pcmcia - pc card and hdd

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
Originally Posted by wuyichao
if you play your mp3 files from your pcmcia card, songs titles/artists/whatever info are shown on your command screen. and you can navigate through songs by using center console buttons. Its the only advantage over using Ipod.
At least, this is what happens in my dad's S class Mercedes, not sure if its the same in our C class.
I'm playing off SD and it doesn't seem to be pulling Artist/Title/Album tags.. I just see the file names. Any ideas?
Old 07-29-2009, 11:47 AM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
Try down converting your MP3's ID3 tags to version 1.0 or 1.1 and see if this works:

1, dump MP3's into iTunes
2, right click on songs and use "get info" to fix missing information (skip if your tag is good)
3, right click on MP3 songs and use "convert ID3 Tag" command and pick version 1.0 or 1.1
4, copy or save the MP3s to your CF/SD and see will that work
5, you can use this technique for burning MP3 CDs or DVDs too

Hope this helps,
Sheep
Old 08-10-2009, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
Can anyone who has been using this update on how well this works, as well as exactly what you need for a 16gb+ setup (IE the specific products you are using)?

Is there really going to be a little card sticking out of the stereo face? Would have been much better to put this in the glove box.

Also how big is the hard drive? I have seen 40gb and 6gb...can you use the 40gb to store music or only the 6gb? Assuming the latter as that would be the motivation to do the PCMCIA/SD/CF getup in the first place.

Last edited by rory breaker; 08-10-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:12 AM

09 C63
i dont think you can get a pcmcia to compact flash that is bigger than 8 gb or at least i havent seen one.
its 6 gb for music on the hdd i think but havent been able to rip from memory card to hdd just cd to hdd.
the adapter/compact flash card fits flush with the stereo face when its in.
this is the one im using.

works great for xferring contacts from iphone to car.
I'm still trying to figure out the artist/album/track thing to organize it all on the compact flash a little better.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:27 PM

2009 Benz C63
PCMCIA - CARD

The PCMCIA slot in the C63 is ONLY 16bit. This means that it cannot support the newer big capacity SD cards that can hold up to 16 or 32 Giga bytes.
I was very excited originally that I can throw lots of music on the SD card but the 16 bit PCMCIA adaptor will only support the old small capacity SD cards. You can still use it move your outlook contacts though....

My Blackberry Bold 9000 sent over 160 contacts to the system with a breeze so I see no use of that PCMCIA slot !!!!!

A car this advanced did not need arcaic technology such as PCMCIA card slot especially an outdated 16bit one.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes
How is the guy earlier in this thread using a 32gb CF card with PCMCIA?
Old 08-11-2009, 10:01 AM

2009 Benz C63
Originally Posted by chubbs032
This is what I am thinking also, is there anyway to know if the PCMIA is SDHC compatible because I heard the idiots at SanDisk used the same part/model number for both pre/post generations?
The SDHC cards require a 32bit PCMCIA slot and card. Our C63 comes with a 16bit. Unless someone has tried to use one, I would say no the current C63 PCMCIA slot will not support a SDHC card.
If some one has used it, I would like to know so that I can use it as well
Old 08-11-2009, 10:05 AM

2009 Benz C63
Originally Posted by rory breaker
How is the guy earlier in this thread using a 32gb CF card with PCMCIA?

Read the thread carefully there is a guy complaining that a SDHC card is not recognized by the car. The reason is that C63 comes with a 16bit PCMCIA slot and a 16bit PCMCIA adaptor will not support a bigger capacity SDHC cards. As for the CF I am not sure..... I am going by what the cars owner manual says the PCMCIA slot is rated at.

I would like to know if someone has gotten a 32G SDHC card working... I would then use that over my 6Gig IPOD Mini in the dash.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes
Originally Posted by knightnox
Read the thread carefully there is a guy complaining that a SDHC card is not recognized by the car. The reason is that C63 comes with a 16bit PCMCIA slot and a 16bit PCMCIA adaptor will not support a bigger capacity SDHC cards. As for the CF I am not sure..... I am going by what the cars owner manual says the PCMCIA slot is rated at.

I would like to know if someone has gotten a 32G SDHC card working... I would then use that over my 6Gig IPOD Mini in the dash.
Gotcha. So it looks like the type of media is limited by the 16bit adapter.

Meaning if an SDHC card requires 32 bit, we cant use it. If the limit for regular SD cards is 8GB (for example) thats all we can use.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:05 PM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
As far as I know there are still some x133 or x150 non-SDHC 4 GB cards out there. I know this because I ran into the same situation a while back looking for a non-SDHC card for my PDA.

4 GB non-SDHC card
http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Flas...0006118&sr=1-4

8 GB (16 bit?) CF card
http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-133x...0006118&sr=1-7

The bottom line is that for SD cards, if it has the circular "C4" or "C6" symbol then it won't work for 16bit PCMCIA card, as those are SDHC cards.

Wiki on SDHC and CompactFlash:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CompactFlash

Hope this helps,
Sheep
Old 08-11-2009, 01:04 PM

2009 Benz C63
Originally Posted by knightnox
The PCMCIA slot in the C63 is ONLY 16bit. This means that it cannot support the newer big capacity SD cards that can hold up to 16 or 32 Giga bytes.
I was very excited originally that I can throw lots of music on the SD card but the 16 bit PCMCIA adaptor will only support the old small capacity SD cards. You can still use it move your outlook contacts though....

My Blackberry Bold 9000 sent over 160 contacts to the system with a breeze so I see no use of that PCMCIA slot !!!!!

A car this advanced did not need arcaic technology such as PCMCIA card slot especially an outdated 16bit one.
If you are wondering how to Transfer your contacts (Blackberry->MB)Follow these steps:

Step 1: Pair your car with the Blackberry Bold.
Step 2: Once connected goto your Bold; then goto manage connections.
Step 3: Then go under paired devices "MB Bluetooth". Once that is highlighted click the Button on the left of the scroll ball and you will get all the options.
Step 4: Click on the "Transfer contacts" option.
Step 5: Accept the Transfer on your Car's Navigation screen.
Step 6: You will see that the C63's system is picking up the contacts.

I transferred 160 contacts in 5 seconds while driving the car. Its very simple - I was amazed at how easy it was.

Last edited by knightnox; 08-11-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:08 PM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
I did more digging and I believe this pair will work, but I have no way of testing this.

Transcend CF Type 1 to PCMCIA adapter
http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Card...0009725&sr=8-1

Transcend x133 32 GB CF card
http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-133x...ref=pd_sim_e_9

And if you must, here are the tech manual for both:
http://www.transcendusa.com/Support/...et/0MCF2PC.pdf

http://www.transcendusa.com/Support/DLCenter/Datasheet/Datasheet%20CF133(1GB_32GB).pdf

Sheep
Old 08-11-2009, 09:51 PM

c63 AMG, BMW 335 conv
Why didnt these idiots stick a usb port in there (like bmw) and get rid of this outdated pcmcia crap?
Old 08-11-2009, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Isn't there a new UMI thing for non-COMANDs? I don't see how they give that as an add-on option to people who didn't opt to get COMAND in the first place, while we're left with nothing. Those of us who spent a little more are assed out. I think the UMI has usb features, among other things.

If i'm wrong, please let me know.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:14 AM
Mat

S550V4 - 2009 Black on Black Loaded ! 06-M5-Silver/black ! 08-LX570 (Silver - Best SUV ever !)
Because these guys are truly "idiots" ! I am so sick and tired of trying to get the SD card to work with the damn PCMCIA interface. Finally here's where I ended. Spent over $100 trying to get the right combo. The MP3s play sometime and the same card gives an error message "AudioVideo Format Unknown" the next time (depending upon its mood I guess).
What I have noted is, to avoid the reading error. Power-on the audio before you start the car - This has worked for me more than 50% of the times - Good luck friends !
Old 08-12-2009, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Mat
Because these guys are truly "idiots" ! I am so sick and tired of trying to get the SD card to work with the damn PCMCIA interface. Finally here's where I ended. Spent over $100 trying to get the right combo. The MP3s play sometime and the same card gives an error message "AudioVideo Format Unknown" the next time (depending upon its mood I guess).
What I have noted is, to avoid the reading error. Power-on the audio before you start the car - This has worked for me more than 50% of the times - Good luck friends !
FYI - I was able to copy my iTunes .mp3 music onto a DVD-RW and then insert into my C63's CD/DVD player...it recognized everything (artists, song names, lengths, etc.), and I basically have >500 songs onto 1 DVD which the C63 recognizes all info and plays everything without an issue. So, for those having issues with the PCMCIA card in terms of playing your .mp3 music collection (at least up to 4.7GB worth on the DVD-RW's capacity), you should all be able to do this.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Mat

S550V4 - 2009 Black on Black Loaded ! 06-M5-Silver/black ! 08-LX570 (Silver - Best SUV ever !)
I understand and that's besides the point - remember when it comes to convenience: its takes much longer to re-write a DVD-RW - and they sold us the "convenience" of being able to use the SD card !
why settle for less !
Old 08-12-2009, 02:39 PM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
Originally Posted by sflgator
FYI - I was able to copy my iTunes .mp3 music onto a DVD-RW and then insert into my C63's CD/DVD player...it recognized everything (artists, song names, lengths, etc.), and I basically have >500 songs onto 1 DVD which the C63 recognizes all info and plays everything without an issue. So, for those having issues with the PCMCIA card in terms of playing your .mp3 music collection (at least up to 4.7GB worth on the DVD-RW's capacity), you should all be able to do this.
I agree, unless you have massive amount of m4p that you can't decrypt back to m4a / mp3 from iTunes, burning mp3 DVD-R/RWs makes the most sense. You may have to down convert your mp3 ID3 tags back to v1.0 or v1.1 like I said before but that's about it.

Sheep
Old 08-12-2009, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Sheep
I agree, unless you have massive amount of m4p that you can't decrypt back to m4a / mp3 from iTunes, burning mp3 DVD-R/RWs makes the most sense. You may have to down convert your mp3 ID3 tags back to v1.0 or v1.1 like I said before but that's about it.

Sheep
I would still rather be able to download all these .mp3 songs from the DVD-RW to the MusicNote Music Register HDD, but I haven't found a way to do that yet.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:28 PM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
I think this trend might help...

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/sh...d.php?p=241970

From oldcro on the trend:

"I had the same problem, and have now managed to sort out how to do it.

I tried iTunes but could not get it to work, so tried Windows Media Player, and that works.

Windows Media Player.

1. Create a playlist of all the albums you want to use (I selected about 2.9GB of tunes).
2.Click burn and select data CD or DVD. Then select more options. I selected medium speed and for format M3U, then ticked 'do not convert'.
3. Insert a writable DVD and wait for it to be recognised, might need to delete the pop-up notice.
4. Once recognised click the 'burn disk' in the bottom lefthand corner and wait until all files are written and disk finalised.
5. Thats the disk ready to install in the car.

Mercedes 320CDI W204

1.Load disk in any vacant slot.
2. Select changer.
3. Select music register.
4. Select music register again in the new window.
5. Select copy files, options will be all music or any of the albums listed.
6. Select continue.
7. Select start.
8. Wait patiently for tunes to transfer ( my 2.9GB took an hour to finish transferring).
10. That's it, hope this is of use to someone. Any questions please PM me or reply to forum. "

Hope it helps,
Sheep
Old 08-12-2009, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Sheep
I think this trend might help...

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/sh...d.php?p=241970

From oldcro on the trend:

"I had the same problem, and have now managed to sort out how to do it.

I tried iTunes but could not get it to work, so tried Windows Media Player, and that works.

Windows Media Player.

1. Create a playlist of all the albums you want to use (I selected about 2.9GB of tunes).
2.Click burn and select data CD or DVD. Then select more options. I selected medium speed and for format M3U, then ticked 'do not convert'.
3. Insert a writable DVD and wait for it to be recognised, might need to delete the pop-up notice.
4. Once recognised click the 'burn disk' in the bottom lefthand corner and wait until all files are written and disk finalised.
5. Thats the disk ready to install in the car.

Mercedes 320CDI W204

1.Load disk in any vacant slot.
2. Select changer.
3. Select music register.
4. Select music register again in the new window.
5. Select copy files, options will be all music or any of the albums listed.
6. Select continue.
7. Select start.
8. Wait patiently for tunes to transfer ( my 2.9GB took an hour to finish transferring).
10. That's it, hope this is of use to someone. Any questions please PM me or reply to forum. "

Hope it helps,
Sheep
Tried it, but no luck...can't get the options to copy music from (audio) DVD. The manual says it can only be done via audio CD???? So, when I go to Music Register once and again, everything is grayed out except for HDD Info (which indicates no files and 100% of 6GB HDD is available).
Old 08-12-2009, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML550, RS5
I just got my C63 and wanted my full music collection on a card. I bought a Sandisk PCMCIA card and a Sandisk 32GB SDHC card and it works fine. I think I reached a file/folder limit though and have been triming down to find the max, but no issues other than that.

Not sure if links to vendors are allowed, but here's what I bought:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product
Old 08-12-2009, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Dr99
I just got my C63 and wanted my full music collection on a card. I bought a Sandisk PCMCIA card and a Sandisk 32GB SDHC card and it works fine. I think I reached a file/folder limit though and have been triming down to find the max, but no issues other than that.

Not sure if links to vendors are allowed, but here's what I bought:
For an extra $160 for those two items...MB should PAY ME $160 since they should've done this right in the first place...this PCMCIA and CD-audio (download to GraceNote Music Register HDD) only is B.S.! I guess I'll just stick with my music collection on the DVD-RW that's in the disc slot.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
Originally Posted by sflgator
For an extra $160 for those two items...MB should PAY ME $160 since they should've done this right in the first place...this PCMCIA and CD-audio (download to GraceNote Music Register HDD) only is B.S.! I guess I'll just stick with my music collection on the DVD-RW that's in the disc slot.
My player doesnt always read my DVD-R....I have to keep ejecting, and hope I dont get the disc is unreadable. Stupid system and the ipod quality is chit.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by chubbs032
My player doesnt always read my DVD-R....I have to keep ejecting, and hope I dont get the disc is unreadable. Stupid system and the ipod quality is chit.
I copied my iTunes collection (only about 500 songs) onto a basic 4.7GB DVD-RW and my C63's system recognizes it and all the songs without any issues; I just can't download them to the car's HDD. You should try redoing it onto a DVD-RW.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: pcmcia - pc card and hdd