C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powerchip flash ECU done (Best Bang For Your Bucks)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by zhecks
I am planning to get a 2009 C63 next month and would like to get some confirmations on the following:

a) has anyone flashed the ECU with Evosport Powechip package (v1, v2 or v3) and confirm the 80+ hp gains (beside Evosport's own dyno results). there are too many threads going on saying 'it works' or 'it does not work -- only 15 hp'. Preferably, it is a So. California resident so i know he/she is using 91 oct gas. .
Many people got the Evosport/Powerchip flash, some didn't like it as the car didn't make much more power at all while others apparently say it's fine. Evosport claimed that on a couple of their flashes, they flashed the wrong file (an older version), so they had to correct it. Powerchip in general, seems to be loved by some and hated by some.

b) Anyone who knows a good deal for a C63 at any of the so. calif MB dealers? please don't refer FJ, they want to charge me the price of E63 for a C63. How much discount can i expect below MSRP at this terrible market condition now? I have read from $4K to $9K (not sure if they are east coast or west coast discount).
I'm not sure you can get $9k off MSRP or not, but I do know some members got $4K easily. You should at least aim for a $4K discount.

c) Can Evosport flash the ECU at its location on the same day or do they have to send it away for a couple of days?
Yes, they can flash the ECU at their location or directly at Powerchip if their location is closer to you. It depends on how busy they are, the process can take 20 minutes or 3 hours.

d) do I have to break in the car before I flash the ECU? Also, do i have to Dyno tune the car in order to get the maximum output from the flash?
You don't have to, but it's definitely recommended to break the car in for about 1,000 miles before you start modding so that you can at least get a feel of how the car feels in stock form. Custom dyno tuning is definitely the best method for optimizing power and efficiency of your car. If you get a chance to do it, then by all means do it.

Regardless of which tuning company you chose, make sure you get a baseline dyno before any mods. This keeps everybody honest. You should always do the post mods dyno at the same place you did the pre-mods dyno, so that you can compare the gains (or loss) after tuning.

Good luck......
Old 03-22-2009, 05:14 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by BENZGal
I would be more worried about the long run. None the less, I wish you luck tonight. I would never wish a blown engine on anyone, and hope they have improved their product. It's OK to make a mistake as long as you take ownership of it. RENNTech has a warranty!!!!!! They are also going to retune the car to get a little more out of it. I can also run 109 race fuel without changing the ECU.
Go show us what you got Jim!!'
what can happen in the long run?

and how can you test/ insure that nothing is wrong?
as in prevention, PM if you must please
Old 03-23-2009, 12:36 PM
MHP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by BENZGal
I would be more worried about the long run. None the less, I wish you luck tonight. I would never wish a blown engine on anyone, and hope they have improved their product. It's OK to make a mistake as long as you take ownership of it. RENNTech has a warranty!!!!!! They are also going to retune the car to get a little more out of it. I can also run 109 race fuel without changing the ECU.
Go show us what you got Jim!!'
With all due respect you often post about durability/longevity and how satisfied you are with Renntech (aka Evotech) however to my knowledge quite a few tuners out there have never lost a motor (including us) whereas Renntech lost yours (correct?) and had to pay to replace it?
Old 03-23-2009, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by MHP
With all due respect you often post about durability/longevity and how satisfied you are with Renntech (aka Evotech) however to my knowledge quite a few tuners out there have never lost a motor (including us) whereas Renntech lost yours (correct?) and had to pay to replace it?
My goodness do I need to follow you through every thread to educate you? Am I your professor for the day?

Her car was tuned by a different tuner who I wont post just to be friendly. It had some pretty serious issues (running extremely rich and having the cylinder walls being washed with gas leading to worn rings, walls and pistons)with the tune and well it lead to serious motor damage.

So to resolve it she went to RENNtech (the tuner she trusted to fix her car and get to the bottom of the issue) and hand them build her a new motor with parts you could never get even in your wildest dreams. So now she has a RENNtech car that is stronger and more reliable than anything made for the E55 to date. It might not be the fastest in the 1/4 mile but it is beyond strong and will last forever.

And again, for the second lesson of the day, her car (and all RENNtech cars made these days) does not have an EVOtech ecu tune. Also your comments about the RENNtech software being only a WOT map adjustment are also false. They were the first tuners to actually work on drivability (part throttle response, shift smoothness which can be done within a very small range on the ECU as it controls the motor during a shift)on the M156 tune as they became a bit jumpy once you did adjustments. This was before you even decided to dip your toe into the world of tuning Mercedes vehicles.

Where is lesson three going to be?
Old 03-23-2009, 01:26 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
My goodness do I need to follow you through every thread to educate you? Am I your professor for the day?

Her car was tuned by a different tuner who I wont post just to be friendly. It had some pretty serious issues (running extremely rich and having the cylinder walls being washed with gas leading to worn rings, walls and pistons)with the tune and well it lead to serious motor damage.
So someone washed the rings out with an uber rich tune. Why not name the guilty?

So to resolve it she went to RENNtech (the tuner she trusted to fix her car and get to the bottom of the issue) and hand them build her a new motor with parts you could never get even in your wildest dreams. So now she has a RENNtech car that is stronger and more reliable than anything made for the E55 to date. It might not be the fastest in the 1/4 mile but it is beyond strong and will last forever.
Again, Renntech doesn't tune anything, Evotech does all their tuning. The remark about parts I can't get a hold of is hilarious, you have no idea what kind of builds we do everyday. I can tell you that a set of custom Manley billet 4340 I beams and 2618 CP pistons are of higher quality than what's in her motor and I've never seen it.

And again, for the second lesson of the day, her car (and all RENNtech cars made these days) does not have an EVOtech ecu tune.
You really need to do more homework before posting. Being that I just spent a few days overseas with an Evotech tuner who was doing work for Renntech, well, I can't say I've ever seen anything more wrong posted on the net. Their WOT tuning isn't bad though, I will say that.

Also your comments about the RENNtech software being only a WOT map adjustment are also false. They were the first tuners to actually work on drivability (part throttle response, shift smoothness which can be done within a very small range on the ECU as it controls the motor during a shift)on the M156 tune as they became a bit jumpy once you did adjustments. This was before you even decided to dip your toe into the world of tuning Mercedes vehicles.
Also FALSE as verified by Evotech themselves. They dont do part throttle or TCU. The comment about jumpiness just goes to show you that you were lied to or they simply didn't know what they were doing. Part throttle tuning is significantly more difficult than WOT tuning no question, but if they had issues with jumpiness, well, I don't know what to tell you.

Here and now, me correcting you, as seen above.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list

And again, for the second lesson of the day, her car (and all RENNtech cars made these days) does not have an EVOtech ecu tune. Also your comments about the RENNtech software being only a WOT map adjustment are also false. They were the first tuners to actually work on drivability (part throttle response, shift smoothness which can be done within a very small range on the ECU as it controls the motor during a shift)on the M156 tune as they became a bit jumpy once you did adjustments. This was before you even decided to dip your toe into the world of tuning Mercedes vehicles.

Thank you for this post.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by MHP

So someone washed the rings out with an uber rich tune. Why not name the guilty?

Again, Renntech doesn't tune anything, Evotech does all their tuning. The remark about parts I can't get a hold of is hilarious, you have no idea what kind of builds we do everyday. I can tell you that a set of custom Manley billet 4340 I beams and 2618 CP pistons are of higher quality than what's in her motor and I've never seen it.

You really need to do more homework before posting. Being that I just spent a few days overseas with an Evotech tuner who was doing work for Renntech, well, I can't say I've ever seen anything more wrong posted on the net. Their WOT tuning isn't bad though, I will say that.

Also FALSE as verified by Evotech themselves. They dont do part throttle or TCU. The comment about jumpiness just goes to show you that you were lied to or they simply didn't know what they were doing. Part throttle tuning is significantly more difficult than WOT tuning no question, but if they had issues with jumpiness, well, I don't know what to tell you.

Here and now, me correcting you, as seen above.
So let see here, you went to talk to who at Evotech? I bet I have spent more time than you with Oliver over the years. And You got an opinion (which I doubt has any validity) from a person who now has cut ties with RENNtech? Even if your claim was true about meeting with him, is that persons opinion at all valid?

I know you are wrong. I know first hand you are wrong. You feel you know everything but I must say welcome to yesterday on your statement about RENNtech and EvoTech tuning.

RENNtech has sold likely up to 4 different versions of the M156 software. Now lets give you a little credit and say you did look at an E63 and see the software was not that great given the current market. Did it ever cross your mind that you got your hands on a very old generation tune sold in 2006? So how about you look at the dyno plot from a car with a current tune and then realize your mistakes.

Customers performance figures show the quality of the tuner. Given your very wonderful introduction here, great responses from a CLK63 bs owner and an E55 owner, I think you have some make up work to do. Maybe some extra credit or bonus would help too.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
jesus

does it never end ... I'm another that has met oliver and talked to him at length about tuning ... my car actually has an oliver tune. Of course I bought this kit well over 2 years ago. Oliver personally came out to cali and fine tuned my ecu.

As to TCU maps ... some ecu's have it ... some don't. This is part of the reason for all this bs controversy.

Seems like MHP was one of the first to identify an ECU with these maps. (At least they were the first to publicly state it) Jesus am I defending MHP ... NO. At the same time other tuners were saying there weren't any TCU maps. Which of course was also true for some of the ECUs. I believe MHP was also wrong in stating that they could do this for almost any mercedes ... which is wrong because some of the ecu's don't have the tcu maps inside.

End of rant.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
i cant wait to leave work tonight and go to drive my beast
Old 03-24-2009, 02:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none
Exclamation Mea Culpa

Hey All,

I need to call myself out for commenting about something I shouldn't have made an assumption about:

When Jeremy told me the car should feel like it's shifting faster, I guess he was referring to a throttle delay map or something, not a transmission map. The new tune kicks major *** and it just felt like it was shifting quicker. I shouldn't have said what the maps were without knowing more about it.

Sorry for any confusion I might have caused.

Josh
Old 03-24-2009, 08:03 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015

As a prevention method for such things from happening

Does one need to look at a/f from dyno runs on their car after the tune only or is there more to it?
Old 03-25-2009, 12:41 AM

12 Panamera S
Evosport / PC mod

I am planning to get a 2009 C63 next month and would like to get some confirmations on the following:

a) has anyone flashed the ECU with Evosport Powechip package (v1, v2 or v3) and confirm the 80+ hp gains (beside Evosport's own dyno results). there are too many threads going on saying 'it works' or 'it does not work -- only 15 hp'. Preferably, it is a So. California resident so i know he/she is using 91 oct gas. .

b) Anyone who knows a good deal for a C63 at any of the so. calif MB dealers? please don't refer FJ, they want to charge me the price of E63 for a C63. How much discount can i expect below MSRP at this terrible market condition now? I have read from $4K to $9K (not sure if they are east coast or west coast discount).

c) Can Evosport flash the ECU at its location on the same day or do they have to send it away for a couple of days?

d) do I have to break in the car before I flash the ECU? Also, do i have to Dyno tune the car in order to get the maximum output from the flash?

Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...Zhecks
Wow, after posting this message for 3 days with over 500+ viewers, no one come forward to confirm (a) - "confirming the 80+ bhp with Evosport/PowerChip ECU flash". Is this a good sign or bad sign
I just need someone to share his/her Evosport upgrade experience before taking my car in. I want to try Evosport out because they are only 20 min from my home.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
C63 guy has a whole thread on it, and his car was dyno'ed on an independent dyno.

If you are 20 minutes, come and do it. We will dyno it before and after and if you are not happy with the results, you can have the ECU flashed back to stock and pay nothing. =) Not sure how you can beat that offer!
Old 03-25-2009, 06:52 AM

C63 09' LSD traded for 2010 GT-R
I would break in the car with the stock tune. I put over 3k miles on the car before doing the RENNtech v2 tune on the car.
I understand the gains with latest cars are a bit less than the earlier cars, so manage your expectations. I saw approx 60hp at the wheels gain with my tune on my car, even if it was less you cannot beat the bang for the buck.
I do not think that there is too much majic with these tunes. I went the way I did because they are local, they stand behind their product and should I have any issues that arise they are close by to resolve them.
Best of luck the car is fantastic and you will enjoy it even more with the power it was intended to make.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:53 AM

C63 09' LSD traded for 2010 GT-R
Oh when you do get one, I highly suggest a LSD option