Sponsored by:

Noise from engine bay when car is off?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63, BMW E46 M3
Noise from engine bay when car is off?

I had a purge valve replaced last week that supposedly was the cause of my 2nd CEL. Today after returning from getting my trans and diff fuid change I started to hear a strange noise coming from the engine bay drivers side towards the headlights. It lasts for about 2 secs and come on every 10 sec approx for the last hr. I've heard it before several wks ago but didn't pay attention to it as I thought it was the house water filter. Today I checked and it is definitely coming from under the hood. It sounds like noisy water pipes in a house when you turn off and on the faucet. Anyone have any ideas?
Another member said that ther CEL light was being caused by a faulty part in the ECU not letting the purge valve open. Could this sound be some sort of valve trying to open but can't?
Old 10-25-2008, 11:55 PM

AMG C63
Noises after shut down is not unusual. My Porsches have all had the fans come on after hard runs in warm weather but you're saying this isn't a fan noise?
Could be some sort of valve trying to let fluid go somewhere to relieve some heat issue, after running. If it only happens after shut down and for the next hour I wouldnt worry about it. If you hear the noise 2hours or more afterward then you might want to take it in.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:02 AM

C63, BMW E46 M3
Originally Posted by paulGT3
Noises after shut down is not unusual. My Porsches have all had the fans come on after hard runs in warm weather but you're saying this isn't a fan noise?
Could be some sort of valve trying to let fluid go somewhere to relieve some heat issue, after running. If it only happens after shut down and for the next hour I wouldnt worry about it. If you hear the noise 2hours or more afterward then you might want to take it in.
Yeah definitely after 2hrs, and definitely not the fan. But, this doesn't happen every day. I'll see what happens tomorrow.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:30 AM

bike
My car is always in hot weather and I don't hear any noises after it's turned off other than the usual dripping, etc...

I would take it back to the dealer. doesn't sound normal imo.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:20 AM

09 C63
I am almost 100% sure there is a fan or liquid circulation that will continue running after the car is shut off if it is still at or above a predesignated temperature. This is totally normal. This has been a norm an many high performance cars for a long time and has become the norm in many regular cars as of late as well. Even my motorcycle had this.