C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
View Poll Results: Best color option for wheels?
OEM Finish
60.00%
Dust Grey
16.00%
Black
24.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Paint/powder wheels...black, dust grey, oem???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 12:54 AM

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GT-R
Paint/powder wheels...black, dust grey, oem???

I thought I knew exactly what I wanted to do, have my 19" V16 spoke AMG wheels powdercoated black. I took them to the powder coaters to get them done, and they talked me out of it for now. Basically they thought the paint job on them was great as is, and didn't understand why I wanted to paint them black. It got me thinking anyway, as I agree the standard finish is very nicely done, with the CNC machined face and metallic grey paint between the spokes. They also said with gloss black, there would be orange peel compared to the oem finish which is nice and smooth.

However, my car is silver and I wanted a contrasting color for the wheels. If my car was black, steel grey, palladium, etc I would leave them as is as.

Sooo, now I'm confused and need the boards help I did three photoshops of the different options I'm considering. I had to use slightly different wheels for some of the Pshops, but they are all close replicas.

I'm trying to decide between a gloss/satin/or textured black, a dust grey, or simply leaving them as is. Thanks for any suggestions!

Oh, one last thing, I'm thinking painting might be a better option over powdercoating as well? It seems you can get a better quality finish with paint, albeit maybe not as durable.

Wheel close-up

OEM Finish

Dust Grey/British Black

Black
Old 08-15-2008, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G63 AMG, SL65 AMG, CLS550, S550, Tesla Model S Performance, Challenger SRT8
The OEM matches pretty well... if you decide to get a dark window tint the black wheels might be nice.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:26 PM

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GT-R
I do have a 35% tint. However now I'm starting to lean towards leaving them as is, hmmm.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 C63 AMG, 09 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, 09 Audi A8L, 09 Ferrari California, 08 S Class
Well its up to you in the end. I was doing the same as you- went looking for a nice set of rims but the stock oem multispoke rims have definately grown on me. They do match quite well with the car + the finish on them is spot on.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G63 AMG, SL65 AMG, CLS550, S550, Tesla Model S Performance, Challenger SRT8
Originally Posted by mrwolf
Well its up to you in the end. I was doing the same as you- went looking for a nice set of rims but the stock oem multispoke rims have definately grown on me. They do match quite well with the car + the finish on them is spot on.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:48 AM

09 C63 (Coming Soon)
Powdercoat them glossy black.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 G63 AMG
white? like ur car

do it!

would look amazing with a black pinnstripe
Old 08-18-2008, 08:31 AM

08 C63 AMG, 09 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, 09 Audi A8L, 09 Ferrari California, 08 S Class
Well patience is a virtue. Take your time and have a fat look around to see what colours are available, pros and cons of paint vs powder coating (im sure you've probably already done this) and maybe look at other rims?

I'm waiting for some well done cf parts to be made available... cf rear diffuser, cf front lip and cf roof and rear spoilers (maybe the roof spoiler might be overkill?)

Once those parts are on and theres some more black bits on the car (she is palladium silver) then maybe some black rims with cf accents or just black gloss rims to complement the black cf bits on the car... or might just leave the rims as they are.

Anyway apologies for rambling on- good luck with your choice! If you decide to go with the black im sure it will look nice with the tints. Saw a normal c-class silver on black rims with tints and i must say it looked nice. The combo didnt look as drug-dealer-ish as one would think.