Sponsored by:

DIFF SERVICE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63, BMW E46 M3
DIFF SERVICE

After reading the threads on this forum I thought I was safe with my diff service. I was able to get the right fluid put in at the dealer but according to my invoice I was not charged for new plugs, which to me means my old ones were reused. I did not know about the service bulletin which requires new plugs to get used. I have placed a call to the service manager to address this and am waiting his call back. What do I need to worry about at this point?
I swear these dealerships have no clue about the cars they sell. If it wasn't for me being proactive and insisting I see the bottles of the diff fluid they were going to use my diff would have ,for sure, been ruined.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:39 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 E63 S Sedan
When my service manager pulled up the official MB "LSD diff care guide", it said to replace the DRAIN plug and not reuse the old plug "to prevent a potential future leak". My guy will not replace the fluid without getting the plug first, just as I would not let him anyway. They are not normally stocked and must be ordered from Germany.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:37 AM

C63, BMW E46 M3
Originally Posted by Strafe1
When my service manager pulled up the official MB "LSD diff care guide", it said to replace the DRAIN plug and not reuse the old plug "to prevent a potential future leak". My guy will not replace the fluid without getting the plug first, just as I would not let him anyway. They are not normally stocked and must be ordered from Germany.
Strafe, do you think you can get a copy or its ref number. The service mgr told me he was trying to find this TSB as he had never heard of that before. He says his foreman doesn't know of this and could not find it from MB. This was late Fri evening. He says they will check with MB on Mon and call me back. If this is the case they will do the service again and change the plug. I don't know if they're BSing me or not but I would like to have this TSB in hand if possible. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:10 AM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 E63 S Sedan
Originally Posted by docmfg
Strafe, do you think you can get a copy or its ref number. The service mgr told me he was trying to find this TSB as he had never heard of that before. He says his foreman doesn't know of this and could not find it from MB. This was late Fri evening. He says they will check with MB on Mon and call me back. If this is the case they will do the service again and change the plug. I don't know if they're BSing me or not but I would like to have this TSB in hand if possible. Thanks.
It may not be an actual "service bulletin", in the sense of an identified problem that needs correction. It is more of a "instructions for service". When they pull up C63 ('09) and LSD oil change, a set of instructions and warnings come up. The instructions state the type of oil to be used (Castrol SAF XJ 75w-140), and the MB part number. The warnings are several, one of which states the need to replace the drain plug for the reasons previously stated. My service manager apologized to me for not reading the service guide more closely. I suspect the mechanical LSD's are new to Mercedes, hence their inexperience with the proper procedures! Hope this helps! If your guy needs more help, he can call my guy.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Strafe1
It may not be an actual "service bulletin", in the sense of an identified problem that needs correction. It is more of a "instructions for service". When they pull up C63 ('09) and LSD oil change, a set of instructions and warnings come up. The instructions state the type of oil to be used (Castrol SAF XJ 75w-140), and the MB part number. The warnings are several, one of which states the need to replace the drain plug for the reasons previously stated. My service manager apologized to me for not reading the service guide more closely. I suspect the mechanical LSD's are new to Mercedes, hence their inexperience with the proper procedures! Hope this helps! If your guy needs more help, he can call my guy.
Mercedes has been using mechanical LSDs for a while (at least 30 years, although probably more), not sure why the C63 is such a fickle one.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 AMG Black on Black PP Package CF fully loaded
Most dealers are Not up to speed with everything MBUSA throws at them. I had questioned (Foreman lead mechanic @ one NYC dealer), its scary how clueless they are when it comes to a AMG... That is one of the reasons why I made a last minute switch to a larger first class NY/NJ area MB dealer. Don't let the manager or sales person convince you that they have the best service bc they are full of crap 1/2 of the time, see for yourself first hand where and who will be servicing your car. This will in the long run save you time and Head aches...
Old 11-01-2008, 10:57 AM

CLK Black
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
Mercedes has been using mechanical LSDs for a while (at least 30 years, although probably more), not sure why the C63 is such a fickle one.
It's not, it is just that many dealers have never serviced one before now.

Unless they service PP AMG's the SL65 or G55 on a regular basis they may not have ever done this.....

It seems ot be catching dealers off guard to say the least.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMG Dictator
It's not, it is just that many dealers have never serviced one before now.

Unless they service PP AMG's the SL65 or G55 on a regular basis they may not have ever done this.....

It seems ot be catching dealers off guard to say the least.
Sorry, I should expressed myself more accurately. What I meant to say is that considering how long these have been around, why are the dealers finding this one so difficult to service?

I have always serviced the differentials on my cars, LSD or not.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Almost a Member!

Mercedes C63 AMG
Every how many Klm do i need to change the LSD oil ??
Old 11-02-2008, 03:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

After the first service I would say every 50.000 km with the transmission fluid.