C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The competition is a bargain: CTS-V for $60k!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RHD C200 Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
Originally Posted by MHP
Got an invite to test drive the car at a NY track (4.1 miles/lap) Nov 7th. It's the weekend before MIR...What to do...

Buy plane tickets now, go play. If the new one's are like last years, you will have a blast.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Almost a Member!

AMG C63 AMG White
Originally Posted by Satan
The CTS is in the 5 and E series class not C. That's why they compare it to an M5
i think you are worng there,the CTS is in c-class and 3 series club..the STS is in 5 and E class ..
Old 10-18-2008, 01:12 PM

STi
Originally Posted by Deeroff
I view the Caddy in the same way I view the ZR1 i have arriving -- great performance cars but not long term cars.

I will beat the ZR1 into the ground and track the living daylights out of it for 6 months and then sell it. The rattle and hum and poor build will take it toll in short order with the Vette as it surely does in the vast majority of Caddys I know. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule and and my experience is purely anecdotal.

MB, on the other hand, has the reputation of quality. I have owned quite a few and my friends and family scores more and the praise is universal.

And perhaps it is perception but as they say perception is reality - and thus the main reason (other than legacy pension and union costs) why future is so bleak for GM and not for Mercedes.

But opinions are like a$$holes - we all have them and they all stink
Did you pay over msrp for your ZR1? Since you are in the NY area, have you consider bringing it to Vette Doc for some header/exhaust/tuning to get you to 700hp/600whp?
Old 10-18-2008, 01:15 PM

STi
Originally Posted by dodi200k
i think you are worng there,the CTS is in c-class and 3 series club..the STS is in 5 and E class ..
That may be so but it's a big car - 42xxlbs, similar size to an E63 AMG.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:52 PM

C63, Scuderia, 599, 16M, AEV Hemi Jeep, '57 Porsche Speedster, '55 300SL, SLS on order
Originally Posted by bluert
Did you pay over msrp for your ZR1? Since you are in the NY area, have you consider bringing it to Vette Doc for some header/exhaust/tuning to get you to 700hp/600whp?

I don't pay over sticker for any of my cars. Not my Scuderia, not my 599 not my F430s not my Vette. Guess I am stubborn but also am fortunate to have relationships that afford me that luxury.

I also don't tend to mod my Italians. I will mod my long-term track cars with tires, exhaust, wheels, cast and camber adjustments especially where I am likely to keep the car long-term. The Vette, however is not destined to be a keeper - but if I do love, love, love it, I will come a knockin'!!!!!!
Old 10-18-2008, 04:18 PM

C63 / ////AMG
I'm sure the new CTS-V will be a screamer and easily modified at less expense than their German brethren. I've driven recent model Cadillacs, and they are of high quality, comparable to many other Euro, Japanese, US marques.

Personally, if I didn't care how it looked on the outside, I would get one. Almost every time I see a Cadillac, it's being driven by an octogenarian. (The exception being the Escalade line, those being a pimp-daddy kind of look). I'm trying not to stereotype here, but admittedly I am...

The CTS-V does not look like the badass that it is supposed to be. Hopefully, GM will be in business long enough to continue to develop competitive cars, and consider a refresh on their designs.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:18 PM

AMG C63
beemaze said
The CTS-V does not look like the badass that it is supposed to be.
GM tried to hit a homerun with unique styling with that caddillac square up look. Unfortunately they hit a pop foul and were out.
Got to give them credit for trying to get their own look. On that point I think they succeded. But having a BUNCH of friends with Suburbans and all the problems they have had, with a DriveTrain GM has been making for a CENTURY, I just wont buy one. GM should never have a problem with their pushrod motors, yet they do. I dont think I would trust 70K to Gm for a car unless I was buying a Z06. It was bad enough that I gave em 35K for my Duramax diesel and I had problems with that. the only reason I went with that is because the motor was an Izuzu (What happened to Joe Izuzu) and the tranny was an Allison.
Still I dont want to share a car with the Brentwood Retirement community.
I know Benz drivers are older too but its a different type of old guy. Some one usually who has another sports car and someone I would go skiing with.
The Caddy owner is the guy I stand in line with at the Prescription Drug store.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:35 PM

wife's car2014 ml350
i don't know, i have never driven one but i can tell u this, it looks pretty nice. i really don't care what badge is on the outside of the car as long as it looks good and drives better and sounds great! i have a merc, bmw and a chevy and they all are adequate in some way or another. nothing really makes me that hot any more but if i had a ferrari i may change my mind, no..... wait a minute, i would for surely change my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-19-2008, 01:57 AM

Looking for a new toy.
Well even Jeremy Clarkson, who is notoriously hard on American cars, likes it. This is not your grand daddy's Caddy!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle4920262.ece
Old 10-19-2008, 06:44 AM

07 jeepGCSRT8/04 SVT COBRA.....soon c63AMG
I must say that most of you guys need to do some more research before you reply to threads like this. Go and pick up the new issue of Modified Luxury and Exotics and see for yourselves. The new CTS-V is absolutely amazing. With a 0-60 of 3.9 and a top speed of 191 mph. Not to mention it pretty much comes with a detuned ZR1 drivetrain. You cant beat factory forced induction cars period. Look at the 03/04 SVT COBRA, will go down in history as probably best bang for your buck car ever. Just like MPH was saying, with mere bolt-ons like exhuast, cai and pulley/tune this car will be untouchable. I dont know about you guys but if i was in my c63 with my girl and a cadillac showed me the tails i would be pissed. And as far as fit and finish goes, have you guys noticed your interior? like holy plastic batman lol. And from my personal experience of daily driving big american v8's all my life, they turned out to be the most reliable.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:00 PM

STi
In the lastest C/D, it puts the CTS-V ahead of the M3 and C63 in lap times. That's pretty impressive for an almost 4300lbs car. Certainly a serious competition to the C63/M3 in performance and price.

At VIR 4.2 miles course.

CTS-V... 3:04.0
M3........ 3:05.6
C63....... 3:06.5
Old 10-19-2008, 12:03 PM

Bicycle
Originally Posted by dodi200k
Correct, but the STS is a big FWD **** box. They took the CTS and just decided to go against the 5/E/RS6 with it.

It won't be on top for very long either with the TT M5 coming out and the Turbo'd 63 Benz coming out. The RS6 is already there..572HP. I'd expect 580-590 from BMW/Benz.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
Originally Posted by OutlawAMG
Correct, but the STS is a big FWD **** box. They took the CTS and just decided to go against the 5/E/RS6 with it.

It won't be on top for very long either with the TT M5 coming out and the Turbo'd 63 Benz coming out. The RS6 is already there..572HP. I'd expect 580-590 from BMW/Benz.
Right, and then somebody will top that.....it never ends!
Old 10-19-2008, 05:06 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by OutlawAMG

The TT 6.2L/4v AMG motor got axed. We'll be lucky if we see the 5.5L/4v TT DI at this point.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:48 PM

AMG C63
Spartan said:
You cant beat factory forced induction cars period.
I can beat factory forced induction all day long. I dont like turbos or superchargers. They are not as fun to drive as normally aspirated motors.
I had a 911 twin turbo and after driving a GT3 I was hooked. I loved how the 8200 RPMs rewarded the driver with good driving. The Turbo was like driving with a sledge hammer. The better drivers love normally aspirated motors.
This AMG 6.2 the Porsche 3.6l GT3 motors. Anybody can drive a FI car fast. Its takes skill to drive a NA motor fast. Also Mags always give newbies good grades. Cadillac doesnt have a lot of racing history nor does it have the history that AMG has. So there isnt much research that needs to be done. history is a much better teacher than magazines with a 2 hour test drive on a new car.
The only recent Caddy racing history is last years World Speed challenge where Caddy used a Tube frame race car (illegal but they were the title sponsor) and STILL had to Punt the leading Porsche off the track in the LAST race to capture the series title after Porsche had it wrapped up.
Research? Nah

Last edited by paulGT3; 10-19-2008 at 05:52 PM.