C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The competition is a bargain: CTS-V for $60k!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IS300
The competition is a bargain: CTS-V for $60k!

Originally Posted by Autoblog
Cadillac prices 2009 CTS-V from $59,995:

The Cadillac CTS-V has already proven that its impressive power stats translate nicely to the track with sub-8 minute 'Ring times and a 0-60 time of 3.9 seconds. The General is also positioning its new 556-hp halo sedan as a performance bargain, having announced today that it will go on sale around November 1 with a starting price of just $59,995. That's more than $40,000 cheaper than the less powerful XLR-V, and we'd argue the CTS-V is more attractive with its v2.0 Art and Science styling and works much better as a daily driver with its back seat and usable trunk. The CTS-V also makes the larger $80,900 STS-V sedan completely irrelevant considering its 86-hp power advantage, improved aesthetics and quicker moves. Even the vaunted BMW M5 with its higher starting price of $83,900 and less powerful 500-hp 5.0L V10 engine can't touch the CTS-V in price or performance.
PRESS RELEASE:

Cadillac's All-New 2009 CTS-V Ready For Launch

The 2009 CTS-V, Cadillac's 556-hp expression of ultimate performance and luxury, begins production this month with initial sales beginning around November 1. The latest in the brand's V-Series of high performance models, the new CTS-V is intended to reach the top of the world's most desirable luxury cars, at a starting price of $59,995 in the US market.

"The launch of the new CTS-V presents a compelling proposition for luxury and performance enthusiasts," says Mark McNabb, North America vice president, Cadillac/Premium Channel. "The CTS-V is a strong statement about Cadillac design and technology and a new member in the club of the highest performing luxury cars."

The CTS-V, based on Cadillac's critically acclaimed CTS sports sedan, expresses the full extent of the brand's dramatic design and technology. Designed to enter the stratosphere of the world's fastest and most exclusive luxury sedans, CTS-V includes advanced performance technology such as a supercharged 6.2-liter V8 engine and Magnetic Ride Control, the world's fastest reacting suspension.

The new CTS-V comes standard with a nearly complete collection of features, including a hand-crafted cabin, a 6-speed manual transmission and a Bose surround sound system with a 40-gigabyte hard drive with a USB port. In addition there are a few options available, including a new 6-speed automatic transmission with steering wheel mounted shift buttons, 14-way adjustable Recaro performance seats, microfiber interior accents and a large "Ultra-View" sunroof.
"Along with the new Escalade Hybrid, the CTS-V is a key aspect in Cadillac's ongoing renaissance, with dramatic designs and very sophisticated technologies for luxury consumers," McNabb said. "These two new high-tech Cadillac models pave the way for a series of new Cadillac models coming in 2009, including the upcoming CTS Sport Wagon and SRX Crossover."
Old 10-17-2008, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG 2002, C 63 AMG 2009
Never been a fan of the "LLacs" but they are cool
Old 10-17-2008, 12:20 PM

C63, Scuderia, 599, 16M, AEV Hemi Jeep, '57 Porsche Speedster, '55 300SL, SLS on order
Not my cup of meat - BTW, the "starting price" for the C63 is less I believe.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:23 PM

09 C63
Originally Posted by Deeroff
Not impressive enough, doesn't beat out the M5. The only thing Cadillac did was measure, weigh and analyze every bit of the M5 to "try" to make it as good. In the end they came out with a heavier car with a little more HP (supercharged I might add) that doesn't have the refinement and fit and finish as the M5.

edit: very close round the track though... so kudos for an american company doing that in a similar way that BMW does. It's a fantastic move in the right direction!
Old 10-17-2008, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
It is close:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/cts-v-br...r-a-sedan.html
Old 10-17-2008, 03:11 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Remember guys, 650rwhp is possible with pulley, tune, bolt-ons from the LSA--as in GM has already dyno'd those numbers. With just a medium size pulley and CAI it made 607/605rw. It will have the potential to trap 130mph in said form, which we won't be able to do without H/C/C and/or nitrous.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:17 PM

C32
Supposedly the nail in the coffin axle hop was addressed in this version, so this version should be much more launch friendly.

While positioned to hunt the M5, this car really slots with the C63, M3, RS4 category. Probably the best overall car in this bunch right now, but will you take a Caddy over a Benz or Bimmer?
Old 10-17-2008, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan
no matter what GM comes up with its still a GM...
Old 10-17-2008, 05:00 PM

e550 4m
Originally Posted by tasho3
+ ALOT

Has anyone watched GM's stock lately? 6.43 close -110 EPS - this company is going down fast - they either did one of two things...

spent alot of money to make this one of the best GM cars ever and certainly the best interms of $ for performance with the hopes of turning a profit.

or they built a piece of **** that will fall apart after 25000miles and be worth $15000-25000 in 2 years.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:10 PM

I can't afford
Originally Posted by Deeroff
The CTS is in the 5 and E series class not C. That's why they compare it to an M5
Old 10-17-2008, 05:11 PM

I can't afford
Originally Posted by AMGBeleza
Not impressive enough, doesn't beat out the M5. The only thing Cadillac did was measure, weigh and analyze every bit of the M5 to "try" to make it as good. In the end they came out with a heavier car with a little more HP (supercharged I might add) that doesn't have the refinement and fit and finish as the M5.

edit: very close round the track though... so kudos for an american company doing that in a similar way that BMW does. It's a fantastic move in the right direction!
Have you driven the current CTS? The refinment and fit and finish is there, without the cheap look of the center dash that the M5 had till 07/08.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63
Some of you have a skewed idea of what Mercedes has become. They fall apart just as bad as anything put out by GM. Look at all the check engine light threads in this forum alone. BMW reputation isnt much better.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:40 PM

09 C63
Originally Posted by Satan
Have you driven the current CTS? The refinment and fit and finish is there, without the cheap look of the center dash that the M5 had till 07/08.
ok, the interior looks and feels very nice. The new seats look excellent. As I said, it is a fantastic step in the right direction.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:48 PM

I can't afford
Originally Posted by AMGBeleza
ok, the interior looks and feels very nice. The new seats look excellent. As I said, it is a fantastic step in the right direction.
not being rude, sorry. i'm just a big GM guy even though I drive Benz.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W164 ML500,SMART For two,1994 C280(5speed manual) 1999 C230k station wagon
Originally Posted by YellowJacket
Some of you have a skewed idea of what Mercedes has become. They fall apart just as bad as anything put out by GM. Look at all the check engine light threads in this forum alone. BMW reputation isnt much better.
Oh please stop! Just say no to drugs and go back to bed.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:59 PM

RHD C200 Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
Let's wait a bit over a week and see...

* Daimler Q3 results
* Due Oct. 23
* EBIT seen down 27 percent yr/yr at 1.38 bln eur ($1.86 bln)

FRANKFURT, Oct 17 (Reuters) - Germany's Daimler, the maker of Mercedes-Benz cars, is expected to report a 27 percent year-on-year fall in third-quarter earnings before interest and tax (EBIT) to 1.38 billion euros, a Reuters poll of analysts showed.

CTS-V is a promising piece of work. Don't want one, not gonna get one, but it's gonna eat C63's for lunch. At $5k of bolt on's, and it is gonna give M5's a damn good run. That's impressive no matter how you slice it. Now the question is GM gonna survive another year? ;-)
Old 10-17-2008, 09:18 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 E63 S Sedan
Originally Posted by UK-C200
CTS-V is a promising piece of work. Don't want one, not gonna get one, but it's gonna eat C63's for lunch. At $5k of bolt on's, and it is gonna give M5's a damn good run. That's impressive no matter how you slice it. Now the question is GM gonna survive another year? ;-)
C/D, I believe timed equivalent 0-60's and 1/4 mile...don't think it will eat us for lunch. Price wise, it's in the C63, M3 segment, but size-wise, it's with the E-class and M5. Looks like a great car!
Old 10-17-2008, 11:24 PM

e550 4m
i didnt quote but ill paste

* Daimler Q3 results
* Due Oct. 23
* EBIT seen down 27 percent yr/yr at 1.38 bln eur ($1.86 bln)

yep read that - now we only need 6 more of those exact pastes to match GM.................

plus the down turn is only reported after the whole world already told us that. GM was ahead of the bend ... in fact GM started the problem...DEATH TO GM!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-18-2008, 12:29 AM

AMG C63
No matter what you do, What you change what you say or how you say it,
no matter how many Led Zeplin songs you play during commercials its still:
Caddillac is for the BLue hairs (of which I am getting close to)
EVERY TIME I see Caddy it has someone over 80. Last week I went by a Caddy dealer in town and there was a sale and a big sign that said:

" Free Caddillac Tshirt for all drivers over 70 with Test Drive (must be accompanied by parents)"

I saw one of those $100k XLRs or what ever they are and I thought Gotta be a young guy. I passed him and NOPE someone over 60 driving it.

The ONLY other demographics for Caddies is My Hispanic cousins driving lowered Escallades. So Illegals and Retirement home folks. Cadillac is reaching out to the German car crowd. They just dont cross shop unless someone is one of those great interiored Z06's.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:05 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Got an invite to test drive the car at a NY track (4.1 miles/lap) Nov 7th. It's the weekend before MIR...What to do...
Old 10-18-2008, 02:36 AM

2005 C320 Coupe | 2002 IS300
Originally Posted by tasho3
I concur; can't hate on those that like GM because they are entitled to their own preference but it's just doesn't do it for me no matter what they come up with, performance, appearance, or quality wise.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 C230 Kompressor Sport
Originally Posted by YellowJacket

This is extremely true.

I was attending school at UTI about 2 years ago.. and to this day I will NEVER forget a quote I was told by one of the main U.S Reps from BMW....

"We purpously engineer our cars to keep you, the technician, with plenty of business"

Hmmmm.....

NO bull****. Not even kidding.

I was told that straight to my face.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:22 AM

C63, Scuderia, 599, 16M, AEV Hemi Jeep, '57 Porsche Speedster, '55 300SL, SLS on order
I view the Caddy in the same way I view the ZR1 i have arriving -- great performance cars but not long term cars.

I will beat the ZR1 into the ground and track the living daylights out of it for 6 months and then sell it. The rattle and hum and poor build will take it toll in short order with the Vette as it surely does in the vast majority of Caddys I know. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule and and my experience is purely anecdotal.

MB, on the other hand, has the reputation of quality. I have owned quite a few and my friends and family scores more and the praise is universal.

And perhaps it is perception but as they say perception is reality - and thus the main reason (other than legacy pension and union costs) why future is so bleak for GM and not for Mercedes.

But opinions are like a$$holes - we all have them and they all stink
Old 10-18-2008, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
I have to laugh when people think Mercedes and BMW are so far ahead of this in terms of quality and refinement. My first AMG (C32) didn't exactly break any reliability records. Nor was the fit and finish superb. Same goes with the BMW I had. I'm on my second AMG and so far so good but don't think the Germans are untouchable or that their cars are designed by magical fairies that sprinkle magic dust over them and give them some special quality before they leave the factory.

Last edited by wawy; 10-18-2008 at 12:29 PM. Reason: n/a
Old 10-18-2008, 12:54 PM

RHD C200 Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
Originally Posted by wawy
I have to laugh when people think Mercedes and BMW are so far ahead of this in terms of quality and refinement. My first AMG (C32) didn't exactly break any reliability records. Nor was the fit and finish superb. Same goes with the BMW I had. I'm on my second AMG and so far so good but don't think the Germans are untouchable or that their cars are designed by magical fairies that sprinkle magic dust over them and give them some special quality before they leave the factory.
So I'm on my 5th MB (only one AMG), and I do love the cars and the styling, but like you, I've had my share of problems..

My dad-in-law has a year old CTS-V, and so far he's loving it. The interior is probably one of the best I've ever seen in an American car, and before you start hating it, I'd suggest you go take a test drive - the thing is a beast on the order of the C63 with no question, and to be honest, the electronics are better.

Originally Posted by paulGT3
EVERY TIME I see Caddy it has someone over 80. Last week I went by a Caddy dealer in town and there was a sale and a big sign that said:

" Free Caddillac Tshirt for all drivers over 70 with Test Drive (must be accompanied by parents)"
Hehehe - when was the last time you wandered around an MB dealership?! The folks I see driving new MB's (specially the E's, S's and SL's) are getting a bit long in the tooth as well!

Last edited by UK-C200; 10-18-2008 at 01:00 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The competition is a bargain: CTS-V for $60k!