am planning for my stable, so it doesn't make me any less of an enthusiast, just because one of my cars is not a super sporty car.

I watch racing Live, I'm on the car forums... I own multiple cars, with my eye on some more cars, I've been to the track, and I also race Karts at the local racing place. I'm also working on a Benz enthusiast website.

Originally Posted by Glock Guru
Get a used Yugo!!
haha.. how about this one (see pic)
Attached Thumbnails C63 questions-4x4yugo.jpg  
Old 08-02-2008, 11:35 AM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by shahedC
Thanks for the info... !

I drove a new C350 Sport at a Mercedes event, and noticed the difference over my 2004 C230. Definitely a nice car... only negative thing I had to say was that I kept honking the horn (accidentally) when I would turn the steering wheel around a tight turn. (i.e. no real negatives with this car)

Other minor observations/quibbles with the car, compared to my 07 SLK:
* the new C-class flip-screen is nice, and can be put away even the nav/audio on... but I miss the buttons that run along the edge of my nav screen (I call them "ATM" buttons, like an ATM machine)

Yep, you got that right! (re: my choices)

But... who defines what a "real" enthusiast is? This isn't the only car I am planning for my stable, so it doesn't make me any less of an enthusiast, just because one of my cars is not a super sporty car.

I watch racing Live, I'm on the car forums... I own multiple cars, with my eye on some more cars, I've been to the track, and I also race Karts at the local racing place. I'm also working on a Benz enthusiast website.

haha.. how about this one (see pic)

No, thats a Type-R. You need a base model.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350 4Matic
I think you are better off with a C350. You might like the 63 but obviously dont appriate the car for what it is. This is not a slam at you just an observation. The C63 is built the way most people want the car, with paddle shifts.

I am trin really hard not to think you are . I can understand you might not like the shifters, or the seats. These items are not for everyone. BUT the part that really gets me is ( I honk everytime I turn the wheel ) HAHAHA.

Sorry but that is a very very novice move.

Im just curious, How long have you been driving?
Old 08-02-2008, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Honestly, for those who cannot stand the sport seats on a C63 probably should not acquire one. Those seats are a love/hate seat.

The seat will definitely be uncomfortable for anyone with a body mass index over 25, as it will be much too snug, additionally, the seat only accommodates a narrow range of heights, I'd say between mid 5 feet to low 6 feet tall persons. This may be found odd for some readers on this forum, since many will be thinking logically that Germans are tall and can be quite built, why would a car company design a car seat that doesn't accommodate their own population.

The paddle shifters are actually attached on the steering wheel instead of the steering column specifically so they don't get too much in the way. It is possible to remove the metal paddles from the steering wheel without impairing the transmission in any way. It may also be possible to install smaller shift paddles (a plastic version that's smaller should fit in the original existing hole).

The C350 and the C63 are completely different animals. Can't even begin to compare the difference. For instance:
- C350's transmission shifts much slower
- the sound of the C63 REALLY sounds like an exotic car, a mix between a Corvette and a Lamborghini with a bit of an Aston soundtrack
- The steering on the C63 is better by leaps and bounds
- the suspension on the C63 is a bit firmer and much more sports oriented than the C350s without being uncomfortable (think something akin to your SLK)
- the brakes on the C350 don't feel nearly as great as the C63's
- Power wise, both have a good amount of power, the C350's power is very linear, the C63 seems to have more power in the top end

Last edited by patrick_y; 08-02-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by 451/443=EW
I think you are better off with a C350. You might like the 63 but obviously dont appriate the car for what it is. This is not a slam at you just an observation. The C63 is built the way most people want the car, with paddle shifts.

I am trin really hard not to think you are . I can understand you might not like the shifters, or the seats. These items are not for everyone. BUT the part that really gets me is ( I honk everytime I turn the wheel ) HAHAHA.

Sorry but that is a very very novice move.

Im just curious, How long have you been driving?
I won't disagree there... the C350 seems more my cup of tea at this time... and no, I'm not ...

The honking part was probably just a fluke, at the Mercedes event, where we were allowed to drive us fast as we wanted, and turn as fast as we wanted around the curves.

ok, i didn't honk every time, it was just twice.

I posted that here before, and some others actually agreed...!
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...highlight=horn

I'm 31, and drove my first car at 14.

Originally Posted by patrick_y
Honestly, for those who cannot stand the sport seats on a C63 probably should not acquire one. Those seats are a love/hate seat.

The seat will definitely be uncomfortable for anyone with a body mass index over 25, as it will be much too snug, additionally, the seat only accommodates a narrow range of heights, I'd say between mid 5 feet to low 6 feet tall persons. This may be found odd for some readers on this forum, since many will be thinking logically that Germans are tall and can be quite built, why would a car company design a car seat that doesn't accommodate their own population.

The paddle shifters are actually attached on the steering wheel instead of the steering column specifically so they don't get too much in the way. It is possible to remove the metal paddles from the steering wheel without impairing the transmission in any way. It may also be possible to install smaller shift paddles (a plastic version that's smaller should fit in the original existing hole).

The C350 and the C63 are completely different animals. Can't even begin to compare the difference. For instance:
- C350's transmission shifts much slower
- the sound of the C63 REALLY sounds like an exotic car, a mix between a Corvette and a Lamborghini with a bit of an Aston soundtrack
- The steering on the C63 is better by leaps and bounds
- the suspension on the C63 is a bit firmer and much more sports oriented than the C350s without being uncomfortable (think something akin to your SLK)
- the brakes on the C350 don't feel nearly as great as the C63's
- Power wise, both have a good amount of power, the C350's power is very linear, the C63 seems to have more power in the top end
Good analysis.. given my current needs, I am probably better off with a C350. I am happy with my SLK for my sports car needs for now. I plan to keep the SLK for a long time, and would like a new sedan in the near future.

I am also planning to get an exotic sports car by 2009... hopefully at least a 355 or 360 if possible.

(If I get the F1, I will learn to love paddle shifters. )