Performance Package

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Performance Package

I just got a 2009 C63 AMG (pictures to come soon no worries) and I keep reading on this forum about the performance package issue. I don't understand exactly what is the issue? The car handles like a king but I'd still appreciate it if someone would explain what the issue is.
Thanks
Old 08-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
issue is that the US Performance Package should have included a limited slip differential, stiffer suspension, speed limiter at 175mph and 2-piece composite floating brake rotors. Instead, the earlier Performance Packge are only equiped with the limited slip differential and increased speed limiter.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:01 PM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by e1000
issue is that the US Performance Package should have included a limited slip differential, stiffer suspension, speed limiter at 175mph and 2-piece composite floating brake rotors. Instead, the earlier Performance Packge are only equiped with the limited slip differential and increased speed limiter.
And a Leather / Alcantara AMG steering wheel as per MBUSA in a Aug. 5th letter to all U.S. dealers.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:04 AM
Almost a Member!

2009 C63 AMG
Is this for 2009 models too?
Old 08-17-2008, 11:23 AM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by hkmp5roxs
Is this for 2009 models too?
Yes, it's for all 2009's starting with September production as of the August 5th, 09 letter from MBUSA. As with most things in big business, "subject to change without notice" However, the letter says nothing about making changes or a shortage of parts to build the Performance Package.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:31 AM

2001 Ford Lightning/2003 Mustang Cobra
Yes, 2009 Models are the first models in the US that were offered the Performance Package, the 2008 Models did not have the option to get the Performance Package.

If I were you I would make sure your C63 came with Alcantra Steering Wheel,Suspension Upgrade, LSD, Raised Top Speed, and Brake Upgrade and if it did it should have been slightly discounted. Let us know, hate to see someone pay for something they did not get.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
Everyone -- remember when I said the dealers would find someone to buy the car at full list price? Well, ta da...

hkmp5... I suggest you grab your UMP (sorry mp5 is so 90's) and head down and negotiate the refund on the pieces missing - assuming they are missing. I sincerely hope and wish that you get your monies and/or components and that this is a smooth sail for you and by no means am belittling your purchase... However, we did have a lively debate on this a while back and I told people who were walking away from incomplete cars (iPP?) that their cars would get sold anyhow. I hope you didn't get taken.

welcome in any case!

P
Old 08-17-2008, 12:41 PM
QQQ

MY2001 C320
In Canada the PP deletes the speed limiter, so is it the same as the 175mph in US PP or it can go even faster?
Old 08-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Almost a Member!

2009 C63 AMG
Turns out I didn't have the performane package after all. So much for when I asked the dealer if it was fully loaded and he said "I think so". (dumbass) Oh well 451 hp gets me by anyway. :P
Old 08-17-2008, 08:27 PM

E350
Here's what I think is going on (I could be wrong!)

Originally Posted by e1000
I don't think that anyone is being charged $3,990 for the 030 AMG Performance Package and only receiving the LSD and the higher speed limiter. I work at a MB dealership in the CA Bay Area and a 2009 C63 just came in. When I looked at the window sticker, it showed only the LSD and the increased speed limiter which were itemized as individual options. There was no listing of 030 AMG Performance Package and no $3,990 charge. Instead, the LSD was priced at $1,295 and I can't remember what the cost was for the speed limiter. I kinda hit the roof, because I reluctantly ordered the 030AMG Performance Package on my upcoming C63 (Palladium, scheduled for Sept 1 build) just to get the LSD because I was told I couldn't get it as a stand-alone. I actually don't really want the stiffer suspension and couldn't care less about the higher top speed. I have since contacted the factory AMG representative to see if I can get only the LSD at $1,295 but I haven't heard back from him yet. I am speculating that early 2009 cars that were ordered with the 030 may have arrived only with the two aforementioned items due to some type of parts shortage or something similar. This would still be wrong for those who really wanted the other items (brakes, suspension, suede wheel/shift knob) on there car...However, if the 2009 car that just showed up at our dealer is a relevant case, I don't think anyone is paying $3,990 and only getting 2 of the 030 components.

COOP
Old 08-17-2008, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
Be glad then - as everyone else said, the pieces included and the rebate given were/are a joke. Unless you're tracking her, you're better off. Enjoy!
Old 08-17-2008, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 Capri Blue
If I could, I would order one with only the LSD so maybe I can find an early '09 with "PP" and negotiate paying for the LSD only.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:27 PM

E350
Yikes!! I should have read all the PP posts first!

Originally Posted by m2002evo
I don't think that anyone is being charged $3,990 for the 030 AMG Performance Package and only receiving the LSD and the higher speed limiter. I work at a MB dealership in the CA Bay Area and a 2009 C63 just came in. When I looked at the window sticker, it showed only the LSD and the increased speed limiter which were itemized as individual options. There was no listing of 030 AMG Performance Package and no $3,990 charge. Instead, the LSD was priced at $1,295 and I can't remember what the cost was for the speed limiter. I kinda hit the roof, because I reluctantly ordered the 030AMG Performance Package on my upcoming C63 (Palladium, scheduled for Sept 1 build) just to get the LSD because I was told I couldn't get it as a stand-alone. I actually don't really want the stiffer suspension and couldn't care less about the higher top speed. I have since contacted the factory AMG representative to see if I can get only the LSD at $1,295 but I haven't heard back from him yet. I am speculating that early 2009 cars that were ordered with the 030 may have arrived only with the two aforementioned items due to some type of parts shortage or something similar. This would still be wrong for those who really wanted the other items (brakes, suspension, suede wheel/shift knob) on there car...However, if the 2009 car that just showed up at our dealer is a relevant case, I don't think anyone is paying $3,990 and only getting 2 of the 030 components.

COOP
WHOOPS!! I haven't visited mbworld.org for quite some time and, after posting, I just spent 30 minutes reading all of the posts about this PP fiasco. So I guess you can disregard the genius (not!) observations of my previous post. What a mess! If I was one of the affected people, I would pay for the LSD (great deal, actually) but wouldn't even consider paying for the top speed limiter (total rip-off and displays some nerve on the part of MB USA). One other thing I do want to say, however: People who try to take advantage of the situation (like the joker who said he was going to go for a full $3,990 refund) put themselves in a really UGLY light. I've looked at this situation from all angles, and I can't fathom how someone who ordered a $3,990 package and got only 2 of the originally listed items should feel justified in asking for a $3,990 refund. I'm proud to be an American...but one really disgusting manifestion of our society's worst side are the self-righteous, litigious a**holes of the nation who spend their lives continually looking for ways to take advantage of this type of situation. These are the same people who try to get a full weekend "on the house" from a luxury hotel because they were woken up at night by a loud air conditioner. I hope that both MBUSA and the dealers will eventually do right by each and every affected customer...but lets not take the "low road" by abusively trying to "stick it to 'em." Just my opinion...

COOP
Old 08-17-2008, 10:25 PM

'09 C63 Performance Package - Steel Grey/Sahara Biege
WHOOPS!! I've looked at this situation from all angles, and I can't fathom how someone who ordered a $3,990 package and got only 2 of the originally listed items should feel justified in asking for a $3,990 refund. I'm proud to be an American...but one really disgusting manifestion of our society's worst side are the self-righteous, litigious a**holes of the nation who spend their lives continually looking for ways to take advantage of this type of situation.
COOP
I think there's a very important perspective that you are not considering. First off, the resale on an "errored" car will be difficult to explain when it's time to sell it to the next owner who inquires about this very situation "Uh, yes it actually was once of the ones that was screwed up. Uh, it's got half a performance package, does that count?" Fathom what that is worth.

Secondly, you need to keep the discount in perspective. Most dealers are sticking within a few thousand of MSRP and stand to make around 7,000 each on these cars (wholesale price with no monthly depreciation/inventory carrying cost). Asking for the full $3990 off is FULLY justifiable...remember half of the package (say $2000 worth) ISN'T EVEN THERE, so asking for a full discount really is just giving you the remaining $1990 benefit. So people that were impacted need to figure out if a mere $1990 is worth NOT getting what you wanted and ordered AND getting hit with the resale issue.

I wouldn't call this malicious at all as your post implies. I've heard of dealers offering up the full discount deal without buyers even asking. Malricious is $1250 for a data change in the ECU for the speed limiter.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:20 AM

E350
I hear what you're saying...but I don't agree.

Originally Posted by clktoc63
I think there's a very important perspective that you are not considering. First off, the resale on an "errored" car will be difficult to explain when it's time to sell it to the next owner who inquires about this very situation "Uh, yes it actually was once of the ones that was screwed up. Uh, it's got half a performance package, does that count?" Fathom what that is worth.

Secondly, you need to keep the discount in perspective. Most dealers are sticking within a few thousand of MSRP and stand to make around 7,000 each on these cars (wholesale price with no monthly depreciation/inventory carrying cost). Asking for the full $3990 off is FULLY justifiable...remember half of the package (say $2000 worth) ISN'T EVEN THERE, so asking for a full discount really is just giving you the remaining $1990 benefit. So people that were impacted need to figure out if a mere $1990 is worth NOT getting what you wanted and ordered AND getting hit with the resale issue.

I wouldn't call this malicious at all as your post implies. I've heard of dealers offering up the full discount deal without buyers even asking. Malricious is $1250 for a data change in the ECU for the speed limiter.
We can agree to disagree...

First: I don't agree that resale value of these cars will be effected at all because there is no claim or reference on the window sticker to the car having 030 AMG Performance Package. The sticker simply lists two separate items, LSD and higher top speed limit, each with a separate price. You would have a valid point if the sticker listed 030 Performance Package but the car only had the two mentioned items. Also, when you consider how much ALL of these cars depreciate (A friend of mine recently bought a flawless 2006 CL65 with 20K miles and an original MSRP of nearly $200K from a MB dealer for $66K!), it is slightly comical to talk about one C63 having a lower resale value than another.

Regarding the discount that people should be justified to ask for: One thing that I completely agree with you on is the nerve on MB USA's part in charging $1,250 for the speed limiter...that sure is outrageous and I think it's a serious error in judgement on their part. At this point, they should just throw it in gratis.

However, I still don't see why anyone would be justified to ask for the full $3,990. After all, they got the LSD (which is probably the primary reason 70%of Americans ordered the PP if I were to guess) and they got it for a very reasonable price. At the VERY LIMIT, I think maybe buyers would be justified to ask for both the LSD and the top speed limiter for free as compensation for their inconvenience. Beyond that, I just feel that asking for more is inelegant and wrong...Just take the car and ask for fair monetary recompense or don't take the car and go buy an M3 with 295 ft-lbs of torque.

Just my opinion...

COOP
Old 08-18-2008, 09:53 AM

'09 C63 Performance Package - Steel Grey/Sahara Biege
At the VERY LIMIT, I think maybe buyers would be justified to ask for both the LSD and the top speed limiter for free as compensation for their inconvenience. Beyond that, I just feel that asking for more is inelegant and wrong...Just take the car and ask for fair monetary recompense or don't take the car and go buy an M3 with 295 ft-lbs of torque.

Just my opinion...

COOP
I think we can agree to agree. The full $3990 discount is indeed the the LSD and new speed limiter for free.