C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

1st check engine...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63, LR3
1st check engine...

So as I was driving home today a message about the gas cap being loose popped up. I pulled over turned the car off and went to check the cap which I did and it wasn't loose. I got back in started the car and the message and blinking gass light were gone. As I turned onto 1st ave the loose gas cap message came on along with the engine light. I pulled into the garage turned it off checked the cap again started it again...and so on for about 15 minutes. The message isn't up but the engine light is still on. I think it takes two cycles for them to reset however, the loose gas cap message makes no sense. It sucks because I just had the car in today for them to replace the weather strip on the grill and now for the third time in two weeks it has to go back for something...anyone else have this problem???
Old 09-19-2008, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W211 E55 AMG, ML63 AMG, Past 996GT3,ZCPM3,Brabus C32,ML 500
Wow it looks like the forum is full of ****y **** wrong with theC63 from these types of things to the whole PP order prob..It is a first year car. The plus is you get to drive a rare for the time car, the minus is first year builds always fail. My C300 squeaks like crazy it drives me nuts.
Try a sneaky ECU reset and see what happens.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:36 PM
KA8

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Sucks again... another member with CEL problem with new C... Machines are bound to fail sometime but it's unacceptable for $70K car.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:00 AM

C63, LR3
yeah it does suck...I was expecting to have problems but not all in the same week...lol...we'll see...I'll call the dealer tomorrow and bring it back in...
Old 09-20-2008, 12:14 AM

'09 C63
I got the CEL after 600 miles - I was gutted. I checked the fuel cap, and it was locked in (and it feels by the design of the cap that it's either 'on and locked' or off).

I called the dealer and had it arranged to be looked at the next week. In that week I drove it about 100 more miles, and refilled the car with premium - still the light was on. Then, 2 days before it was due in - it suddenly turns itself off - v. odd.

I still took the car to the dealer - one of there chief guys insisted on looking at it there and then (after telling all the other guys that he would take a look at it personally - ...I wonder why ). He took it for a two mile 'test drive' and 'downloaded the frames' and concluded it was a loose gas-cap.

In his words 'If there is anything the wrong, the car will tell you - leverything will start flashing red'.

I've been fine for 2 weeks now - I just hope it is the '600 mile' bug where everythig settles in to place (I read a few other members say CEL came on after approx 600mls).

Good luck with it - I'm sure it is nothing - defo worth taking it to the dealer, even if it is just for piece of mind!
Old 09-20-2008, 05:59 AM

2009 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Arctic White PP
Its been a big problem. you will face the check engine light for a while. i been to the dealer like 3 time already for a check engine light. i feel that if you buy a new car you shouldnt go throught this problem. if i still face this problem i am going to turn the car back in and go with something else. you paying $80,000 for a car and really getting $20,000
Old 09-20-2008, 10:41 AM

C63, LR3
it's going back in next week so we'll see...I should make them give me a better loaner car since I spend more time in that...lol...
Old 09-23-2008, 05:36 AM
kip

E55
Originally Posted by Balz
it's going back in next week so we'll see...I should make them give me a better loaner car since I spend more time in that...lol...
The check engine light is a real pain in the a#¤ as it really doesnt pinpoint the problem. It is however less annoying than the problems in the E60 M5, which had to be towed away new. These cars are getting very technical...
Old 09-23-2008, 08:42 AM

NONE
HOW IS THE 2009 holding up it seems better? i can't see how all this money is spent and you have to bring it to the dealer so many times
Old 09-23-2008, 08:53 AM

C63, LR3
Originally Posted by kip
The check engine light is a real pain in the a#¤ as it really doesnt pinpoint the problem. It is however less annoying than the problems in the E60 M5, which had to be towed away new. These cars are getting very technical...
I heard the M5 is real fragile...which isn't a good thing for a performance car.

I just hope they get it all worked out with mine

Originally Posted by BRETT0429
HOW IS THE 2009 holding up it seems better? i can't see how all this money is spent and you have to bring it to the dealer so many times
Well it's a first year car so you have to expect some things to go wrong...it just sucks when they happen in the same few weeks...all in all the car is fantastic and I'm not sorry I bought it...but I do think they should give me an AMG loaner...lol...wishful thinking...
Old 09-23-2008, 02:10 PM

2009 Iridium Silver C63
Reliability Issues?

So has anyone NOT had a CEL, YET? After reading all the posts of different CELs, oil leaks and other "bugs" I'm starting to get the feeling that this is not a car you want to buy if you live some distance away from the nearest MB service shop. I'm signing the paperwork away from buying a 2009 and I'm starting to get second thoughts. My nearest MB dealer is quite a hike away from home and to make matters worse, I'm not buying this car from that dealer, as it didn't even have a C63 allocation. I'm worried that their "give a sh*t" factor might not be all that if I need to take it to them for repairs. I understand the C63 might be a new model but the AMG "6.3L" engine is certainly not. Anyone know if the 2007 MB models that came out with this engine are having the same issues and if so, why didn't MB/AMG address them before slapping it into the 2008+ models? Doesn't bode well for AMG's QC department in it's first attempt at engine development. I hope the W204's don't continue the mediocre reliability ratings MB has received for it previous C-Class editions. This is too "nice" of a $70K luxury sport sedan to be experiencing this type of petty problems lesser OEMs are known for. Throw in the whole Performance Package fiasco and it looks like MB might have gotten the itch to launch the C63 before it was ready because of the BMW M3.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by EROD
So has anyone NOT had a CEL, YET? After reading all the posts of different CELs, oil leaks and other "bugs" I'm starting to get the feeling that this is not a car you want to buy if you live some distance away from the nearest MB service shop. I'm signing the paperwork away from buying a 2009 and I'm starting to get second thoughts. My nearest MB dealer is quite a hike away from home and to make matters worse, I'm not buying this car from that dealer, as it didn't even have a C63 allocation. I'm worried that their "give a sh*t" factor might not be all that if I need to take it to them for repairs. I understand the C63 might be a new model but the AMG "6.3L" engine is certainly not. Anyone know if the 2007 MB models that came out with this engine are having the same issues and if so, why didn't MB/AMG address them before slapping it into the 2008+ models? Doesn't bode well for AMG's QC department in it's first attempt at engine development. I hope the W204's don't continue the mediocre reliability ratings MB has received for it previous C-Class editions. This is too "nice" of a $70K luxury sport sedan to be experiencing this type of petty problems lesser OEMs are known for. Throw in the whole Performance Package fiasco and it looks like MB might have gotten the itch to launch the C63 before it was ready because of the BMW M3.
I haven't had a check engine light yet. mine is a 2008 that I picked up from the dealership May of this year.

Do you think that the CEL could have something to do with the way that people break-in the car or do we think that MB manufacturing of this car is off?

I babied my car through the first 1000 miles and never took it past 4000 RPM and always drove it in C mode. Now, I drive it harder and in S mode and haven't had any problems. I've done multiple gas fillups as well.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:43 PM

2009 Iridium Silver C63
Originally Posted by gsrjc
I haven't had a check engine light yet. mine is a 2008 that I picked up from the dealership May of this year.

Do you think that the CEL could have something to do with the way that people break-in the car or do we think that MB manufacturing of this car is off?

I babied my car through the first 1000 miles and never took it past 4000 RPM and always drove it in C mode. Now, I drive it harder and in S mode and haven't had any problems. I've done multiple gas fillups as well.
The break-in period is designed for the transmission more so han the engine. AMG "breaks-in" all its engine before they leave the factory. All of the maintenance issues people are having are engine related so I don't think it has anything to do with the break-in period, i.e people would be reporting tranmission problems. Most of the problems seem to be electrical gremlins that MB/AMG should have caught but I'm not too concerned about those since they seem to be more of a nag than an actual problem. What DOES worry me is a $70k car that leaks fluids and has other mechanical problems that shouldn't be happening in this class of vehicles. As if resale value of these cars wasn't going to be weak to startoff with, now throw in a bad reliability stigma.....I hope I don't get a CEL queen!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:41 PM

C63, LR3
I broke mine in as directed and didn't have a problem until Friday...about 2500 miles later...so ...I have no idea
Old 09-27-2008, 08:48 AM

c63
I have the problem

my car was in the shop yesterday for the third time with the same problem. First they replaces fuel purge valves and that did not work. Now they are saying thelight is due to a falty valve next to the engine block. It is not properly insulated and because of this the check engine light is triggered. Apparantly all c63s have this problem abd they have to re-enginere this valve. That is not an acceptable answer and I still dont think that is the problem. They said I have to wait for months...I think they are trying to buy time because I already started the process of returning through the lemon law provided in my state. Let me know what you think.

Kurt
Old 09-27-2008, 01:46 PM

00 E430 05 S203 08 C63
i also got engine check light when i reached 1000km today... i took my car to the dealer to have a check... and its about the Cam sensor.... and they changed the cam sensor for me ... it took about an hour and now my car is back to normal... hopefully the light won't come up again
Old 09-28-2008, 04:24 PM

C63, LR3
Originally Posted by trukc63
my car was in the shop yesterday for the third time with the same problem. First they replaces fuel purge valves and that did not work. Now they are saying thelight is due to a falty valve next to the engine block. It is not properly insulated and because of this the check engine light is triggered. Apparantly all c63s have this problem abd they have to re-enginere this valve. That is not an acceptable answer and I still dont think that is the problem. They said I have to wait for months...I think they are trying to buy time because I already started the process of returning through the lemon law provided in my state. Let me know what you think.

Kurt
waiting months for a valave is crazy...if that's the case then proceed with the lemon law, or charge them back for not being able to drive the car, or take it to another dealer and let them look at it
Old 09-28-2008, 04:24 PM

C63, LR3
Originally Posted by radrads203
i also got engine check light when i reached 1000km today... i took my car to the dealer to have a check... and its about the Cam sensor.... and they changed the cam sensor for me ... it took about an hour and now my car is back to normal... hopefully the light won't come up again
hope so...