Sponsored by:

Transmission Leak and Other Potential Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 GLE450
Transmission Leak and Other Potential Issues

During my first differential fluid change I decided to have the engine oil changed just for good measure. The mechanic found a small amount of transmission fluid collected on the lower portion of the transmission housing where it mates up to the engine. It appeared that the transmission fluid was seeping out through the lower driver's side bolt and the engine/transmission housing surfaces. I hoped it was just a spill from the factory or some seepage during break-in so the mechanic wiped it clean and sent me on my way with a recommendation to keep an eye on things.

This weekend I decide to see if the fluid reappeared and sure enough, it's there. That means that the main seal of the transmission (where the transmission shaft protrudes from the housing) is leaking with the fluid running down in the cavity between the transmission and the engine only to find an area to leak out.

Upon careful inspection, it also appears as if the engine oil pan is seeping a slight amount of oil which collects around the rim of the pan. Not enough to drip onto the under tray but enough to be noticed.

Then there's the strange clacking sound that I can hear inside the car at lower speeds. It is not related to engine speed or vehicle speed and just slows, speeds, and stops randomly. Not sure what is causing it but it could be a servo or pump of some sort.

Has anyone else noticed any transmission fluid leaking on their cars? I am very surprised and disappointed considering the purported precision of the AMG build and the fact that I broke the car in per the recommended procedure. This will be a huge repair that will require the that the transmission be pulled out of the car. It is a very scary proposition to have the car dismantled at only 2800 miles. Not good.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:55 AM
Almost a Member!

05' 997 C2S cabriolet; 08' white C63
You are not alone. My C63 has 1600+ km on it and it's in the shop now for some kind of oil leaks. Didn't know what was wrong yet. Still waiting MB to call back.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:49 AM

'12 CTS-V
Originally Posted by rantarC63
Then there's the strange clacking sound that I can hear inside the car at lower speeds. It is not related to engine speed or vehicle speed and just slows, speeds, and stops randomly. Not sure what is causing it but it could be a servo or pump of some sort.
Sorry to hear about ur troubles.

I think I have that same "clacking" noise you're talking about. Doesn't happen all the time, but it usually occurs when I first start up the car and it's idling or moving slowly. It seems to go away after warm up.

VERY curious to get to the bottom of this...
Old 12-17-2008, 10:03 PM

2020 GLE450
I took my car in for servicing (MB of Pompano Beach) and got it back today. Here's the resolution.

As for the tapping/clacking sound, it was a bad purge valve. It was replaced and the tapping sound has completely disappeared. That's good news. In my car the sound appeared a couple of minutes after startup if the car was cold and immediately if the car was warm. It would start, increase in rate, and then stop. It would then start again. However, if the engine got above a certain rpm, then it would stop. If your car has the same symptoms, it could very well be the purge valve - something simple to fix.

Apparently there is a small rubber cover that can be removed when inspecting the area between the engine and transmission. The tech removed it and inspected the area. He reported that everything was dry and that there was no fluid left in the cavity that he could detect. The initial "leak" may have occurred during the initial break-in period and appears to have stopped. What leaked out and was visible may have been the residue. In any case, they want me to bring the car back after I log another 2,000 miles to check and see if there is more fluid. I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one!

Last edited by rantarC63; 12-17-2008 at 10:07 PM.