Sponsored by:

Winter Tire Technical Question~!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09' C63 AMG (Gisele)
Winter Tire Technical Question~!

This topic has been overly discussed on numerous events and threads here, but one last piece of information I believe has always been left behind from our discussions.

Our cars obviously require a special set of tires, and preferably a set that has been approved and tested by Mercedes-Benz. Yes, we all now know that it is just a matter of preference to use whatever size or brand tire that we want, however, should we take into account the Tire ratings?

For example:

The Pirelli winter tires that are advised to be used with our C63s are the:

235/40 R18 Pirelli 240 SottoZero Series II, but the part that we never discussed is whether or not it is important if the Tire is not specifically designated for a Mercedes, and it is designated for Porsche.

Pirelli has the same set of tires available for Porsche, but it categorizes the tire as N1 for Porsche with a 91V rating, and MO for Mercedes with a 95V rating.

So my question to you fine ladies & gentlemen is:

Should tire designation be taken into account when purchasing any tire? Or more specifically our winter tires. Would it be of hazard if 91V N1 Tires were put on a C63? As oppose to the 95V MO designated tires.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EuroCharged 2012 C63 BS Coupè
Originally Posted by mrtesting
This topic has been overly discussed on numerous events and threads here, but one last piece of information I believe has always been left behind from our discussions.

Our cars obviously require a special set of tires, and preferably a set that has been approved and tested by Mercedes-Benz. Yes, we all now know that it is just a matter of preference to use whatever size or brand tire that we want, however, should we take into account the Tire ratings?

For example:

235/40 R18 Pirelli 240 SottoZero Series II, but the part that we never discussed is whether or not it is important if the Tire is not specifically designated for a Mercedes, and it is designated for Porsche.

Pirelli has the same set of tires available for Porsche, but it categorizes the tire as N1 for Porsche with a 91V rating, and MO for Mercedes with a 95V rating.

Should tire designation be taken into account when purchasing any tire? Or more specifically our winter tires. Would it be of hazard if 91V N1 Tires were put on a C63? As opposed to the 95V MO designated tires.
Yes.

I looked carefully at the Load Rating before I purchased my Sottozero's. I sought advice from TireRack, Steelcase Tire in Markham(Dave) and our parts Manager at MB Thornhill(Neil). All suggested to go with the higher Load Index of 95(165lb difference) due to the Torque the C63 is producing. You should be running the 95V

Last edited by NORTH 44 C63; 12-17-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:07 PM

09' C63 AMG (Gisele)
Thank you very much for the help Barry!
Old 12-17-2008, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your welcome. This was one of my many projects to keep myself busy pre delivery.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:25 PM

09' C63 AMG (Gisele)
Just curious.. do you have any pre-racing or auto mechanics experience? You are very knowledgeable in both field..
Old 12-17-2008, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mrtesting

For example:

Should tire designation be taken into account when purchasing any tire? Or more specifically our winter tires. Would it be of hazard if 91V N1 Tires were put on a C63? As oppose to the 95V MO designated tires.
The MO designation is not important, but the Load Index is. Do not buy a tire with a load index rating lower than required. Since Porsches are lighter, they can use tires with a lower load index.

That being said, one could run 95 load index tires on a Porsche, just not 91 on the MB.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just a family full of Muscle cars in the late 60's and 70's. A 68 Shelby 500KR was most interesting.. Cart raced a lot in that time too. Also had a string of MG's and Triumphs that kept me under the hood many a night. Pushed a few further than I drove them LOL. They taught me and gave me a good base on engines.

The rest I just picked up along the way from guys with way more smarts in this department than I will ever have. Stuff sticks thankfully.

Trending Topics

Old 12-17-2008, 11:30 PM

09' C63 AMG (Gisele)
Wow! That's insane Barry! True petrol head..

And I took the 95 without questioning anyways.. I was just asking to add to my own knowledge. It always interests me to find out more and more about automobiles and the important factors that need to be taken into account.