C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

4th Check Engine Light within 30days!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 08:08 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
11' R8 - 11' RR Sport
4th Check Engine Light within 30days!

Ok..I got my car August 11th (Monday)...fine all week...This is how it all goes down.

1st Chk Engine Light - Sunday, August 17th - 6days after I got the car. They keep the car the entire week till Friday, August 22nd. Split Vacuum line on one of the intakes needed to be replaced.

2nd Chk Engine Light - Sunday, August 24th - 2days after they fixed it. Major Vacuum leak. Replaced the purge valves because they weren't opening. They give the car back August 29th...Another week passes.

3rd Chk Engine Light - Tuesday, Sept 2nd - the ME unit wasn't allowing any of the purge valves to work. They replaced it. Gave me the car back Wednesday Sept 3rd.

4th Chk Engine Light - Today, Friday August 5th...2 days after they replaced the ME unit.

It has been less that 30 days. 4 Times in Dealer. Sat down with the Service Manager, Head Tech/Mechanic and my sales guy. Demading to be compensated and have they make my payments on the car till they can fix it. I will give them one more chance to make it right or I get another C63. I already filed a complaint with Corporate.

Any suggestions? - This has been a very disappointing adventure into the Benz world.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by UGOTMOPPED
Ok..I got my car August 11th (Monday)...fine all week...This is how it all goes down.

1st Chk Engine Light - Sunday, August 17th - 6days after I got the car. They keep the car the entire week till Friday, August 22nd. Split Vacuum line on one of the intakes needed to be replaced.

2nd Chk Engine Light - Sunday, August 24th - 2days after they fixed it. Major Vacuum leak. Replaced the purge valves because they weren't opening. They give the car back August 29th...Another week passes.

3rd Chk Engine Light - Tuesday, Sept 2nd - the ME unit wasn't allowing any of the purge valves to work. They replaced it. Gave me the car back Wednesday Sept 3rd.

4th Chk Engine Light - Today, Friday August 5th...2 days after they replaced the ME unit.

It has been less that 30 days. 4 Times in Dealer. Sat down with the Service Manager, Head Tech/Mechanic and my sales guy. Demading to be compensated and have they make my payments on the car till they can fix it. I will give them one more chance to make it right or I get another C63. I already filed a complaint with Corporate.

Any suggestions? - This has been a very disappointing adventure into the Benz world.
I think you are handling the situation very well. They should definitely take care of your payment because you haven't been able to drive the car you are paying for!

Has the dealer treated you well thus far?
Old 09-05-2008, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 BMW X3M Comp
I'd write a letter to MBUSA seeking a replacement. They take the car and can fix it all they want then resell it while you get a new one. The alternative for MBUSA is you seek relief under the lemon law. You still get the new car and they're stuck selling a lemoned VIN at a substantial loss.

In the shop 4 x's in the first 30 days isn't a good way to start and I wouldn't deal with it
Old 09-05-2008, 10:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63
Wow, your situation keeps getting worse and worse. Sorry to hear that.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:12 AM

2008 Dodge Diesel, 2009 C63 AMG
It sounds like you got one with a problem that MBUSA doesn't have a document to direct the dealer on how to fix it. I'd honestly recommend that you bring in the lemon law documentation and just ask the GM of the dealership to take the car back and swap it for another one. They should be pleased that you are still working with them and not already filing a lawsuit. I just got through a lemon-law buyback in CA, so this is all very fresh in my mind.

The best thing you can do is maintain your cool and be very reasonable, but still be firm with them and explain that you know your consumer rights and will fully exercise the law to protect yourself from a manufacturing defect. I don't think anyone at the dealer or MB could debate that this is an unreasonable burden to put on the customer.

The options you should explore are:
- have MB fly a tech out to identify the issue and fix it (while compensating you for the payments until it is fixed)
- full car swap through the dealer and make it MBs issue
- find a lemon law lawyer to do a free review of your situation and see if they feel that your state law and situation line up for a valid complaint
- search the net for similar error codes and try to identify any other dealers who may have repaired this same problem who may be able to help you

Just my $.02
Old 09-06-2008, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08 C63 AMG
sorry to jack this thread!!!

but its happening to me also..4th time oil leak, if they change my car can i ask them to re install all the mods that i did to my car...example coilovers, painted tail lights, CF diffuser. coz i dont want to pay another labor for changing that so they can change my car.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:06 AM

11' R8 - 11' RR Sport
if you make a big enough fuss about it..i dont see why not....
Old 09-06-2008, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 C63 AMG
if you make a big enough fuss about it..i dont see why not....
I guess your right...thanks and goodluck to you and to your car.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
wow man, sorry to hear it

and the worst part it, its not like you bring the car in, and you get it back right away

they've kept it for a week at a time

so with that said, you shouldnt be paying for weeks that its at the shop

you are being super cool about it tho......start exploring getting another car already......even if they fix this one.....4 times in 1 month.....something has to be up, and it probably wasnt assembled properly at the factory....

you'll always have that thought in the back of ur mind

which dealer do you keep going to btw.....manhattan ?

i forgot ur car was a floor model, think that has anything to do with it ?

sucks man, i feel for you bro
Old 09-06-2008, 11:25 AM

11' R8 - 11' RR Sport
Dealer is White Plains, and it wasn't a floor model. It was ordered to my specs. Let's see what happen's with these fools.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
ok i got u confused then...i remember one of the forum member bought the black floor model in the manhhattan dealer****

i was having similar problems with my C43 years ago

:-(

would have thought they fixed it by then
Old 09-06-2008, 11:30 AM

11' R8 - 11' RR Sport
We'll see man. I really do love the car..and already have wheels for it.. =(
Old 09-06-2008, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 AMG Black on Black PP Package CF fully loaded
Dealer is White Plains, and it wasn't a floor model. It was ordered to my specs. Let's see what happen's with these fools.
BTW... I spoke to sales Manger (BKLYN, NY) about your problem 4 X and he said the people at White Plains, NY are very incompetent.

On a good note , My car will finish build in 4 days... Actual delivery will be as early as Oct 1st worse case Oct 10th. Also I've met with all of the service Foreman's including the service manage. Just in case any problems come about.

Good Luck!
Old 09-06-2008, 12:05 PM

11' R8 - 11' RR Sport
Argh...the head tech Roy is suppose to be one of the best in the country...he is working on the car..but we'll see..I hope this 4th time it is all good...I am already making sure they pick up the tab on the monthly payments..
Old 09-06-2008, 12:10 PM

2008 Dodge Diesel, 2009 C63 AMG
Have you thought about taking it to another dealership? He may be one of the best techs in the country, but the c63's are new cars and he may not have gotten training or enough documentation, yet.

Maybe you'll find a more talented and understated mechanic at another dealership who will do the work right the first time. I'm not saying the tech at your dealer isn't good.... but sometimes even the best can miss the obvious.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:22 PM

11' R8 - 11' RR Sport
thats true...i'll think of alternate suggestions after monday
Old 09-06-2008, 12:23 PM

Lexus IS 350 F Sport
Argh...the head tech Roy is suppose to be one of the best in the country...he is working on the car..but we'll see..I hope this 4th time it is all good...I am already making sure they pick up the tab on the monthly payments..
Im sorry to hear about the issues but i give credit where credit is due since it seems as if you've handled the situation quite well thus far Cant you put in a claim for the Lemon Law after a dealership tries to fix the same issue more than 3x's ??? Goood luck
Old 09-06-2008, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
Lemon laws vary from state to state. Don't waste your time or money consulting an attorney on this. NY Dept of consumer affairs has all the info you need at this point. NY lemon law requires at least 4 attempts to correct the same problem or the out of service for 30 cumulative days.

Its a franchise dealer so I doubt they will just exchange a car. Contact MBUSA customer assistance center and speak to someone about how to proceed. I would just write the letter seeking relief under the NY lemon law and save yourself the headache.

The only time you'll need a lawyer for this is if its a questionable lemon claim.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK500 SPORT
sorry to here this.....really hope everything works out so you can get that beast back where it belongs ......on the road
Old 09-06-2008, 06:54 PM

2009 C63 Black on Black
Unhappy Man, I feel sorry for you! So!

UGOTMOPPED: I would seriously considering Lemon Lawing the car. You probably paid in excess of $60,000 for it and should not have to put up with this. When I had my 335i (an early production car) I had 3 fuel pumps go out and also had to get the infamous "Oil Cooler" installed after overheating problems. I lived in Arizona at that time and if I remember the law said 3 times for it to qualify for the Lemon Law. I seriously thought about it but the car stopped having fuel pump problems aftet that.

I was returning from a Business trip to California and in the middle of the desert when the 1st fuel pump started to go out. Not funny

Good luck on this and follow your instincts along with what the other posters have been saying.

These CEL posts kinda make me glad that I cancelled my 09 C63 that I had on order.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe' '99' Audi A4 Avant Quattro 2.8 DD

Sorry to hear that my man, but the same thing happened to me twice. The first time they said that it was a faulty sensor. It happened again about a week later right after I put gas in. I have a habit of taking the key all the way out of the ignition every time I fill up. I called my dealer & they said just wait about 50 miles & it should go away. I parked the car & didn't even drive it. When I started it up a couple of days later, it turned off.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:02 PM

2009 C63 AMG Black on Black PP Package CF fully loaded
thats true...i'll think of alternate suggestions after monday
As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, its time to Invoke the "Lemon Law"

You shouldn't have these mechanics practice on your car. Most likely its Not there fault, the error codes might not be helping them fix the problem as you can see. Why waste more time unless they keep paying you... If its a lease, I might have them take another shot but if you straight out own it then I'd be upset....
Old 09-10-2008, 10:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
E55, GMC Suburban, F430 matchbox, Caddooo DTS
I returned a car to Chrysler through the lemon law after having the car for almost 2 years, it was great. Although the car gave me many problems, I did receive a full refund that included the sales tax after having the car for two years. Basically, if your car remains in the shop for more than 30 days and more than 3 times for the same problem you have a right to receive a new car or a refund through the lemon law. New York state lemon laws are some of teh most consumer friendly in the country.

As for the dealer paying for your car while it is down, I would not expect that. Today's cars require so much more diagnostics when the check engine light comes on than people really realize. You read on the forum about the CEL codes and there are so many people that just say do this or that or don't worry about that code. Most of the codes can be figured out with an EVAP test and most of them come from an air leak.

Good luck with your car, why don't you wait a little while before you attempt to go through the lemon law, at least long enough to upgrade to the next model year.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:50 PM

C63, LR3
that sux big time...hope everything works out for yo bro...I just took mine in for service @ Nanuet because Manhattan service is crap...I got so much **** from them when I asked for an alignment...I can say that I love the car but I am completely unsatisfied with the service so far...at least in Manhattan...we shall see...