C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering a C63 this week, need help - PP or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 AMG, 2004 Jetta
Talking Ordering a C63 this week, need help - PP or not?

Hello all...i will be ordering my C63 before the end of next week, need some advice, don't know if i should go for performance package or not?. the only thing holding me back it the ride comfort!! how much stiffer is this car with PP compared with ones without?
Also, how bad is this car on fuel....my guess is really bad !!

Last edited by C63northvan; 03-31-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 Kleeman; CLS63 Renntech; Kirkham 427S/C; 308 GTB; 911T 3.0 911 cab 3.6
PP not stiff enough. I couldn't imagine the car without it.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
If you plan on tracking this car, the PP would be optimal, if not the regular setup is stiff enough, I had the pleasure of driving a "regular" C63 on a very good road circuit in Dallas and the car was phenomenal. Brakes outstanding etc, and I drove many other AMG models that day back to back for many many laps and the C63 was one of the best of the bunch....BTW, there were quite a few MBWorld members who attended this same event that I did for those three days and they're thoughts are as the same as mine.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:36 PM

C63 AMG
I had this same issue, however both were on the showroom floor at the dealer. They had the same car with and without PP. I was like for two days trying to figure it out. The major reason I was even thinking the PP car was because it also had the carbon package.

After two days of deliberations, and a few phone calls to some friends at Daimler (I'm ex-Chrysler employee) I determined that for the cost of the PP, I could get a lot more by going aftermarket. So I bought the non-PP car, and I'm adding the Kleeman K2 (ECU tune + Headers) instead, and letting my dealer do the Kleeman upgrade so they support me later with any potential warranty issues down the line. I don't need the suspension because I'm not on track very often, LSD means nothing to me driving to work, and it wasn't worth the extra money for the performance. I think I'll be happier this way.

If you are seriously going to be tracking this car, you'll want aftermarket goodies anyways. There is better aftermarket suspension out there than what comes on the PP for probably the same amount of $ if not less.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:41 PM

09' C63 AMG
Not even worth debating this... DEFINATELY MUST GET THE PP PACKAGE
Old 03-31-2009, 09:48 PM

09' C63 AMG
You will be sorry if you don’t get the PP PACKAGE, here is why
1.The suspension: amazing
2.The LSD: an absolute MUST
3.The steering wheel: SICK! (I GET SOOO MANY COMENTS ABOUT IT)
4.The brakes: BETTER! (WHY GO AFTERMARKET, these are sick and covered by warranty)
5.The lop limit removal: AWESOME RUSH (if you got a pair of *****...)

THIS IS A 70k SPORTS CAR!!! HOW CAN YOU NOT GET THE "PERFORMANCE PACKAGE"

C'MON MAN THIS IS A NO BRAINER....

PEOPLE WHO SAY ITS NOT WORTH IT HAVE NEVER DRIVEN A C63 WITH IT ( THEY HAVE NO CLUE!!)
Old 03-31-2009, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DaGS1800
4.The brakes: BETTER! (WHY GO AFTERMARKET, these are sick and covered by warranty)

PEOPLE WHO SAY ITS NOT WORTH IT HAVE NEVER DRIVEN A C63 WITH IT ( THEY HAVE NO CLUE!!)
DO you track your car regularly? I dont seem to recall any of your posts stating that you do, your brakes how are they so "sick" have you threshold braked an entire afternoon? and the speed delimiter, where do you take your car to its top speed, I guess 155mph is not good enough, oh wait, you must "have a pair of *****". SO, please give us some real feedback, not the "I drive hard on the street man"
Old 03-31-2009, 09:57 PM

C63 AMG

I can tell you this much from my experiances racing motorcycles. Unless you are very naturally talented, you can not drive this car to its limits with or without the PP. If its a TRUE track car, unless you have real talent where components will actually lower your lap times, you are wasting your money. Most of us could spend $100K in upgrades on our cars, and some guy with talent can take a stock one and smoke your lap times. I learned this the hardway. I spent $20K in upgrades on my motorcycle (Ducati 749R) with suspension, motor work, etc., only to get my *** handed to me by a guy on a POS old 250 cc Aprilia.

I'm not talented enough to worry about LSD, suspension, or brakes beyond what AMG gave me without the PP. If the day ever comes that I am that talented, I'll worry about it then.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by dan30252
I can tell you this much from my experiances racing motorcycles. Unless you are very naturally talented, you can not drive this car to its limits with or without the PP. If its a TRUE track car, unless you have real talent where components will actually lower your lap times, you are wasting your money. Most of us could spend $100K in upgrades on our cars, and some guy with talent can take a stock one and smoke your lap times. I learned this the hardway. I spent $20K in upgrades on my motorcycle (Ducati 749R) with suspension, motor work, etc., only to get my *** handed to me by a guy on a POS old 250 cc Aprilia.

I'm not talented enough to worry about LSD, suspension, or brakes beyond what AMG gave me without the PP. If the day ever comes that I am that talented, I'll worry about it then.

I'm a guy who doesn't mind if a car has hard suspension and I don't miss having the PP. Not tracking the car.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:12 PM

09' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by 1st amg
DO you track your car regularly? I dont seem to recall any of your posts stating that you do, your brakes how are they so "sick" have you threshold braked an entire afternoon? and the speed delimiter, where do you take your car to its top speed, I guess 155mph is not good enough, oh wait, you must "have a pair of *****". SO, please give us some real feedback, not the "I drive hard on the street man"
Hahaha I don’t need to prove anything to you, especially if I track or not. However, I have done so a few times. Yes I do use my brakes to their full capacity at times; they actually saved my *** by literally a centimeter today! So my guess is that without the upgrade I would have not been so lucky today.

As far as going faster than 155MPH, do I go that fast every day? NO, but me personally if I’m going to buy a car like this why have ANYTHING limiting it...

As far as feedback... I couldn’t care less if your stupid a$$ believes me or not, im just trying to help out and give my opinion to some future C63 owners.
You opted NOT to purchase a "performance package" on an absolute beast sports car, that sounds retarded to me, almost like an oxymoron IMO.

Don’t cry now because you didn’t get it... No one cares. How bout you tell me one reason you why wouldn’t get it (besides price, because if you don’t have the money, you obviously can’t get it)
Old 03-31-2009, 10:15 PM

09' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by dan30252
In a way you contradicted yourself here, the LSD actually helps contain the vehicle while drifting or power sliding if you are not talented enough to do so when it is completely off...
Old 03-31-2009, 10:18 PM

09' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by 1st amg
SO, please give us some real feedback, not the "I drive hard on the street man"
Where is your feedback?

Where is your reasoning for opting to NOT purchase the PP package...

Try proving me WRONG rather than just being an F'in HATER
Old 03-31-2009, 10:20 PM

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GT-R
The PP option was not available to me when I bought my car (first shipment), but had it been, I probably would not have opted for it mainly because I planned to mod my car from the beginning. If you plan to do the same thing, then I would save the money and piece together your own PP package because there are superior parts to be had.

1. Suspension: If you truly want the best setup for this car, the PP suspension won't touch the KW V3 coilovers. I'm not sure if this has ever been confirmed so don't quote me on this, but I think the only difference with the PP suspension is stiffer springs. IMO, stiffer springs is not what the C63 needs. With coilovers, not only do you get a less harsher ride, the handling is a night and day difference. Basically, even on medium setting you do not sacrifice any performance, in fact you increase performance greatly. For street driving, I found the stiff suspension on the C63 to hurt grip even. From what I understand, the CLK Black Series comes from the factory with KW coilovers.

2. LSD: This is probably the one option that would make me really want the PP package. Not necessarily a must for street driving, especially since from what numerous people have told me this will not help in straight line acceleration. But if you plan to track the car everyone seems to be in agreement a LSD is very helpful with this much power. You do have the option upgrading to an aftermarket Quaifie (sp?) LSD though.

3. Alcantara Steering Wheel: Personal preference. I've grown to like alcantara interiors and admit I would like to have this steering wheel, although I'd rather see the alcantara on the top and bottom as opposed to the sides. I'm worried about the wear and tear down the road, whereas the leather steering wheel will look like new for years.

4. Brakes: The only difference between the brakes on the C63 and PP C63 are the 2-piece front rotors, which saves about 6 lbs/corner on the front. The rear rotors are the same. I'd rather upgrade to the Evosport rear 2-piece rotors which save 7 lbs/corner, and in addition is weight saved on your drive wheels, thus freeing up HP.

5. Top speed limit removal: Useless if you plan to get a tune. With an ECU tune you'll have it removed anyway, AND gain more POWER!

In the end you'll spend more buying aftermarket parts to piece together your own performance package than you would ordering the PP package from the factory, and if you have no plans to modify your car then the factory PP package is a great option. However if you do plan to mod, most of the PP parts will become obsolete when you upgrade to superior hardware.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Where is your feedback?

Where is your reasoning for opting to NOT purchase the PP package...

Try proving me WRONG rather than just being an F'in HATER
I received one of the first 2008's, so it wasnt available when I recieved my car, but its okay to post those big swear words, I assume you are a little person with a small ego, and your right, your car is the best, I wish I could have one.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
I disagree with the guys that say PP is a MUST -

you can't assume that every guy with a C63 drives it like they stole it -

i personally will NEVER track the car and probably never light up the tires, and since its my only car and dont need the better suspension, I dont want the stiffer ride.

IMO im a good enough driver to keep my car straight with the base differential because I dont pretend like im good enough to drive w/o traction control.

To say someone cant afford a $3k option on a $70k car doesnt make sense, but I did find a different way to spend it in 19" wheels since Im happy with the performance of the car the way it comes, but not happy with 18's.

if you're tracking it then definitely get it, if not, then you have a choice to make.
Ror me, never considered it.

1.) dont track it
2.) wont ever go near 186
3.) hate alcantara (i dislike carbon fiber as well- i know, blasphemy)

Last edited by PatSC23; 03-31-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:57 PM

c63
p30

I ordered today with the p30. Prior to ordering I checked with the MB dealer about replacing the springs with the non p30 springs. $1070 materials and labor. I'll drive it and if I don't like them, I'll switch. I would not get the car without the lsd.

Ordered steel grey, all options, including carbon. Car is in port and should be delivered in the next couple days.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by PatSC23
I disagree with the guys that say PP is a MUST -

you can't assume that every guy with a C63 drives it like they stole it -

i personally will NEVER track the car and probably never light up the tires, and since its my only car and dont need the better suspension, I dont want the stiffer ride.

IMO im a good enough driver to keep my car straight with the base differential because I dont pretend like im good enough to drive w/o traction control.

To say someone cant afford a $3k option on a $70k car doesnt make sense, but I did find a different way to spend it in 19" wheels since Im happy with the performance of the car the way it comes, but not happy with 18's.

if you're tracking it then definitely get it, if not, then you have a choice to make.
Ror me, never considered it.

1.) dont track it
2.) wont ever go near 186
3.) hate alcantara (i dislike carbon fiber as well- i know, blasphemy)
Well said. I'm not big on the alcantara either. Personal preference.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:10 AM

2009 C63 AMG, 2004 Jetta
Originally Posted by GBlansten
Well said. I'm not big on the alcantara either. Personal preference.

wow...you guys are great, thank you so much...gotta sit down and really decide !! wish me luck
and its funny how nobody commented on the fuel consumption! i guess you guys are true fans and don't care!! this is my first V8 beast and i think i'm is for a surprise
Old 04-01-2009, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by C63northvan
wow...you guys are great, thank you so much...gotta sit down and really decide !! wish me luck
and its funny how nobody commented on the fuel consumption! i guess you guys are true fans and don't care!! this is my first V8 beast and i think i'm is for a surprise
I typically get 250 to 270 km to a tank of gas. If this is of concern to you, you might want to consider other vehicles. I know the IS F gets upwards of 400 km to a tank, and the RS4 (which is probably a more suitable car if you live on the North Shore) also gets something close to that.

Happy shopping.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:01 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Hello all...i will be ordering my C63 before the end of next week, need some advice, don't know if i should go for performance package or not?. the only thing holding me back it the ride comfort!! how much stiffer is this car with PP compared with ones without?
I didn't get the PP basically because I didn't feel as though it was necessary. Sure, I would have liked to have had it but didn't see the necessity of it. Basically, I will likely never track the car, my brakes are good enough and it's plenty fast without the PP. I would have liked to have had that cool steering wheel though:-) If I had to do it all over again, I would make the same decision. Mind you, I have never driven a C63 with the full PP so that is where my experience is limited.

Either way, I don't think you'll be disappointed with whatever choice you make. If you've got the cash go ahead and get the full PP. Then this way you won't look back and say, "man, I should've...."

Happy and safe driving.

hawth
Old 04-01-2009, 12:11 PM

C63
You guys are lucky there. In my country, a C63 cost USD $130K incl. duties & taxes. And the PP price is a bull**** $ 13K. So no PP on my car. You can get a lot of parts for 13K.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Folks who have the PP (I don't), can you please chime in with which shift lever you guys got? Jeffield's PP car has the all-aluminum shift lever which, from what I can gather, is the same one as that in a regular C-Class. The one on mine is aluminum in the front and leather in the back.

I'm curious to know why the PP car came with what seemed like a more ordinary shifter.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EuroCharged 2012 C63 BS Coupè
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Folks who have the PP (I don't), can you please chime in with which shift lever you guys got? Jeffield's PP car has the all-aluminum shift lever which, from what I can gather, is the same one as that in a regular C-Class. The one on mine is aluminum in the front and leather in the back.

I'm curious to know why the PP car came with what seemed like a more ordinary shifter.
Stock P30 shift Knob is the same as the Non P30. I added this one that I have in my C55. Its Black all around with engraved top AMG emblem.

As far as going with the P30 or not.... I have driven both but I am partial to the P30 package equipped C63. Don't get me wrong, the Non P30-C63 is a fantastic drive but having the P30 just kicks it up a notch. Is it worth the extra $6k? If you have it to spare go for it. You won't be disappointed. Either way you are in for a great car. Congartulations
Attached Thumbnails Ordering a C63 this week, need help - PP or not?-dsc01377.jpg  

Last edited by NORTH 44 C63; 04-01-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:30 PM

09 C63 steel grey
My $.02 is that if you are having a really hard time deciding about the PP then you most likely will be happy without it. I think most of the people who wind up getting the PP don't spend a great deal of time debating it - they pretty much made 90+% of the decision when they heard that the option existed. I'm not commenting on the value of the PP or the difference it makes in the vehicle - I have no doubt that it does make a difference and that it is worth it. Just stating the obvious, that people have different personalities, tastes, and requirements.

I did not get the PP, mostly though because my dealer was kind of an idiot. I had to inform him of all the options available. He told me it was going to take about 4 months to get the car, but he never had any updates when I called about once a month. I was thinking about trying to add PP or just the LSD about 5-6 weeks after ordering then week 7 he calls and says the cars in port.

I missed my chance to order/add the PP, but I love the car as it is. Don't stress out too much, I mean come on, how many things in life can you actually guarantee? At least one thing ... No matter what options you choose or don't choose I guarantee you will love your C63. (unless you choose not to get it, but now I'm just rambling)
Old 04-01-2009, 12:40 PM

C63
if you track your car regularly, i think PP is a must, its nice to have LSD and bigger brakes.

if you dont, its a waste of money imo.

PP and CF trim add my car to a total of 70k, while i could get a C63 it at 65k.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ordering a C63 this week, need help - PP or not?