Cracked Windshield

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 AMG C63
Cracked Windshield

Guys:

This morning I was passing through a construction site on the highway and a rock flew up and struck my windshield. It left a pot mark about the size of a nickel with cracks extending outward.

Is this something the dealership should look at or can I call a windshield repair company?

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Sheridan
Old 04-11-2010, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
I know its been a while since your post but wanted to ask you what you ended up doing and what went into your repairs? How much and how nice it looked. Original MB windshield?
Old 04-11-2010, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
schambers78212's last post was 10/20/08. I doubt you are going to get a reply.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
Not big deal. just make a insurance claim and have the dealer repair/exchange it for you. This is an average repair that everyone on this forum have gone through on any car, nothing special about your situation.

Last edited by C63newdude; 04-12-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mort
schambers78212's last post was 10/20/08. I doubt you are going to get a reply.
Thanks MORT. But if you read it clearly, I mentioned it has been a while since the post and just catching up. Thanks for pointing it out though.

I appreciate C63newdude's response. Just wondering how they go about it because I was looking at the A pillars that hold the windshield and it looks like they have to rip up quite a bit to do a windshield replacement...
Old 04-12-2010, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Sorry for pointing out the obvious. I did not know if you knew the guy had not posted in a long time, as well as the post being old itself as you stated. No offense intended.

If you want to use Mercedes glass, probably not a bad idea, you can get a dealer to install it or ask at a reputable glass place to see if they will order Mercedes glass for the repair. I have done both. Some cars may not have the option of aftermarket glass. Small dealers may not do a lot of glass and may actually hire a glass shop to come over and install the glass.

Ask your insurance company about their windshield replacement policy. It tends to vary a bit from insurer to insurer.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No problem Mort. Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. I don't have a crack, but I looked and there seems to be a 1 inch small scratch in the glass. Its not through. It's not a crack. I wonder if I should get it repaired and smoothed out or just leave it alone...
Old 04-12-2010, 03:27 PM

C63
Debris somehow wound up under the lower half of the wiper blades on the M6, and left a big arc on the windshield =X

I had the windshield replaced for free because of the warranty package at BMW prior to selling the car. I'm guessing you didn't buy the windshield warranty?
Old 04-12-2010, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Militia
Debris somehow wound up under the lower half of the wiper blades on the M6, and left a big arc on the windshield =X

I had the windshield replaced for free because of the warranty package at BMW prior to selling the car. I'm guessing you didn't buy the windshield warranty?
Oooooooo boy, sorry about that. I truly hate when things like that happen. It get me so infuriated. I am so sick of buying warranties. I purchased the tire and rim warranty and feel like it was a waste.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:11 PM

C63
I hear ya man. How long have you had your car? When the tires are due for a change, I'm sure you could run them over a nail or two for a free replacement?
Old 04-12-2010, 08:39 PM

C63
You should sue the construction company if they caused the breakage.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dmyrick
You should sue the construction company if they caused the breakage.
Sh*t like this happens and you have no clue when or where. You'll be driving along, enjoying music or the engine sound, or even be focusing on staying away from semi trucks and then you will park it at home, take a glance over and then suddenly realize the damage from a days driving. I have had the car since last September and nothing major has happened, a nick here and there from some bullsh*t flying rock or whatever, but overall keeping her pretty mint. I have the clearbra, and it keeps me confident, but still no matter what, your car will be hitting something.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
I used to stress about rock chips, etc., but if you drive as much as I do, about 20K/year, there's nothing you can do about it. All I do is go to the body shop once a year and have them fix all the noticeable dings.

As for the scratch in the glass, I have one too, looks like a small thread. There's some glass polish, forget where they sell it, detailed image or autogeek, that I'm going to try w/ my porter cable. Hell, just as soon as you would take it into a glass place to have your windshield replaced, you'll probably hit something on the way home..
Old 04-13-2010, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
When replacing the windshield on the current C-class, the two plastic trim pieces that run the full length of the roof line on either side of the car needs to come off. There is aluminum under these plastic pieces and when the technician pulls them off, be careful that these two pieces get treated gently because they warp easily.

Run your fingers along the full length of these two plastic pieces several times before bringing the car in for the windshield replacement so that you have a good sense of the depth there is between the roof itself and where these two pieces sit.

Another thing to be careful of is the black silicone that's applied by hand along the edge of the new windshield before it goes onto your car. At the factory, this process is done by robots, but when done by humans, it's possible that there'll be overruns that can be visible from the inside of the vehicle. That will require a skilled set of hands to trim off.

Good luck with your repairs.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
When replacing the windshield on the current C-class, the two plastic trim pieces that run the full length of the roof line on either side of the car needs to come off. There is aluminum under these plastic pieces and when the technician pulls them off, be careful that these two pieces get treated gently because they warp easily.

Run your fingers along the full length of these two plastic pieces several times before bringing the car in for the windshield replacement so that you have a good sense of the depth there is between the roof itself and where these two pieces sit.

Another thing to be careful of is the black silicone that's applied by hand along the edge of the new windshield before it goes onto your car. At the factory, this process is done by robots, but when done by humans, it's possible that there'll be overruns that can be visible from the inside of the vehicle. That will require a skilled set of hands to trim off.

Good luck with your repairs.
Wow, thank you for the excellent and helpful insight. I appreciate it. Have you had it done? Do you recommend dealer or private installer? Thanks...
Old 04-13-2010, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
Wow, thank you for the excellent and helpful insight. I appreciate it. Have you had it done? Do you recommend dealer or private installer? Thanks...
I had mine done last year. What was a rock chip on the windshield became a 12" long crack after going over some rough patches of pavement at (ahem) fairly high speeds. The dealerships here in the Greater Vancouver area don't do windshield replacements themselves; they're all sub-contracted out, so I don't really have a basis for comparison on that front. But generally, I'd prefer to have the dealership serve as the conduit for bringing about the replacement just in case anything does go wrong.

Good luck!
Old 04-13-2010, 03:13 PM

2006 E55 AMG
FWIW, I called my ins co (Erie) and there is no cost or claim for repair. If the windshield replacement is under $750 there would also be no "fault" to go with the comprehensive claim. Which means there would be no losing my good driver discount. YMMV, but I'm just gonna try a repair.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
I had mine done last year. What was a rock chip on the windshield became a 12" long crack after going over some rough patches of pavement at (ahem) fairly high speeds. The dealerships here in the Greater Vancouver area don't do windshield replacements themselves; they're all sub-contracted out, so I don't really have a basis for comparison on that front. But generally, I'd prefer to have the dealership serve as the conduit for bringing about the replacement just in case anything does go wrong.

Good luck!
SebringSilver, thank you kindly for your insight and experience...!
Old 04-13-2010, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
SebringSilver, thank you kindly for your insight and experience...!
Don't mention it. That's what a forum like this is for.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:21 AM

C55 AMG
ZephyrAMG

I would recommend the dealership also. I had my windshield replaced on my bmw 3 series recently and it cost 1k. I have the free windshield replacement thru statefarm insurance, cost like 3 or 5 dollars extra a month. My dealership wanted cash and no insurance claims so I paid for the windshield and then got reimbursed by my insurance company. I ask them first how much they covered and they said what ever it cost no limit. The dealership has to have the car overnight and they clamp the windsheild on for one day. Also got the free loaner vehicle of a new 335i so that was fun. I don't recall if mercedes has free loaner vehicles. I've used elite glass/safelite glass before and had air leaks so I would not recommend them. Hope this helps.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by the101dragons
ZephyrAMG

I would recommend the dealership also. I had my windshield replaced on my bmw 3 series recently and it cost 1k. I have the free windshield replacement thru statefarm insurance, cost like 3 or 5 dollars extra a month. My dealership wanted cash and no insurance claims so I paid for the windshield and then got reimbursed by my insurance company. I ask them first how much they covered and they said what ever it cost no limit. The dealership has to have the car overnight and they clamp the windsheild on for one day. Also got the free loaner vehicle of a new 335i so that was fun. I don't recall if mercedes has free loaner vehicles. I've used elite glass/safelite glass before and had air leaks so I would not recommend them. Hope this helps.
Thank You! Appreciate the advice. It's good to have some direction on the unknown.