Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 12:27 AM
MHP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by gravedgr
I forgot to mention - because I'm conservative in my mod choices based on bang/buck & reliability, most of the mods I've done have been cosmetic and/or handling (i.e. non-warranty affecting, or easy to remove/undo). My last 4 cars were 2 911s, an M3, and a MINI and only the MINI got performance mods (smaller S/C pulley, plugs/wires, CAI). Its easy enough to replace $25k car or its motor, but not a $65k AMG.
The great thing about tuning is, you can swap back to a spare control unit in minutes for warranty related issues.
I've already priced out a complete 6.2 from MB and it's hilarious what they ask for one. I can put together a superior motor (better parts, better machining/assembly/balance) for around 1/4 or less the cost. OEM pricing is crazy stuff!
Old 09-13-2008, 12:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 Capri Blue
Originally Posted by MHP
I'll give you that hardcore racers don't care about the blips, but it's crazy how many people do lol.
I would be one.

Originally Posted by MHP
FWIW, we also tune W12 Bentley's which cost several times as much as our C63s, same goes for Ford GTs, Z06s, Vipers, etc.
I kept editing my post (bad, since I know you're quick to respond), but this was what I added:
It will be my DD/kid hauler, so breaking down on the way home one night is not an option.
Really, that's the underlying concern. Sure I have my worries about warranty issues should something go wrong, but more than anything else I don't want something that is going to leave me stranded with my kids, or put them at risk. There is nothing worth that.

Originally Posted by MHP
The warranty issue is a dicey subject for many reasons. Don't get me wrong, we stand behind everything we sell regardless of make, brand, or product. However the level of coverage depends on the exact tune in question. If you come to me asking for 1000rwtq out of a sprayed TT V12, no way in hell will I cover your trans when it blows--that's simply asking too much and I will tell said customer that upfront before accepting any funds and taking on the job. However if you're talking about stock longblock tuning, you're covered. It will be a case by case basis basically.
Understood - I would just want something in writing for the base ECU/TCU updates.

Originally Posted by MHP
Finally, I think you'll find the initial GP pricing to be more than fair. I'll get those figures up next week after the results are posted.
How soon/long do you expect to offer the GB? It usually takes me a while (lots of weighing the options) to make a decision.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:44 AM

2009 C63 Capri Blue
Originally Posted by MHP
The great thing about tuning is, you can swap back to a spare control unit in minutes for warranty related issues.
I've already priced out a complete 6.2 from MB and it's hilarious what they ask for one. I can put together a superior motor (better parts, better machining/assembly/balance) for around 1/4 or less the cost. OEM pricing is crazy stuff!
Does your package include spares? If not, what was the cost for them again?

Last edited by gravedgr; 09-13-2008 at 12:48 AM.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:47 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Does you package include spares? If not, what was the cost for them again?
Pricing depends on the model, but for C63s list price on a ECU is $1400+, I get them for $1120 and pass that pricing onto our customers. Sorry they are not included.

Last edited by MHP; 09-13-2008 at 12:51 AM.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:50 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
I would be one.
LOL, not gonna lie, I like it too.

I kept editing my post (bad, since I know you're quick to respond), but this was what I added:

Really, that's the underlying concern. Sure I have my worries about warranty issues should something go wrong, but more than anything else I don't want something that is going to leave me stranded with my kids, or put them at risk. There is nothing worth that.
NP. We would never tune a vehicle to the extent that an event like that would occur. Safety, refinement, drivability, etc. are all highly valued especially when it comes to higher end tuning (MB, BMW, Bentley, etc.) We realize you still want your MB to feel like a MB post tune.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's a difference between just pushing the envelope (bad) and raising the bar safely (which is what we're doing).

Understood - I would just want something in writing for the base ECU/TCU updates.
Not a problem.

How soon/long do you expect to offer the GB? It usually takes me a while (lots of weighing the options) to make a decision.
I'll start a thread as soon as the results come in, so next week.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:58 AM

2009 C63 Capri Blue
Sounds good - I'll stay tuned. Time for a few hours of shuteye.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:01 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Sounds good - I'll stay tuned. Time for a few hours of shuteye.
I'm cashed as well. A/C colds are the worst! Have a good night.

Thanks

Andy
Old 09-13-2008, 03:36 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Edited the initial post with revised both revised list pricing and complete stage I pricing. I'm not saying it won't go up anytime soon, we'll consider it the mbworld.org GP discount for now--as in you must be a member of this site to get it.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
So how does the process work? If people are not local to you do they remove the ECU and TCU and ship them out? Or for the price do you fly out and do the tuning in person?

These power figures on the 6.2 are not what you will see on other cars for several reasons. The 6.2 left a bit on the table and other tuners have shown serious gains with just software. Add to the fact that the C63 throttle body does not open 100% under a stock tune gaining power is extremely simple. There could be some driveability issues from changing the throttle body operation but thats all things that can be adjusted. So when we get 100 hp out of a N/A car its not going to happen on other cars as well.

I will wait to see these dyno graphs and see what people think. Should be interesting.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:20 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
So how does the process work? If people are not local to you do they remove the ECU and TCU and ship them out? Or for the price do you fly out and do the tuning in person?

These power figures on the 6.2 are not what you will see on other cars for several reasons. The 6.2 left a bit on the table and other tuners have shown serious gains with just software. Add to the fact that the C63 throttle body does not open 100% under a stock tune gaining power is extremely simple. There could be some driveability issues from changing the throttle body operation but thats all things that can be adjusted. So when we get 100 hp out of a N/A car its not going to happen on other cars as well.

I will wait to see these dyno graphs and see what people think. Should be interesting.
The TB opens 100% even with a stock tune, I've already covered this. FI gains will trump N/A gains, always have.

Off to watch the game.

Thanks
Andy
Old 09-13-2008, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by MHP
The TB opens 100% even with a stock tune, I've already covered this. FI gains will trump N/A gains, always have.

Off to watch the game.

Thanks
Andy
Already watched my game but sure wish i had not... UCLA... what a day...

Like the Vegas bowl last year but way worse. hope yours went better.

So how do people get these tunes done? I am not clear if you tune the control units and ship them back or if you come out in person and do it.

I dont know ive heard from 2 very connected sources that the TB is the main way the motor is being held back.

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 09-13-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:56 AM

2008 C63
Andrew, I’ve been watching your, VRP, et al posts for sometime now. One of your posts was about creating great tunes/upgrades for reasonable money on the AMG cars.

$5200 does not seem like a bargain unless your results are significantly better then the others. Add on the cost of the spare ECU and now TCU and we're closer to 7k for warranty piece of mind and less downtime in the event of a problem. I'm awaiting the results to pass judgment and I truly hope that they are as great as you claim but this no longer appears to be the deal I for one had hoped for.

Looking forward to the results.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by ARC101
Andrew, I’ve been watching your, VRP, et al posts for sometime now. One of your posts was about creating great tunes/upgrades for reasonable money on the AMG cars.

$5200 does not seem like a bargain unless your results are significantly better then the others. Add on the cost of the spare ECU and now TCU and we're closer to 7k for warranty piece of mind and less downtime in the event of a problem. I'm awaiting the results to pass judgment and I truly hope that they are as great as you claim but this no longer appears to be the deal I for one had hoped for.

Trouble is that the factory has gotten very crafty at being able to see if these things have been changed. There are parts of ecu's that show of things have been unplugged. So with a spare unit you could be ok but there could be some other ecu that logs something that will show you tinkered with the car.

ITs more common with boosted cars since they are the ones that are failing left and right once moddedl.

7k for a tune and a spare set of ecus seems very pricey.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:23 PM

2009 C63 Capri Blue
Any update yet?
Old 09-20-2008, 01:21 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
Already watched my game but sure wish i had not... UCLA... what a day...

Like the Vegas bowl last year but way worse. hope yours went better.

So how do people get these tunes done? I am not clear if you tune the control units and ship them back or if you come out in person and do it.

I dont know ive heard from 2 very connected sources that the TB is the main way the motor is being held back.
That's correct, they remove their ECU or TCU and ship it to us, we reflash and ship it back.

Thanks
Andy
Old 09-20-2008, 01:25 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by ARC101

Unfortunately due to the nature of tuning (a very labor intensive process that can only be done by highly skilled individuals, especially the TCU side of the equation and mating the two CUs together) the cost isn't inexpensive. A lot of what we do with the ECU/TCU can't be put into words/numbers as we also modify part throttle tables (not just WOT). The car just drives so differently than when it was stock. You really have to drive it to understand. Additionally, we've found over four different ECU/TCU codes in just 09 C63s so far, every car is essentially a custom tune due to this, which doesn't help with the time/labor factor.
That being said, actual hard parts like headers/exhaust/CAIs/thermal gaskets etc will be priced below the competition no question.

Thanks
Andy
Old 09-20-2008, 01:27 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Any update yet?
I posted track results for V1 in a new thread in this forum and the 211.

Thanks
Old 09-20-2008, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W164 ML500,SMART For two,1994 C280(5speed manual) 1999 C230k station wagon
Originally Posted by MHP
That's correct, they remove their ECU or TCU and ship it to us, we reflash and ship it back.

Thanks
Andy
Do you also ship/send to military APO add.?
Old 09-20-2008, 03:23 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by AMGC60-3
Do you also ship/send to military APO add.?
All the time.

Thanks
Andy
Old 09-20-2008, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MHP
All the time.

Thanks
Andy
Thanks Andy, I will keep that in mind and it is good news that you send to military APO's.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:05 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Thanks Andy, I will keep that in mind and it is good news that you send to military APO's.
We also offer an additional discount for military personel. Thanks for your service!

Thanks
Andy
Old 09-20-2008, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MHP
We also offer an additional discount for military personel. Thanks for your service!

Thanks
Andy
Discount,discount, now your one of my best new friends!! and I love to serve my country, thank you
Old 09-20-2008, 07:18 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Discount,discount, now your one of my best new friends!! and I love to serve my country, thank you
Haha! It's the least I can do.

Thanks
Andy