C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering a C63 this week, need help - PP or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
Originally Posted by DaGS1800
+1

People who think otherwise have never driven one with it therefore have no idea...
then I wont drive one and be satisfied with what I got, since its too late
Old 04-04-2009, 05:05 PM

09' C63 AMG
Well you know what they say... What you don't know, doesn't hurt you.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63
Not intending to be a dick here but I am honestly a little puzzled. Why would a so called "performance" car even be sold without the items in the PP as standard equipment? Isn’t a performance car purchased by a driving enthusiast? And doesn't every driving enthusiast live to powerslide (Drift) and absolutely crave moving the cars *** around using power through a limited slip? (On the street or on the track) And isn’t saving every once in unsprung weight important? (With the PP compound front rotors)
If someone doesn’t want a particular car to be set up the best the manufacturer intended it, maybe that person should be looking at a lesser car.
I just don’t see the point, or the attraction of our cars without the PP. Many people here on the forum seem to come down hard on those “poseurs” who badge up a base car with AMG bits. Isn’t watering down a C63 making one a bit of a poseur?
To me a C63 without PP is a 335i. A fantastic car I really love, but just not as focused and hardcore as a C63.
I think we are so fortunate for every performance oriented aspect and component that’s available on the car from the factory, that we don’t have to screw around and source it aftermarket and with no warranty. Further, even though one single particular part may not make a huge difference, all those parts together do make the car even more special.
I love all the PP components and the only concern I have is that the very firm, sometimes harsh suspension may loosed the car up over time sooner than if it had a more compliant suspension. That and I think the CF interior is a bit pricey for something that is for looks alone. This is also my first Alcantara covered steering wheel and I love it. PP is where its at!
Old 04-05-2009, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a durr
Originally Posted by Multispeed
Not intending to be a dick here but I am honestly a little puzzled. Why would a so called "performance" car even be sold without the items in the PP as standard equipment? Isn’t a performance car purchased by a driving enthusiast? And doesn't every driving enthusiast live to powerslide (Drift) and absolutely crave moving the cars *** around using power through a limited slip? (On the street or on the track) And isn’t saving every once in unsprung weight important? (With the PP compound front rotors)
If someone doesn’t want a particular car to be set up the best the manufacturer intended it, maybe that person should be looking at a lesser car.
I just don’t see the point, or the attraction of our cars without the PP. Many people here on the forum seem to come down hard on those “poseurs” who badge up a base car with AMG bits. Isn’t watering down a C63 making one a bit of a poseur?
To me a C63 without PP is a 335i. A fantastic car I really love, but just not as focused and hardcore as a C63.
I think we are so fortunate for every performance oriented aspect and component that’s available on the car from the factory, that we don’t have to screw around and source it aftermarket and with no warranty. Further, even though one single particular part may not make a huge difference, all those parts together do make the car even more special.
I love all the PP components and the only concern I have is that the very firm, sometimes harsh suspension may loosed the car up over time sooner than if it had a more compliant suspension. That and I think the CF interior is a bit pricey for something that is for looks alone. This is also my first Alcantara covered steering wheel and I love it. PP is where its at!
You'll be surprised at the amount of locals around here that buy the C63 because it is the most expensive of the C-class and have no idea what AMG is.

Also regarding your statement on why this car will even be sold without the PP is probably a result of the bean counters at Mercedes who figure they could charge more.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
i think as enthusiasts we under-estimate the power of a stock C63...and by power I mean the overall ability of the car...not all of us are well trained drivers

I for one can admit I like to drive hard but I dont by any means consider myself a great driver...I will keep ESP on at all times and dont really mash the pedal. I occaisionally like to have some fun, but only during times I deem to be "safe". i think AMG has a great approach. Theres different levels of drivers, and for that, they created different levels of performance...
Old 04-05-2009, 07:25 AM

C63 507 (2014) GLK350(2011)
Originally Posted by C63northvan
Hello all...i will be ordering my C63 before the end of next week, need some advice, don't know if i should go for performance package or not?. the only thing holding me back it the ride comfort!! how much stiffer is this car with PP compared with ones without?
Also, how bad is this car on fuel....my guess is really bad !!
Seems that no one answer your fuel question. If you buy a C63 don't even think about gas milage. I have mine for 300 KM max for a full Tank $72CAD. I have to gas it every 3-5 days on a daily driving in Downtown vancouver to and from Richmond.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:36 PM

2009 C63 AMG, 2004 Jetta
Originally Posted by C63vancouver
Seems that no one answer your fuel question. If you buy a C63 don't even think about gas milage. I have mine for 300 KM max for a full Tank $72CAD. I have to gas it every 3-5 days on a daily driving in Downtown vancouver to and from Richmond.

thank you !! not the best, could be worst
Old 04-06-2009, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by C63vancouver
Check post #19.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:58 PM

C63 507 (2014) GLK350(2011)
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Check post #19.
My bad
Old 04-06-2009, 11:49 PM

The PP, makes the car more jumpy, hard?. Why some of you say that is not soft enough for the city?. I have to take my personal decition this week and I think that the diferential must gave a must on this car.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:15 AM

09' C63 AMG
+1

Well said, It sucks that we had to pay for the PP. However def worth it and something you must have on this car IMO... Plus, our cars are now more special since most other people who opt not to get the PP are just oblivious.

The alcantara steering wheels is def sick, everyone I show my car too absolutely loves it also.

Nothing feels better than the rush while drifting or sliding this car (SAFELY) around a corner or turn knowing that you can’t lose complete control of the back of the car. AWESOME!
Anyone who tires this with the traction completely off is def going to spin out or lose control unless you posses excellent/professional driving abilities... Even if you do, it is still extremely unsafe to do this on the street with the traction completely off...
Old 04-07-2009, 03:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a durr
+1

Well said, It sucks that we had to pay for the PP. However def worth it and something you must have on this car IMO... Plus, our cars are now more special since most other people who opt not to get the PP are just oblivious.

The alcantara steering wheels is def sick, everyone I show my car too absolutely loves it also.

Nothing feels better than the rush while drifting or sliding this car (SAFELY) around a corner or turn knowing that you can’t lose complete control of the back of the car. AWESOME!
Anyone who tires this with the traction completely off is def going to spin out or lose control unless you posses excellent/professional driving abilities... Even if you do, it is still extremely unsafe to do this on the street with the traction completely off...

I've done that before, held the drift perfectly with ESP off in M mode in a car with out the PP.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
This thread has opened up a new can of worms for me, since I want to make sure I get all the research done before I order my C63 later on this year.

At first I was set on not wanting PP, but I'm now open to understanding more about it.

First off, can someone explain to me what is included in the PP?

To my knowledge it is:

1.) LSD
2.) Top speed de-limiter from 155 to 170 something.
3.) Much stiffer suspension.
4.) Alcantara steering wheel.

Also, what are the benefits of an LSD for practical (driving a nice road on the weekend) and non-practical (drifting around a track) reasons?
In short, what exactly, does an LSD do?

I'm mostly concerned with the suspension. I plan to have my C63 as a weekend car only; I typically like to drive around the city and/or on nice bits of highway during the weekend, and usually choose routes with better asphalt. I'm also planning on getting 19" rims (not sure which ones yet), and most likely will not lower it, since many owners have confirmed minimal gaps on stock suspension.

So, for the owners with PP, what are your impressions of the suspension/ride comfort so far? Since I believe the C63 was designed for having 19's to begin with, I don't really think it will affect ride comfort much?

Thoughts?
Old 04-07-2009, 01:49 PM

C63
1. There is always an aftermarket LSD that is better than stock... although I can't Google for 1 Problem is the labor rate would probably be crazy since that is basically pulling out the whole rear section on the car.
2. Get an ECU tune and that solves your problem and you get 80 HP too!
3. Its only a 10% difference in stiffness in springs i believe its the same shock.
4. Looks nice and feels nice but not that important.
5. Now the brake thing kinda bothers me...

Last edited by arctichaze; 04-07-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a durr
LSD gives continuous power to both rear wheels as opposed to the wheel with least resistance in an Open Diff. In short it's bit better in the corners at putting power down as opposed to just spinning the inside tire.

The stiffer suspension is only because of the springs.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:43 PM

C63
For the sake of argument and lets not rely on the butt dyno or butt lap timer.

Is there a back to back lap comparison of a non-PP vs a PP c63 posted somewhere?
Old 04-07-2009, 04:17 PM

2009 C63 AMG, 2013 ML350 BlueTec, 2012 VW GLI
If you like to drag race every car in sight than go for it. If you're gonna take off-ramps and on-ramps at 200 Km/h then go for it. Otherwise, spend the extra cash on other stuff for the car or yourself. The steering wheel you is great, the stock shocks are great and you can always add a Quaife LSD later if you really need to. In my opinion, its just not a necessity in order to enjoy this car.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:25 PM

09' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by yooker
I've done that before, held the drift perfectly with ESP off in M mode in a car with out the PP.
So have I, but that’s not the point... You couldn’t do that driving really hard 10 out of 10 times, that’s my point...

Plus you are more hesitant to give a lot of gas with the traction completely off, where as with the LSD you can do it as hard as possible

LSD is a must!
Old 04-07-2009, 06:33 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by PatSC23
i think as enthusiasts we under-estimate the power of a stock C63...and by power I mean the overall ability of the car...not all of us are well trained drivers

I for one can admit I like to drive hard but I dont by any means consider myself a great driver...I will keep ESP on at all times and dont really mash the pedal. I occaisionally like to have some fun, but only during times I deem to be "safe". i think AMG has a great approach. Theres different levels of drivers, and for that, they created different levels of performance...
+1
Old 04-07-2009, 06:36 PM

2009 C63 AMG
+1

I understand that people like what they like but what I don't understand is how some people get on here and bash others because of their choices. That just doesn't make sense to me. All in all we all have great cars if you own a PP C63 or non PP C63.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:38 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Morro
If you like to drag race every car in sight than go for it. If you're gonna take off-ramps and on-ramps at 200 Km/h then go for it. Otherwise, spend the extra cash on other stuff for the car or yourself. The steering wheel you is great, the stock shocks are great and you can always add a Quaife LSD later if you really need to. In my opinion, its just not a necessity in order to enjoy this car.
+1
Old 04-07-2009, 06:43 PM

09' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by hawtheric1
I understand that people like what they like but what I don't understand is how some people get on here and bash others because of their choices. That just doesn't make sense to me. All in all we all have great cars if you own a PP C63 or non PP C63.
Ok buddy... You purchased a 60-70k C63 AMG to drive with the ESP on at all times and never mash the gas pedal???

Wow that makes no sense to me... Might as well have gotten the C350 and saved some dough...

But I guess you’re definitely right, we are all entitled to our opinion and I was just stating mine… I didn’t mean to bash anyone else’s car.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
LOL it is the internet. People would probably choose sides and wig out over red versus green M&Ms.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
Disregard DaGS1800, every comment he makes is negative, his choice is the best, his car is the best, his color choice is the best, his attempt to sound intelligent.....not working. All he does is bash and criticize peoples taste, their choices and their decisions, Dags you are a loser and goof, you are embarrassing to every C63 owner here, people like you make the rest of us look like uneducated, pompas, shovanistic pigs. Get over yourself. ANd yes, you can post a reply to this and it will only make you look like more of a loser with your lame response, so do yourself a favor, dont embarass yourself any longer.....the consensus here is no one cares what you say and your embarassing.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a durr
So have I, but that’s not the point... You couldn’t do that driving really hard 10 out of 10 times, that’s my point...

Plus you are more hesitant to give a lot of gas with the traction completely off, where as with the LSD you can do it as hard as possible

LSD is a must!
Taking it to the road course in June, will see how well a non-PP car does. If I find the car to be insufficient in the handling department from the lack of a LSD, i'll be sure to look into one aftermarket. Quaiffe LSD to be exact.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ordering a C63 this week, need help - PP or not?