Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 09:52 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by norb
Right, for the first 1000 miles? Everyone knows that we all trade our cars in at 1000 miles. Try again.
Just some info for you. And this is legit
At the AMG factory in germany 65 and SLR engines are bench tested for somthing like a full track day

They take a car that has been driven on a race track by a pro and record all the engine and RPM and braking parameters

they then load this onto the engines on the test bench after doing a few steps before hand and run it hard. I.e race track day by a pro hard

My opionon is do not drive it like you stole it form day one, but rather give it a good controled work out of the RPM's and speeds graduly through this period.Do not be afrid to let it strut its stuff, but not every time , untill after break in period is done and fluids are changed
Old 12-17-2008, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by regor60
You need to be banned for idiocy
stop being an *** maybe?
Old 12-17-2008, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EuroCharged 2012 C63 BS Coupè
OK...here I go

This topic has been beaten to death on this forum....

Re post from Aug 2008

Just my two cents, but my first MOD on my 2005 C55 and 2009 C63 was to remove those "Break-in" window stickers!!

Mercedes and AMG program the ECU to be very forgiving with high tolerances for average drivers. ie: a non enthusiast that might not follow service schedules, might use low grade fuel and otherwise not take good care of the vehicle. This is why companies like Kleemann can squeeze extra HP by chipping alone.

This also relates to the easy break-in outlined in the user manual. This breaks in the motor in a way that if the service schedule is not followed, poor grade fuel used or general abuse, there are pre existing tolerances in place to protect the motor.

"Spare the rod and spoil the child"

If you are an enthusiast, drive as you would normally right from the start. The first 40 Klm are the most important. Spirited(edit), steady acceleration in second and third gears to a high rev (5 to 6K RPM repeatedly) is critical to seat the piston rings solidly.
It is VERY important to let the engine warm to full operating temp and then run the first few minutes at moderate loads as to let the tranny fluid temp to catch up as well. The tranny needs to seat and seal over the first 1000 miles/1600 km. This will produce a smooth, responsive and very tight engine that will stay that way. Still follow the recommended scheduled first oil/filter change or if your like me change it out at around the first 3000 miles or 5000klm, and away you go.....

I'm not saying to go racing the first weekend but if you drive hard and smoothly through the gears right out of the gate you can expect to maintain top torque and HP numbers for the life of the engine. Follow the "recommended" break in and expect a 10 to 15 HP drop and for sure, lots of "cylinder blow by" in the years to come.

I realize this is a controversial topic and some may not trust this method with out a blessing form a higher power. Its not for everyone.

All I can say is that I have used this exact method for many engines over the years (and yes, the method has changed somewhat as engines and lubricants have become more sophisticated) All without issue and have produced tight, reliable top end performing motors that burn little or no oil. (the M156 has proven to consume more oil than previous AMG engines though)

The last engine was my 2005 C55 (M113.5.5). The newest one is new C63 (M156) when it arrived end of October.

The beauty of living where we do is that you can pretty much do what you want. Take it or leave it.

I can't stop hearing that little old Swami I met in '76 in the Valley of Ladakh saying:

"You can climb the tree of life, step out on a branch, but you will Never experience flight unless you jump"

I for one jumped and have never looked back.

Again....just my 2 cents

Last edited by NORTH 44 C63; 12-17-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by NORTH 44 C55
OK...here I go
Follow the "recommended" break in and expect a 10 to 15 HP drop and for sure, lots of "cylinder blow by" in the years to come.

Again....just my 2 cents
Oh come on, do you have any empirical data on this? Again, why would AMG, or any manufacturer for that matter, recommend a procedure that will make the HP rating be lower than advertised? That's just crazy.

And conversely to all you who claim to have driven it like you stole it from the get go, I've broken in all my cars to the manufacturer recommended procedure and have NEVER had any engine problems.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:01 AM

Received 47 Likes on 11 Posts
All the AMGs
similar prob

I had a similar problem with mine, but I did observe the running in method advised in the manual.

After taking it in for some wind noise problem I was having, the service manager advised me of an abnormal noise coming from the engine during acceleration. They kept it for a month, and tried to replace some parts, like the cylinder head(?) and other things.

Regardless, they weren't able to fix it, and they are now replacing it with an 09 model due to be built in March.

Hope that helps you somewhat.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
A lot of back and forth, all I can say is to be on the side of caution.

I would take it easy for the break-in period, get the service done, and not even worry about it. Some posts are legit, some are BS, some are opinions. The fact is in the manual, it says to do the break-in period and get the service done, so to be safe do that. Yeah, I know it may all girly and all but it is what it is.

To the OP, just take the car in for service, it's under warranty, and don't say anything about your "zoom zoom in the boom boom" exercise. You should be fine, post back what happened.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:21 AM

C63
Originally Posted by roken
I had a similar problem with mine, but I did observe the running in method advised in the manual.

After taking it in for some wind noise problem I was having, the service manager advised me of an abnormal noise coming from the engine during acceleration. They kept it for a month, and tried to replace some parts, like the cylinder head(?) and other things.

Regardless, they weren't able to fix it, and they are now replacing it with an 09 model due to be built in March.

Hope that helps you somewhat.
sounds like your previous car was haunted! lol j/k

you are very lucky!
Old 12-17-2008, 06:03 PM
passcheco

Originally Posted by AMGC43C55
Break in proceedures are for the birds and little girls! I have never followed ANY manufacturer recomended break-in period and NEVER had a problem.
You forgot to say and "to the smart ones"
Old 12-19-2008, 01:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300 MT, 350Z
try to break your amg, and good luck.. its not amg for nothing
Old 12-20-2008, 03:51 AM

07 jeepGCSRT8/04 SVT COBRA.....soon c63AMG
The best way to break your high performance vehicles in people are to drive them like you stole them. When my srt8 jeep had 35kms on it after being picked up on its birth day i hit 263km/hr on the way home. My jeep runs better then ever 66000kms later, fast, smooth, strong. Same goes for my 04 svt cobra and same will go for the amg.... Break ins are for pussies
Old 12-20-2008, 04:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by spartanc63amg
Break ins are for pussies
I can think of a few of those I'd like to break in.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
for the doubters, check out this website:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Old 12-20-2008, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Oliverk
for the doubters, check out this website:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Well thanks, next time I break in a motorcycle, I'll think about it.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Well thanks, next time I break in a motorcycle, I'll think about it.
care to explain why you think that these methods will not work on a car engine?

4 stroke is 4 stroke, regardless of what the engine is in.

I have used this method on my Cobra, and it makes great power for its combo.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63 AMG
Because the guy giving the "advice" is not an AMG engineer.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
I understand that, but what you seem not to understand is that an engine, AMG or not, uses the same IC 4 stroke cycles as an engine made by porsche, toyota, ford, or suzuki (in their motorcycles).

Whether the pistons say Mahle, JE, or CP, ring seal is achieved the same way.

In general, the factory recommended way most likely will not damage anything. However, neither will methodically breaking it in hard.

If something is going to break, its going to do it being run soft or hard. Increased throttle openings in the first 1000 miles is not going to snap a rod, break a valve, or melt a piston.

AMG engineers did not invent the ICE, nor are they the only ones that can make one that produces power.

I bet the factory backed racing program doesn't break in its motors like little girls.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350 4Matic
Norb, I dont think anyone here is saying DONT follow the recommendtions. We are simply saying to the OP the he need not worry aobut his action because the car is solid. So go ahead and care for your car. were just tring to help a bro who is stressed right now.

Some of teh guys are just telling their storyies and saing nothing happened to them and others are letting him know that the motors are designed strong. As far as fatory advice... well every car from every make is under rated to help protect the client incase of over load. If they gave out max numbers and someone over loaded their cars capacity then its game over, with no second chances.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63 AMG
I love the way you guys dole out the advice to go counter with what the FACTORY says we should break in a car. I mean, step back and read some of the crap that was posted on this thread alone! Really, in any other scenario, that kind of advice would be laughed at! And it does disservice to new owners of C63s when people advice them to basically throw out the manual, that the FACTORY wrote, on how to operate the car they DESIGNED!

In the end its your car, drive it the way you want, but all the BS about how the car won't make advertised power unless you gun it from the dealership, or how they've never had problems doing so in x amount of ownerships. That's just internet bravado. Did they buy two cars and then do a controlled experiment with base line dynos? Doubt it, but I bet AMG did! Listen to AMG!
Old 12-20-2008, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Norb, by your thought process, AMG engineers would be infallible and every single thing they've engineered is perfect. That is simply not the case.

You want to follow the manual and thats fine. but I'd certainly like to know what you think will be broken by getting on the gas in a methodical manner.

so I ask you the question, straight out:

What will a new C63 owner damage by following the instructions posted in my link?
Old 12-21-2008, 12:12 AM

AMG C63
Norb said:
How many of you guys are AMG engineers?
Norb, I am an engineer and I have been in to the AMG salesroom.
Zat count?
Old 12-21-2008, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63 AMG
Hey Paul, how would you feel when a non-engineer second guesses your results?
Old 12-21-2008, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
engineers do not write the owners manual.

lawyers do.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63 AMG
Oliver. Give it up. The manual is from Mercedes, if you think the engineers had nothing to do with writing it, then nothing can convince you. BTW, as I've stated, what possible conspiracy could these lawyers concoct in having us break in our cars easy? Again, tell us what advantage it is for Mercedes? Do you think they are playing a joke on you?
Old 12-21-2008, 09:36 AM

Oliver. Give it up. The manual is from Mercedes, if you think the engineers had nothing to do with writing it, then nothing can convince you. BTW, as I've stated, what possible conspiracy could these lawyers concoct in having us break in our cars easy? Again, tell us what advantage it is for Mercedes? Do you think they are playing a joke on you?
You think Mercedes is going to tell me to take a 400+ horsepower car through third and second gear up to 5000rpm’s for the first 100 miles? Can you even do that legally on our roads?

Think about it…..

I can see it in the manual… Please red line your car at every stoplight so that you can seat the rings. DO NOT worry about traffic laws b/c you drive an AMG and the police understand.

Could you imagine the legal implication if they put something like that (less sarcastic) into the owner’s manual?
Old 12-21-2008, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by ApproachingZero
You think Mercedes is going to tell me to take a 400+ horsepower car through third and second gear up to 5000rpm’s for the first 100 miles? Can you even do that legally on our roads?

Think about it…..

I can see it in the manual… Please red line your car at every stoplight so that you can seat the rings. DO NOT worry about traffic laws b/c you drive an AMG and the police understand.

Could you imagine the legal implication if they put something like that (less sarcastic) into the owner’s manual?
As supposed to just putting on there, "drive normally from time of deliver"? Think about it. Why would they even bother with the window sticker on the windshield. MB is going out of its way to give you the proper break in procedure.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I think I screwed my C63, please help