1st impressions: SCARY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 04:53 PM
Ape

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 TL; 2004 S2000; 2009 C63; 2009 ML350
1st impressions: SCARY

I finally have hit over 1000 miles and just got back from my initial run about 3500 RPMS and out of comfort mode. I have a bunch of empty country roads out where I live with no traffic to worry about so I had some space to see what the car can do. 1st impressions is that the car in crazy fast. I was not comfortable enough to take it over 80mph because I fear deer and the outside chance that a wayward officer of the peace may be bored and decide to wander down a country road.
With that said, I was able to finally try the manual and sport modes; I love the throttle blip it sounds so cool as you downshift, the steering seems as if it will allow the car to take corners much faster then I think I would ever get comfortable doing, and the sound of the 6.3 is amazing. The car seems to have endless power that I really don't see how anyone can ever really explore on public roads. I fear that I will never really test the depths that this car can handle, I don't intend to track it, and am too chicken (and have too much to lose) to get crazy out on the roads.
Overall a great car that I hope to be able to get to the point where I am not scared of what kind of trouble it may allow me to get into, but always respect that it can.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:32 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Sounds like you had some fun. Just give a few weeks, you'll get bored with the OEM power/torque. Something that always happens, even when you're making 600rw+.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Almost a Member!

Infiniti FX35
:-)

Originally Posted by Ape
I finally have hit over 1000 miles and just got back from my initial run about 3500 RPMS and out of comfort mode. I have a bunch of empty country roads out where I live with no traffic to worry about so I had some space to see what the car can do. 1st impressions is that the car in crazy fast. I was not comfortable enough to take it over 80mph because I fear deer and the outside chance that a wayward officer of the peace may be bored and decide to wander down a country road.
With that said, I was able to finally try the manual and sport modes; I love the throttle blip it sounds so cool as you downshift, the steering seems as if it will allow the car to take corners much faster then I think I would ever get comfortable doing, and the sound of the 6.3 is amazing. The car seems to have endless power that I really don't see how anyone can ever really explore on public roads. I fear that I will never really test the depths that this car can handle, I don't intend to track it, and am too chicken (and have too much to lose) to get crazy out on the roads.
Overall a great car that I hope to be able to get to the point where I am not scared of what kind of trouble it may allow me to get into, but always respect that it can.
I hear you

Yeah, drove the car today at my local dealership. I was on the freeway with the car for 5 minutes and was looking for the nearest offramp....the car is too fast and if you are not ready for the power, just pull over and get out.... Seriously, I entered the freeway doing 80 and did not know it. I was so disappointed because in my mind....I could not wait to open up the car....hell, it was open before I could challenge it. Its a fricken beast and if you don't be careful, it will get you in trouble.....FAST.

After a few minutes on the freeway, I told the guy I was sold and did not need to drive it anymore. Interesting though, the car was already in sport mode so I guess I experienced the best of the car. Funny, you know that look you give people when you pass them on the freeway, there is no time for that in this car.....because by the time you hit the gas, they are already behind you....you have to hit the brake just to see who you are passing.

Anyway, have fun and be safe.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:30 PM

AMG C63
Ape where are you at? You need to get involved with a car group
then get some instruction and THEN have some fun. You dont have to race it
just explore what you have!!!
Old 11-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Ape

Originally Posted by paulGT3
Ape where are you at? You need to get involved with a car group
then get some instruction and THEN have some fun. You dont have to race it
just explore what you have!!!
Cincinnati, OH. Yeah, I do need to get it out on the track to explore to limits of the car. I am a good driver, but have never had a car with this much power and potential
Old 11-09-2008, 10:44 PM

AMG C63
You THINK you are a good driver, I did too. And you probably are on the street. But when I got behind the wheel of my 911 TT on my first track day Ohhh Buy did I suck as a high performance driver. STILL I have alot to learn!! BUT everyone can use good instruction with a car like you have. It will only help you and it will help you with emergency situations you encounters on the street.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:55 AM
Ape

I hear you. I thought that I heard that if you buy an AMG they through in a day at a AMG driving school, but I have not seen anything on that? Is that something they used to do and no longer provide?

Trending Topics

Old 11-10-2008, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ape
I seriously hope you plan on keeping it well over 80 (if not, you wasted that extra 30k)...even a C180 can do that.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:39 AM
passcheco

Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
I seriously hope you plan on keeping it well over 80 (if not, you wasted that extra 30k)...even a C180 can do that.
0-80 its nothing its how you get there that counts
Old 11-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Ape

Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
80 on country roads is fast enough. Just because a car can go fast does not mean that you should become reckless with it. I have been well over 80 on the expressway, but on back roads it is just not worth it.

Also mine was only 14k more the the C350 that I had on order, if you are paying 30k more then a C350 that is a shame. Of course I was able to take advantage of the current "economic crisis" so I got lucky.

I hope you stay safe.