C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

pcmcia - pc card and hdd

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e550 4m
pcmcia - pc card and hdd

Okay, i did a search and read a bit but i am not getting any concrete answers.

why use this type of slot if you have to use an adapter?

can we use a Wireless PCMCIA card and hook the car up to a network to upload music?

is there any way to rename a recorded song on the HDD or add a name if its no name?
Old 10-12-2008, 04:30 AM

09 C63
I'm actually pretty interested in this one. I don't know anything about the PCMCIA slot in the C63. What exactly is it's functionality?
Old 10-12-2008, 04:58 AM

00 E430 05 S203 08 C63
Originally Posted by AMGBeleza
I'm actually pretty interested in this one. I don't know anything about the PCMCIA slot in the C63. What exactly is it's functionality?
u can use a PCMCIA adaptor card for SD memory card.. so you can play MP3 in your car you no longer need to burn your own CDs
Old 10-12-2008, 10:36 AM

2009 C63
Originally Posted by radrads203
u can use a PCMCIA adaptor card for SD memory card.. so you can play MP3 in your car you no longer need to burn your own CDs
You still need to save ur own MP3 music to an SD and a 4.7 GB DVD is much cheaper than a 4 GB SD or Compact Flash card any day of the week. Why bother with MP3 on SD when you can get 4.7 GB of MP3 on a single DVD... not sure I understand the use or advantage of the PCMCIA verses the DVD MP3.

Last edited by shaker; 10-12-2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by shaker
A 4.7 GB DVD is much cheaper than a 4 GB SD or Compact Flash card any day of the week. Why bother with MP3 on SD when you can get 4.7 GB of MP3 on a single DVD... not sure I understand the use or advantage of the PCMCIA verses the DVD MP3.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:31 PM

e550 4m
So is the idea of a wireless card and network uploads out of the question?

I just dont understand where a pcmcia card made sense, can you even get any kind of memory on a pcmcia card - i thought they were meant for interface only.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by stefario
So is the idea of a wireless card and network uploads out of the question?

I just dont understand where a pcmcia card made sense, can you even get any kind of memory on a pcmcia card - i thought they were meant for interface only.
For $26 you can get a pcmcia adapter that takes SD or CF cards. The only benefit to this is the upload your Outlook contacts. I'm going to do this to get access to my stuff since my iPhone won't upload.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
i did a search and read a bit but i am not getting any concrete answers
all this has been discussed on the W204 forum
Old 10-12-2008, 01:47 PM

09 C63
Originally Posted by GBlansten
For $26 you can get a pcmcia adapter that takes SD or CF cards. The only benefit to this is the upload your Outlook contacts. I'm going to do this to get access to my stuff since my iPhone won't upload.
Cool, I'm a fellow iPhoner too. I guess i'll have to do that. I think it's a great idea to have music on an SD card that stays in the car permanantly.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:54 PM

2006 BMW 330i, 2009 C63
Originally Posted by shaker
You still need to save ur own MP3 music to an SD and a 4.7 GB DVD is much cheaper than a 4 GB SD or Compact Flash card any day of the week. Why bother with MP3 on SD when you can get 4.7 GB of MP3 on a single DVD... not sure I understand the use or advantage of the PCMCIA verses the DVD MP3.
The way I see it, it is easier to copy music to the SD card and alot more convenient to store it.

George
Old 10-12-2008, 02:03 PM

2009 Fully loaded C63 AMG - black on black and CF trim; 2006 Lexus IS250 AWD;
oh man, I dun even know where I can get the PCMCIA adapter in Toronto
Old 10-12-2008, 02:11 PM

RHD C200 Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
Originally Posted by jackrycheung
Should be able to get 'em at any electronics store. Best bang for the buck - at least south of the border - is PCMCIA adapter + Compact Flash (CF) cards. Don't waste money on the high speed versions, pointless on the COMAND. I'm a big believer in solid state over DVD/CD - burn one, leave it in until you want new tunes, then just add 'em...
Old 10-12-2008, 02:19 PM

e550 4m
tanktube - I appreciate you sharing that this has been discussed and as I said before i did search for it.

If you read up on PC cards it is evident that they are outdated and rarely used.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_Card

it is also well known the the computer world that PC/PCMCIA is not used as memory expansion and really hasnt been since the mid 90s

Why would a 2009 vehicle have this slot? that is my question...has anyone tried a wireless card to hook up to their network?

does anyone with more knowledge / experience than me think it will or will not work...

that was the basis of my question. All the search articles really revolve around the adapter.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
www.amazon.com

www.newegg.com

etc
Old 10-12-2008, 05:58 PM

2009 C63
Best Buy!
Old 10-12-2008, 05:59 PM

2009 C63
Originally Posted by jarjoug
The way I see it, it is easier to copy music to the SD card and alot more convenient to store it.

George
SD's are much more expensive and easier to lose!! LOL
Just my opinion..... I use SD and Compact Flash for photography only.... but that's just me....
Old 10-13-2008, 06:13 PM

RHD C200 Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
Originally Posted by stefario
tanktube - I appreciate you sharing that this has been discussed and as I said before i did search for it.

If you read up on PC cards it is evident that they are outdated and rarely used.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_Card

it is also well known the the computer world that PC/PCMCIA is not used as memory expansion and really hasnt been since the mid 90s

Why would a 2009 vehicle have this slot? that is my question...has anyone tried a wireless card to hook up to their network?

does anyone with more knowledge / experience than me think it will or will not work...

that was the basis of my question. All the search articles really revolve around the adapter.
Something like 99% of the laptops currently produced have PCMCIA cards slots in them, and everyone who shoots decent digital photos probably has at least two adapters, so I think maybe you need to read the wikipedia article completely. PCMCIA is not only a "memory interface" standard, it's a "interface standard" - hence you buy a generic "interface" (pcmcia adapter) and use whatever flavor of memory chip you have lying about...

Feel free to plug whatever you want into the PCMCIA slot on your COMAND. PCMCIA is an interface standard, and as such required that the device (COMAND) in our case - read the CIS data from what's inserted (Your wireless card in this case) - and then load the appropriate drivers and software.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I seriously doubt that MB wrote wireless drivers for COMAND, and then implemented a TCP/IP stack to support networking. I could be wrong, have been before.

MB could have decided to implement CF, SD, xD, MemoryStick, or any one of ten different memory card interfaces. Personally I think it was smart to chose an interface standard rather than a card type, leaving you to decide what format you wanted...

You played with your USB port yet? Anyone plugged in a keyboard? :P

Last edited by UK-C200; 10-13-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 AMG Black on Black PP Package CF fully loaded
Originally Posted by UK-C200
Something like 99% of the laptops currently produced have PCMCIA cards slots in them, and everyone who shoots decent digital photos probably has at least two adapters, so I think maybe you need to read the wikipedia article completely. PCMCIA is not only a "memory interface" standard, it's a "interface standard" - hence you buy a generic "interface" (pcmcia adapter) and use whatever flavor of memory chip you have lying about...

Feel free to plug whatever you want into the PCMCIA slot on your COMAND. PCMCIA is an interface standard, and as such required that the device (COMAND) in our case - read the CIS data from what's inserted (Your wireless card in this case) - and then load the appropriate drivers and software.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I seriously doubt that MB wrote wireless drivers for COMAND, and then implemented a TCP/IP stack to support networking. I could be wrong, have been before.

MB could have decided to implement CF, SD, xD, MemoryStick, or any one of ten different memory card interfaces. Personally I think it was smart to chose an interface standard rather than a card type, leaving you to decide what format you wanted...

You played with your USB port yet? Anyone plugged in a keyboard? :P
I'm with you...I also doubt they wrote a TCP/IP stack, but then someone should try at the very least and report back
Old 10-13-2008, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 AMG Black on Black PP Package CF fully loaded
Here is a great deal on Ebay, I just purchased an adapter PCMCIA and it comes with a 1 GB flash card. http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
Old 10-13-2008, 10:27 PM

2006 BMW 330i, 2009 C63
This is the one I have, I will get the car on Friday and test it then.

http://www.b2cpowershop.com/en/5in1-...er-reader.html

George
Old 10-13-2008, 11:11 PM

AMG C63
PCMCIA card are SO OLD

How OLD are they?

We use them for downloading pilot data from mission planning data.
Thats how old they are. If we are using them in our Navy airplanes then its OLD technology.
Thats not good.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
I went to Best Buy tonight and got the pcmcia compact flash card adapter. LOL, it was only ten bucks.

Then, I had to go into Outlook and individually pull up each contact and save it as a vcard. Big fun. I finally got the vcards saved to the compact flash card. I put it into the adapter and imported the data successfully into the C63. A bit of a hassle but it's all good to go now.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:40 AM

09 C63
Originally Posted by paulGT3
PCMCIA card are SO OLD

How OLD are they?

We use them for downloading pilot data from mission planning data.
Thats how old they are. If we are using them in our Navy airplanes then its OLD technology.
Thats not good.
Ha ha!! That's amazing, the Navy get's PMCIA!! I'm really jealous now. If you only had a chance to see the VCR looking piece of crap that we were using in the Apache Longbows (the premier attack helicopter) just a couple of years ago... you would really be thinking old!
Old 10-14-2008, 11:42 AM
Almost a Member!

AMG C63 AMG White
Ha ha!! That's amazing, the Navy get's PMCIA!! I'm really jealous now. If you only had a chance to see the VCR looking piece of crap that we were using in the Apache Longbows (the premier attack helicopter) just a couple of years ago... you would really be thinking old!
loool somebody is getting burneD!
Old 10-14-2008, 01:52 PM

2009 Iridium Silver C63
A couple of years ago, Matt? Last I checked our '64s still had the 1970's memory technology in those DTCs or are you referring to the TEAC VCR monsters?. Just to think that I can go down to Best Buy and buy a $10 flash memory card that can hold more data than that DTC makes me grumble. The CAB is getting the new Block of Apaches and those come with PMCIAs too! Yay, we're only 15 years behind the power curve now!
Anyways, I digress.....did you pick up your AMG yet or is MB still dicking around with military pricing? I'm picking mine up in Dallas on Tuesday...dealer even going to pick me up at the airport! Can't wait!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: pcmcia - pc card and hdd