Sponsored by:

For the IS-F lovers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by CaThaFeR
nope wasnt me. i havent been back to rallye mb since i got the gl.. massapequa is closer for me for service so i normally go there

thank you guys for the non-hate of my car
no one hates the car. its always the car owner's attitude that people may like or dislike.

why would anyone hate a car lol
Old 12-05-2008, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by wuyichao
no one hates the car. its always the car owner's attitude that people may like or dislike.

why would anyone hate a car lol
Well you've obviously never driven the 1974 Plymouth Valiant.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:57 AM

'12 CTS-V
Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I just want to point out that the F is $7000 cheaper than the C63 and $12 000 cheaper than an M3 with similar equipment.
From Edmunds:

C63 MSRP: $56,300
M3 (sedan) MSRP: $54,500

IS-F MSRP: $56,610

I'm not great at math, but it looks to me like the IS-F is definitively the priciest of the bunch.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by blownS
From Edmunds:

C63 MSRP: $56,300
M3 (sedan) MSRP: $54,500

IS-F MSRP: $56,610

I'm not great at math, but it looks to me like the IS-F is definitively the priciest of the bunch.
what those prices don't indicate is that the IS-F only has 1 possible option at 4K, while the C63 and M3 can have 10K to 15K of options added on to those prices.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:28 AM

'12 CTS-V
Originally Posted by e1000
what those prices don't indicate is that the IS-F only has 1 possible option at 4K, while the C63 and M3 can have 10K to 15K of options added on to those prices.

Which is why everybody compares car values by using base MSRP (not options).
Old 12-05-2008, 10:29 AM

'08 IS F; '09 ML 320 Bluetec; '10 X5 35d
You are absolutely right.

It is only $4K for a fully loaded IS F. When I looked at the C63 and the M3 fully loaded the prices are not close. I'm guessing there are not many people buying base model super sedans.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:43 AM

S550
I don't know if it's true, but I heard Clarkson crashed the IS-F and they will have footage of it on Sunday's episode.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Uh...if you can afford a $60,000 car, you can afford a $65,000 car (or whatever those numbers works out to be). I'd be willing to pay more for the C63 than the IS-F even if it had exactly the same list of features.

The Lexus should be priced lower, because they haven't proven themselves in terms of performance, either on the track or on the street. They really ought to be priced lower to make it a viable proposition for people to give them a chance. Someday, when their reputation for performance has been enhanced, they could adjust their pricing.

Interesting comparison is what Honda did with the NSX. Even in spite of all their success in Formula One, in spite of getting Ayrton Senna to do some of the testing for the car, relatively few people were prepared to pay top dollar for a Japanese exotic.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the IS-F. It seems like a pretty fast car (I've not yet driven one). But it'd be hard to justify a price premium over the established players in the segment at this time. Give it some time, and things might change.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
That's not a fair comparison with the NSX, it was a popular car when it first came out but it didn't change in 10 years and when the horsepower wars started, it just fell out of favor. Honda's uber conservatism is what killed the NSX. I mean in 2003, it had less than 250hp! In an age where Subarus had 300 and Mercedes sedans had 460!
Old 12-05-2008, 11:42 AM

S550/Corvette
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Uh...if you can afford a $60,000 car, you can afford a $65,000 car (or whatever those numbers works out to be). I'd be willing to pay more for the C63 than the IS-F even if it had exactly the same list of features.

The Lexus should be priced lower, because they haven't proven themselves in terms of performance, either on the track or on the street. They really ought to be priced lower to make it a viable proposition for people to give them a chance. Someday, when their reputation for performance has been enhanced, they could adjust their pricing.

I understand your thought process so I see why you would think that the lexus should be priced lower. On the other hand I think the lexus is priced very fair being that its optioned so well even at the base price. Although I don't think I'd buy either of the three, I'd get a pre-owned M5 for that money
Old 12-05-2008, 12:06 PM

C55
the F in IS-F stands for circle F from the pre lexus era. Circle F is the project that became the lexus brand. also i think it means 'fast'?
Old 12-05-2008, 12:10 PM
passcheco

With all do respect why is this comms all about corollas, did we get burn out talking about our C63?
Old 12-05-2008, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by norb
That's not a fair comparison with the NSX, it was a popular car when it first came out but it didn't change in 10 years and when the horsepower wars started, it just fell out of favor. Honda's uber conservatism is what killed the NSX. I mean in 2003, it had less than 250hp! In an age where Subarus had 300 and Mercedes sedans had 460!
I don't disagree with you. I guess my point was that even if the NSX had Ferrari-equalling performance back in the early '90s, they certainly couldn't justify pricing it like a Ferrari. The fact that the IS-F is, today, sold at a slightly lower price when fully-optioned compared to its German counterparts is entirely logical.

I'm not slagging off the IS-F. I'm just trying to make sense of its pricing.

Peace.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:46 PM

C32
Interesting comparison is what Honda did with the NSX. Even in spite of all their success in Formula One, in spite of getting Ayrton Senna to do some of the testing for the car, relatively few people were prepared to pay top dollar for a Japanese exotic.
You couldn't be more wrong on this. When the NSX came out in 1990 practically people were lining up for it. It was the only production car on the market at the time that had an aluminum chassis and that was before the dollar to yen exchange rate shot up.

The problem that Honda ran into is the car had little changes over its next decade and charging a whopping 80+ K due to higher labor costs and no longer favorable exchange rates, while Porsche has made a significant list of improvements in its 911.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the IS-F. It seems like a pretty fast car (I've not yet driven one). But it'd be hard to justify a price premium over the established players in the segment at this time. Give it some time, and things might change.
Comparing the base MSRP of all 3 cars means taking out leather, moonroof, and practically every luxury feature you can find in the C and M. So there's no price premium that the ISF have over its competitors. Based on the performance figures alone however, Lexus should charge about 10% less.

Last edited by ultraseven; 12-05-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by ultraseven
You couldn't be more wrong on this. When the NSX came out in 1990 practically people were lining up for it. It was the only production car on the market at the time that had an aluminum chassis and that was before the dollar to yen exchange rate shot up.

The problem that Honda ran into is the car had little changes over its next decade and charging a whopping 80+ K due to higher labor costs and no longer favorable exchange rates, while Porsche has made a significant list of improvements in its 911.

Comparing the base MSRP of all 3 cars means taking out leather, moonroof, and practically every luxury feature you can find in the C and M. So there's no price premium that the ISF have over its competitors. Based on the performance figures alone however, Lexus should charge about 10% less.
No, no, I'm not talking about sales numbers. I bought two NSXs myself, so I know they're great cars and why people bought them. My point was that it would have been hard to justify a Ferrari-like price for that car back then even if it had Ferrari-like performance, and that's probably down to the fact that it (Honda/Acura) didn't have the prestige factor needed to warrant a much higher price.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by crazeazn
the F in IS-F stands for circle F from the pre lexus era. Circle F is the project that became the lexus brand. also i think it means 'fast'?
you're probably 100% right about this, but am I the only one who thinks it still sounds stupid???
Old 12-08-2008, 03:36 PM

2008 BMW 335i Coupe (Six-speed Manual)
you're probably 100% right about this, but am I the only one who thinks it still sounds stupid???
This is 100% wrong. The 'F' or at least the outer parts of the letter are designed after the first curve at the Fuji International Speedway, which Toyota owns. This is according to the IS-F test drive at the California Speedway, or whatever it's called now, I did a couple of months ago.

I drove the car in the inner track and it isn't that bad. I haven't driven a C63 or M3. The car is very quiet unless you rev it hard. Obviously Lexus has to catch up just brand-name wise, but it isn't a POS.

I swear some of the people here just got their driver's license.