Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 03:57 AM
MHP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C63 AMG
Cut Outs Installed

Installed some electronic cut-outs in our C63 two days ago. I'll dyno test them next week and also do a 100 v2 octane dyno test, sorry, tracks are otherwise closed up here. If they make power we'll include them in an optional Stage 1.5 package along with our underdrive pulley/SFI crank dampner--available in the next 30 days. I'd like to see a combined 20rwhp out of these two additional mods. They are placed behind the primary cats and in front of everything else (secondary cats, resonator, mufflers) so as you can imagine when open they are LOUD.
In order to open all you need to do is flip a switch mounted anywhere you want in the cabin. I just ran mine between the armrest and the driver's side seat next to the seat belt slot/connection point.

Excuse the welds. The car is getting a full exhaust LTs+3" catback two days after MIR so it was a quickie.

Pics:

Cut Outs Installed-0004-16.jpg

Cut Outs Installed-0003-20.jpg

Cut Outs Installed-0002-26.jpg

Neckdown in the stock exhaust manifold that's 2 3/8" , these things will gain power from a real exhaust:

Cut Outs Installed-0001-29.jpg

Vids/Sound clips coming as soon as it stops monsooning.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2008, 02:07 PM

2009 C63, 2000 Nissan Maxima
excuse the ignorance, but what is a cut-out exactly?
based on what it looks like, i'd like to say it looks like an extremely short exhaust system, or something to that extent
Old 10-25-2008, 03:01 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Six-Trey_Dreamn
excuse the ignorance, but what is a cut-out exactly?
based on what it looks like, i'd like to say it looks like an extremely short exhaust system, or something to that extent
Exactly. It's basically a piece of Y shaped stainless tubing that welds in behind the primary cats and bypasses the rest of the exhaust when electronically opened. For those that live in states with stringent emissions testing (CA,NY) it may be a better option than going with LTs and a full aftermarket exhaust. I'll hit the dyno asap to see what gains there are if any.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2008, 04:14 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
I hate you! I wanted to be the first one to have cut outs. Mine would have been on a C55 though. I bet it sounds so carzy people not going to put 2+2 together. Who did you get your cutouts from? I was going to go with badlandz HPE wireless set up. If all things are stock I bet you freed up 25hp or so. Very very cool mod

I got to hear this! got any sound clips??? video???
Old 10-25-2008, 04:21 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
I hate you! I wanted to be the first one to have cut outs. Mine would have been on a C55 though. I bet it sounds so carzy people not going to put 2+2 together. Who did you get your cutouts from? I was going to go with badlandz HPE wireless set up. If all things are stock I bet you freed up 25hp or so. Very very cool mod

I got to hear this! got any sound clips??? video???
You hit the nail on the head. Went out to dinner last night at my fav steakhouse and pulled up with the cutouts open. Everyone's head turned but they didn't focus on my car, instead they were scanning for some big inch American muscle lol!
I'm using QTPs (which we now carry), and if they make power and work at the track they'll be added as an option (Stage 1.5) along with our new 6.2 UD pulley/dampner (SFI).

Thanks
Andy
Old 10-25-2008, 04:27 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by MHP
You hit the nail on the head. Went out to dinner last night at my fav steakhouse and pulled up with the cutouts open. Everyone's head turned but they didn't focus on my car, instead they were scanning for some big inch American muscle lol!
I'm using QTPs (which we now carry), and if they make power and work at the track they'll be added as an option (Stage 1.5) along with our new 6.2 UD pulley/dampner (SFI).

Thanks
Andy
I was looking at the QTP's and they are on my short list. I would rather buy them from a sponsor than some random website. What kind of price numbers are we looking at for a set? I'm very interested what would the lead time be?

also I would think about putting a protection sleeve over those wires. some thing comes up and hits them it could clip the wires. just my .02

Last edited by hooleyboy; 10-25-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:57 PM

04 CLK 500, 07 GSX-R 750, S 550, 09 Jeep GC
not even close, i've had my cut-out for over 2 years now. works great, i have the same setup from qtp, and the digital control unit. LOUD when i want silent a tthe flip of a switch. best of both worlds.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:10 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
I was looking at the QTP's and they are on my short list. I would rather buy them from a sponsor than some random website. What kind of price numbers are we looking at for a set? I'm very interested what would the lead time be?

also I would think about putting a protection sleeve over those wires. some thing comes up and hits them it could clip the wires. just my .02
What size is your exhaust dia and do you want the electric display or not? Orders usually ship the same day, so depending on where you live 2-4 days to receive them.

I'm just running the basic setup for two reasons. 1) I don't think the electric display is necessary in my app 2) I'm doing a complete aftermarket longtube to tailpipe exhaust after MIR anyway so it's just a temp testing measure for me.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by MHP
What size is your exhaust dia and do you want the electric display or not? Orders usually ship the same day, so depending on where you live 2-4 days to receive them.

I'm just running the basic setup for two reasons. 1) I don't think the electric display is necessary in my app 2) I'm doing a complete aftermarket longtube to tailpipe exhaust after MIR anyway so it's just a temp testing measure for me.

Thanks
I just want a switch with open and closed. or better yet loud and really loud. I'm 2.5 inch i believe
Old 10-25-2008, 05:18 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
I just want a switch with open and closed. or better yet loud and really loud. I'm 2.5 inch i believe
Exactly what I run (switch and size). https://shop.quicktimeperformance.co...ct_detail&p=29

They charge $404.99 plus shipping. I'll get them for you for $400 shipped ground. Sorry they don't give me a huge discount.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:49 PM

e550 4m
thats effing cool and i want to hear it.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:57 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Andy - I would think the reduction in backpressure would kill tq numbers but increase top end, no ?
Old 10-26-2008, 08:25 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by LZH
Andy - I would think the reduction in backpressure would kill tq numbers but increase top end, no ?
Due to the wet weather, now bald (~3200 miles on them) Nitto DRs, and it being homecoming weekend for OSU (lots of friends in town) I haven't had the chance to do much driving with them open.
In theory I shouldn't lose too much as they are behind the restrictive stock primary cats, however based on the miles driven so far with them open, I agree with your accessment on the loss of low end tq. The problem is the car is so loud I can't drive around with them open, I'm sure I'd get pulled over instantly. Otherwise I believe the ECU would adjust and some of the lost bottom end would come back (probably not all of it).
A local E63 owner dyno'd them to a small gain but knocked on avg .006 off his ET at a track rental day with them open. Es are a few hundred lbs heavier than Cs and we have even smaller diameter exhaust tubing so I'm thinking maybe a tenth gain? If anything I think I'd launch with them shut then flip the switch after 5k in first.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:31 AM

'09 C63 Performance Package - Steel Grey/Sahara Biege
Quick question, where did you run the wires to get them from the cutout motor to the armrest? Had to go through the car somewhere right?

For what it's worth to anyone looking into it, JSC also makes a cutout that's remote, it may save some wiring into the cabin...not sure.

Lastly, if there's room, you could get an exhaust turn-down from Jegs. It would make a nice "fit and finish" to the final installation. Andy, you may wish to add this to Version 1.5. Couldn't quite tell from the picture, but if the cutout fits nice and flush and isn't any lower then exhaust pipes, this turn down would be nice:

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...-1&showValue=1

Looking forward to the video. I'd pay admission to view a nice idle, rev, regular and full throttle fly by!

(Anyone else grow up memorizing lines from the Cannonball Run? I'm picturing the Shiek in his Rolls Royce.)
Old 10-29-2008, 09:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
E55, GMC Suburban, F430 matchbox, Caddooo DTS
Maybe you should try using a tape measure to show the size of the piping rather than a phone, you think that may be a good idea?

Also, I know you said it was a quikie job on the pipe but I don't think I would be showing off pictures of that install, quickie job or not, it looks pretty shoddy to me.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:51 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by cpais
Maybe you should try using a tape measure to show the size of the piping rather than a phone, you think that may be a good idea?
I grabbed what was handy, sorry it wasn't to your liking--at least most people know how small a Motorola Razr is. You are welcome to post pics of your own should you ever install said parts. Are you big into fabrication/welding?

Also, I know you said it was a quikie job on the pipe but I don't think I would be showing off pictures of that install, quickie job or not, it looks pretty shoddy to me.
Like I said before, we're doing a complete stainless full exhaust on the car immediately after MIR so the cut outs will only be on for 2.5 more weeks. I don't have a lot of spare time to work on my own car so it is what it is and I made no bones about it in my initial post. The test is to see if they make power, not to judge my welding ability.

Thanks
Old 10-29-2008, 02:02 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by clktoc63
Quick question, where did you run the wires to get them from the cutout motor to the armrest? Had to go through the car somewhere right?

For what it's worth to anyone looking into it, JSC also makes a cutout that's remote, it may save some wiring into the cabin...not sure.

Lastly, if there's room, you could get an exhaust turn-down from Jegs. It would make a nice "fit and finish" to the final installation. Andy, you may wish to add this to Version 1.5. Couldn't quite tell from the picture, but if the cutout fits nice and flush and isn't any lower then exhaust pipes, this turn down would be nice:

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...-1&showValue=1

Looking forward to the video. I'd pay admission to view a nice idle, rev, regular and full throttle fly by!

(Anyone else grow up memorizing lines from the Cannonball Run? I'm picturing the Shiek in his Rolls Royce.)
Good call on the turndowns, I bet they help a good bit with the resonance issue. The wires were run up through the engine bay by the ECU, use a modified coat hanger.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:56 PM

e550 4m
Hey Andy - are we gonna get a vid?
Old 10-30-2008, 03:24 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by stefario
Hey Andy - are we gonna get a vid?

Sorry, been spending time with my new pup (dog really):

https://mbworld.org/forums/off-topic/267459-my-rescue-dog-experience-please-help.html

I sill need to dyno the cut outs and 100 octane with v2 before putting v3 in for MIR.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:07 AM

e550 4m
i think this has been forgotten - is it worth it?
Old 11-09-2008, 01:52 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by stefario
i think this has been forgotten - is it worth it?
I called my bud at the shop I use to dyno and found out that they were moving to the building next door last week. Dyno was already out of the ground. Hopefully they reinstall it this week because I have CF Airboxes and a 180 Stat to test along with the cutouts, then a 98-100 octane v2 dyno before MIR. I guess it can happen after, but for obvious reasons I want them (results) asap.
After MIR the C63 goes in for a full exhaust and we will begin to offer a Stage II Package. Most likely consisting of:

Stage I Package (Custom ECU/TCU + Thermalnators + Drop-in Air Filters) +

1) CF Airboxes, high flow oil/foam filters. (available now)

2) 180 Degree T-stat (available now)

3) MHP SFI spec UD Pulley (available in 3 weeks)

4) Longtube headers (304T with merge collectors and optional ceramic coating) available with either (or both as in you can purchase both off-road and catted, it's a 10 minute swap) high flow metallic substrate cats (your choice of cell count) and 3" collectors leading to a 3" X-pipe, resonators, and mufflers. We will offer both straight through and baffled mufflers, which along with the selected cat cell count, allow you to custom tailor the loudness/tone of your exhaust. We may offer a H pipe as an option as well (vs the standard X). (available in 4-5 weeks)

I think we can hit 480rw SAE + with said parts on 93 octane. The Stage II Package provides a solid foundation for our Stage III package (H/C).

Stage IV will be ready by Feb/March. Can't say anything about it yet, other than it won't be cheap. I don't see anyone ever making more power with a 63.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:56 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Also going to run v2 at MIR. The plan was to run v3 but we've been too busy doing customer cars (which take priority) for MIR. I guess we'll see what Stage I/v2 is really capable of with the addition of CF airboxes/larger filters and 180 stat. Slim chance I'll have my UD pulley ready by Friday.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:53 PM

2008 MB S63
Always thinking ahead Andy, I just bought 2 pairs of those electric cut outs for the M6 and the S63... POST SOME VIDS SOON BRO!

-Mario
Old 11-11-2008, 07:48 PM

C63AMG
Where is the fish/steak rack installed for flame broiled.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:17 PM
Almost a Member!

-
you think you know alot about cars, then some cool thing like this comes around and blows you out of the water... Im sure they have been around for a while but wow.. cool

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cut Outs Installed